• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TEK
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

New speaker to my daughter

Hi

Last year I buildt a speaker to my daughter.
    However, I have 4 of them and now my second one also wants a set to have in her bedrom.
    I have a long time wanted to build something based on scan-speak revelator drivers.

One option I have come across is this one:

It seems to use interesting drivers and to be in the right size range.

Does anyone have comments about this design?
    Or other designs that you think I should consider?

(I’m in Norway, so scandinavian drivers is a pro, and as mentioned, scan-speak revelator even more so)
    -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...
  • Jonasz
    • Nov 2004

I think this one looks interesting, fun with wg's. There are several more interesting designs on his page.

Comment

• TEK
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

Thanks, a lot of interesting stuff there.
      Found these on the builders page very impressive!
      -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• TEK
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

I’m going to try to compile a list of designs and eventually add a pro/con section so that I might select a design.
        The list is updated and is now in a prioritized order, with the hottest candidates at top of the list.

Revelation Two – M4 WG

Cost 1000 usd

Revelator 4R

Cost 700 Euro
        Kid available, very good description

Revelation Two MKII

Cost 1200 usd
        Maybe out, a bit costy

Zaph|Audio ZD5

Crossover for the Zaph Audio ZD5  - Each This is a 2-way design using the Scan-speak 15W/8530K-00 and the Peerless XT25TG30-04.  You can also use the Danish made Scan-speak version of this tweeter, the R2604/8320. Link to this design on the Zaph Audio site: http://www.zaphaudio.com/ZD5.html This crossover contains many parts, and to keep the parts from interacting with each other, the boards are pretty large. It could be challenging to fit the crossover boards in the 0.50 cu ft sealed enclosure depending on if and how you brace it. Keep this in mind when constructing. You may consider going external on the crossovers or building their own seperate box. There is ample room in the base chamber of the  0.88 cu ft vented enclosure.  Each channel is assembled on two circuit boards. One board is 9.55" x 4.05" and the other is 11" x 5.625" The price is for one channel, order two if you require a stereo pair.   

Cost 650 usd
        Maybe out: the crossover seems to be a bit more complex than nessesarly, and it does not seem like builders out there is just happy about the result. Also, no kid so it will require a part hunt

Scan-speak rediscovery kit

Cost 750 usd
        Out: Unknown designer, and I think I will put my trust in well known designers, as the reminding candidates are goran and truls, both very experienced

Carerra

Cost 750 usd
        Out: I want a design using the uncoted revelator driver, this design used the coated.

HiquiSpeak

Cost ? usd (no kit, several sorces nessesarly)
        Out: I want a design using the uncoted revelator driver, this design used the coated.

Revelation Two MKII BE

Cost 1800 usd
        Out: to expensive

Zaph|Audio ZRT

ZRT 2-Way,  Zaph|Audio Revelator Tower - Parts Only - PairPrice shown is for a PAIR Madisound and Zaph Audio are pleased to bring you the Zaph Revelator Tower. The ZRT is raising the bar for easy to build high-end speaker kits. Once again, we would like to thank John Krutke for his design work and overall contribution to DIY speaker building. Full documentation of this design can be found on Zaph Audio. The ZRT is an extremely versatile premium speaker kit utilizing Scan-Speak Revelator drivers. The 2-Way configuration is designed for ported use in the Madisound MD38T tower cabinet. In addition to a ported MD38T, the ZRT 2-Way is also suitable for a sealed alignment in the Madisound MD20 cabinet. The tweeter used is the Scan-Speak “AirCirc” D3004/6600. This is the latest and most advanced release from the famous Revelator tweeter line. The mid/bass driver is the Scan-Speak 18W/8531G. This 7” slit paper cone driver is widely considered one of the best mid/bass units in existence. The combination of these drivers and Zaph’s design expertise has yielded a world-class speaker system. Two crossover options are available for the ZRT 2-Way Kit. Both options use Mundorf metal oxide resistors for the tweeter, air core inductors in parallel tweeter circuits and a XPP polypropylene capacitor in the parallel woofer circuit. The woofer and tweeter crossovers come assembled, with each mounted on their own Matrix and 149B circuit boards. This allows for bi-amp/bi-wiring if desired, and flexibility in cabinet placement. The standard crossover uses: ClarityCap CSA capacitors in series tweeter circuit, Solen Fast Cap in parallel tweeter circuit, and Solen Perfect Lay 14awg inductor in series woofer circuit. Note: Picture shows Sledgehammer Steel laminate inductor which is currently unavailable.  The upgraded crossover uses: ClarityCap CSA capacitors in series tweeter circuit, Solen Fast Cap in parallel tweeter circuit, and Goertz Copper Foil 14 AWG or 12 AWG inductor in the series woofer circuit. [Please note the older-style SA capacitors are depicted in the picture] If there is a specific combination of premium parts (Madisound stock only) that you would like to use for this crossover, please contact us by email with that parts list for a quote. The crossover parts we use are a good choice in this application and provide excellent results, but we will of course accomodate to your own taste. A ZRT 2.5 Way version is also available with an additional 18W/8531G mid/bass driver. This configuration can be done in a sealed MD38T tower cabinet, or ported in your own larger cabinet. See Zaph Audio for more details. The ZRT 2-Way Kit includes: (2) D3004/6600 “AirCirc” Tweeters (2) 18W/8531G  7” Revelator Woofers (2) Assembled Crossovers - Standard   Optional ZRT 2-Way Accessories Package includes: (2) TD-CUPS Input Cups – 2 per pair High quality gold plated brass binding posts Accepts banana plugs, spades or raw wire Bi-wire/Bi-amp capable (2) 2FLARE 2” Precision Ports See vented tuning options - both flares with no center piece is recommended Promotes optimal air flow Reduces/eliminates port noise and chuffing (16') Supra Classic 1.6 Internal Wire – 15awg Tin Plated OFC Copper (8') Foam gasket tape for air tight seal of drivers (1) Goop for gluing foam sheets and ports (16) Quick Connects - for easy connection of speaker wire to drivers & input cup tabs Black Ox/Wax Mounting Hardware (22) Screw Size 8, 1" Phillips Pan Head, Black Ox & Wax Finish (8) Screw Size 6, 3/4" Phillips Oval Head, Black Ox & Wax Internal Dampening Materials (2) Open cell acoustic Foam Sheet 27" x 42" x 5/8" (2.5#) Acousta-Stuff complex fiber fill You may select this accessories package along with kit purchase, or buy your parts individually. Kit discount only applies to this accessories package, not individual parts purchases. Kit pricing reflects a 10% discount to all drivers and accessories. Want custom cabinets built? Many of our cabinets can be custom built be Lee Taylor & Co of Philmont NY.  Please follow this link to Lee's website and discuss veneer options and pricing.  Lee can also put your speakers togeter for an additional fee. http://www.taylorspeakers.com/html/custom__kits.html

