X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hellcommute
    • May 2017

Statement 2s in reference room project

Hi all

I registered here to share my results with existing builders and future builders. The Statement 2s are great. Thanks to Jim and Curt for making this design available. Excellent results.

My build is fairly close to the build plan. The only deviations were adding an additional 3/4" lamination to the lower window brace (total thickness 1 1/4") and using 2" Knauf foil backed insulation (with the foil side glued to the cabinet side and back walls) instead of acoustic foam. The sides of the cabinet are covered in laminations of Russian Baltic Birch plywood. The finished weight of these was just over 170lbs each. I brought leads from each driver out of a hole drilled in the bottom of the cabinet and built cigar box style crossover boxes which match the towers overall design. I have to give a shout out to Deewan and BostonMurf. Good documentation guys.

I will post my thoughts followed by some pics. I should start off by saying I am an incredibly picky listener. My room was designed and built from scratch for acoustics. It is a decoupled and isolated room that is treated with absorption and Deep diffusion. The noise floor is incredibly low. Frequency changes of 1db in room are detectable. The Statement 2s (and all my gear) are calibrated manually using a measurement system. This is a serious room with a low tolerance for compromise. The Statement 2s fit right in. My intention is to show you just how serious these speakers are. They do not disappoint.

Room render before building Statements

Image not available

Overhead plan of room layout before the Statement 2 LCRs were built.

Image not available

The best way to describe the changes may be to compare it to the prior towers. They were Mordaunt Short Mezzo 6s. I was expecting a massive change moving to the new super towers, but all the improvements, across the board, were incremental. This is not to say the Statements disappointed (far from it). They just did everything a little better across the board once the bass was properly calibrated for my room.

The most interesting change to note is how they interact with the room. The open back midranges resulted in changing my room treatments slightly. SBIR traps located directly behind the old towers had to be removed. With them installed the midrange energy was decreased to a point where the upper bass was perceived as heavy. Once removed the midrange balance improved considerably. I would suspect removing all surrounding absorbtion would further improve overall balance and spaciousness at the expense of clarity. Based on this experience I would suggest NOT treating immediate areas behind Statement towers with broadband absorption. It will cause a frequency imbalance not intended by the designer's crossover network. If nearby, face your corner panels with poly or foil facing out to reject mid to high frequency absorption.

The overall balance of the new towers is a 7db tilt up towards the bass region roughly hinged on 250hz. The measured -3db point in room was 18hz without sub assist. These are true full range'rs. Above 250hz the response is very flat with a couple db reduction per octave above 4khz until almost 20khz. This is a marked difference from the old towers. They did not exhibit much bass energy below 40hz and rolled off sharply after 12khz. The new towers exhibit more "air" and extended decay or sustain of cymbals, strings etc. They also handle low frequencies in music without the aid of a subwoofer and sound extremely tight and natural when doing so. Bass is enveloping and has some tactile feeling at low to upper bass frequencies when pushed. This is an improvement for music when compared to the old towers/sub combo. There is also a stronger definition of tones within the overall bass note. Further textured bass.

Here is a quick response trace (green) I was using as a baseline to check seating response variations. The towers are basically +/-3 db above the modal region in room.

Image not available

However, in my setup the Statement 2 bass balance was initially a tad hot for my taste for music. These towers should be placed with open space beside them. In my near side wall configuration they bloom when pushed hard and the low frequency gain creates a noticable imbalance at higher volumes. When sustained or patterned bass notes are present, they lose a little definition and balance when compared to a calibrated subwoofer setup. I was able to manually EQ the upper bass down and ended up crossing them over to subs below 60hz for music use. For home theater use they are ran full range and it sounds fantastic. Subs are present for LFE only. For others with a measurement setup or advanced experience with room mode control, multiple subs are in your stable anyway. The statements strong upper bass blends very well into my sealed sub units.

I was expecting the new towers to be a "thor's hammer" experience when it comes to their presentation. Not so. They are incredibly tight and precise sounding over most of their range without being overbearing. The exception is on recordings with sustained droning bass. Peter Gabriel's "blood of eden" begins with an enveloping, but heavy and sustained bassline. It was this track that highlighted the need to remove the SBIR traps to improve the balance of midrange to upper bass energy. You have to be careful about these towers' surroundings. They don't need help to make bass.

The new towers have no volume limit, at least with my amplifier. It can now play painfully loud without sounding strained. The old towers would start to exhibit a tonal shift and the soundstage would collapse when pushed really hard. These don't. I have to be mindful of this as I increase the volume to feel a bassline -which is now possible at upper bass frequencies. Fun.

The overall soundstage/spacial impression of these towers is comparable the the towers I moved from. The difference with the larger towers is images are larger, broader and have more perceived physical presence. They are slighly more tangible but never a "sound ball". The midrange to ribbon tweeter integration is fantastic, with about as much realism as you would want. It never sounds grainy or hyper real, as is the case when a bump is given to the presence region.

I would recommend the Statement 2s to anyone looking for a high return outcome on the investment in time and money. A fantastic design. I would build them again and given the chance would design a new room around their deployment.

Here are the speakers I moved from beside the Statement 2 tower.

Image not available

Here are the cabinets completed.

Image not available

Here are the triplets initially being installed behind my screen wall before room tuning.

