• Jim Holtz
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Very Nice! 1337's are over achievers.

Jim

Comment

• kevinm
      • Jun 2013

Those look cool. Love how tall and skinny they are! How do they sound?

Comment

• bostonmurf
        • Jul 2014

Hi Kevin/Jim, sorry its been a while. hope your both doing well.
        your absolutely right Jim, the 1337's are exceptional. I honestly didn't think they would sound great, theres no crossover just straight wired to the amp. got the mdf from home depot for 15 bucks per speaker so i though what the hell, I'm only losing time if they sound bad. well, they totally over performed and sounded way way better than i thought they would. i did pair them with a cheap dayton audio 8in sub and set the av receiver sub crossover at 90 so the 1337s didn't have to work too hard on the bass. I'm still in shock how nice they sound. having said that you have to play the right music through them. any live performances, or piano, string or jazz sounds incredible. for 150 a pair you really can't go wrong. they'd make a great gift, took a morning to cut and assemble the cabinets finishing took longer as these were my experiment for finishing the statements. i wouldn't use them for Home theatre but for music, at 150 its a no brainer. theres nothing on the shelf thats going to sound that nice for that price imho

Comment

• mischmat
          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by kevinm
          Those look cool. Love how tall and skinny they are! How do they sound?
          Have to agree here.

I took my 1337's that aren't used from the Dynamic 4's and stuffed them in a cardboard box to test with based on a quarter wave design from another user, in full range. I was just testing and didn't have wood on hand, and was pleasantly surprised how well they sounded that I just left them as my mains till the NatP's are completed.

Comment

• bostonmurf
            • Jul 2014

thanks michmat, they were a lot of fun to make. now time to paint the statements!

Comment

• Philzeemon
              • Feb 2011

Hey Boston, nice looking build...I have been out of the loop for the last several months, fallen off the grid, I have...Look forward to being Back.

Comment

• bostonmurf
                • Jul 2014

Hi there Phil! yes its that time of year where we all head back into the garage and start new builds.
                "i love the smell of mdf in the morning"

Comment

• Philzeemon
                  • Feb 2011

Had housing issues, health issues, and life issues....I have several projects in various states of UNDONE....will hopefully begin some build threads sometime after the new year....Took advantage of the PE Black Friday Sale and just took delivery on 6 Tymphany NE-123w-08's for Statement-II variations(curved sides and top), and a Statement-II CC variation(curved top,bottom,sides)...all three of these are in the braces stage,...a lesson in Dados and Dowels!

Comment

• bostonmurf
                    • Jul 2014

sorry to hear that Phil, hope everythings getting better.
                    looking forward to see some pics of the S-II's! sounds like an exciting build!

Comment

• Philzeemon
                      • Feb 2011

BOSTON...
                      Looked into the Zigmahornets, did you use the original design? I found it at [URL="http://diyaudioprojects.com/Speakers/Fostex-FE103E-Zigmahornets/"]

Also, were your Statements Trio raw MDF all this time? What is the plan for a finish/refinish?

Comment

• bostonmurf
                        • Jul 2014

i changed it slightly, id have to check but i think made them either 5 x 5in or 5.5in x 5.5in boxes instead of the 4.75. i wanted to give the driver a little more room. i cut the mdf so the front was a solid panel and the seams were on the sides and back, took a bit of working out but it helps with the finish. i also used W4-1337-sd's instead of the Fostex FE103 driver.

yep, still in raw mdf unfortunately. i was going to veneer them in walnut but there going to be in a dedicated home theatre room in my basement so I'm going with a sprayed satin black finish so it doesn't reflect the projector screen too much.

Comment

• TEK
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Oct 2002

Satin black is a challenging but very nice finish. Looking forward to see the result!
                          -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• bostonmurf
                            • Jul 2014

thanks TEK, yes its going to be fun to get a nice finish but its going in a dark room/no windows for my projector so I'm hoping that'll help hide it if anything goes wrong in the spraying process

Comment

• sleeper0404
                              • Feb 2014

I'm in the process of building the statements cabinets. I was wondering if this foam should be okay for the mid tunnels. I'm ordering the 2 inch wedge foam for the rest from that site and saw they had open cell foam which I thought it'd be nice to get both from the same location due to shipping cost.

Check out the deal on Solid Charcoal Regular Foam at Foam Factory, Inc.

Click image for larger version

Name:	charcoal_Rlarge.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	933717

thanks in advance for any help!
                              Last edited by theSven; 30 April 2023, 17:24 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• jwanck11
                                • Jan 2016

That is exactly what I used. If I were doing it again, I would like to try 1/2" to allow for more transmission, while still mitigating waves bouncing around in the tunnels. Also, if you do not have an electric knife, I'd highly recommend one... cuts the foam like a hot knife through butter and makes angle cuts cleaner.

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"