Ardent Speaker Camp

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Face
    • Mar 2007

Jon also inspired me to build the speaker on the floor. The second one still isn't complete as I wandered onto other projects for right now, but I plan to finish them by the end of the summer.

Image not available
    Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 13:58 Monday. Reason: Remove broken image link
    SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• 5th element
      Supreme Being Moderator
      • Sep 2009

Face, may I ask you how you arrived at the finish on your W12/Air Circ/W26FX? Is this your typical paint sand paint sand paint sand paint sand polish job or did the final layer of paint do all the hard work?

I remember seeing a thread where a semi gloss/satin finish was arrived at simply by the paint used but I cannot remember which one that was now!
      What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
      5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
      Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• Face
        • Mar 2007

I dropped it off at my friend's body shop and had him paint them with some sort of high fill primer and automotive paint. TBH, they didn't come out all that well. They look great from the listening position, but up there's some imperfections and the edges sucked in some paint. Fortunately, it only cost me the wholesale price of the primer or I would have been really upset. At some point I'll bring them to someone else to respray them.

Comment

• dwk
          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by JonMarsh
          I really want to get these wrapped and move on to the NHT Xds crossover build; will try those out at the girlfriend's.
          Not to hijack too much, but what are you planning for woofers for the Xds? I remember seeing your xover schematic, but not a full description of the plans for the system. I "cheaped out" and am running my Xds with a pair of RSS-210 in 1 cu ft sealed each. Very happy with the results, although pretty sad that this is my uber-high-end system whereas it's your 'relegate to the girlfriends place' system.....

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by dwk
            Not to hijack too much, but what are you planning for woofers for the Xds? I remember seeing your xover schematic, but not a full description of the plans for the system. I "cheaped out" and am running my Xds with a pair of RSS-210 in 1 cu ft sealed each. Very happy with the results, although pretty sad that this is my uber-high-end system whereas it's your 'relegate to the girlfriends place' system.....

Too many possibilities! Have Aurasound 10's, Aurasound 12's, some odds and ends of RS series sub drivers, even a HE-15 NOS in box.

Given her preferences for size, probably a pair of the Aurasound 10's side to side, on opposite sides of box, haven't decided on box alignment yet. Might even wind up being a PR for size reasons.
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

In the slow work takes time, especially when you have little time for work

Well, first weekend since the 4th I've been able to dredge up any spare time- usually been on business travel on Sundays, and getting ready for it on Saturdays.

And since a picture is worth a few hundred words at least, these should speak for themselves?

Click image for larger version

Name:	SS-Cutout.jpg
Views:	4316
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	856192

Name:	SSwoofers.jpg
Views:	5935
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	856193

My hole hog out phenolic jig worked fine, and using a rebate bit with Bosch colt router with the speed turned all the way down, cutting the new rebates was a walk in the park. The old threaded inserts were backed out, and the holes filled with system three Wood scalp, a two part wood filler that works more like an epoxy material, but feels like modeling clay. Best to use latex or nitrile gloves, though, kiddies!

And though the woofer rebate edges are not quite the seamless smooth arcs an original cut one with router would be, they're so close I won't have any trouble living with them in the living room, I think.

Oh, and yeah, it is necessary to use a router and hog out a bit of the brace board; the rear of the magnetic assembly on the SS woofer is just jutting up against the board, and without the relieve, the pole piece vent would be blocked.

I'm working on modifying the base plates now, and creating a new entry plate.
              Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 08:23 Monday. Reason: Update image location
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Obi-Wan
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ---k---
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2005

Wow. I missed or forgot how thick that baffle is. That's crazy! :T
                No concerns about the back of the driver being able to breathe?
                - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Silversmoky
                  • Nov 2007

Looking good Jon! I love the look of those Scans and they should look great together with the Accuton mid and Scan Be Tweeter. Can't wait to see these all complete again with the new woofs.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                    Mad Max Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

Designed for breathing...

Originally posted by ---k---
                    Wow. I missed or forgot how thick that baffle is. That's crazy! :T
                    No concerns about the back of the driver being able to breathe?
                    ​

The measured response and "breathing" for the ER18RNX was OK, and with the design of the SS illuminators and it's small neodymium magnet, will be even better I believe. The baffle is built up of a contoured set of panels, and the mounting panel for the woofer is smaller in diameter than the pass through holes- it's done with an LBL plank. All is beveled and contoured- though it's hard to see the design from the photo- the construction PDF's make it pretty clear.

