X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by TacoD
    What are the advantages of using phenolic boards (I guess same stuff as pcb boards - Paper/ epoxy resin) for building your x-over (again asuming you will hardwire the components).

Those speakers will make some noise, or does test tones don't count .
    Just stronger, and with heavy crossover inductors, just a bit more piece of mind. Finished item will look nicer, but of course only I and you folks will know... pride in workmanship? It's not like phenolic PCB, though, it's more like the stuff used for the separator panels, or HV insulation in power construction.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• gbegland
      • Apr 2005

What's the planned xover point for the mid/tweeter? I'm curious as to why you did not get the spacing a little closer together...

Greg

Comment

• meb46
        • Jul 2010

Jon, you are making me "pine" for my versions... they occupy my office wrapped in bubble wrap, Cardboard and Cling-wrap... shipping out on Monday

Looking forward to getting the crossover details so I can start procurement again. At least I can build the crossovers in absence of the boxes for a few weeks

Comment

• JonP
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by JonMarsh
          OK, just another teaser shot, while I get back to detail work on the second cabinet set and the internal wiring harnesses.

Took a lot of work to get here... I don't know if I would have started these if I'd fully understood what I was getting into! :roll:

Just read a review of the Wilson Alexandria XLF speaker on Stereophile, made me fell good, realizing that these are really just overgrown mini-monitors with a bass bin, and are VERY portable compared with the Wilson's 655 lb per speaker weight! 8O
          Heh... there's a local high end store that relocated to OC here a little while back was having dealer event evenings. They had Magico first, ;x( then Nola... :T when I went back the second time, I was able to see the, uh, deeply impressive, marks the Q7's left in the carpet of the big listening room! 8O

Yeah, I think anything over 500lbs is just asking too much commitment...

Looking VERY good... good to see all the progress you've been able to make.
          Hope I get to hear them some day...

PS, hope it was a good mail day... I have a new toy or two that are due to show up pretty soon.. yeah, I understand that anticiiiiiiiiipation.....

Comment

• dlneubec
            Super Senior Member
            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by gbegland
            What's the planned xover point for the mid/tweeter? I'm curious as to why you did not get the spacing a little closer together...

Greg
            I wondered the same thing. My bet is the spacing is to get the drivers acoustic centers to physically align. I'm not familiar with the Jantzen tweeter or used the Accuton mid, but I would presume as low an XO point as possible will be targeted due to the spacing and also to reduce the directivity difference between mid to tweet at the crossover point.
            Dan N.

Comment

• 5th element
              Supreme Being Moderator
              • Sep 2009

I thought the original intention was to use a tweeter from transducer labs. At the time these had larger face plates, hence the original cabinetry was done around the increased separation that this would require, then Jon went with the smaller diamond dome.
              What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
              5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
              Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

Greg

This is a multi-faceted system design issue, Greg, as you might imagine.

The obvious first order point would be to get the drivers as close together as possible to make the origins more nearly coincident. But there are other considerations here, including the design intent with regards to baffle width/baffle step and how that influences the dispersion of the driver (small baffles having a baffle step transition at a higher frequency, which means a higher frequency before the driver shifts from quasi 4pi to quasi 2pi radiation in the horizontal direction).

The other consideration is approximate alignment of acoustic centers and how that affects the "focus" of the system at a planned minimum listening distance and vector. For an interesting discussion of the challenges with interfacing large speakers in a typical listening room, see the Wilson Audio Alexandria XLF review.

The Wilson Audio Specialties Alexandra XLF costs $200,000/pair. So does a Ferrari. Perhaps if Wilson Audio Specialties sold as many pairs of XLFs as Ferrari sells cars, the price might drop. For now, $200,000 is what you pay. Can a loudspeaker possibly be worth that much? Add $10,000 for speaker cables, and that's what I paid for my first home in 1992. Today, the average American home costs around $272,000, which is likely less than the cost of an audio system built around a pair of Alexandra XLFs.

Starting with this point, consider the image Mike posted summarizing his analysis for this type of design- I'm in substantial agreement with it.

