Having trouble figuring out sub port length with enclosure constraints

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • crackyflipside
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2006
    • 197

    #1

    Having trouble figuring out sub port length with enclosure constraints

    I'm trying to design a dual ported sub into the base of an entertainment center. I modeled everything in WinISD, but when I reduce the enclosure volume by the port volume, the port length has to change to get the tuning, which changes the enclosure volume again. So I'm stuck in a cat and mouse trying to get enclosure volume right for the tuning.

    The size constraints are 10ft x 2ft x 2ft using two Ultimax 18" drivers. Tune to 14hz using two slot ports on either side of the enclosure (22.5" x 3" openings). Figure a slot port like the Full Marty design, and enclosure constructed with 3/4" MDF all around with double layer on the front face, and shelf bracing about every foot.
    -Chris B

    ;x( DIY
  • carlthess40
    Junior Member
    • Jun 2019
    • 9

    #2
    Remember that the port does not have to stay inside the box. I’ve seen many sub boxes that have the ports outside the box because they where to long for the box


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Comment

    Related Topics

    Collapse

    • chasw98
      Calculate enclosure for 15 inch sonotube...again
      by chasw98
      My first post here. I have a BFD, an EP2500 amplifier, and a 10 yr. old Klipsch 10 inch 150 watt sub. The Klipsch doesn't cut it any more. I want to buy a 15 inch driver (RL-P15, Tempest 15D4, AV15, Titanic MK III, Oaudio TC2, or AA 15). I want to put it into a sonotube type enclosure. Where is the...
      07 January 2006, 20:27 Saturday
    • dstmbgh
      Slot port k (end correction) factor question. Clarification needed.
      by dstmbgh
      The speakers I'm building have a triangular port in the lower corner, i.e., the port shares two enclosure walls. However, they are monitors not subwoofers, and as such will be elevated on stands rather than be placed on the floor. My question is what k (end correction) value to use in calculating...
      01 November 2012, 13:40 Thursday
    • dsl1
      Question about Modeling RL-P15
      by dsl1
      For Christmas I received a Soundsplinter RL-p15 sub and am looking forward to building a sonosub.


      I went ahead and purchased a 4.5ft length of 24in sonotube for 40$ from the local concrete place. Unfortunately, I now realize if I go with the classic 260-265L enclosure with a ~25inch...
      28 December 2006, 01:54 Thursday
    • kjgarrison
      In wall speaker install and enclosure
      by kjgarrison
      Hello everybody. Love this site, btw. I just spent an hour looking for something similar enough to my situation. No luck, so here goes.

      gawd... I just looked at this and it is waaaay too long ...

      I have an "entertainment center" that I hope to install in-wall...
      29 March 2008, 15:00 Saturday
    • mjperk
      Port Tuning Methods
      by mjperk
      I have been helping my father build his very first set of speakers which are the Sunflower Redux from Paul Carmody. More specifically, I have been trying to provide technical expertise and guidance for him as he constructs it half way across the country where he lives. I have never built a set of speakers...
      17 April 2018, 10:16 Tuesday
    • Loading...
    • No more items.
    Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

      Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

      Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"