Cost 1000usd
        Out: To big cabinet/needs bigger cab for vented

Ellam Flex

Out: do not like the look of the baffel
        Last edited by TEK; 11 January 2019, 02:48 Friday.
        -TEK

Comment

• Jonasz
          • Nov 2004

You also have the excellent Hiquphon tweeters. Here's the Carrera design by Paul Carmody.

Lou C's Rev/Hiq version.

I believe Zaph has a Rev/XT25 design also.

Comment

• Bear
            Super Senior Member
            • Dec 2008

Zaph ZRT

JonMarsh's Modula MT-XE -- Perhaps using the Visaton waveguide in lieu of the MCM one that Jon used.

Smaller 3-way Monitors, courtesy of Troels...

Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• TEK
              Super Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

Thanks Jonasz.- I have added your suggestins to the list.

Bear, thanks to you to.
              found the build thread for the Module MT-XE here:
              Just a New Year's Eve teaser- at least the last of the crossover parts (cross fingers) "hit the dock" yesterday, plus those for the TMM version. Well, here I am today doing all kinds of responsible stuff like cleaning and organizing, instead of working on speakers, so the devil in me decided I had to do a small

But there is no working link to the pdf...

I found The Zaph ZRT here:

Guess this is the option that might be relevant for me: http://zaphaudio.com/ZRT-2way-sealed.pdf
              I'm afraid that the enclosure might be a bit to big - I have to look more into it.

I do not think I will go for any of the the two trolsgravesen design. I think I will stick with a 2-way design.
              Last edited by theSven; 09 April 2023, 04:40 Sunday. Reason: Update htguide url
              -TEK

Comment

• 5th element
                Supreme Being Moderator
                • Sep 2009

Apart from the 6.5" ZRT the two I'd be interested in would be the ZD5 from Zaph or the Revelation Two – M4 WG from Goran on Audioexcite.
                What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
                5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
                Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• TEK
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

Originally posted by 5th element
                  Apart from the 6.5" ZRT the two I'd be interested in would be the ZD5 from Zaph or the Revelation Two – M4 WG from Goran on Audioexcite.
                  Is it anything in perticular that causes you to point out these designs?

I looked a bit into the ZD5 design. The scan-speak midwoofer is 200 usd a piece. The Vifa tweeter is 25 usd a piece.
                  I’m all for value-for-money, but often there are a relation between price and quality. Is the Vifa a good match to the scan-soeak or may it downgrade the performance so that it might be just as well to also go for a cheeper midbass that is more at the same price-point as the tweeter. No point in a kick-as midwoofer if you get tiered of listen because the tweeter is not up to the task.
                  -TEK

Comment

• Jonasz
                    • Nov 2004

The XT25 is an overachiever (ruler flat output and very low distortion above 2kHz) and a classic combo with the SS Revelator 5.5".