No effects seen like the Seas Excel 5" in the NHT Xds cabinets, for example. It doesn't hurt that the frequency range of interest is only up to 800 Hz, with nominal crossover point of about 350.

Of course, the proof is in the pudding....

Name:	18WU_8747T-rear.jpg
Views:	3964
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	856194
                    Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 08:26 Monday. Reason: Update image location
                    the AudioWorx
                    Natalie P
                    M8ta
                    Modula Neo DCC
                    Modula MT XE
                    Modula Xtreme
                    Isiris
                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                    Minerva Monitor
                    Calliope
                    Ardent D

In Development...
                    Obi-Wan
                    Modula PWB
                    Calliope CC Supreme
                    Natalie P Ultra
                    Natalie P Supreme
                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Bear
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Dec 2008

What about the C79? Did you end up having the open up the baffle (contour?) around it? Also, I don't recall what it's internal volume is. I 'd expect only a liter or three, but it looks like you might not even have that much in some of the photos once all of the structure is taken into account.

It may be time for me to take a refresher read! :T
                      Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                        Mad Max Moderator
                        • Aug 2000

This cross section should explain....

This is the cross section view of the top layer, which is 1" consisting of 1/4" HDF and 3/4" LBL. Midrange and woofer cut outs are back beveled.

Name:	Ardent FP Pieces.png
Views:	3923
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	856199

Midrange enclosures behind the front baffle

Name:	ArdentMidEnclosures.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	936525

CAD 3D render, showing front baffle and midrange enclosure

Back bevel kind of "visible" in this picture, too.

Name:	Ardent-FP-AssyFront.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	936526

The ideal front plate material for the C79 is probably the 1/2" phenolic tool plate I bought at Woodcraft recently, for making the woofer hole hog out fixture. This was very dense and hard, more like plex almost than phenolic.
                        Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 08:27 Monday. Reason: Update image location
                        the AudioWorx
                        Natalie P
                        M8ta
                        Modula Neo DCC
                        Modula MT XE
                        Modula Xtreme
                        Isiris
                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                        Minerva Monitor
                        Calliope
                        Ardent D

In Development...
                        Obi-Wan
                        Modula PWB
                        Calliope CC Supreme
                        Natalie P Ultra
                        Natalie P Supreme
                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                          Mad Max Moderator
                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by jackies
                          After discussing the merits of the 6640 tweeter in the parallel thread, I decided to take a plunge and ordered a couple for my forthcoming überspeaker.
                          Then, I started reading this thread, and decided that it's got to be coincidental, that this speaker that Jon is building is rather similar to what I had in mind - except for the double woofer. Nice work!!!
                          :T
                          Here's what I have so far:

Click image for larger version  Name:	s42cna.jpg Views:	5246 Size:	16.3 KB ID:	856166
                          ​

Keep us posted as you make progress!
                          Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 08:28 Monday. Reason: Update quote
                          the AudioWorx
                          Natalie P
                          M8ta
                          Modula Neo DCC
                          Modula MT XE
                          Modula Xtreme
                          Isiris
                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                          Minerva Monitor
                          Calliope
                          Ardent D

In Development...
                          Obi-Wan
                          Modula PWB
                          Calliope CC Supreme
                          Natalie P Ultra
                          Natalie P Supreme
                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Bear
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Dec 2008

Thanks, Jon!
                            Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                              Mad Max Moderator
                              • Aug 2000

This has been the opposite of summer camp this year...

well, how did it wind up being September 13, and I'm in Cleveland for the ICSCRM 2011 conference (International Conference on Silicon Carbide and Related Materials), gave my paper yesterday, but have a six hour seminar finish preparing by the end of the month, and when I go back and check, realize I haven't had a day off since July 4.

The modified Ardent is on a portable workbench in the middle of the living room to remind me I need to be working on this "soon". I guess soon will be October some time.

