X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jed
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
    I know the distortion measurements from KT weren't that great on the Ti100's but the SQ was awesome.
    Jim

Jim- I'd have to disagree with you on the performance of Ti100. The distortion looks quite good to me if using it as a mid from 300-2.5K. Also, all the TB specs I've seen have been quite bad in contrast. Though I haven't seen specs in Klang and Ton on the TB titanium driver yet.

Image not available
    Last edited by theSven; 22 June 2023, 20:36 Thursday. Reason: Remove broken image link

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Thanks for the explanation regarding Darren's quick measurements, Jim. One thing possibly appealing about the TB is that all holy heck doesn't break loose until somewhat higher than the Visaton TI 100.

Well, however it turns out, it's not huge money, and it should be interesting to see how it does- my interest is basically 400 Hz and up to 2-2.5 kHz. 3 mm might be enough... (cross fingers) depending on the linearity of the motor system.
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• LoudandClear
        • Dec 2005

Here's a couple crossovers with the TI100

Image not available

Image not available
        Last edited by theSven; 22 June 2023, 20:37 Thursday. Reason: Remove image location

Comment

• Jim Holtz
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by JonMarsh
          Thanks for the explanation regarding Darren's quick measurements, Jim. One thing possibly appealing about the TB is that all holy heck doesn't break loose until somewhat higher than the Visaton TI 100.

Well, however it turns out, it's not huge money, and it should be interesting to see how it does- my interest is basically 400 Hz and up to 2-2.5 kHz. 3 mm might be enough... (cross fingers) depending on the linearity of the motor system.
          ā€‹
          Hi Jed,

I wasn't implying that the Ti100 was bad, just that it might not be at the same level as the Accutons Jon is testing. Actually, I found them to sound superb as I indicated in my post.

Jim
          Last edited by theSven; 22 June 2023, 20:38 Thursday. Reason: Update quote

Comment

• capslock
            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Evil Twin
            The W12CY001 is not without it's problems... including low overall sensitivity, frequency response which begins drooping above 2 kHz (due to cone flex, I believe, as the W22 does above 1 kHz), and a wonderfully wide band cone break up mode commencing at 5 kHz with significant output to above 15 kHz. It is most curious how Seas doesn't provide an impedance curve for this component that extends above 5 kHz- that's undoubtedly where the issues begin to arise.
            Reading this made me realize what you might be pointing at. The W22 has a hump beginning just above 1 kHz and then droops above say 1.5 kHz. The W12 exhibits the same phenomenon, just a little higher in frequency.

The theory I heard about this from an experienced driver designer years ago was that this is not cone flex but rather a resonance off the air trapped in the cavity formed by cone and surround. I don't know if it is true, but I looked at a bunch of HobbyHifi driver reviews at the time, and the trend was clear: the hump was more evident the harder and deeper the cone, and its position roughly correlated with the diameter of the cone.

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by capslock
              Reading this made me realize what you might be pointing at. The W22 has a hump beginning just above 1 kHz and then droops above say 1.5 kHz. The W12 exhibits the same phenomenon, just a little higher in frequency.

The theory I heard about this from an experienced driver designer years ago was that this is not cone flex but rather a resonance off the air trapped in the cavity formed by cone and surround. I don't know if it is true, but I looked at a bunch of HobbyHifi driver reviews at the time, and the trend was clear: the hump was more evident the harder and deeper the cone, and its position roughly correlated with the diameter of the cone.
              Well, I'm sure not an experienced driver designer, and I have no where near the knowledge of driver design which you do, Eric.

Maybe the hump in the response results as you say- I also think rear wave reflections can play a role, such as in the C79. But the overall issues in many Seas Excel and Dayton RS drivers result (IMO) because of the cone profile and the resulting behavior as you push higher and higher, which is quite similar for these cones. Let me illustrate some of the measurements which have led me to conclude this (erroneaously or not).

Exhibit A, 1 meter response of W22.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	W22Excel3.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	928910

Any experienced DIY guy would look at this and recognize the W22 response profile.

Next up is a close nearfiedl measurement in the center.

Name:	W22Excel9.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	928911

The notch/dip is (IMO) a symptom of a bending mode which is initially resulting in a dip in the repsonse; as one goes higher in frequency, you hit the all heck breaks loose mode, which is masked somewhat in this measurement because of the change in wavelength and drop off in response above 2 kHz due to arrival time phase differences.