Now, envision a line or plane formed by the acoustic centers of the tweeter (very near the front panel), and the midrange (about 2-1/2" behind the front panel). With a typical all pass crossover, you'd want those planes to be somewhat aligned to a plane 90 degrees perpendicular to the vector to the listener. Because this is a tall speaker, that factor is not going to be parallel to the floor, but pointed down somewhat. If you move the tweeter too close to the midrange, the angle skews quite a bit and you wind up with a perpendicular to that plane pointed downwards too much. That could be compensated by changing the front baffle angle, but then we have other fish to fry, too.

The front panel baffle tapers to a very small area on top for a reason- if you look at all the drivers, they're mounted on baffles that are not much wider than the drivers themselves. Hmmm, something about that sounds familiar, with some of the newer generations of dipole systems!

This opens up the radiation pattern for a box monopole speaker, and the effect on the power response is significant. This ALSO makes life a bit more "difficult" for the midrange and tweeter, as this lowers the axial response below the baffle step frequency at the same time that it raises the power response. So, some careful choice of drivers and crossover characteristics is required, IMO.

Based on some back of the napkin calculations, (I have very special napkins around Casa de Juan, with direct electronic interface via an iOS driver to Evernote), I expect that I'll be using a 3rd order All Pass configuration, like the NatalieP's, in order to have at least 2nd order electrical attenuation in the crossover transition region. I expect the midrange to tweeter crossover to be in the range of 2.2 to 2.5 kHz, and the woofer to midrange in the 250-300 Hz area. This should keep electrical drive and acoustic behavior confined to a fairly favorable range for all drivers in the transition region as well as the nominal passband.

My past experience and that of many, many DIY builds is that the 3rd order all pass (as implemented in a quasi series network) in the Modula MT and NatalieP has very nice characteristics in the transition region and stop band, so that is my first pass choice. I haven't eliminated the possibility of a Duelund transfer function crossover, but I'm concerned that the drivers may not quite be up to it. I'll probably evaluate that as well as the all pass configuration with LSPCAD simulation before making a final decision.

Of course, I could be totally delusional and this is all self rationalizing BS, but hopefully, NOT! :W
                Last edited by theSven; 02 May 2023, 20:31 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
                the AudioWorx
                Natalie P
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Obi-Wan
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by 5th element
                  I thought the original intention was to use a tweeter from transducer labs. At the time these had larger face plates, hence the original cabinetry was done around the increased separation that this would require, then Jon went with the smaller diamond dome.
                  Mike is using the Transducer labs N26R; I'm measuring the N26C versions I have to get data for his crossovers. My plan has been Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds all along...
                  the AudioWorx
                  Natalie P
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Obi-Wan
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                    Mad Max Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by JonP
                    Heh... there's a local high end store that relocated to OC here a little while back was having dealer event evenings. They had Magico first, ;x( then Nola... :T when I went back the second time, I was able to see the, uh, deeply impressive, marks the Q7's left in the carpet of the big listening room! 8O

Yeah, I think anything over 500lbs is just asking too much commitment...

Looking VERY good... good to see all the progress you've been able to make.
                    Hope I get to hear them some day...

PS, hope it was a good mail day... I have a new toy or two that are due to show up pretty soon.. yeah, I understand that anticiiiiiiiiipation.....
                    Yes, we had a good UPS day yesterday, nice shiny AWG 12 Solen inductors are in my clutches, er, that is, storage! yes, my pretties! You will work very well in this new project... very shiny!

GF is inquiring about me refinishing a couple of pieces of furniture again, which has led to more discussions about setting up a temporary lacquer spray booth, so we may be back on for that route. Powerpoints, Keynotes, ROI plans, and full analysis will be ready by the time she gets back from Cuba the end of the month.

