X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Biff
    • Jul 2006

New cabinet progress

Time has become available lately for playing catch up - started a year or so back and now sawdust is being made for a change! They will have a pair of 225s front and back, Davis 16s, and LCY 108s. Drivers will be back mounted to the mahogany baffles - right now they are an extremely tight friction fit in their cutouts. Should the cutouts be eased a bit and silicone caulked for damping? Front and rear panels will receive bracing similar to sides, XOs will external. Cosmetically I am leaning towards a curly maple veneer for the boxes. I will trim the legs after I get some measurements to align t/m.

Any suggestions for the final stages is appreciated!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1114.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	870084
    These are the Rockler 3" roundovers

Name:	DSC_1119.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	870085
    Baffle detail

Name:	DSC_1126.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	870086
    Overall height will be about 39"

Name:	DSC_1131.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	870087
    Fronts and backs will get same bracing

Name:	DSC_1140.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	870088
    Still undecided about fastening baffles from inside or using antique brass connecting bolts set flush from the front.

Mids are in a tunnel T/L which will brace front to back and the 225s will be braced mag to mag also. Right now I can jump on these from any angle and they don't budge, but with all those slopes I slide off like a Japanese game show.
    Last edited by theSven; 06 May 2023, 22:33 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
  • BOBinGA
    • Mar 2009

Beautiful boxes !!
    Care to share the design details?

-Bob
    -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
    My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
    The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

Comment

• Biff
      • Jul 2006

I'm going to try to keep a good log from here on out and in a week or two should have these done except veneer and I'll be happy to share with anyone nutty enough to consider something similar then

Suffice to say that with all these compound angles there was a great deal of folding paper to split angles and becoming a good deal less follicularly endowed.

Comment

• dlneubec
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

Cool looking project, Biff! :T I hope to hear them someday. I'm thinking you want some removable panel so that you can get to the driver mounted from the rear, just in case, but perhaps the front baffle can be mounted from the back and the rear one kept removable from the outside.

The curly maple veneer sounds great to me.

Have you measured the drivers rear mounted?
        Dan N.

Comment

• TacoD
          Super Senior Member
          • Feb 2004

Very nice roundovers. Did you made this with a "normal" plunge router?

Comment

• Biff
            • Jul 2006

Good call Dan

Originally posted by dlneubec
            Cool looking project, Biff! :T I hope to hear them someday. I'm thinking you want some removable panel so that you can get to the driver mounted from the rear, just in case, but perhaps the front baffle can be mounted from the back and the rear one kept removable from the outside.

With the mid tunnel it would be about impossible to access any other way than from the front, so the idea of using some attractive connecting bolts mounted flush with the front and making that the removable panel is looking easiest - cosmetically I would prefer the back to be removable just to keep that mahogany right. But sealing the mid tunnel against the removable back has me concerned. The bottom panel will be removable so a couple of days ago it occured to me that if the top were removable I could access screws mounted inside top from there, and using draw downs at the corners and mid sides from the inside would give me the best of all setups - I could cover the top screws with mushroom buttons fairly unobtrusively I think. And, no, no measurements have been done so far. Why, are you volunteering? Actually, reading the results of your tests gave me the impetus to go ahead with this - those Davis drivers have a serious following but are SOOOO ugly I had to cover them and your projects made it seem doable.

Taco - the roundovers are from Rockler.com - the bear was figuring the compound angles and cutting, matching, etc., but in the end I think it's worth it. All the other cuts were made on a $39.95 table saw and a non-plunge base router.

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Biff
              I'm going to try to keep a good log from here on out and in a week or two should have these done except veneer and I'll be happy to share with anyone nutty enough to consider something similar then

Suffice to say that with all these compound angles there was a great deal of folding paper to split angles and becoming a good deal less follicularly endowed.

Yeah, I can imagine they might be a hair pulling exercise at some point- but the nice results you've got so far speak for themselves! :T
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
              Obi-Wan
              Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Dean100
                • Jan 2007

Taco - the roundovers are from Rockler.com - the bear was figuring the compound angles and cutting, matching, etc., but in the end I think it's worth it. All the other cuts were made on a $39.95 table saw and a non-plunge base router.
                Looking very nice! :T Just amazing what some of you guys can do with just a few inexpensive tools.

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Should the cutouts be eased a bit
                  Yes
                  and silicone caulked for damping?
                  No, that's a waste of time and money

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Biff
                    • Jul 2006

Oops

Originally posted by dlneubec

Didn't notice you meant the back woof - it will be mounted on the surface and with the bottom being removable it will be easy to get at = the brace between the woofs will be removable also.

Comment

• Biff
                      • Jul 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
                      YesNo, that's a waste of time and money
                      Thomas - value your opinion - why not have the drivers snug on the sides with the rear baffle? Essentially it would be like a rebate on the basket - just curious? Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"