One easily can question whether that supposition/theory is correct-

The 8" Peerless 830884 behaves simiarly, but it's dip is at a more typical frequency for the first decouping/flex for an 8" woofer, 900 Hz.

Exibit B: HiVi M8a 8" midwoofer at 1 meter.

Name:	HiViM8a09.jpg
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	928912

It's not as high tech a cone composition as the Excel; more mass, and mostly aluminum, with it's breakup peak at ~2.1 kHz. BTW, having measured many of these, they're at least quite consistent for the cone behavior, unlike, say, Accuton's. Better CPK on the process.

Here's the HiVi M8a nearfield response in center- at the edges it looks very little different, except for roll off of the 2 kHz and above area due to path length.

Name:	HiViM8a01.jpg
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	928913

This is why I like concave spherical diaphragms, probably why Accuton and Revel and many others do, too.

Wish I could buy a driver with an improved version (metallurgy) of this cone, and an W22 or RS225 motor. Of course, a C220-T6-220 is pretty close, or more than pretty close, but the price is rather dear. Still may try a set in my M8ta some day. But the motor is not as symmetric as a W22 or RS225- higher 2nd order distortion.
              Last edited by theSven; 21 February 2023, 23:07 Tuesday. Reason: Updated URL for htguide
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Obi-Wan
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• jkrutke
                • Dec 2005

Tang Band is a company that could be pretty scary if they really got their act together. They make a lot of stuff for other folks (can you spell Adire, Ascendant?), I'm also curious how the 25-1414SC tweeter plays out, for the small form factor applications.
                I've got my eye on the 25-1414 TB also. Like you, I need a small format tweeter for a couple apps. I think I'll pick up a pair. So far however, assuming the D26NC55 will run out, I'm liking the Seas 27TAFNCD. Particularly the mounting method. A little 1/8" surface mount flange can easily overlap a mid driver flange and get super close without tedious odd shaped countersinking or flange modifying.

If you grabbed the W4-1337S Titanium 4", I'll anxiously await your comments on it. I just can't bring myself to blow $50 on a 4" Tangband. Of course, I blew $80 on a 10" TB a couple weeks ago... not the best $80 I ever spent. 8O

On the subject of Tangbands, the W5-704 isn't too bad. Great response curve and average non-linear distortion performance. I could probably forgive the non-linear performance, since it's a smooth extended driver that can cross over relatively high to a cheap tweeter. (assuming one is willing to blow off all that stuff about operating in the pistonic range.) :B

Edit: if the 25-1414 uses the same motor as the 25-1166, that's probably not a good thing. I guess I'll find out.
                Zaph|Audio

Comment

• cjd
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Dec 2004

So, why not more Aura... NS4-255-8D1 - distortion too high? Sensitivity too low?

C
                  diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• JonMarsh
                    Mad Max Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

I ordered the W4-1337S yesterday, should be in by the middle to end of the week. I get you about blowing $50 on a 4" Tangband, but who knows...

That little Seas doesn't look too bad, especially if you do keep it above 3 kHz or so. Something to consider...

I wish the D26NC55 wasn't going away, I hope they actually DO have a hundred or so at Madisound. It's a bargain for three way system performance. Thinking about a low buck three way using the D26 and this Tangband if it pans out.

Unfortunately, it looks like the same basket on the 25-1414 as the 1166.
                    the AudioWorx
                    Natalie P
                    M8ta
                    Modula Neo DCC
                    Modula MT XE
                    Modula Xtreme
                    Isiris
                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                    Minerva Monitor
                    Calliope
                    Ardent D

In Development...
                    Obi-Wan
                    Modula PWB
                    Calliope CC Supreme
                    Natalie P Ultra
                    Natalie P Supreme
                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                      Mad Max Moderator
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by cjd
                      So, why not more Aura... NS4-255-8D1 - distortion too high? Sensitivity too low?

C
                      No, it's pretty good above 200, and yes, at 4 ohms, not 8 ohms. stamped frame, not cast. Top end gets ragged above 5 kHz. Considered and discarded it. Not that it couldn't be a pretty good cone mid in a smaller three way, say, 400 Hz crossover; anything with dual midwoofers would be too sensitive for it, though. Say, with a single RS225, and something like a D26 brought in above 3 kHz. But you have a three way crossover; I'd rather spend the money on making a good two way, with a better tweeter. Three ways with 4 ohm midranges usually result in hard to drive speakers.
                      the AudioWorx
                      Natalie P
                      M8ta
                      Modula Neo DCC
                      Modula MT XE
                      Modula Xtreme
                      Isiris
                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                      Minerva Monitor
                      Calliope
                      Ardent D

In Development...
                      Obi-Wan
                      Modula PWB
                      Calliope CC Supreme
                      Natalie P Ultra
                      Natalie P Supreme
                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Nov 2001

That little Seas doesn't look too bad, especially if you do keep it above 3 kHz or so. Something to consider...
                        Sorry Jon, but which Seas is that?