Believe it or not, a friend/associate was considering Magico's in Munich, one of the two big ones- for some reason, he wasn't impressed with the demo of the Q5, but I suspect associated system gear may have been a factor. On the other hand, he's getting in some Eggleston Savoy's to listen to on Jan 17, and at 355 lb each, they're well past my cut off! I figure anything over 200 lb just really needs to be reconsidered! Or seal them really well and pump them full of Helium... :rofl:
                    the AudioWorx
                    Natalie P
                    M8ta
                    Modula Neo DCC
                    Modula MT XE
                    Modula Xtreme
                    Isiris
                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                    Minerva Monitor
                    Calliope
                    Ardent D

In Development...
                    Obi-Wan
                    Modula PWB
                    Calliope CC Supreme
                    Natalie P Ultra
                    Natalie P Supreme
                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Hank
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jul 2002

PowerPoints and ROI plan - I love it!! ;b> :dothewave:
                      My PowerPoint dipstick says that I'm a skosh above the full line :blink:

Relief this weekend:
                      Annual 3M Half Marathon Sunday morning (have to be there at 5:00 am - volunteer at the 1.5 mile waterstop).
                      Austin Cars & Coffee at 10:00 am at The Oasis.
                      Austin Traditional Jazz Society annual Jam Session at Capitol City Comedy Club at 2 pm.
                      Best part: not ONE PowerPoint slide!! :dancenana:

Comment

• gbegland
                        • Apr 2005

On the other hand, he's getting in some Eggleston Savoy's to listen to on Jan 17, and at 355 lb each, they're well past my cut off! I figure anything over 200 lb just really needs to be reconsidered! Or seal them really well and pump them full of Helium... :rofl:
                        Just looked at the Ivy Sigs. What is with a double isobaric? Each mid has two more behind it? Whew, and talk about CTC spacing...

Comment

• JonMarsh
                          Mad Max Moderator
                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Hank

Best part: not ONE PowerPoint slide!! :dancenana:

Yup! That's the way to spend the weekend! GF understands PPT's and ROI plans, being a 28 year IBM'er. So we joke about that for any big decision to make...

Having gone through my book again on "Spraying for Dummies", I think we're going to go ahead with that plan... besides, I love the smell of lacquer in the morning! :B

Enjoy your weekend, even the early in the AM stuff! :T
                          the AudioWorx
                          Natalie P
                          M8ta
                          Modula Neo DCC
                          Modula MT XE
                          Modula Xtreme
                          Isiris
                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                          Minerva Monitor
                          Calliope
                          Ardent D

In Development...
                          Obi-Wan
                          Modula PWB
                          Calliope CC Supreme
                          Natalie P Ultra
                          Natalie P Supreme
                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                            Mad Max Moderator
                            • Aug 2000

Just looked at the Ivy Sigs. What is with a double isobaric? Each mid has two more behind it? Whew, and talk about CTC spacing...
                            Do you notice they don't even give the weight on the Ivy Signatures? If you have to ask, you won't be able to handle it.

I sort of get the ISOBARIC on the bass benefits, but I'm really scratching my head about doing that for the midranges. Guess I'm must not aiming high enough, huh? :roll:
                            the AudioWorx
                            Natalie P
                            M8ta
                            Modula Neo DCC
                            Modula MT XE
                            Modula Xtreme
                            Isiris
                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                            Minerva Monitor
                            Calliope
                            Ardent D

In Development...
                            Obi-Wan
                            Modula PWB
                            Calliope CC Supreme
                            Natalie P Ultra
                            Natalie P Supreme
                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• 5th element
                              Supreme Being Moderator
                              • Sep 2009

It's not just Isobaric on the mids, there are TWO drivers in isobaric configuration behind each mid, so three in some odd compound arrangement.

I can understand going iso on the mids but only if they are expected to play down low. The mmtmm arrangement makes me think that the outer pair are for BSC, so perhaps they do play down to around 100Hz. Going iso would reduce the cabinet volume necessary for the 4 mids, which appear to be morel supreme carbon/rohacel based, but from where I'm standing it would be more of a marketing gimick rather than anything truly worthwhile. After all you lose efficiency when going iso, so their spiel about creating an effortless sound is rather tenuous at best.

Still if you need to ask how heavy or how much then these are not the speakers for you!
                              What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!