Comment

• Bear
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by TEK
                      I found The Zaph ZRT here:

Guess this is the option that might be relevant for me: http://zaphaudio.com/ZRT-2way-sealed.pdf
                      I'm afraid that the enclosure might be a bit to big - I have to look more into it.
                      Note that Zaph's cabinet is only 267mm deep. You can trade height for depth and maintain the same volume. If you keep the woofer and tweeter in relative position to the top and sides of the baffle, the changes to height shouldn't affect diffraction too much. Also, the ScanSpeak factory data would indicate a 16 - 17L cabinet, rather than a 20L cabinet. I think that there may be some flexibility with cabinet size and Qts without seriously compromising Zaph's crossover.

Comment

• TEK
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Bear
                        Note that Zaph's cabinet is only 267mm deep. You can trade height for depth and maintain the same volume. If you keep the woofer and tweeter in relative position to the top and sides of the baffle, the changes to height shouldn't affect diffraction too much. Also, the ScanSpeak factory data would indicate a 16 - 17L cabinet, rather than a 20L cabinet. I think that there may be some flexibility with cabinet size and Qts without seriously compromising Zaph's crossover.
                        That is an ecellent point!
                        It’s high on the list!
                        -TEK

Comment

• Bear
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by TEK
                          That is an ecellent point!
                          It’s high on the list!
                          And the crossovers and drivers can be bought fully assembled from Madisound.
                          ZRT 2-Way,  Zaph|Audio Revelator Tower - Parts Only - PairPrice shown is for a PAIR Madisound and Zaph Audio are pleased to bring you the Zaph Revelator Tower. The ZRT is raising the bar for easy to build high-end speaker kits. Once again, we would like to thank John Krutke for his design work and overall contribution to DIY speaker building. Full documentation of this design can be found on Zaph Audio. The ZRT is an extremely versatile premium speaker kit utilizing Scan-Speak Revelator drivers. The 2-Way configuration is designed for ported use in the Madisound MD38T tower cabinet. In addition to a ported MD38T, the ZRT 2-Way is also suitable for a sealed alignment in the Madisound MD20 cabinet. The tweeter used is the Scan-Speak “AirCirc” D3004/6600. This is the latest and most advanced release from the famous Revelator tweeter line. The mid/bass driver is the Scan-Speak 18W/8531G. This 7” slit paper cone driver is widely considered one of the best mid/bass units in existence. The combination of these drivers and Zaph’s design expertise has yielded a world-class speaker system. Two crossover options are available for the ZRT 2-Way Kit. Both options use Mundorf metal oxide resistors for the tweeter, air core inductors in parallel tweeter circuits and a XPP polypropylene capacitor in the parallel woofer circuit. The woofer and tweeter crossovers come assembled, with each mounted on their own Matrix and 149B circuit boards. This allows for bi-amp/bi-wiring if desired, and flexibility in cabinet placement. The standard crossover uses: ClarityCap CSA capacitors in series tweeter circuit, Solen Fast Cap in parallel tweeter circuit, and Solen Perfect Lay 14awg inductor in series woofer circuit. Note: Picture shows Sledgehammer Steel laminate inductor which is currently unavailable.  The upgraded crossover uses: ClarityCap CSA capacitors in series tweeter circuit, Solen Fast Cap in parallel tweeter circuit, and Goertz Copper Foil 14 AWG or 12 AWG inductor in the series woofer circuit. [Please note the older-style SA capacitors are depicted in the picture] If there is a specific combination of premium parts (Madisound stock only) that you would like to use for this crossover, please contact us by email with that parts list for a quote. The crossover parts we use are a good choice in this application and provide excellent results, but we will of course accomodate to your own taste. A ZRT 2.5 Way version is also available with an additional 18W/8531G mid/bass driver. This configuration can be done in a sealed MD38T tower cabinet, or ported in your own larger cabinet. See Zaph Audio for more details. The ZRT 2-Way Kit includes: (2) D3004/6600 “AirCirc” Tweeters (2) 18W/8531G  7” Revelator Woofers (2) Assembled Crossovers - Standard   Optional ZRT 2-Way Accessories Package includes: (2) TD-CUPS Input Cups – 2 per pair High quality gold plated brass binding posts Accepts banana plugs, spades or raw wire Bi-wire/Bi-amp capable (2) 2FLARE 2” Precision Ports See vented tuning options - both flares with no center piece is recommended Promotes optimal air flow Reduces/eliminates port noise and chuffing (16') Supra Classic 1.6 Internal Wire – 15awg Tin Plated OFC Copper (8') Foam gasket tape for air tight seal of drivers (1) Goop for gluing foam sheets and ports (16) Quick Connects - for easy connection of speaker wire to drivers & input cup tabs Black Ox/Wax Mounting Hardware (22) Screw Size 8, 1" Phillips Pan Head, Black Ox & Wax Finish (8) Screw Size 6, 3/4" Phillips Oval Head, Black Ox & Wax Internal Dampening Materials (2) Open cell acoustic Foam Sheet 27" x 42" x 5/8" (2.5#) Acousta-Stuff complex fiber fill You may select this accessories package along with kit purchase, or buy your parts individually. Kit discount only applies to this accessories package, not individual parts purchases. Kit pricing reflects a 10% discount to all drivers and accessories. Want custom cabinets built? Many of our cabinets can be custom built be Lee Taylor & Co of Philmont NY.  Please follow this link to Lee's website and discuss veneer options and pricing.  Lee can also put your speakers togeter for an additional fee. http://www.taylorspeakers.com/html/custom__kits.html