Even my boss and the VP of our division realize how jacked up this is; they did throw a bone to me with a substantial discretionary bonus last month, but still, this is BSC, and I don't mean baffle step correction this time! We have a new young guy with a PhD just started this week; he's based on the East Coast, and will be coming out for some training in the early part of October. He seems to have some good chops in the low voltage converter stuff, and a number of published papers; he's an IEEE member, as I am. I've got my fingers crossed.

After listening to the Ardents for most of the spring, going back to the Modula Xtremes was something of a mixed bag- more guts in the bottom end after a fashion, but just not the same resolving power. No question I need to start planning an Isis like build for those mids and woofers, and think about what to go with for treble- right now, I can't hear anything I don't like with the Beryllium SS 6640, but I keep wondering what the Raal 140-15D works like- any of you guys get your hands on one and do anything with it? The power handling in the lower range seems like it could be an issue.

Well, Cleveland is cool and cloudy- flew out here Sunday, unfortunately the cheap flights leave gawd awful early. I think I'd say that my "weekend" this last week was actually last Thursday morning, when I rode up to Petaluma for a customer visit at Enphase Energy, and had lunch at my favorite Thai restaurant in the Bay Area, "Sea Thai Bistro".

Name:	PetalumaST.jpg
Views:	3638
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	856330

I did like the new Helibar handlebar mounts I'd put on a couple of weeks ago but haven't had time to really test- the 75 miles or so to Petaluma was quite nice,even over the windy Carquenas bridge. Saturday was packing and reports- didn't feel any different from a Friday.

With regards to the Ardent upgrade, I need to finish fabricating the new test base for the cabinet for crossover connections with a sealed configuration; then remount the drivers and spend some time on the woofer crossovers and fine tuning the balance for the Scanspeak woofers. Next time I post I promise to have some progress to report! ops:
                              Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 08:28 Monday. Reason: Update image location
                              the AudioWorx
                              Natalie P
                              M8ta
                              Modula Neo DCC
                              Modula MT XE
                              Modula Xtreme
                              Isiris
                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                              Minerva Monitor
                              Calliope
                              Ardent D

In Development...
                              Obi-Wan
                              Modula PWB
                              Calliope CC Supreme
                              Natalie P Ultra
                              Natalie P Supreme
                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• peepaj
                                • Jan 2009

Jon, glad to see you finely hired someone to maybe help ease the load. although I thought you said you were looking for a couple of new people.
                                Wish I would have known you were going to be in cleveland, I would have driven over for a chance to pick your brain over dinner. And of course I would let your company buy me dinner :B All kidding aside maybe you can get back to building speakers and chasing your GF around the house.

Comment

• Hank
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Jul 2002

Jon, congrats on your new hire - I was thinking you might be getting close to the breaking point.

Comment

• CraigJ
                                    • Feb 2006

I keep wondering what the Raal 140-15D works like- any of you guys get your hands on one and do anything with it? The power handling in the lower range seems like it could be an issue.
                                    Glad to see you out on the bike again and sincerely hope you get some extra time to play in October. I'd be more than happy to send you one of my Raals when you get the time to measure or you could do a road trip to Thomas's and measure his. Feel free to send a pm if intested.

You still have time for a girlfriend?

Craig

Comment

• gbegland
                                      • Apr 2005

Not happy with 140-15 below about 3KHz. Prefer it closer to 3.5KHz. I seem to always end up with tweeter about an octave above their manufacturers minimum recommendation. Good thing the Neo10 is happy up there and you can get the two close together.

I'll be interested to see what you think. I started out down around 2KHz and just kept bumping it up. I'll take the compromise of running the mids a little too high in place of a nice, smooth blend at xover. Check the measurements I posted last year in the Driver section.

DIY (Do it yourself): Cabinetry, speakers, subwoofers, crossovers, measurements. Jon and Thomas have probably designed and built as many speakers as any non-professionals. Who are we kidding? They are pros, they just don't do it for a living. This has got to be one of the most advanced places on the net to talk speaker building, period.

Greg
                                      Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 08:29 Monday. Reason: Update htguide url

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                        Mad Max Moderator
                                        • Aug 2000

Greg, thanks for directing me to your post on those measurements. It's about what I expected- what slopes are you using at 3.5 kHz? My "problem" is the Duelund crossover I like so much; it requires a tweeter with a little more cojones down low, as the slope is ultimately 4th order but looks more like LR2 in the crossover region.