Comment

• JonP
                                • Apr 2006

Believe it or not, a friend/associate was considering Magico's in Munich, one of the two big ones- for some reason, he wasn't impressed with the demo of the Q5, but I suspect associated system gear may have been a factor. On the other hand, he's getting in some Eggleston Savoy's to listen to on Jan 17, and at 355 lb each, they're well past my cut off! I figure anything over 200 lb just really needs to be reconsidered! Or seal them really well and pump them full of Helium... :rofl:
                                Practically speaking, it's so difficult with that approach... putting in dual skylights over the speaker positions, the long cables to the 30' diameter Helium balloons for the weight reduction, the sealing problem where outside air leaks into your house thru the cable ports. (especially this time of year!) I won't even get into what happens when the wind comes up... :W

Here's to a productive weekend!

Comment

• Paulie
                                  • Jul 2008

Just stronger, and with heavy crossover inductors, just a bit more piece of mind. Finished item will look nicer, but of course only I and you folks will know... pride in workmanship? It's not like phenolic PCB, though, it's more like the stuff used for the separator panels, or HV insulation in power construction.
                                  Jon, could you post a link for the phenolic boards you used? Thanks.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                    • Aug 2000

It was purchased on Amazon, Leecraft BK-2, 11" by 15" by 1/4", and it looks like I cleaned them out, as they just have a notice to sign up for when it's available again.

the AudioWorx
                                    Natalie P
                                    M8ta
                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                    Modula MT XE
                                    Modula Xtreme
                                    Isiris
                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                    Minerva Monitor
                                    Calliope
                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                    Obi-Wan
                                    Modula PWB
                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• CADman_ks
                                      • Jan 2012

It was purchased on Amazon, Leecraft BK-2, 11" by 15" by 1/4", ...
                                      Will you actually have to cut that "sheet" down to size?

If so, how do you cut that stuff without it chipping? I personally have never used it, but I'm familiar with phenolic, and I would think that it would tend to chip pretty bad when you're cutting it.

Not that this is the same, but when I built my Stents, I used some HIGH grade 3/16" Lexan in there that I had laying around, and it was NOT any fun to cut on the table saw. I was going slow, and it still chipped on the edge...
                                      CADman_ks
                                      - Stentorian build...
                                      - Ochocinco build...
                                      - BT speaker / sub build...

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                        Mad Max Moderator
                                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by CADman_ks
                                        Will you actually have to cut that "sheet" down to size?

If so, how do you cut that stuff without it chipping? I personally have never used it, but I'm familiar with phenolic, and I would think that it would tend to chip pretty bad when you're cutting it.

Not that this is the same, but when I built my Stents, I used some HIGH grade 3/16" Lexan in there that I had laying around, and it was NOT any fun to cut on the table saw. I was going slow, and it still chipped on the edge...
                                        Thing is, the term "phenolic" covers a host of materials of various properties!

Many types of base material (paper, cloth) and many different formulations of binders.

I often just use one of my 80 tooth count veneer saw blades, but I also have a special blade with TCG ground teeth and a negative hook angle for non ferrous materials like plastics and aluminum, which works very well for those. That's sort of a "non-woodworking" tip!
                                        the AudioWorx
                                        Natalie P
                                        M8ta
                                        Modula Neo DCC
                                        Modula MT XE
                                        Modula Xtreme
                                        Isiris
                                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                        Minerva Monitor
                                        Calliope
                                        Ardent D

In Development...
                                        Obi-Wan
                                        Modula PWB
                                        Calliope CC Supreme
                                        Natalie P Ultra
                                        Natalie P Supreme
                                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                          • Aug 2000

Work is back to
                                          normal
                                          with a vengeance...

Well, being employed is a good thing, but there can be too much of a good thing! :roll:

As a result I still haven't had time to get setup for the new cabinet measurements. But as frustrating as that is, I took some earlier measured data on somewhat different baffles and have taken a full pass through on a prototype crossover, which looks pretty promising on several levels. I stayed up late last night working on this... can't do woodworking or testing at those hours, but can prototype crossover on LspCAD.