Comment

• WillyD
                          • Feb 2006

I believe Jon was referring to the 27TAFNCD that John Krutke mentioned.

Comment

• cjd
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Dec 2004

No, it's pretty good above 200, and yes, at 4 ohms, not 8 ohms. stamped frame, not cast.
                            Yeah, I see stamped frame but the 8D1 is an 8ohm version... or are you saying you would only use the 4ohm (4D1)?

I, of course, have my eye on it for use in a HT setup, MTM with a larger driver covering below up front, and probably just straight MTM for surround duty with the NS4. Haven't found much that offers the clean response and the travel to actually do well enough stand-alone as surround. Still looking.

C

Comment

• JonMarsh
                              Mad Max Moderator
                              • Aug 2000

Hey, I don't mean to pick on the little guy. I think they're recycling the FR graphs, and I really doubt that the 4 ohm version and 8 ohm version have identical sensitivity- if they do, someone is doing something wrong...

A baby MTM with the 8 ohm version, crossed to something like the D26CN55 could be real cute- could tolerate 3 kHz or even a little higher. One thing that's tough with basket designs like this (there was a 5-1/4" Seas PP cone driver back in the 80's) is rear wave masking when you try to mount them in a 3/4" baffle. I got around that using machined aluminum plates to mount all the drivers, mounting that on the baffle, but that's a little beyond the ken for most people, and raises the ante a bit.

What I don't recall seeing on the Aurasound specs was the Xmax- do you know what it is? I'd hope at least 3 mm.

Even if I use the Tang band W4-1337 which seems to have a better basket design, I'm already considering aluminum panels for the same reason. Fortunately they're not too pricey from McMaster-Carr.

Now if only I could get someone to support me, so I could BUILD every idea that comes into my head.
                              the AudioWorx
                              Natalie P
                              M8ta
                              Modula Neo DCC
                              Modula MT XE
                              Modula Xtreme
                              Isiris
                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                              Minerva Monitor
                              Calliope
                              Ardent D

In Development...
                              Obi-Wan
                              Modula PWB
                              Calliope CC Supreme
                              Natalie P Ultra
                              Natalie P Supreme
                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• augerpro
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Aug 2006

I wonder if any of these would be a good replacement for the D26NC

Also I the Morel MDT22 seems decent as a small tweet. I just bought one, I'll post measurements hopefully this week.
                                ~Brandon 8O
                                Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
                                Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
                                DriverVault
                                Soma Sonus

Comment

• dawaro
                                  • Feb 2005

Even if I use the Tang band W4-1337 which seems to have a better basket design, I'm already considering aluminum panels for the same reason. Fortunately they're not too pricey from McMaster-Carr.
                                  If this is the road you go let me know and I will donate them. I have access to 1/4" aluminum plate at work and a buddy with a water jet. We can call it payment for all the advice and the Nat P request I had.
                                  I am not Dawaro the muslim state in Ethiopia...Just DAvid WAyne ROberts

Comment

• Dennis H
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Aug 2002

Looks like plenty of Xmax on the 4" Auras. Gap = 16.7, coil = 5.8.

I still think a line of the 3" or 4" Auras would give the big BG planars a run for the money as a line-source midrange. I can't see anything the BGs do better -- performance, cost, width to get them close to the tweeter line, whatever.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                      Mad Max Moderator
                                      • Aug 2000

Now, why didn't I see the gap spec? Must have lost my glasses today, or forgot to put them on... 5 mm sounds pretty reasonable.

I'd say the NS4 covers a bit different range than the big BG planars- the RD's are optimum in the 500-5000 Hz range (too high for the NS4, IMO) the NS4 looks pretty killer up to maybe 2.5 kHz with a steepish crossover. OK, here's your wacky line array concept, NS4 in a string column up to 1 kHz, the Tang Band up to 6 kHz, and Fountek CD2 or my old original's from 5-6 kHz up. Still not cheap- let's see, for 60" line we'd need 18 NS4, that's $450 a side, a similar number of TangBands (~$900 a side) and the ribbons...