Image not available
    Last edited by theSven; 05 July 2023, 16:22 Wednesday. Reason: Remove broken image links
  • Jim Holtz
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

What a great review! You have a beautiful system and your cabinetry work is superb! Fantastic job!

Thank you for all the kind remarks. Curt and I appreciate it! As always, it's Curt's expertise that makes them sound so good. He's a wizard!

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Holtz; 22 May 2017, 00:21 Monday.

Comment

• flamethrower1
      • May 2008

Nice work on the cabinets, they look really nice

Greg

Comment

• DML9
        • Apr 2017

Very nice. What is the finish on your Statements?

Comment

• Hellcommute
          • May 2017

Originally posted by DML9
          Very nice. What is the finish on your Statements?
          Baltic birch on sides stained with terracotta water based minwax then shellac. The rest is MDF primed and painted with tremclad high gloss black, then high glossclear. Sanded to 1500 grit. Then cut and polished with meguiars componds.

Lot of sanding. And cursing. . They arent perfect.... If I could do it again I would skip the clear coat and polish out the high gloss black. The clear coat didnt dry glossy enough. Too humid.

Comment

• JoeAngelicchio
            • Oct 2006

Beautiful speakers!!

Comment

• Curt C
              • Feb 2005

-Kudos for a most comprehensive and salient review of the Statement II’s. You certainly have a discerning ear, as you revealed the outstanding characteristics of the design. All speakers have a character, and the Statements are no different. It’s hard for me to believe it’s been more than 10 years since Jim, Wayne, and I collaborated on this design. I certainly feel honored that so many have had the faith to build them and hopefully experienced the joy we felt when the design came to fruition.

By way of explanation, 10 years ago we never expected the design to become as popular as it has. It was designed to meet Jim’s proclivity in voicing. Anyone who knows Jim knows his love of bass. Consequently the Statements exhibit ‘ample’ bass. After all who doesn’t like a little extra bass…? If I may suggest a remedy for those who prefer a slightly less prominent first couple of octaves, one might consider additional polyfill stuffing behind the woofers. This may just provide the goldilocks sound those may be looking for. Easily done, and reversible, I recite my usual ‘stuff to taste’ suggestion here.

The open backs do provide almost as much acoustic energy out the rear as the front, and were voiced with reflective walls behind them. The advantage of course is minimal delayed reflected energy comes back out through the cone. Pinpoint imaging suffers somewhat due to the diffused sound field, but one can play with foam plugs in the tunnels to fine tune the response and imaging to taste.

I want to personally thank you all for flying Holtz Air, where our total number of takeoffs always equal our total number of crashes, -uh, landings.

C
              Curt's Speaker Design Works

Comment

• WLDock
                • Jun 2013

Very awesome review and great work on the finish. How did you get the Russian Baltic Birch plywood sides to look that good? Can you explain and/or do you have more pictures of the finish process? Thanks!

Comment

• Hellcommute
                  • May 2017

Click image for larger version

Name:	nIutfh.md.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	944197

I ripped sheets into 3/4 strips then glued and toe nailed with brads to the sides of the cabinets. Then sanded with a belt sander, an orbital, by hand and finally polished them out after shellac. A bit of a process, but worth it. Was fun.
                  Last edited by theSven; 05 July 2023, 16:23 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Hellcommute
                    • May 2017

After sanding with 50/80/120/160/220

Name:	nIuxBE.md.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	944198
                    Last edited by theSven; 05 July 2023, 16:23 Wednesday. Reason: Update iamge location

Comment

• Hellcommute
                      • May 2017

Name:	nIuMur.md.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	944199

Then wiping down with water and using a pre stain treatment to reduce blotching.
                      Last edited by theSven; 05 July 2023, 16:23 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Hellcommute
                        • May 2017

After a coat of stain they were masked before blacking out the top cap, front and back. Taking time to mask sharp lines is important. I reinforced the mask with duct tape over the green painters tape. Using green painters tape is best when applying solvent based spray paint.

Name:	nIuJJR.md.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	944200

Comment

• Hellcommute
                          • May 2017

Part of getting a finish to pop is getting a nice contrast between colors and textures. High gloss black mates well with deep wood grain.

Name:	nIuPAg.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	944201
                          Last edited by theSven; 05 July 2023, 16:24 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Hellcommute
                            • May 2017

Unmasked after 3 coats of high gloss tremclad. Wet Sanded with 400 grit between 2nd and 3rd. Wet sanded with 1000 after 3rd coat. Ready for clear (not amber!!) shellac. Shellac hides blotches and adds iniformity to stain I find. Lightly sand with 400 to knock stain grain down before shellac. Clean thoroughly before applying. Shellac seals the grain nicely.

Name:	nIuYjc.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	944202
                            Last edited by theSven; 05 July 2023, 16:25 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Hellcommute
                              • May 2017

And finally after two coats of shellac on the sides and then two coats of high gloss clear over everything. Wet sanded with 1500 everywhere lightly and cut and polished with a car buffer. Pretty neat to see them gloss up in this step.

Ready for drivers. They look nice in sunlight and deep and dramatic is the dimly lit theater. Cool stuff. Good luck with yours!!

Name:	nIusDN.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	944203
                              Last edited by theSven; 05 July 2023, 16:25 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• djkest
                                • Oct 2011

These are absolutely beautiful! Great job, love your idea for the finish.

Comment

• wkhanna
                                  Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Jan 2006

yeah....that worked....
                                  _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                                  ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"