Hey Craig!

Not enough time, fortunately she's pretty busy, too. But we did just setup air travel for a vacation we plan to take next May, a Sierra Club gig in Europe billed as "Hiking from Vienna to Prague". You don't actually hike all that way, just 5-7 miles at selected areas along the path over a 10 day period- it should be pretty fun, though we probably need to step up our "training"; we did a few hikes in the spring, but time and weather have conspired to limit that this summer. At least I can do my elliptical trainer and exercise bike in air conditioned comfort any time of the year, and I've gotten religious about getting in an hour every day. Figure it might be an opportunity to do some photography, too, so I'm looking into some new Pentax lenses or maybe a camera upgrade. Depends on how kind Infineon is the end of the year.

I may hit you up later in the fall about the Raal- I'm pretty booked up right now with work through mid October.
                                        the AudioWorx
                                        Natalie P
                                        M8ta
                                        Modula Neo DCC
                                        Modula MT XE
                                        Modula Xtreme
                                        Isiris
                                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                        Minerva Monitor
                                        Calliope
                                        Ardent D

In Development...
                                        Obi-Wan
                                        Modula PWB
                                        Calliope CC Supreme
                                        Natalie P Ultra
                                        Natalie P Supreme
                                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by peepaj
                                          Jon, glad to see you finely hired someone to maybe help ease the load. although I thought you said you were looking for a couple of new people.
                                          Wish I would have known you were going to be in cleveland, I would have driven over for a chance to pick your brain over dinner. And of course I would let your company buy me dinner :B All kidding aside maybe you can get back to building speakers and chasing your GF around the house.

Yeah, that would have been a welcome break from the semiconductor types! Last time ICSCRM was in the US, it was in Pittsburgh, but that WAS six years ago!
                                          the AudioWorx
                                          Natalie P
                                          M8ta
                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                          Modula MT XE
                                          Modula Xtreme
                                          Isiris
                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                          Minerva Monitor
                                          Calliope
                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                          Obi-Wan
                                          Modula PWB
                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• peepaj
                                            • Jan 2009

No talk about semiconductors as I know zip about them. I work around electricity all day or night but in a little different capacity. Think crew chief in a powerhouse working rotating shifts. But speakers, music, stereo equipment, photography would work. Oh pittsburgh is about the same drive as cleveland or buffalo from where I'm at.

Comment

• gbegland
                                              • Apr 2005

I have generally been going straight to LR4, but am about to begin experimenting with other slopes. Got a new laptop and need to get the Digmoda software and Arta loaded back up.

Greg

PS, if anyone needs Raals, I should be making an order soon and can never use them all myself.

Comment

• TacoD
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Feb 2004

Raal 140-15 is in my ears a very nice tweeter also below 3.5 kHz! Did a Audiotechnology 8" Flex 2-way with it.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by TacoD
                                                  Raal 140-15 is in my ears a very nice tweeter also below 3.5 kHz! Did a Audiotechnology 8" Flex 2-way with it.

Interesting!

Well, maybe I should just bite the bullet and order a pair when I know I'll have a bit of free time and can fabricate some different test baffles- one quasi infinite baffle, and a few with the likely / possible baffle shapes that I may use in the upcoming system- that's the kicker, how does it work in a format close to what I'd use it in?

The kicker might be an electronic prototyping in a two way, maybe using one of the relatively wide band Vifa 6-1/2's I've got around, as it would allow some experimentation over a wider crossover range.

NE180W

(both of the above are in cabinet (small) measurements, not infinite baffle, so they exhibit LF baffle step fall off).

From the Northern CA DIY, a certain assembled on the spot with clamps two way with DCX2496 for crossover sounded remarkably good (a tip of the hat and nod to JonP for the most innovative transport and assembly process I've seen for speakers in a small vehicle!), and remarkably free of all the sonic idiosyncrasies I usually associate by reference with past systems I've heard with the DCX, leading me to wonder if some of the problems with those systems weren't self inflicted in other areas, such as system design, source components, etc. Source signal was my Mac Mini music server and Metric Halo LIO-8 multi-channel DAC, then converted by the DCX A/D. Was boogie worthy on SACD ripped Elton John ( A well known Gun) and Jacque Loussier Play Bach (a live cut). BTW, JonP's two way towers just sounded very nice and fun.