Click image for larger version

Name:	JanuaryMid Isiris Concept Schem update.PNG
Views:	2705
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	857943
                                          • Sealed system means Fs impedance resonance is at a low enough frequency that I don't need an LF zobel to kill the interaction with the crossover- for a ported version, this will still be required, I suspect
                                          • Driver data is fudged for tweeter- using D3004/6640 Be tweeter data for modeling the top end for now. Using older Aurasound data measured in different cabinet but with identical width.
                                          • 3rd order three way all pass concept seems to be panning out nicely, and have deep notches with out of phase driver connection
                                          • Using 3rd order all pass eases the design issues for the upper transition band for the midrange, due to steeper roll off, and it looks like the LCR networks for driver equalization at the upper end will be uncessary. (yes, that means lower cost! Who would believe? )
                                          • The midrange seems to need enough attenuation due to it's high sensitivity that the L-Pad shunt resistor will swamp out impedance variations to a degree, and the LF mid zobel may not be necessary.
                                          • Mostly ditto for the tweeter, it's looking fairly simple at this point (subject as always to future change).
                                          • There is some voicing built into this network, but not as previously discussed. Too early to get into this, pending final measurements and evaluations with external components.
                                          • Oh, and crossover points are 300 Hz and 2500 Hz. Just for the record...
                                          • Once again, EVERYTHING subject to change, with notice. :B
                                          Last edited by theSven; 02 May 2023, 20:32 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
                                          the AudioWorx
                                          Natalie P
                                          M8ta
                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                          Modula MT XE
                                          Modula Xtreme
                                          Isiris
                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                          Minerva Monitor
                                          Calliope
                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                          Obi-Wan
                                          Modula PWB
                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• 5th element
                                            Supreme Being Moderator
                                            • Sep 2009

Considering some of your past designs, the component count here is quite low! That must be a bit of a bonus too

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                              Mad Max Moderator
                                              • Aug 2000

Considering some of your past designs, the component count here is quite low! That must be a bit of a bonus too

It wasn't just a bonus, it was a Design Goal!

With a low slope like 2nd order L-R or Duelund on the bandpass, you really have to manage the driver behavior at the outside limits of it's working passband. With a 3rd order All Pass, like the Modula MT and NatalieP, (which were realized with quasi-series crossovers, not practical here, and not wanting the HF signal to go through too many parts), we're attenuating the transition band faster, and I think this may be a good tradeoff as regards signal path, driver attenuation outside the pass band, AND as you note, total parts count.

Of course, the proof is in the pudding, many a slip twixt the cup and the lip, but I have a good feeling about this...
                                              the AudioWorx
                                              Natalie P
                                              M8ta
                                              Modula Neo DCC
                                              Modula MT XE
                                              Modula Xtreme
                                              Isiris
                                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                              Minerva Monitor
                                              Calliope
                                              Ardent D

In Development...
                                              Obi-Wan
                                              Modula PWB
                                              Calliope CC Supreme
                                              Natalie P Ultra
                                              Natalie P Supreme
                                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Nov 2004

It wasn't just a bonus, it was a Design Goal!

With a low slope like 2nd order L-R or Duelund on the bandpass, you really have to manage the driver behavior at the outside limits of it's working passband. With a 3rd order All Pass, like the Modula MT and NatalieP, (which were realized with quasi-series crossovers, not practical here, and not wanting the HF signal to go through too many parts), we're attenuating the transition band faster, and I think this may be a good tradeoff as regards signal path, driver attenuation outside the pass band, AND as you note, total parts count.

Of course, the proof is in the pudding, many a slip twixt the cup and the lip, but I have a good feeling about this...

Use your intuition... trust your feelings, Jon...

But do not become complacent with the progress you have made!

The Chancellor has allowed you unfettered freedom to pursue your own direction on the Three Way Design Study, based on your initiative early last year. However, that could change in a heartbeat should progress stall, or the ultimate results not be satisfactory...

I suggest you redouble your efforts and quit whining about a cushy job in the Terran sector, lest I decide I need to find new ways to motivate you...
                                                DFAL
                                                Dark Force Acoustic Labs

A wholly owned subsidiary of Palpatine Heavy Industries

Comment

• cjd
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • Dec 2004

I feel odd to be thinking about just walking away from my job, which seems to be at about the ONLY place in town I really would have much interest in working... Yes, that means I'd just.. not have a job, and not really want to work anywhere doing what I do now, unless I wandered into a completely different city.