Comment

• Wayne1
                            • Dec 2016

There is also Tony Gee's Otello

Comment

• Jonasz
                              • Nov 2004

Not a Revelator but a Revolution. Satori 5", SBA beryllium tweeter and xo by Jeff Bagby. Looks like a contender in the $1k mold.

Comment

• ergo
                                • Mar 2005

For Modula MT mkII I copied the original pdf here

I've done two iterations of it
                                DIY (Do it yourself): Cabinetry, speakers, subwoofers, crossovers, measurements. Jon and Thomas have probably designed and built as many speakers as any non-professionals. Who are we kidding? They are pros, they just don't do it for a living. This has got to be one of the most advanced places on the net to talk speaker building, period.

DIY (Do it yourself): Cabinetry, speakers, subwoofers, crossovers, measurements. Jon and Thomas have probably designed and built as many speakers as any non-professionals. Who are we kidding? They are pros, they just don't do it for a living. This has got to be one of the most advanced places on the net to talk speaker building, period.

For this last one we got the MCM waveguide 3D scanned, so I do have that profile.... Though I just posted some measurements of Bliesma tweeter+WG today to respective topic. So If I'd redo those today I might shoot for a Bliesma Alu dome in a WG instead. The cost is higher though.

One other project from Jeff Bagby that seems interesting is the Kairos
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by theSven; 09 April 2023, 04:42 Sunday. Reason: Update htguide url

Comment

• TEK
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Oct 2002

Thanks for a lot of input and interesting designs.
                                  I feel that I want to stay with the original idea about using a revelator driver. That limits the options a bit.
                                  And if I continue that thought and also say that Inwants to look into a 6.5" driver - that limits the choises a lot more, and the short list is:
                                  Scan-speak rediscovery kit
                                  https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...covery-ii-kit/
                                  Cost 750 usd

Zap Audio ZRT

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...rts-only-pair/
                                  Cost 1000usd

I think I’m leaning towards the zrt...
                                  I have to check out the size before moving on - I think I will build a paper prototype to get a hold on the size of the speaker in the room
                                  -TEK

Comment

• 5th element
                                    Supreme Being Moderator
                                    • Sep 2009

The XT25, as Jonasz said above, is a very good tweeter. The only thing it cannot do is low xover points. Used within its limitations however and it sounds sublime.

The reason for the audioexcite design is for the waveguide. I love the way waveguide designs sound, they integrate well into most rooms and are less sensitive to being listened to off axis.

The Zaph design primarily because he always addresses baffle-step correctly and does NOT use crossover points that are too high. 2kHz is the absolute maximum that I would go with a 6.5" driver and 2.5kHz the maximum for a 5" driver. Most cross too high and the offaxis suffers as a result.

The SB Revolution Mini Be looks awesome, although it would be nice to see a set of measurements.
                                    What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!

Comment

• TEK
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Oct 2002

Hmm, that’s interesting. A waveguide design seems like a good option for my daughter as it is quite likely that the speakers will not have an optimal room placement...
                                      At the same time ZaphAudio ZRT 2-Way have been evaluated to have an accaptable size, and looks very interesting. It does however not have a waveguide.
                                      Her room is approximate 12m2 - 13m2. Placement will be an issue, so smaller is better, but she says that she prefer sound quality before smaller size.

So, what would you folks do? Do you think it is better to go with ZRT with - presumable - better bass, or a smaller waveguide design with less bass?
                                      Right now I’m thinking that a Waveguide design with the 6.5" revelator driver would be the ideal solution...

Hmm, it’s kind-of an ironi that the Modula MT designs are just this, a 2-way waveguide design with a 6.5"-7" driver...
                                      But I’m still a bit set on using the revelator driver...:roll:
                                      Maybe there should be a Modula MT Revelator edition Ergo...?
                                      Last edited by TEK; 05 January 2019, 12:52 Saturday.
                                      -TEK

Comment

• ergo
                                        • Mar 2005

Modula MT-s with Revelators would be doable for sure. The version we did for my friend used a T29CF001 tweeter instead of the original Scanspeak(Peerless). That was a small improvement but seems to have been discontinued meanwhile. Would have to think a bit what could be a good candidate... or then go with the proven original one.