But that leads me to conclude that evaluating the Raal's in a simple two way with electronic crossover prototyping should be quite feasible, especially with the surplus of amplification I have lying around. Have to give that some thought....

Name:	obj474geo388pg14p13.png
Views:	236
Size:	459.3 KB
ID:	936527
                                                  Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 08:30 Monday. Reason: Update image location
                                                  the AudioWorx
                                                  Natalie P
                                                  M8ta
                                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                                  Modula MT XE
                                                  Modula Xtreme
                                                  Isiris
                                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                  Minerva Monitor
                                                  Calliope
                                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                                  Obi-Wan
                                                  Modula PWB
                                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• TacoD
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Feb 2004

Interesting project, buy these raals before they are not affordable any more (full and I mean full of neo magnets).

My last project contains a Scanspeak Be, and I have to say that the Raal is not outperformed by the Scan. For me the Raal is still more airy sounding on high SPL (and more natural, but that is subjective ...)

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                      Mad Max Moderator
                                                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by TacoD
                                                      Interesting project, buy these raals before they are not affordable any more (full and I mean full of neo magnets).

My last project contains a Scanspeak Be, and I have to say that the Raal is not outperformed by the Scan. For me the Raal is still more airy sounding on high SPL (and more natural, but that is subjective ...)

Thanks for the feedback. So far, the Scanspeak Be is my favorite dome tweeter under $1K. Not suggesting it's the end all, but it's a reference for me, especially in it's reproduction of certain types of percussion and brass instruments, and the more unusual sorts of metal percussion instruments.

Certainly makes the Raal something I should seriously check out! And before neodymium prices go any higher! And they look cheap compared with D20N-6-31.
                                                      the AudioWorx
                                                      Natalie P
                                                      M8ta
                                                      Modula Neo DCC
                                                      Modula MT XE
                                                      Modula Xtreme
                                                      Isiris
                                                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                      Minerva Monitor
                                                      Calliope
                                                      Ardent D

In Development...
                                                      Obi-Wan
                                                      Modula PWB
                                                      Calliope CC Supreme
                                                      Natalie P Ultra
                                                      Natalie P Supreme
                                                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Jed
                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                        • Apr 2005

Thanks for the feedback. So far, the Scanspeak Be is my favorite dome tweeter under $1K. Not suggesting it's the end all, but it's a reference for me, especially in it's reproduction of certain types of percussion and brass instruments, and the more unusual sorts of metal percussion instruments.

Certainly makes the Raal something I should seriously check out! And before neodymium prices go any higher! And they look cheap compared with D20N-6-31.
                                                        Hi Jon,

I'm sure at some point you'll try the RAAL ribbon tweeters because it's in your blood, but the Scan Be tweeter in my experience is very different in its presentation of detail. I find the Be tweeter to have excellent dynamics, but a little more in your face than the more laid back quality of the RAAL. However, interestingly the RAAL has all the detail one could ask for, just it's presented more subtly. Perhaps because of its different radiation pattern than a dome tweeter.

They are just so different in character, but I like them both for different types of music. If we only could have a dozen or more systems for each genre of music!

Jed

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Jed
                                                          Hi Jon,

I'm sure at some point you'll try the RAAL ribbon tweeters because it's in your blood, but the Scan Be tweeter in my experience is very different in its presentation of detail. I find the Be tweeter to have excellent dynamics, but a little more in your face than the more laid back quality of the RAAL. However, interestingly the RAAL has all the detail one could ask for, just it's presented more subtly. Perhaps because of its different radiation pattern than a dome tweeter.

They are just so different in character, but I like them both for different types of music. If we only could have a dozen or more systems for each genre of music!

Jed
                                                          Thoughtful comments, Jed, and appreciated. Yeah, I can dig the multiple systems and listening room ideal- at the least, I'd probably do one for pop/rock/fusion jazz, and another for classical and acoustic jazz. sure would like to have just one that does it all, but you've nailed it about the presentation thing- it's an interesting thing to note too, between the waveguide "successes" I've done versus the SS Be tweeter, and versus the better versions of the Accuton diamond, such as those made for Kharma Exquisite series.