I am also feeling some pressure to work on the Nebbiolo again! Who can get a lower parts count and still be swimmingly happy with the result??

C
                                                  diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by cjd
                                                    I feel odd to be thinking about just walking away from my job, which seems to be at about the ONLY place in town I really would have much interest in working... Yes, that means I'd just.. not have a job, and not really want to work anywhere doing what I do now, unless I wandered into a completely different city.

I am also feeling some pressure to work on the Nebbiolo again! Who can get a lower parts count and still be swimmingly happy with the result??

C
                                                    That sounds like a potentially uncomfortable spot to be in- something changed in your work situation, or changed in you?

As to the Nebbiolo, let's pile the pressure on! (is that internally developed or are there external inputs for finishing the construction and development?) If you can't build bamboo boxes, maybe a bamboo cone is the next best thing? :B

Either way I applaud, and hope you find good things musically as a result.
                                                    the AudioWorx
                                                    Natalie P
                                                    M8ta
                                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                                    Modula MT XE
                                                    Modula Xtreme
                                                    Isiris
                                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                    Minerva Monitor
                                                    Calliope
                                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                                    Obi-Wan
                                                    Modula PWB
                                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• cjd
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Dec 2004

Either way I applaud, and hope you find good things musically as a result.
                                                      Oh, should I put the violin I really should be playing more next to the project? It's even assembled. And I walked by the place without knowing it when I was in Florence!

It's actually been a bit of a clean-up binge beyond what post-holiday mess usually requires, which will leave me with a little more project room. This weekend I think, though!

As for bamboo, no one here has wanted to sell me any yet. Haven't looked in a while.

Here's to hoping you discover you had too many parts in this tentative crossover.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                        Mad Max Moderator
                                                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by cjd

Here's to hoping you discover you had too many parts in this tentative crossover.
                                                        Well, never say never, but this IS a minimalist crossover for me! :B I'm not one of those guys that goes for 4 octaves of slow overlap within the 10 dB transition band for the midrange to tweeter crossover, or the 3 octaves for the woofer to midrange (you know who you are, Curt and Jim... :W )

That's why we call them "cross-over filters", not "blend-together filters". :rofl:

Many paths to the Buddha, and then we're supposed to kill him on the road if we meet him? Seems strange to me... If I was the Buddha, I'd hide. 8O
                                                        the AudioWorx
                                                        Natalie P
                                                        M8ta
                                                        Modula Neo DCC
                                                        Modula MT XE
                                                        Modula Xtreme
                                                        Isiris
                                                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                        Minerva Monitor
                                                        Calliope
                                                        Ardent D

In Development...
                                                        Obi-Wan
                                                        Modula PWB
                                                        Calliope CC Supreme
                                                        Natalie P Ultra
                                                        Natalie P Supreme
                                                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                                          • Aug 2000

Fiddly bits, wiring department

Some of you might be surprised at how much time it takes just to make an internal woofer cable creating a series connection for two Aurasound NS12-513-4A. Others won't be, because you've been down this road, too.

This will be discussed more in the build thread, which won't be posted until something is really built! That is a relatively jumbo Euro connector; spec'd for up to AWG8, which we're using on the input side; outputs are AWG12.

For all the flat earther's and ABX blind comp guys, just use some AWG18 wire and wire nuts from Home Depot. :roll: :W

Name:	WooferCable2_zps1ff296e9.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	941483
                                                          Last edited by theSven; 23 June 2023, 14:29 Friday. Reason: Update image location
                                                          the AudioWorx
                                                          Natalie P
                                                          M8ta
                                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                                          Modula MT XE
                                                          Modula Xtreme
                                                          Isiris
                                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                          Minerva Monitor
                                                          Calliope
                                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                                          Obi-Wan
                                                          Modula PWB
                                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                            Mad Max Moderator
                                                            • Aug 2000

Ready to Measure...

Speaker: Ready to measure tomorrow.

Me: Ready to rest today!

Name:	Ready2Measure_zps27003ac1.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	941484

The perspective on this shot looks a bit weird- makes the woofers and bass cabinet look smaller than reality.