Now with 'in house' 3D printing ability it would be much easier to get the waveguide done. With the D2608/9130 and MCM waveguide I milled into both the tweeter front panel and back of waveguide to make them fit nice. Now I can create a drawing in F360 and just print out a suitable adapter piece with relatively much less effort.

So if you figure out a max size and a favorite Revelator woofer I could sure help make this happen. Would be kinda cool to make Modula MT mkIII - I think thats what it would be

PS. I did a quick trial with milling a waveguide as well - basically worked ok. So even doing a wood or plywood front panel with "embedded waveguide" is an option if your daughter likes that type of look. There are some such projects done around the web.

Comment

• TEK
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Oct 2002

Regarding the waveguide I have a 3D-printer (Preusa 3, MK3), so I should be able to print a quite large waveguide if needed.
                                          My idea, if going with a waveguide design, would be to print it, glue (or screw) it to the wood baffel and then make a seemless transition between the wood and the printed part. After that base coat it (maybee add a layer of epoxy before that) and spray paint the whole baffel so that the waveguide seems to be a integrated part of the baffel.
                                          The tweeter will then be mounted from the rear.

When it comes to the woofer I would guess that there are three candidates if we go in this direction.
                                          18W/4531G00

18W/4531G01

18W/8531G00 (8ohm, this is the one used in the zaph zrt)

The whole revelator series is available here: https://www.scan-speak.dk/product-fa...fam-revelator/

When it comes to size I think that the smaller we could keep it the better it would be, so it’s a tradeoff.
                                          I guess that there is some point where going smaller would drastical affect the bass response, and we should be a bit above that point.
                                          I guess that it is also a question if it should be a closed box or bass reflex design.
                                          I think we should start out saying that the max size is 23cm x 45cm x 35cm (w/h/d), and then adjust when we know what the best tradeoff between size and quality is.
                                          -TEK

Comment

• ergo
                                            • Mar 2005

I assume you more or less know the intended placement already too? Probably placed close to back wall? Whats the size of her room?

Original Modula MT has the port to back. I used these on stands with front panel about 55cm from back wall in family room. There the bass response was ok, but depending on track one could sometimes wish for more. I had miniDSP Dirac DSP attached most of time and that helped to push the low end a bit.

Now after finishing Ardents my kid has those speakers in his room which is approx 3m*5m. Speakers are on the long wall pushed quite close to back wall. In that scenario they have a lot of bass. Sometimes perhaps too much. So if your placement would be similar then putting the port to front or maybe even making them sealed is ok as it would result in better balance.

Comment

• TEK
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Oct 2002

Her room is approx 12-14 m2, 2.4m from floor to roof (norwegian standard).
                                              Placement is expected to vary, but it will likely be close to wall anyway. Freedom of placement is the main reason to go for a waveguide design instead of for example the ZRT.
                                              So I think that either a front port or perhaps a closed box construction is the way to go.
                                              If we look at the revelation two wg design

It seems to adress a lot of these issues, so I guess what we are talking about here is quite simular.
                                              Gøran seems to think that the same crossover can be used and that the builder may adjust the wanted attributes by selecting port size and port placement.
                                              I would expect that the bigger size element and volume would allow us to go for a closed box design and still keep more of the bass response.
                                              There is also a option to include a front port that may be closed off (I know b&w have supported this option on their designs).
                                              I’m not sure what Gøran mean by «smaller room». The revelation design might for sure be a possible option for the room she has now (and probably will have when she start studing if she gets a small study room, those are typically 12-14m2) if we conclude that a mkIII is hard to get right or must be very large.
                                              Thinking about it, I wonder if the right way to go would be to push the size as mutch down as possible and go with a front ported design. But I’m a bit on the fence here. My experience is that closed box design typically resulta in a «tighter» bass experience. I guess it’s all about finding the right tradeoffs.

Currently I’m are trading size (going from 5" to 6.5" bass) for quality.
                                              To be able to select the right solution from this point I think the question would be where the tradeoff are.
                                              I guess I need to model the woofer in different size boxes and with or without front port, as well as have some idea about how mutch gain you typically will get in a 12-14m2 big room.
                                              But this is the area where I do not have the nessesarly knowhow
                                              Doing the same simulation for the wg4 design would also give some input on how that design would perform compared to a Modula MkIII design. Here Gjøran has already supplied quite a number of measurements. So maybe the key question is the room gain.
                                              -TEK

Comment

• ergo
                                                • Mar 2005

Revelator 6'' vs 5'' options

Hi TEK,

I put some Revelators into WinISD for comparison. The most interesting option seems to be a 15W/8530K01. Putting that one in 18L ported box achieves a very good low end extension. The max SPL is a bit more limited of course compared to 18'' options, but for a room of this size I would think this is quite ok. Also these SPL curves are by adjusting the cone excursion to 6.5mm while the max is 9mm for 15W units and 11mm for 18W units. So there would be some reserve still to crank it louder with some distortion increase.