Well, I'll have to give this some more thought, but I have the feeling I should pick a candidate and order a pair sometime this fall after things slow down a bit.
                                                          the AudioWorx
                                                          Natalie P
                                                          M8ta
                                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                                          Modula MT XE
                                                          Modula Xtreme
                                                          Isiris
                                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                          Minerva Monitor
                                                          Calliope
                                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                                          Obi-Wan
                                                          Modula PWB
                                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• sdl2112
                                                            • Mar 2006

Jon, I've been meaning to post some info on some work in progress...not ready for prime time...but I wanted to share in case there is interest. I think I have OCD with waveguides lately Long story but I wanted to see how the Scanspeak Be would mate with the Jantzen WG.

I didn't realize the faceplate was so concave or else I may not have taken the plunge. Luckily this Felt had the perfect ID and thickness...how often does that happen? Well here's some teaser info.

Name:	DSC_0058sm.jpg
Views:	11936
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	856335

The tweeter sealing was suspect to me so I built a sealed rear cover.

Name:	DSC_0059sm.jpg
Views:	11778
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	856336

Close up of the tweeter/WG

Name:	DSC_0060sm.jpg
Views:	12132
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	856337

Standard Scanspeak Be on IEC baffle 0-15-30-45-60deg

Name:	D3004_6640_no_wg_0-15-30-45-60deg.png
Views:	11809
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	856338

Scanspeak Be w/Jantzen WG on IEC baffle 0-15-30-45-60deg

Name:	D3004_6640_wg_125by625feltplug_0-15-30-45-60deg.png
Views:	14682
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	856339
                                                            Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 08:31 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                              Mad Max Moderator
                                                              • Aug 2000

Very interesting, and thanks for sharing! Now I've got ANOTHER option to ponder!

And what's interesting about what you've done here, is that I'd say it's the first really successful (based on measurements) implementation with a hard dome tweeter that measures well without some out of phase resonances really messing up something somewhere in the 10-14 kHz area.

Two piece clamshell rear cover- very nice! :T Did you just use a router to fabricate the pieces, for doing the hollowing out? Looks like the kind of thing that could be done on a lathe, but I don't have one.

Might be fairly effective with a 3000-3500 Hz crossover point....

Thanks again for the intriguing input and the link to the felt ring! :B :T

It doesn't hurt that I've got three pairs of the Jantzen waveguides on hand. And I still haven't gotten around to the Ciare MT320! Now if only I could find the dark lord to pitch in on some cabinet construction for testing, but he's been off in the old Imperial sector again on Sith business. It wouldn't be THAT hard to appropriate one of the small PE cabs I've got lying around and do a new front baffle for testing- I even have enough LBL around to go that route if desired.
                                                              the AudioWorx
                                                              Natalie P
                                                              M8ta
                                                              Modula Neo DCC
                                                              Modula MT XE
                                                              Modula Xtreme
                                                              Isiris
                                                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                              Minerva Monitor
                                                              Calliope
                                                              Ardent D

In Development...
                                                              Obi-Wan
                                                              Modula PWB
                                                              Calliope CC Supreme
                                                              Natalie P Ultra
                                                              Natalie P Supreme
                                                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• sdl2112
                                                                • Mar 2006

Yes, I just used a router for the tweeter housing parts. Not too difficult but tedious. I also milled the waveguide base to make the transition smoother, it reduced some of the HF ripple. I think the original ID was 43.5mm mine is now 45mm.

Name:	IMG_1415sm.jpg
Views:	8461
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	856340

Name:	IMG_1388sm.jpg
Views:	8539
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	856341

I also purchased a Ciare MT320. It looked so promising but my results don't bare that out. I assumed if the Audax TW034 that Troels used works the MT320 being of similar profile would also work. The fit was very good as shown below.

Name:	IMG_1459sm.jpg
Views:	8937
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	856342

I didn't go too far with testing because of the results but here the red curve is standard tweeter on IEC baffle, blue and green with Jantzen WG, IEC baffle, 0deg off axis and cyan 15deg off axis. I also discovered there is room for improvement with the rear chamber damping. The dome rests on a "pillow" of damping material. This didn't make sense to me as during compression (dome moving inward) would have a different force as when it moves outward. This sounds like a recipe for distortion. I measured with and without the dome pad and sure enough distortion was much lower w/o the dome pad. I can post result but I am already hijacking this thread...sorry.

