Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • csmielke
    • Jan 2015

TEK,
    I used 3M Dinoc Vinyl wrap film CA-1170 gloss black carbon fiber wrap on a pair of small monitors. I chose it because I thought it looked most like real carbon fiber. I combined it with a titanium painted, beveled front baffle and the two looked great together. You do have the same amount of prep work as paint since any flaws in the finish show up as print through in the final product. Also, an extra set of hands when laying it down is helpful to get it right the first time.
    Good luck,
    Chris

Comment

• TEK
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

Thanks for the input folks, I’ll see what it will be to - will do the groundwork the same way anyway, then decide.

On a different topic - while some more woodworking slowly progresses - she will also need something to power up these with.
      I would like her to be able to use her Phone, iPad or PC as the sound source, from anywhere in the room.
      I think Bluethoot is the most available tech to make this possible.

Due to various historical events I do have in my possession:
      - 2 Hypex NC500 evaluation board
      - 2 Hypex NC500 amp moduled
      - 2 Hypex SMPS1200A power supplies (will most likely just use one for this build)

Anyone have some good input on what I could use to make this into a 2-channel integrated amplifier that support Bluethoot sources?
      It would need to be some way of controlling the amplifiers output level - so that the speakers does not receive full power output if the connected bluethoot device is on full power.
      At the same time sound level (up to a upper limit) should be possible to control from the bluethoot device.

Any input appriciated.
      -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• TEK
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Hi

Wonder if someone here has a tip for me.
        I’m trying to cover the speaker in epoxy to make a solif and even foundation before I’m starting to paint it.
        I’m using Westsystem epoxy 105/206 mixed according to specification.
        However, the result is really crappy, pure shit! I’m getting absurd orange skin and uneven results.
        The epoxy was applied with a foam roll. I also experienced that even if I used a small foam roll - it sucked up a lot of the epoxy, leaving less to the speaker surface

So, two questions for me:
        1) how do I get a better result
        2) what should I use to apply the epoxy with so that I do not have to use a lot just to fill the roller

Click image for larger version

Name:	7A87219D-0729-42A0-B24C-6A68B3F61692.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	865417
        -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• Bear
          Super Senior Member
          • Dec 2008

I'm not sure this helps, but it may give you some ideas.

Examples of surface imperfections in epoxy and preventing and/or fixing them. For more information, please go to http://www.aeromarineproducts.com/ or call ...
          Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• theSven
            Master of None
            • Jan 2014

I have used a plastic putty knife and that works pretty well, and the next best thing would be a foam brush. That looks normal though for a seal coat though. The flood coat is the one that you want to come out smooth. Otherwise you can knock it down with sanding, or add another coat and then sand. The nice thing about epoxy is that you can always sand and add more. I used to order a lot of material when I did glass work from this place: https://www.fibreglast.com/ They also had some really good training DVD's too.
            Painter in training

Comment

• TEK
              Super Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

This is one of the slowest build ever - that’s for sure!
              First, some experiences on the epoxy.
              My very subjective and personal thought is that the extreme orange skin I got was caused by some kind of reaction, most likely between the epoxy and the wood potty I used.
              When sanding the speakers before epoxying this was spread out and then mixed into the epoxy when it was applied. But just my subjective idea - may be correct or wrong.

Anyway, I switched from the quite expensive epoxy I was using to cheap Biltema epoxy that also could be applied with a cheap spray gun. After quite some layers and sanding (main issue with thise was some bad ground work and issues with the mdf causing the need for quite some work to get everything even enough for a decent paint job.
              I found that process to go quite OK. The Biltema epoxy was quite easy to sand.
              Then I applied a couple of wet-in-wet layers of Glasurit gray filler and sanded it until I had a nice even finish.
              Added two and 1/3 layer of Glasurit wayer based metallic base coat in one go.
              Right after that I applied two wet-in-wet layers of clear coat.
              Got some light orange peal, and today I sanded in down, starting with 600 paper and worked me up to 4000 trough 1000 and 3000. Finished it off with polish.

No, just the electrical part left 😊

Result...