15W/8530K01 does relatively well also in sealed box... I'd need to port these curves to LspCAD to analyze the room impact, but not today. Maybe the closed box would prove to be a good player too.

I shared these WinISD project files here. If you install WinISD 0.7 you could play around with comparing those options

Click image for larger version

Name:	Revelator.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	863905Click image for larger version

Name:	Revelator_excursion.jpg
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	863906

PS. It appears Troels has done a design with these also but long time ago here

Comment

• TEK
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Oct 2002

Thanks Ergo, that's great. Installing WinISD as we speak and will look into this a bit.
                                                  All the drivers in question is approximate the same price point, so cost is not an issue in the selection. I must admit that my first tought about going with 15W in a 19l box is that the tiny driver will look strange in that box ;-)

Maybe you or some of the others may explain this to me.
                                                  If we look at the 18W in a 15l closed box it has a max spl around 102db. It's -3db is already around 80hz and -6db (96db) around 55hz.
                                                  Is it possible to use the crossover to boost the lower end (and then of course at the same time lower the sensitivity of the speaker) to get a flatter respons? Doing so would give you the same sensitivity as with the 15W, almost the same falloff curve but in a closed design and a smaller box.
                                                  Is that like
                                                  a) yeah -sure, that's a good idea
                                                  or
                                                  b) hell no, that will degrate the whole sonic design of the speaker and is a really bad idea

As mentioned before, I do not know anything about crossover design - I just build tested and proven design that other has created...
                                                  -TEK

Comment

• TEK
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Oct 2002

OK, I have been playing around a bit with WinISD. I have also been checking a bit around. One of the things I find is that it is not many that is using the 18W/4531 in small speakers...
                                                    That normally is a hint about it not beeing to good an idea.
                                                    I also came across this thread that is discussing the volume required for the 18W/4531: http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...l=1#post479537
                                                    It seems that several has tested this driver - and that the result seems to be that it does not peform to good in a smaller box.
                                                    It's a bit interesting to see that jkrutke has commented. The signatur indicates that he is the one behind zaph-audio. Given he is the designer for the ZRT this quote is interesting,
                                                    what kind of real data or measurements would it take to prove to you that 22 liters vented is too small for a 18W/8531G00? Chances are I have that data and could post it here.
                                                    ref. post 19 in the previous referred thread.

So, what I take from this is that the 18W8531GOO needs a larger cabinet (likely 38l) for a vented design.
                                                    But then Zap has this on the site for the ZRT:
                                                    The sealed bass extension of the 18W8531 woofer is surprisingly satisfying in 19 liters
                                                    So, it seems to be working well in a relative small sealed design (19L) but not in a small vented design.
                                                    If I take this into consideration my real-life options now seems to be more in this direction:
                                                    1) Go for the W18 driver in a closed design
                                                    2) Go for the W15 driver in a vented design
                                                    For 2) there are several designs out there, both with and without waveguides.
                                                    For 1) there is no know designs with waveguide, so if that is to happend it will have to be a Modula MkIII design...

So, I guess the real question is if we expect a W18 driver in a closed cabinet to give a good result (better than a W15 in a ported cabinet).
                                                    So maybe focusing on pros and cons of a W18 in a sealed box vs. W15 in an open box is what has to be done to come to a conclution!
                                                    Last edited by TEK; 06 January 2019, 17:46 Sunday. Reason: I think I mixed conclutions between 19l sealed and vented cabinets. It seems like small closed is OK, but not small wented...
                                                    -TEK

Comment

• sdl2112
                                                      • Mar 2006

Here's another option that's a little more challenging. Also with different tweeter options. Good information as always from Troels. It can be turned either way and can be updated to 3-way later if desired.

Here's another unfortunately unavailable I believe but great workmanship and shows what the 15W looks like in a larger cabinet.

Comment

• ergo
                                                        • Mar 2005

TEK, this is a simulation of 18W 4531G00 15L closed box placed in a room. Not bad at all with -6dB point at approx 50Hz.

You see from image what type of data I need to enter. If you have ideas for box size and how far it is from side wall / back wall then I could run few more such scenarios. (the "baffle location" is the bottom left corner of the baffle)

Name:	18W 4531 closed 15L in room.jpg
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	863907

Comment

• TEK
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Oct 2002

Nice ergo!
                                                          Her current room is 3.5m x 3.5m.
                                                          The most likely placement in the room is that the front baffel is 40cm from the back wall (on a bench 40cm wide) and 100cm from the side wall. Another possible option is that they will be placed on stands, and then probably 50-80cm from the back wall.