There's gotta be a better way to do that...
                                      the AudioWorx
                                      Natalie P
                                      M8ta
                                      Modula Neo DCC
                                      Modula MT XE
                                      Modula Xtreme
                                      Isiris
                                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                      Minerva Monitor
                                      Calliope
                                      Ardent D

In Development...
                                      Obi-Wan
                                      Modula PWB
                                      Calliope CC Supreme
                                      Natalie P Ultra
                                      Natalie P Supreme
                                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Dennis H
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Aug 2002

the NS4 looks pretty killer up to maybe 2.5 kHz with a steepish crossover.
                                        Right and they could probably reach down to 250-300 or so. A line of JPs should be able to handle above 2.5K with no problem and a line of 10-12" should be able to handle up to 250-300 so you've got a real 20-20K high-output 3-way.

Things that make you go hmmmm.....

Comment

• cjd
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Dec 2004

Hmmm, aluminum eh? Now there's an idea!

XMax specs I've seen suggest 5.25mm on the NS4.

Also, looking at the raw T/S data Madisound provides (not in the PDF) they do indeed seem to be about the same sensitivity for the 4ohm and 8ohm versions.

C
                                          Last edited by cjd; 15 January 2007, 15:01 Monday.

Comment

• TacoD
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Feb 2004

What about the new peerless full range? It featueres a neodymium motor an aluminum dome and copper in the motor. One problem, however, it is an OEM driver.

Name:	264-1044_HR_0.default.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	941414
                                            Last edited by theSven; 22 June 2023, 20:48 Thursday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                              Mad Max Moderator
                                              • Aug 2000

Pretty remarkable range, but I get nervous when they don't publsih an Xmax, power ratings, and the sensitivity number is that low. Still, I'm sure they're not building it unless they have a good market for it- Upgrades for Bose HT Satelites, anyone?
                                              the AudioWorx
                                              Natalie P
                                              M8ta
                                              Modula Neo DCC
                                              Modula MT XE
                                              Modula Xtreme
                                              Isiris
                                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                              Minerva Monitor
                                              Calliope
                                              Ardent D

In Development...
                                              Obi-Wan
                                              Modula PWB
                                              Calliope CC Supreme
                                              Natalie P Ultra
                                              Natalie P Supreme
                                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• capslock
                                                • Dec 2004

12 cmĀ² cone area, that's hardly more than a tweeter.

Comment

• TacoD
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Feb 2004

Also a 3" is coming out in february, yes the product is aimed to accompany their LAT offerings. I just wanted to inform you on the newest offerings of Tymphany.

Comment

• Hank
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Jul 2002

Looks like Smith and Larson are doing some interesting things... just what I don't need, more things to spend money on!
                                                    Yes, that Speaker Tester (ST) is mighty tempting: http://www.woofertester.com

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Nov 2004

Aluminum plate at reasonable prices- delivered promptly - and I did not need to resort to rebel smugglers.

Unless McMaster-Carr has alliances I am not aware of...
                                                      DFAL
                                                      Dark Force Acoustic Labs

A wholly owned subsidiary of Palpatine Heavy Industries

Comment

• cjd
                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                        • Dec 2004

C

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by cjd

Interesting... most interesting.
                                                          DFAL
                                                          Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• Paul W
                                                            • Oct 2004

www.metalexpress.net is also a great source. ME is actually a network of suppliers around the country so nothing is ever "backordered". I've ordered custom cuts 15-20 times over the past couple of years with delivery as quick as 3 days order-to-doorstep.
                                                            Paul

Comment

• cjd
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • Dec 2004

What I like about onlinemetals is not only the variety of options and their cost structure, but the fact that you can get custom cuts (within reason).

Their plastics selection is also very interesting. Very very interesting.

I can see the Emperor demanding 3" Titanium for the baffle now!

C

Comment

• Hank
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Jul 2002

following an ad in CES Daily, I discovered this little interesting driver:

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                                                  • Aug 2000

73 dB /1watt sensitivity!?!?!?!?!

SHhhheeeeeeshhhh! That makes the Arvo Part sensitivity look like a K Horn in comparison!
                                                                  the AudioWorx
                                                                  Natalie P
                                                                  M8ta
                                                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                                                  Modula MT XE
                                                                  Modula Xtreme
                                                                  Isiris
                                                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                  Minerva Monitor
                                                                  Calliope
                                                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                  Obi-Wan
                                                                  Modula PWB
                                                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• dlneubec
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by cjd
                                                                    What I like about onlinemetals is not only the variety of options and their cost structure, but the fact that you can get custom cuts (within reason).