Name:	8453373A-AD01-498D-92B7-434A170BD745.jpg
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	865729Click image for larger version

Name:	2EC98750-2F56-4BE0-984B-5FBADC0F4A3C.jpg
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	865728
              -TEK

Comment

• TEK
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

Time to start looking into the crossover

Do not think I have checked what part I got with the elements - guess I have to do that now
                -TEK

Comment

• TEK
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

Originally posted by TEK
                  Time to start looking into the crossover

Do not think I have checked what part I got with the elements - guess I have to do that now
                  could someone help me out here?
                  Does the red text mean that there should not be a physical residtor on the board for R3 and R11?
                  And the ref text that I need to identify the resistanve in L6 to identify the actual value of R7?
                  -TEK

Comment

• Bear
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by TEK
                    could someone help me out here?
                    Does the red text mean that there should not be a physical residtor on the board for R3 and R11?
                    And the ref text that I need to identify the resistanve in L6 to identify the actual value of R7?
                    Yes. L10 is a 2.7mH inductor with a DCR of 0.168 ohms.

R7 = 4.7 ohms minus the DCR of L6.

Comment

• TEK
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Oct 2002

Thanks

I have gone over the parts I have already and made up a overview of what I have and what I need to buy, as well as what I think I should buy.
                      But I do not know if what I have and what I'm planning to buy is right quality level for this speaker. I'm targeting "good enought" and "value" as principles for the selections here.

Overview of parts I have and are planning to order:
                      Ark 1 Part,Value,Status,Have or plan to buy,Comment C1,30uF,Must buy,33uF 400Vdc Jantzen Standard Z-Cap L2,0,25mH,Have,000-1076 0.25mH Jantzen Air Core Wire Coil AWG18, 1mm diameter wire,0,22R R...

Name:	temp.jpg
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	865730

Any input on changes I should or must do are very welcome!
                      -TEK

Comment

• Bear
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Dec 2008

For a small speaker, the Clarity CSAs are much smaller than the Jantzen Superior if you are going with an internal crossover. That will save you a bit of board area.

I don't have any of the Cross Caps or Standard Z for comparison, though.

Comment

• TEK
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Bear
                          For a small speaker, the Clarity CSAs are much smaller than the Jantzen Superior if you are going with an internal crossover. That will save you a bit of board area.

I don't have any of the Cross Caps or Standard Z for comparison, though.
                          Thanks bear!

I actually have quite OK with space for the crossover - and as this crossover has quite few components - I do not see that I will have any space issue with the selected caps.
                          Those that I already have is fairly small, and the other ones I have checked the size of and they are OK as well.

I'm more unsure if the Iron coil for L10 is OK to use or if there are some of these I should exchange due to quality issues - aka they are not "worthy" for the speaker elements, even given a hight focus on value vs. performance.
                          -TEK

Comment

• Bear
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by TEK
                            Thanks bear!

I actually have quite OK with space for the crossover - and as this crossover has quite few components - I do not see that I will have any space issue with the selected caps.
                            Those that I already have is fairly small, and the other ones I have checked the size of and they are OK as well.

I'm more unsure if the Iron coil for L10 is OK to use or if there are some of these I should exchange due to quality issues - aka they are not "worthy" for the speaker elements, even given a hight focus on value vs. performance.
                            A 15ga pCore might be worth the upgrade if it's available in that size. I've got a pair of 2mH ones on my Helios speakers that are almost complete. Hot glue doesn't seem to work too well with them, so a supplementary restraint (e.g., nylon cable ties aka "zip ties") are a good idea to keep them in place.

Comment

• TEK
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Oct 2002

Ahh, and there is sound!

Just finished them tonight.
                              Both speakers was laster tested and verified to be working
                              Need to hook up the amp on her room as well as some speaker cabels, but getting there now!

Will get a picture of the completed speakers later, but for now, the last build pictures.

Name:	IMG_2739[1].jpg
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	865792

Name:	IMG_2735[1].jpg
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	865790

Name:	IMG_2738[1].jpg
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	865791
                              -TEK

Comment

• dar47
                                • Nov 2008

Hey, Tek

Bet she loves the color! Now does she get a Ncore or Purifi build to drive those?