When looking at the 18W4531G00 in this configuration it becomes interesting to evaluate the pros vs a 15W driver in a vented design (possible with the option to plug the vent) of the same cabinet size. As we now seems to be down to almost the same cabinet size this becomes an interesting question I think...
                                                          -TEK

Comment

• 5th element
                                                            Supreme Being Moderator
                                                            • Sep 2009

One thing to keep in mind about a sealed configuration is that it automatically provides a layer of protection from woofer over-excursion. I don't know what your daughters listening habits are like but this might be worth some consideration?

Comment

• TEK
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Oct 2002

Thanks 5th element.

After some evaluation of different measurements and some thinking avout the needs I have concluded that a small form-factor is wanted, and in a small box the revelator 18W drivers does not seem to have mutch advantages compared to the 15W drivers.
                                                              So, I’m turning my head towards one of the 15W designs on my list in post #4...
                                                              -TEK

Comment

• TEK
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Oct 2002

After some more consideration (look at post #4 for details) I have a short list of 3 different design.

Revelation Two – M4 WG

Cost 1000 usd
                                                                The waveguide design is expected to make the listening position less critical, a good thing

Revelator 4R

Cost 700 Euro
                                                                Kid available, very good description

Revelation Two MKII

Cost 1200 usd
                                                                Maybe out, a bit costy

Does anyone know anyhning about these design, their designeres or experience from other that have buildt them?
                                                                When I say designers, there are only two.
                                                                Göran for audioexcite
                                                                Troels for troelsgavesen
                                                                Both of these have designed a huge amount of speakers, so there should be no lack of experience.
                                                                So maybe looking at the designer is not a good idea, as it would go more into their general design philosophy - and that may or may not apply to the exact speakers in question here.

So maybe it will be better to discuss/debate the tree design above based on selection of drivers, crossover point and crossover design.

I think that Revelation Two – M4 WG has a pre due to the use of a waveguide, something that based on 5th elements statement should make the listening position less critical. Having a speaker that sounds good from many different listening positions is more important for me than one that performs it's best at one exact position.

Evaluation criterias:
                                                                - Suited for a 12m3 room
                                                                - Small box
                                                                - Distant from back wall - should be possible to place the speaker close to back wall (not on wall, but quite close)
                                                                - Wide sweet-spot
                                                                - Tweeter-midbass integration, overall tonality - preferable not to critical on source and suited for a wide range of music
                                                                - Bass respons (in the given room-size)
                                                                Last edited by TEK; 11 January 2019, 03:47 Friday.
                                                                -TEK

Comment

• ergo
                                                                  • Mar 2005

From these I would personally go with
                                                                  Revelation Two – M4 WG

Have not built it, but I too believe in benefit the WG brings in 2way compact design. Measured responses look good and the WG seems to mate quite well to the tweeter. There have been smoother integrations on some of augepro-s trials, but it's hard to say if these 2..3dB relative narrow dimples or peaks are audible. Overall comparison with a 'regular' tweeter is for sure sound way more different. I also like the phase response plot in that design - the tweeter and woofer phase track in very wide range which is plus and shows that the the acoustic centers of the midwoofer and tweeter+WG are quite optimal. Also this design shows most data about the off axis and power response behavior while other two are more of the 'narrow listening window' measurement based designs (or at least that is what is presented).

Comment

• TEK
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Oct 2002

Hmm, all that evaluation and then the real-world hit...
                                                                    Found a brand new set of drivers (and possible crossover-parts) for the ZRT. That deal was too good to turn down, so now it will most likely be the ZRT in a small (15-19liter) closed box...

Until the point when these popped up for sale, I was set on following ergos advice.
                                                                    -TEK

Comment

• Bear
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by TEK
                                                                      Hmm, all that evaluation and then the real-world hit...
                                                                      Found a brand new set of drivers (and possible crossover-parts) for the ZRT. That deal was too good to turn down, so now it will most likely be the ZRT in a small (15-19liter) closed box...

Until the point when these popped up for sale, I was set on following ergos advice.
                                                                      Pesky real world influences!!!
                                                                      Last edited by Bear; 19 January 2019, 14:26 Saturday.

Comment

• TEK
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Oct 2002

The parts have been laying around awaiting for something to happend, but as other projects has been prioritized before this one - not mutch has happend.
                                                                        However, not it's time to revisit this one.

After some dialog with my daugheter we have agreed upon a design that should give me some challanges to execute - hope I'm up for it

As you might recall, due to a lot of fact - real life insident beeing a major player - the design I'm going with is a quite small closed box Zaph ZRT 2-way design.
                                                                        Quite like this one, but a little bit smaller: http://zaphaudio.com/ZRT-2way-sealed.pdf
                                                                        All about the ZRT design: http://zaphaudio.com/ZRT.html

This is our current sketcup model of the to-be speaker:

Name:	HT til Susanne (1).jpg
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	864689

Name:	HT til Susanne (2).jpg
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	864690

Name:	HT til Susanne (3).jpg
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	864696

The purple part will be metallic purple and the gray will be metallic gray.
                                                                        The plan is to spray paint the part separated - and then mount them togheter afterwards.