Their plastics selection is also very interesting. Very very interesting.

I can see the Emperor demanding 3" Titanium for the baffle now!

C
                                                                    Has anyone ever tried something like UHMW polyethylene or just HDPE for a baffle? It might be an interesting material to try. I've purchased some industrial HDPE from these guys for pretty cheap for another use in the past and that stuff is heavy, dense, easy to cut, drill, machine, no sawdust problems,etc. I don't know if you can glue it at all, so it might only work for bolt-on type baffle. These guys use it for cutting boards and even have it in some colors.
                                                                    Cutting Board Factory
                                                                    Dan N.

Comment

• Hank
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • Jul 2002

I just opened an old link to see what it was, and found this:

Have I missed a post on this? The fr graph looks good. Prodigious Xmax. Of course it's not a metal cone... :roll:

Comment

• jkrueger
                                                                        • Mar 2006

Under Budget Maybe?

There have been a lot of drivers suggested for the mid of this cool project. Every single one of them has been substantially less expensive than either accuton mid suggested at the beginning....I'm wondering if this project might come in under budget???

:fart:
                                                                        Do you smell something?

Jon

Comment

• cjd
                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                          • Dec 2004
                                                                          • 5570

Originally posted by Hank
                                                                          I just opened an old link to see what it was, and found this:

Have I missed a post on this? The fr graph looks good. Prodigious Xmax. Of course it's not a metal cone... :roll:
                                                                          Yes, poly sounds muffled...

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                            Mad Max Moderator
                                                                            • Aug 2000
                                                                            • 15290

There are really two projects here, it seems, the M10ta, which is more "budget" focused but with similar cabinet design (if you so choose), and Evil Twin's more "no holds barred" M12ta, with one of the Accuton mids, C30N tweeter, and the NS12 Aurasound woofer.

Now, if there's a surpise upset in driver performance, who knows? Maybe the M10ta should be specifically pitched as "how close can we get for a whole lot less money?"

It might come in much more like the M8ta with Rs28a as regards component cost, but the cabinets still won't be a walk in the park. But, imagine an RS270 up to 400 Hz or so, possibly the Tangband or RS125 up to 3 kHz, and any number of reasonably low distortion tweeters above that- H1189, D26CN55, your choice... just needs to be fairly clean at up to 104-106 dB in the required range.

The RS270 would require a fairly large cabinet, so same basic 75 liter design as the M12ta; - 6dB anechoic with Fb tuning of 26 Hz with 3" ID flared port is about 30 Hz, with significant output (up to 100 dB anechoic per cabinet) down to ~24 Hz. Not as good as the M12ta projects, but... a bunch less bucks and more sensitive. With 5 dB of BSC, overall sensitivity should be ~85 dB.
                                                                            the AudioWorx
                                                                            Natalie P
                                                                            M8ta
                                                                            Modula Neo DCC
                                                                            Modula MT XE
                                                                            Modula Xtreme
                                                                            Isiris
                                                                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                            Minerva Monitor
                                                                            Calliope
                                                                            Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                            Obi-Wan
                                                                            Modula PWB
                                                                            Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                            Natalie P Ultra
                                                                            Natalie P Supreme
                                                                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• jkrueger
                                                                              Member
                                                                              • Mar 2006
                                                                              • 78

Don't bother

Thanks for the quick respons John

This feels like a stupid question....but I will ask it anyway.....Is the Mt10a going to be a 3-way? I only ask because I have looked at the FR chart for the Aurasound 10". I would imagine that you could probably create a 2-way out of it.

Jon

Edit* Too late and a few drinks=stupid ops:
                                                                              Last edited by jkrueger; 20 January 2007, 11:08 Saturday. Reason: Stupidity

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                • Aug 2000
                                                                                • 15290

The M10ta will be three way; the cone control of the Aurasound appears remarkable as does their NS12, but there's also beaming with rising frequency relative to the larger cone to consider. For the approximately 6" diameter cone in an 8" woofer, 1000-1200 Hz is OK; for the 7-1/2 to 8" diameter cone in a 10, an upper limit of maybe 900 Hz is appropriate, which to keep some good transistion band behavior, means maybe 600 - 700 Hz max in practice?

The Dayton RS270 has a reasonable looking on axis FR up to 1 kHz, but energy storage behavior indicates one might prefer to restrict it's range to 600 Hz.