Name:	mt320_mcmCyan_15deg.png
Views:	8089
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	856343

One last thing. I also adapted the Jantzen WG to the D2608. I used a PVC reducer. The ID was perfect to the ID of the D2608 faceplate ID. I can show more detail if interested. Below in the finished pair...I said I became a little obsessed

Name:	IMG_1397sm.jpg
Views:	8137
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	856344
                                                                Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 09:05 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• 5th element
                                                                  Supreme Being Moderator
                                                                  • Sep 2009

Speaking as someone who is also very interested in wave-guides, I don't think Jon would consider it too off topic if some extra measurements were shown. After all you have just done the equivalent of whetting our appetites, it would seem a shame not to give us the main course!

The response irregularities in the top octave, where the wave-guide somehow appears to lose its ability to control directivity, showing as a bunching up of the off axis plots to the on axis are of a concern. I've seen this with a number of tweeters I've attached to wave-guides, but not known how to go about sorting it out. It seems that you managed this quite successfully with the scan BE tweeter, with it perhaps showing some signs of it at around 19/20khz in the far off axis, but certainly better then what I've accomplished with the D2608 in a monacor wave-guide.

Name:	hds2.jpg
Views:	8080
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	856345

The angles taken here weren't measured, but the trend is obvious and Jon's own measurements with the D2608 in the MCM wave-guide showed a similar thing - not quite as bad as mine show it, but the frequency at which it occurs is roughly the same too. What is it do you think that causes this?
                                                                  Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 09:05 Monday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                  What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
                                                                  5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
                                                                  Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                                                    • Aug 2000

Hey guys, as far as I'm concerned, this is all great discussion and I really appreciate the sharing and discussion! :T

More detail on the D2608 is welcome, and thanks for the updates on how you handled the SS Be tweeter and the chamber construction. Looks like another DW621 or a close relative.

Well, what interesting developments to find out about!
                                                                    the AudioWorx
                                                                    Natalie P
                                                                    M8ta
                                                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                                                    Modula MT XE
                                                                    Modula Xtreme
                                                                    Isiris
                                                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                    Minerva Monitor
                                                                    Calliope
                                                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                    Obi-Wan
                                                                    Modula PWB
                                                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• sdl2112
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Mar 2006

Yep, it's a DW621...here it is along with the obligatory bike pic.

Name:	IMG_1413sm.jpg
Views:	8027
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	856346

I had a little trouble with the D2608 in the MCM WG and Jantzen WG with the on axis HF wiggle (btw, the Jantzen an MCM produce essentially the same response). I tried every conceivable iteration from duplicating Jon's technique to many others. Below is typical. 0-15-30deg.

Name:	d2608_mcmwg_0_15_30.png
Views:	7797
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	856347

To adapt the D2608 to the Jantzen WG, I milled the inner faceplate to create a flat surface, chamfered the ID of the flange end of a PVC reducer and milled to the correct height. Kind of hard to explain.

Name:	IMG_1396sm.jpg
Views:	7991
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	856348

Here the reducer is set up ready to chamfer the ID with a router chamfer bearing bit.

Name:	IMG_1389sm.jpg
Views:	7925
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	856349

Turned over and milled to height the adapter is ready to place as shown in the third pic.

Name:	IMG_1392sm.jpg
Views:	7904
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	856350
                                                                      Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 09:07 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                        Mad Max Moderator
                                                                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by sdl2112
                                                                        Yep, it's a DW621...here it is along with the obligatory bike pic.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1413sm.jpg Views:	7877 Size:	93.0 KB ID:	856346

I had a little trouble with the D2608 in the MCM WG and Jantzen WG with the on axis HF wiggle (btw, the Jantzen an MCM produce essentially the same response). I tried every conceivable iteration from duplicating Jon's technique to many others. Below is typical. 0-15-30deg.

