Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cncfun
    • Mar 2021

CNC Translam Bookshelf Build

I have a CNC machine and I am interested in building some nice speakers. I am looking for ideas and designs for some nice bookshelves. I've seen lots of cool designs and builds out there, but nothing with cad files. I am still learning and I am not great at CAD. I know just enough to edit existing files, create my toolpaths, etc.

Is anyone aware of any available design with cad drawings? I want to try a translam build but I am not sure where to start. I was considering buying a kit from Mensiscus or diysg, but I would need a cabinet design. I am hoping to find something with some curves not just the traditional rectangular design.

Thanks!
  • 1Michael
    • Sep 2006

Generally people choose a speaker project based upon various criteria such as cost, size, sound, etc. Then they create a CAD file for that project. There is not a lot of people with CNC machines, so I suggest you decide on a project that fits first...
    Michael
    Chesapeake Va.

Comment

• Steve Manning
      • Dec 2006

Like Michael was saying, pick a design first and then look into if you can make the cabinet design your own. You don't get many folks that have a CNC to do their speaker projects and those of us that do have one have to learn the CAD as well as the CAM side of things for project creation. Out of curiosity, what type of machine and software do you have?
      Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• cncfun
        • Mar 2021

Originally posted by Steve Manning
        Like Michael was saying, pick a design first and then look into if you can make the cabinet design your own. You don't get many folks that have a CNC to do their speaker projects and those of us that do have one have to learn the CAD as well as the CAM side of things for project creation. Out of curiosity, what type of machine and software do you have?
        I have a Shapeoko 3 XXL. For software, I have fusion 360 and Vectric Aspire. As far as designs, I am looking for something I can eventually turn into a 5.1 system. My price range is fairly flexible but trying to keep it under $1000/pr. In the past, I built a 5.1 system using blues MTM towers and blues MT for surrounds. Whatever I build will eventually replace that. I want to start with bookshelves that will eventually become surrounds. The biggest challenge always seems to be finding a design that has a center channel. I was considering the ER18MTM, but I don't know what I would use for surrounds as I only see the tower configuration. I've always wanted to try statement II's, but I need a design that can be placed near a wall. I will be powering them with a Denon Receiver, so 6-8ohm would be best. I have my doubts with using this receiver to power 4-ohm speakers.

The reason I was asking if anyone had any CAD files they were willing to share is so I could use them as a starting point. I'm fairly decent at editing existing files, I'm just not great at creating them from scratch.

Comment

• Bear
          Super Senior Member
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by cncfun
          I have a Shapeoko 3 XXL. For software, I have fusion 360 and Vectric Aspire. As far as designs, I am looking for something I can eventually turn into a 5.1 system. My price range is fairly flexible but trying to keep it under $1000/pr. In the past, I built a 5.1 system using blues MTM towers and blues MT for surrounds. Whatever I build will eventually replace that. I want to start with bookshelves that will eventually become surrounds. The biggest challenge always seems to be finding a design that has a center channel. I was considering the ER18MTM, but I don't know what I would use for surrounds as I only see the tower configuration. I've always wanted to try statement II's, but I need a design that can be placed near a wall. I will be powering them with a Denon Receiver, so 6-8ohm would be best. I have my doubts with using this receiver to power 4-ohm speakers.

The reason I was asking if anyone had any CAD files they were willing to share is so I could use them as a starting point. I'm fairly decent at editing existing files, I'm just not great at creating them from scratch.
          A center channel could be a small bookshelf -- if you have the height for it. In fact, a 15cm or 18cm woofer plus a tweeter make a better center channel than most WT/MW designs due to the lack of inherent cancellations in the layout. You can avoid these cancellations, but then the design needs to have some form of built-in phase coherency. For the design superstars, that's something like a Duelund topology. For mere mortals, you can work to keep the wing woofers within a quarter wavelength of each other, but this makes for a very low crossover point (200 - 300 Hz, at most) to the midrange. IF you strip off the woofers, and turn that midrange into a midwoofer, you find yourself landing back at a small-ish bookshelf.
          Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• Evil Twin
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

This is a commendable direction for development you have chosen- there is no way to avoid the down payment in learning the necessary tools and development techniques.

If you haven't already read this thread, I suggest a thorough perusal...

And this one may be of interest and use also...

Click image for larger version

Name:	i-pqs9WWJ-X2.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	265.4 KB
ID:	932934
            Last edited by theSven; 09 April 2023, 03:51 Sunday. Reason: Update image location and htguide url
            DFAL
            Dark Force Acoustic Labs

A wholly owned subsidiary of Palpatine Heavy Industries

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"