Class is in- that is, CLASS D in in session now!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Class is in- that is, CLASS D in in session now!

That was quick of Kevin- thank you very much for getting this up so quickly.

Now we can move some of the topics from our emails to the forum- it also occurs to me that I can start a "White Paper" thread and discuss some of the technical topics regarding the input stage, power bypass, supply regulators, and protection systems.

Some of this is because I want you all on board, but also it will be helpful for you to have a clear notion of the complexities involved; not to make too big a deal, but not to overlook things. There are several paths that could be taken, and even the OEM Adapter board is one possibility for a simple setup that roughly approximates an NCORE 400 DIY setup. Probably the best thing to do is to start separate threads on each key topic and functionality issue.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....
  • TEK
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Great, then we have a forum area :-)
    I agree with you that it might be a good idea to start new threads on key areas. In addition I guess we might as well start separate build threads for actual builds, but then split out if there are more general issues?
    -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• dar47
      • Nov 2008

Great, I'm in I think.8O

I think I'm probably the least complicated just a stereo case with dual mono, 2-SMPS1200A700 & 2-NC500's. I just need Balanced connection as I would then be balanced through my whole chain and would like,

1. Power trigger from off or standby state, on / off switch can be on the back as this will be mounted on a shelf in the rack.

2. A power source from standby and on for a front led display. The led display can be made from a couple of addressable Neo pixel strips programmed from an Arduino UNO board and would just change color to indicate on or standby, protection if there is a state like this for Ncore. If power is only available when ON then that's fine too I just have to be able to control the LED's brightness when on.

3. I have no need to switch OP amps what ever is chosen is fine. Jon what ever board for input you deem an improvement is fine with me.

I have an Emotiva XPA-5 all the power I need for 5 channels of home theater.

TEK, sure you need a 5 channels of Ncore an XPA-5 is $800. US? Great buy with your new 8801av. I have the AV7005.

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

One thing I recommend or request is that each of you start a thread outlining your own goals and your current perception of what you need to get there...

Darrel, it's sounding a bit like the performance of the OEM adapter board would be OK for your requirements. That could get you up and running very quickly.

My interest is in a fairly comprehensive solution, with additional supply bypass/filtering, a lower noise front end with transformer isolation (presuming it ends up working as I expect), higher performance regulation for the signal front end (not 78xx class regulators as used on the OEM board); a separate DC detect and speaker relay for additional system protection, and stuffing options for controlling the configuration (for example, the "normal" Hypex dual op amp instrumentation front end takes so little board space, that this could be put on also, and then the board configuration (transformer and special differential amp, or standard Hypex approach) be determined by what's stuffed and connected.

We might want to have separate threads discussing each of these topics; I'm thinking to do that as an alternative to a conventional white paper in Word or Pages, just for the purposes of information sharing.
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• TEK
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

Originally posted by dar47
          Great, I'm in I think.8O

I think I'm probably the least complicated just a stereo case with dual mono, 2-SMPS1200A700 & 2-NC500's. I just need Balanced connection as I would then be balanced through my whole chain and would like,

1. Power trigger from off or standby state, on / off switch can be on the back as this will be mounted on a shelf in the rack.

2. A power source from standby and on for a front led display. The led display can be made from a couple of addressable Neo pixel strips programmed from an Arduino UNO board and would just change color to indicate on or standby, protection if there is a state like this for Ncore. If power is only available when ON then that's fine too I just have to be able to control the LED's brightness when on.

3. I have no need to switch OP amps what ever is chosen is fine. Jon what ever board for input you deem an improvement is fine with me.

I have an Emotiva XPA-5 all the power I need for 5 channels of home theater.

TEK, sure you need a 5 channels of Ncore an XPA-5 is $800. US? Great buy with your new 8801av. I have the AV7005.
          I'm sure I don't need a 5 channels of Ncore. And I'm sure I want one ;-)
          If you look at the cost it will run 130 *3 = 400 euro for for the SMTP, then 6 * 80 = 500 for the NCore. So we're at 900 euro for the basic.
          What I do not yet know - and that I'm considering as we go along, is how many features of Jons System board I will add to the 5/6 channel amp. That will depend on the cost and size.
          One direction that I might be following is to max out on the nice stuff for the center channel and save a bit on the rest of the channels. If so then the center channel will be full mono with a single SMTP for itself, while the 4 other channel will use one SMTP pr. 2 channel and maybe less stuffed system boards.
          Or... I just go full blown kamakazie on all channels ;-) Ehh, the 4 channels will have to share two SMTP's - that's given in any of the configurations beeing considered.
          -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• dar47
            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by JonMarsh
            Darrel, it's sounding a bit like the performance of the OEM adapter board would be OK for your requirements. That could get you up and running very quickly.
            Thanks Jon, I hope I'm not pushing you. I have an amp so there is no rush. The only thing that's bugging me a little is the NC400 with the SMPS600 was optimized by Bruno to be the DIY'ers perfect match and the OEM NC500 and NC1200 versions were left to be optimized according to the OEM's flavor. Just using the SMS12A700 made for UCD and their input board seems quick but I'm wondering probably like you if there is more to be had with a little care. I would rather not rush even though Tek's deal is fantastic and see what your tests come up with. This will probably be an amp I'll stick with for a while and I have some work to do with the display as well as needing spring to do a wood front for the case version I'm planning. I'll start my thread when I have the display up and working.

Comment

• TEK
              Super Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

Originally posted by dar47
              Thanks Jon, I hope I'm not pushing you. I have an amp so there is no rush. The only thing that's bugging me a little is the NC400 with the SMPS600 was optimized by Bruno to be the DIY'ers perfect match and the OEM NC500 and NC1200 versions were left to be optimized according to the OEM's flavor. Just using the SMS12A700 made for UCD and their input board seems quick but I'm wondering probably like you if there is more to be had with a little care. I would rather not rush even though Tek's deal is fantastic and see what your tests come up with. This will probably be an amp I'll stick with for a while and I have some work to do with the display as well as needing spring to do a wood front for the case version I'm planning. I'll start my thread when I have the display up and working.
              Darell, what do you mean by "have the display up and working"?
              Does this include selecting part, Arduino board and so on?
              I'm very interested in hearing about this so feel free to make a thread and tell something about it. I have long over 10 years experience in software development and coding solutions as well has beeing tech lead and team lead on several projects. And I have tried a bit Ardino stuff as I used a Ardino board on my water cooled router (rele control, temperature monitoring, water pump monitoring as well as controlling router speed based on switch i put).
              A bit rusty these day as I'm more working on software system design and business analysis - but still interested in the nifty gritty details. Have some arduino boards laying around at home as well ;-)
              So - feel free to start a thread about this :-)
              -TEK

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"