If anyone has any good ideas about how to mount the baffel to the box - after it has been painted - please share.
                                                                        Right now I'm not to sure about that. I did do something like this one time before - that time I glued it on, but I did get some bad experiences on adding pressure after the paint job (I got marks in the paint).

Drive placement may not be accurate on my drawings. I will follow the original drawing for placment of the tweeter according to the top of the cabinet as well as the distance between the tweeter and the mid-bass.

Name:	HT til Susanne (4).jpg
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	864697
                                                                        Last edited by TEK; 30 December 2019, 16:18 Monday.
                                                                        -TEK

Comment

• TEK
                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                          • Oct 2002
                                                                          • 1670

Test fitting the box after figuring out the angels.
                                                                          Now to make top and bottoms as well as inner walls.

Name:	802EA97B-1929-49C5-90B2-9A8B55512699.jpg
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	864698
                                                                          -TEK

Comment

• ergo
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Mar 2005
                                                                            • 676

Nice design.

I used threaded rods cut to right length and then put the washers and nuts on through the woofer opening and tightened with the small wrench. But hexagon headed bolts might be even better into the wood nuts in front panel. If lengths are calculated right there should be no problem

Your front panels seems thinner though, so maybe not the best strategy here.
                                                                            Last edited by theSven; 09 April 2023, 04:43 Sunday. Reason: Update htguide url

Comment

• TEK
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • Oct 2002
                                                                              • 1670

#39
                                                                              Thanks for the advice ergo.
                                                                              Not sure what I will make the baffel plate from yet - if it’s thick enough I will probably go with your suggestion.
                                                                              I think I have some insets I may use as well, maybe some gasket material as well.
                                                                              -TEK

Comment

• TEK
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • Oct 2002
                                                                                • 1670

#40
                                                                                Hmm, ok - have some parts, and after a lot of adjusting I think they go together resonable well.
                                                                                Now, let se if it’s possible to glue this together 8O

Name:	21DC9810-E98A-4F0B-B7CE-2E0C7CD59AF7.jpg
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	864704
                                                                                -TEK

Comment

• TEK
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • Oct 2002
                                                                                  • 1670

#41
                                                                                  And now we wait...

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	864705
                                                                                  -TEK

Comment

• TEK
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • Oct 2002
                                                                                    • 1670

#42
                                                                                    While I’m waiting for the glue to harden, I find myself wondering if I actually should paint these, or if I might just try to vinyl wrap them, with something like this:
                                                                                    https://vvividshop.com/collections/automotive-films/products/2019-vvivid-nightshade-purple?variant=13069544194101

Name:	vvivid_plus_nightshade_purple_a181c32d-ba26-4921-8bea-52d60dc62e49_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1606405671.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	382.0 KB
ID:	932952

Anyone tried to vinyl wrap speakers?
                                                                                    As you may vinyl wrap a whole car, I suspect that it should be quite easy to do the same with a speaker?
                                                                                    Last edited by theSven; 09 April 2023, 04:44 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                                    -TEK

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                                      • Nov 2004
                                                                                      • 1531

#43
                                                                                      Originally posted by TEK
                                                                                      While I’m waiting for the glue to harden, I find myself wondering if I actually should paint these, or if I might just try to vinyl wrap them, with something like this:

Anyone tried to vinyl wrap speakers?
                                                                                      As you may vinyl wrap a whole car, I suspect that it should be quite easy to do the same with a speaker?
                                                                                      I am reminded of the concept that pleasant suppositions may lead one well astray and into the woods...

But not having experience with vinyl wrapping, I am not qualified to offer opinions, only moral support.

If you wish to learn a new skill (vinyl wrapping) then by all means proceed...

Your local search engines in this planetary system may be of use researching the learning curve...
                                                                                      DFAL
                                                                                      Dark Force Acoustic Labs

A wholly owned subsidiary of Palpatine Heavy Industries

Comment

• TEK
                                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                                        • Oct 2002
                                                                                        • 1670

#44
                                                                                        We’ll see where these ideas bring me. Most likely I will go the painting route.

The outer front baffels will ve made from 18mm good quality plywood, with chamfered edges to make it look floating (as well as thinner).
                                                                                        No decition on how to fasten the baffel yet. I’m wondering about adding a hardwood backing behind the mdf and maybe screw the front baffel on by just using long screws for the elements, so that the elements screws both fasten the elements as well as the outer baffel.Click image for larger version

Name:	BB32A65C-EE6A-407A-B1A0-7AF3DA7C03A2.jpg
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	864709
                                                                                        -TEK

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                                                                          Moderator
                                                                                          • Dec 2006
                                                                                          • 1890

#45
                                                                                          That might be cool ..... I'm thinking you might have to paint the cabinets first just to seal everything up for the wrap to stick. Though as with ET, no experience in the process.
                                                                                          Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

WEBSITE: http://www.smjaudio.com/

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"