Long time ago you asked for a center channel facet idea, I like this,

Comment

• TEK
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Oct 2002

Originally posted by dar47
                                  Hey, Tek

Bet she loves the color! Now does she get a Ncore or Purifi build to drive those?

Long time ago you asked for a center channel facet idea, I like this,

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Discovery-CENTER.htm
                                  Thanks for the idea on the center. that was a nice design!

Actually, right now she will get an old 5 channel Thule receiver I had stashed away.
                                  But yes, I would like to build a small nc500 based amp, preferable with a buildt in bluethoot receiver, so that she might use her phone to play music from.
                                  Pondering if I should go for one or two smps1200 power supplies. I think one would do, and it would allow for a smaller form factor.
                                  Should probably have a volume control to set a upper limit, so that she does not blow the speakers if the bluethoot source (her phone) is on max vol when connected. Also need to find a decent quality bluethoot receiver card with dac/preamp that may be mounted in the same box.
                                  Maybe I should start a build thread for that - could need some help on the design/parts...
                                  -TEK

Comment

• ergo
                                    • Mar 2005

I have gone through a bit of the same for a consultation project I can't talk much about... but from that research - have you seen this one
                                    The new Harman Kardon Citation Amp has been initially launched in Europe for now. The new product offers a very interesting set of features, in a compact, Internet-connected Class D design, extending even further the brand's Citation family of connected home audio products, including support for WiSA uncompressed wireless surround technology. Carrying the longstanding tradition of the Harman Kardon Citation designation, the new Class D Citation Amp evolves as a Digital Loop Amplifier controlled by the Axign AX5689 IC and audio converter.

For "...selling for £549 " it does a lot and it's even hard to equal the functionality with DIY modules available.

Comment

• TEK
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Oct 2002

Originally posted by ergo
                                      I have gone through a bit of the same for a consultation project I can't talk much about... but from that research - have you seen this one
                                      The new Harman Kardon Citation Amp has been initially launched in Europe for now. The new product offers a very interesting set of features, in a compact, Internet-connected Class D design, extending even further the brand's Citation family of connected home audio products, including support for WiSA uncompressed wireless surround technology. Carrying the longstanding tradition of the Harman Kardon Citation designation, the new Class D Citation Amp evolves as a Digital Loop Amplifier controlled by the Axign AX5689 IC and audio converter.

For "...selling for £549 " it does a lot and it's even hard to equal the functionality with DIY modules available.
                                      Looks like a neat product, but it would not utilize the nc500/smps1200 I have standing on my shelf :W
                                      And a nc500 based amp should still outperform a 200w@4ohm amp, given I’m able to find some decent line stage and bluethoot modules...
                                      But of course, with my build speed - it will take some years to finishops:

BRW ergo, sent you a PM on DIYAudio 8)
                                      -TEK

Comment

• TEK
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Oct 2002

Finished speakers...

Name:	6202AAE3-E462-41CF-9FB6-4118326E0B83.jpg
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	865799

Name:	77B35E98-1418-49C3-9A42-A3CFDA3C45FD.jpg
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	865800

Name:	42771998-7AB9-4010-A602-04C9391B150A.jpg
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	865801
                                        -TEK

Comment

• dar47
                                          • Nov 2008

Very nice :T Love the stand off front baffle. How do they sound?

Comment

• TEK
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Oct 2002

Originally posted by dar47
                                            Very nice :T Love the stand off front baffle. How do they sound?
                                            Actually quite well!
                                            The placement is quite close to the wall/corner, but that does not seem to be a problem.
                                            The imaging is very good, and the singer is nicely placed in the middel as it should be.
                                            In the beginning I was wondering if they were a bit on the lean side, but after let them play for a day the have loosen up and seem to have developed to a nice and full sound.
                                            I will have to sit down for bit longer periode of time to do get a full impression, but so far I like what I hear.
                                            -TEK

Comment

Working...
                                            😀
                                            😂
                                            🥰
                                            😘
                                            🤢
                                            😎
                                            😞
                                            😡
                                            👍
                                            👎
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"