Click image for larger version  Name:	d2608_mcmwg_0_15_30.png Views:	7646 Size:	31.4 KB ID:	856347

To adapt the D2608 to the Jantzen WG, I milled the inner faceplate to create a flat surface, chamfered the ID of the flange end of a PVC reducer and milled to the correct height. Kind of hard to explain.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1396sm.jpg Views:	7842 Size:	77.1 KB ID:	856348

Here the reducer is set up ready to chamfer the ID with a router chamfer bearing bit.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1389sm.jpg Views:	7775 Size:	58.8 KB ID:	856349

Turned over and milled to height the adapter is ready to place as shown in the third pic.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1392sm.jpg Views:	7754 Size:	79.3 KB ID:	856350
                                                                        ​

Yeah, this is what we call hard core DIY- your explanation makes sense to me.

And between your DeWalt tools and the Ducati, your garage is certainly properly equipped! :W

For me, creating a 3D model in Shark really helps with visualization and figuring out how to fabricate. Your efforts are definitely tenacious!

Based on these inputs, in the spare time I don't have in the next month or two I'm going to have to try to do a SS Be waveguide build and cabinet test. I've got a few 22 liter PE cabinets in storage, and one setup for testing the Jantzen waveguide already, so I'm a bit of the way there already. I think some electronic prototyping will be in order before I put the revised Ardents back together.
                                                                        Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 09:08 Monday. Reason: Update quote
                                                                        the AudioWorx
                                                                        Natalie P
                                                                        M8ta
                                                                        Modula Neo DCC
                                                                        Modula MT XE
                                                                        Modula Xtreme
                                                                        Isiris
                                                                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                        Minerva Monitor
                                                                        Calliope
                                                                        Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                        Obi-Wan
                                                                        Modula PWB
                                                                        Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                        Natalie P Ultra
                                                                        Natalie P Supreme
                                                                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Beau
                                                                          Member
                                                                          • Apr 2005

Some pics of my version, finally done..

Name:	DSC_0069.webp
Views:	233
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	936646
                                                                          Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 12:49 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Beau
                                                                            Member
                                                                            • Apr 2005
                                                                            • 74

And another. ( note the custom bass trap in front)

Name:	ELL_2270.webp
Views:	131
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	936647
                                                                            Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 12:49 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Beau
                                                                              Member
                                                                              • Apr 2005
                                                                              • 74

Last one..

Name:	DSC_0073.webp
Views:	126
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	936648

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                • Aug 2000
                                                                                • 15284

Cool, Beau! I bet you're mighty pleased to have these up and running! Though I think that custom bass trap is likely to get "blown away" in the breeze when you really fire those up! :T
                                                                                the AudioWorx
                                                                                Natalie P
                                                                                M8ta
                                                                                Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                Modula MT XE
                                                                                Modula Xtreme
                                                                                Isiris
                                                                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                Minerva Monitor
                                                                                Calliope
                                                                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                Obi-Wan
                                                                                Modula PWB
                                                                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Face
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Mar 2007
                                                                                  • 995

Beautiful!

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                    • Jan 2006
                                                                                    • 16075

Those are awesome!

Comment

• Generic George
                                                                                      Member
                                                                                      • Mar 2011
                                                                                      • 41

Originally posted by Beau
                                                                                      Some pics of my version, finally done..
                                                                                      Very interesting design. It has a lot of what I'm looking for in a pair of Uber-mains.

Are those 12" AE woofers wt the 15 passive radiators?
                                                                                      Is there a build thread for this design somewhere?

Comment

• sdl2112
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Mar 2006
                                                                                        • 571

Beau, Very Nice! I especially like the baffles and the white really highlights the drivers. Any measurement and design details?

Comment

• Silversmoky
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Nov 2007
                                                                                          • 178

Very nice!

Comment

• CraigJ
                                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                                            • Feb 2006
                                                                                            • 518

Sure got some talented engineers on this page. sdl, very nice work and writeup, pays to be somewhat obsessed.

FYI, if you are not following the diy waveguide thread at PE, D. Rose is offering waveguides with baffles for approx. $75/par to fit PE boxes. I'm assuming D. Rose can replicate whatever waveguide you desire (within size limits). Pretty cool I think:

Name:	58df2276.webp
Views:	230
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	936649
                                                                                            Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 12:50 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"