I think you could do a two way possibly with the Aurasound, but it would require something like a BMS 4540 driver and a DDS waveguide working down to 1 kHz, which is a bit of a stretch even for those pieces.

To get a nice room energy power response, the mid range and even the tweeter will be operating in close to 4 pi space at the lower end of their range, to improve 60 degree off axis capabilities. This is a function of driver selection, and cabinet and crossover design.
                                                                                the AudioWorx
                                                                                Natalie P
                                                                                M8ta
                                                                                Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                Modula MT XE
                                                                                Modula Xtreme
                                                                                Isiris
                                                                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                Minerva Monitor
                                                                                Calliope
                                                                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                Obi-Wan
                                                                                Modula PWB
                                                                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• jkrueger
                                                                                  Member
                                                                                  • Mar 2006
                                                                                  • 78

8O Hello? Anybody home? 8O :tv:

Comment

• crackyflipside
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Nov 2006
                                                                                    • 197

What is the guesstimated budget for this new 3-way?

$500 / pair?

$750?

$1000?
                                                                                    -Chris B

;x( DIY

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                                      • Nov 2004
                                                                                      • 1532

Originally posted by Evil Twin
                                                                                      The parameters of the design establish the basic budget because of the limited cost/performance ratios of available drivers.

In this case, the expected driver budget per pair is about $1500-$1600.

While some designs have been known to have crossover costs well exceeding the cost of the drivers, that is not expected in this case, though it is a three way, and wil require solid impedance compensation networks as well. An approximate estimate would be $500, perhaps $750 with some upgrades or unforseen issues.

Then, there is the cabinet- BB ply and HDF primarily; choice of veneer will establish the upper cost limits. A reasonble total estimate is under $3K.

That is a fairly high cost for a DIY system, but understand the target is systems in the $20-$30K range like the Avalon Eidelon.
                                                                                      This is for the M12ta. An M10ta with RS270 and alternate midrange and tweeter might be half that cost.

Moving the Imperial labs this week has limited available time for testing, but that may be remedied this coming week.
                                                                                      DFAL
                                                                                      Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• crackyflipside
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Nov 2006
                                                                                        • 197

That proposed budget even looks reasonable for a piece of Bantha pudu like me.

I have great confidence in the Dark Lord of the Sith.
                                                                                        -Chris B

;x( DIY

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • Nov 2004
                                                                                          • 1532

Regarding the Tangband Midrange

The Emperor is not pleased with the delays, but accepts that the relocation of the Imperial laboratory has some unavoidable consequences.

First, measured SPL and phase on a 2' X 2' baffle with short window (1.6 msec) to avoid room and baffle effects.

Name:	W4-1337-1W_SPL-PHS.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	928914

Clearly a potential candidate for an extended top range mid driver, rivaling dome midrange units.

Next, HD2 measured at 1 Watt with an 8 msec window, so that lower frequencies can be seen (using Praxis Flex window mode).

Name:	W4-1337-1W_SPLHD2A.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	928915

Not as low as might be liked, but probably usable.

Last, HD3 level, which gives more clues about how hard it's working at 87 dB output...

Name:	W4-1337-1W_SPLHD3A.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	928916

Not at the levels which a Peerless 830883 achieves over a narrow frequency range, but nonetheless impressive... most impressive. Probably very usable wtih 3-5 kHz crossover with LR4 or better. Certainly an extended range for a cone device in it's price range.
                                                                                          Last edited by theSven; 21 February 2023, 23:08 Tuesday. Reason: Updated URL for htguide
                                                                                          DFAL
                                                                                          Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                                            • Nov 2004
                                                                                            • 1532

Accuton C79 basic measurements

SPL measurements made with short window on 2' X 2' baffle to reduce room effects, with flex windowing on.

Name:	C79-SPL-PHS.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	928917

As is the case with most published C79 measurements, there is something of a lift in the 1-2 kHz area, possibly because of the limited rear window.

HD2 with 8 msec window at 1 watt drive

Name:	C79-SP-HD2.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	928918

On this alone I would suggest a uesful range from ~500 Hz to no more than 4 kHz.

HD3

Name:	C79-SP-HD3.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	928919

HD4

Name:	C79-SP-HD4.jpg
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	928920

Altogether, possibly a useful operating range from 350 Hz to no more than 3 kHz.
                                                                                            Last edited by theSven; 21 February 2023, 23:09 Tuesday. Reason: Updated URL for htguide
                                                                                            DFAL
                                                                                            Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"