I think when it's time for real pics I'll get out the medium format Pentax and a tilt/shift lens, maybe have a little fun with making the perspective really strange, and maybe more natural, too. We'll see.... that's probably a month down the road. The other cabinet is quite close behind this one, and I'm also about ready to do finishing tests on scraps soon.
                                                            Last edited by theSven; 23 June 2023, 14:29 Friday. Reason: Update image location
                                                            the AudioWorx
                                                            Natalie P
                                                            M8ta
                                                            Modula Neo DCC
                                                            Modula MT XE
                                                            Modula Xtreme
                                                            Isiris
                                                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                            Minerva Monitor
                                                            Calliope
                                                            Ardent D

In Development...
                                                            Obi-Wan
                                                            Modula PWB
                                                            Calliope CC Supreme
                                                            Natalie P Ultra
                                                            Natalie P Supreme
                                                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• CADman_ks
                                                              • Jan 2012

WOW! Just WOW!

Really, really nice....
                                                              CADman_ks
                                                              - Stentorian build...
                                                              - Ochocinco build...

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Jan 2006

Agreed

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                                                  • Dec 2006

Very nice Jon, those are looking awesome :T Love that wiring harness as well.
                                                                  Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

WEBSITE: http://www.smjaudio.com/

Comment

• sdl2112
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Mar 2006

Jon, I think you're going to make the guys at Avalon Acoustics jealous

Comment

• Face
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Mar 2007

Jon, I hope you plan on replacing the woofer screws...

Otherwise, simply beautiful!
                                                                      SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                        Mad Max Moderator
                                                                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Face
                                                                        Jon, I hope you plan on replacing the woofer screws...

Otherwise, simply beautiful!

Oh yeah- have some #10 black square drive on order with Woodcraft!
                                                                        the AudioWorx
                                                                        Natalie P
                                                                        M8ta
                                                                        Modula Neo DCC
                                                                        Modula MT XE
                                                                        Modula Xtreme
                                                                        Isiris
                                                                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                        Minerva Monitor
                                                                        Calliope
                                                                        Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                        Obi-Wan
                                                                        Modula PWB
                                                                        Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                        Natalie P Ultra
                                                                        Natalie P Supreme
                                                                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Juhazi
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • May 2008

Jon's " Ultimate Serial Connector" strangely makes me think of brides' and beauty pageants' secret tape trick... you could not guess
                                                                          My DIY speaker history: -74 Philips 3-way, -82 Hifi 85B, -07 Zaph L18, -08 Hifitalo AW-7, CSS125FR, -09 MarkK ER18DXT, -13 PPSL470Dayton, -13 AINOgradient, -18 Avalanche AS-1 dsp, -18 MR183w

Comment

• CADman_ks
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Jan 2012
                                                                            • 497

Originally posted by Steve Manning
                                                                            ... Love that wiring harness as well.
                                                                            Me, not being an EE, I had to study that thing for a while to get it thru my head exactly how it worked. ops:
                                                                            CADman_ks
                                                                            - Stentorian build...
                                                                            - Ochocinco build...

Comment

• 5th element
                                                                              Supreme Being Moderator
                                                                              • Sep 2009
                                                                              • 1671

Those are certainly quite imposing and due to the angular look, if done in black, would no doubt suit the emperor quite well. They should be quite formidable on the sonic front too, I'd have picked a wave-guide to go with the tweeter, but you've already tried that with the c90 before anyway

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                • Aug 2000
                                                                                • 15290

Those are certainly quite imposing and due to the angular look, if done in black, would no doubt suit the emperor quite well. They should be quite formidable on the sonic front too, I'd have picked a wave-guide to go with the tweeter, but you've already tried that with the c90 before anyway

For various reasons I decided to "stay true" to the original implementation concept/inspiration. Shortly I'll get to find out how good an idea that was... I expect the off axis sweeps today will tell me a fair amount about what I want to know, and if this choice paid off the way I expect.

The turntable is ready... (but it's too early hear in CA for making noise- I'll get my Starbucks, then take some more pictures, first!)
                                                                                the AudioWorx
                                                                                Natalie P
                                                                                M8ta
                                                                                Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                Modula MT XE
                                                                                Modula Xtreme
                                                                                Isiris
                                                                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                Minerva Monitor
                                                                                Calliope
                                                                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                Obi-Wan
                                                                                Modula PWB
                                                                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                  • Aug 2000
                                                                                  • 15290

I love the sound of camera shutters in the morning...

Real shutters, not the electronics sound effect from my Sony NEX!

This looks better to me, even downsampled heavily like this (the other one was too, but wasn't on a tripod, and the Zeiss lens has visible chromatic aberration when opened up- this SMC67 55 mm Pentax doesn't. But it's an old school pro lens, not a consumer lens- let's hear it for eBay!)

Name:	Ready2Measure-SMC67-2_zpseaad6c07.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	941540
                                                                                  Last edited by theSven; 23 June 2023, 15:33 Friday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                                  the AudioWorx
                                                                                  Natalie P
                                                                                  M8ta
                                                                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                  Modula MT XE
                                                                                  Modula Xtreme
                                                                                  Isiris
                                                                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                  Minerva Monitor
                                                                                  Calliope
                                                                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                  Obi-Wan
                                                                                  Modula PWB
                                                                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• cjd
                                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                    • Dec 2004
                                                                                    • 5570

Eh - it looks like you're shooting part tungsten, part natural light, which makes white-balance a pain. That, and the second has much more depth of field (tripod enabled longer exposure I assume?) - color on the first could probably be tweaked if you were so inclined.

Comment

• Hank
                                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                                      • Jul 2002
                                                                                      • 1345

First thought: Beautimous, Jon!
                                                                                      Second thought: send him some square drive black screws - but I see you've got some on order.
                                                                                      Wish I could hear those beauties!

Comment

• ColoradoTom
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Feb 2006
                                                                                        • 332

Wow, Jon those really look good! I'm imagining a pair in figured cherry in my family room!! You are planning on packing them up and bringing them out the RMAF next year.... aren't you!!

Tom

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                          • Aug 2000
                                                                                          • 15290

Originally posted by cjd
                                                                                          Eh - it looks like you're shooting part tungsten, part natural light, which makes white-balance a pain. That, and the second has much more depth of field (tripod enabled longer exposure I assume?) - color on the first could probably be tweaked if you were so inclined.
                                                                                          Lighting was ad hoc and mixed in color temp. Photo lighting is in one of this storage units!

First was an f2.2 to try to get a decent exposure time for the NEX7 with Zeiss 24mm lens; 35mm ASP-C size sensor.

Second was f4 on an SMC 67 55-100mm zoom, at the wide end, which on medium format gives a similar field of view as 30mm on 35mm SLR. This is a new for me lens, acquired as most have been through eBay. If I only had one Pentax 67 lens it would be this one, but I also really like the 75mm f2.8 prime (late model, few made but sharp and contrasty), the 55mm prime wide angle from 86 and on(very sharp even wide open), the 200mm (post '86) prime, and the 100 mm macro. The only one I don't have and wish I did is the 400mm F4 ED. Big and heavy, but much better glass than the other long telies; another '86 design.
                                                                                          the AudioWorx
                                                                                          Natalie P
                                                                                          M8ta
                                                                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                          Modula MT XE
                                                                                          Modula Xtreme
                                                                                          Isiris
                                                                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                          Minerva Monitor
                                                                                          Calliope
                                                                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                          Obi-Wan
                                                                                          Modula PWB
                                                                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• cjd
                                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                            • Dec 2004
                                                                                            • 5570

I don't even haul out the 30D or 5DII for my quick snaps. Just the little Olympus XZ-1 (f/1.8 and pretty sharp, but the sensor goes noisy pretty fast > ISO400). Not really sure why I don't, to be honest - I have a couple nice f/1.4 50mm and 80mm - I shot my sister's wedding with them so they're not slouches) and the rest are 2.8 including the 14mm. Nothing bigger than 200 though.

That aside, this thread is about the build, not the photography (yet)! And that is looking superb. I love that bamboo ply.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"