X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

No because we didn't have the final arrangement. Why did it take you all day? I plan on doing it after I veneer so I don't have to do any tedious trimming. Just put blue painters tape over the baffle and cut them. I'm guessing thats about what you did. It should fit together rather well I just need to sand a little bit but other then that everything looks great.

Comment

• Jed
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Apr 2005

because I only had a little 1/4" router bit to grind all the recesses and there are a million holes to cut out. I also triple checked my measurements and locations for the holes because if you are off by a mm the holes will intersect. I didn't bother with painters tape- any little scratches on veneer will sand out and the painters tape creates a mess. I guess that is what you would have to do if you had a gloss black baffle.

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Yeah I have a 1/4" bit as well. Oh well I'm only doing the mains right now although I'm sure it will take a while. And this time around I'm definitely going to triple, quadrouple, and maybe even have my scientist friend come out and check them too as last time I messed up a bit

Comment

• vancityex
          • Aug 2008

any updates on this build....? best wishes and good luck....

Comment

• Dennis H
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Aug 2002

And this time around I'm definitely going to triple, quadrouple, and maybe even have my scientist friend come out and check them too as last time I messed up a bit
            I know scientists and I know carpenters. I'd have a carpenter check my work.

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

I meant in the crossovers

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Well I did some sanding and what not today to get the fitment right. I snapped this shot while dry fitting.

Image not available

There is a problem with the inner part of the top and bottom. They cut them a little wrong but I think I figured out a way to fix it. So hopefully sometime towards the end of the week or the weekend I'll have at least one cabinet put together and by the end of the weekend or Monday I'll have both together and be preparing for veneer.
                Last edited by theSven; 26 June 2023, 23:28 Monday. Reason: Remove broken image link

Comment

• Johnloudb
                  Super Senior Member
                  • May 2007

Looks great! They look like a good sized speaker. Be interesting to see how those turn out. I'm sure they'll look great, but I'd never try to build curved boxes myself. Basically, if someone doesn't hand me a box, I don't build speakers.
                  John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

It's really not that hard. Especially the way I went.

Comment

• augerpro
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Aug 2006

Good looking cabinet! What kind of finish are you going to use?
                      ~Brandon 8O
                      Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
                      Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
                      DriverVault
                      Soma Sonus

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

I have bamboo veneer but I'm not sure if its going to be blue or something else I have Blue trans-tint dye that I'm going to experiment with on some scraps but its a possibility.

Comment

• Hdale85
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2006

I did another dry fit and stood them upright to try and figure out some issues and then set them next to my TV to get a feel for size. Of course they will sit at least 1" higher then this as there are spikes. They do look rather large But I still like them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010457.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	303.6 KB
ID:	943146

Name:	P1010458.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	298.4 KB
ID:	943147

Name:	P1010460.webp
Views:	66
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	943148

Oh yeah that's a 50" TV on a somewhat low stand. The TV is at a comfortable eye level on my couch.
                          Last edited by theSven; 26 June 2023, 23:30 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• vancityex
                            • Aug 2008

wow!!!!.... man those are wicked ....so what drivers are you going to put inside them... and do you plan to build a matching center ...maybe surrounds or 5.1 or 7.1(based on the same theme)....this is one helluva project/idea you have initiated here ..good luck and best wishes man...

Comment

• vancityex
                              • Aug 2008

hi just one request did i get a glimpse of the materials to go on the curved side sitting by the side of the drill ..... pls elaborate and if you could document with pictures the secret of putting the curves on the side of these boxes...as i being a nubie didn't get it in the previous posts when you talk of getting some slits in the mdf board to get the curved sides( from a nubie's point of view it seems easy to use bendable ply or use multiple sheets of really thin plywood or mdf sheets) but you seem to know what you are doing and results look gr8 so that is why I want you to go slow and document the progress and let the secret out....thanks

Comment

• Hdale85
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2006

What I'm doing is taking a single sheet of 3/4" MDF and cut a lot of kerfs in it long ways to make it more flexible. Then I use a ratcheting strap with lots of glue to bend it to the sides of the cabinet. The drivers are RS180's for the woofers Tangband W4-1337SA's for the midranges and Vifa XT25 tweeters and it will be an MTMWWWW configuration. There is matching surrounds and a center that will eventually get built. These are all Jed's designs. The center is a WWMTMWW and the surrounds will be a TMW I believe. The center and surrounds won't be curved though.

Comment

• Brian Walter
                                  • Sep 2005

Looking Good Dougie, Make sure you sand the outside of the cabinets to get the kinks out before you veneer them. I'd hate to have you go through all this work to find that the flat spots between the kerfs show up. When I build my center channel I put probably twice as many kerf slots in just to make sure I had a smooth outside curve.

When did you change to using RS180's for the woofers? I thought you were using HiVi's or something like that? Keep up the good work and keep us posted on the progress.

Brian Walter

Comment

• Hdale85
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Jan 2006

It shouldn't make any flat spots there are quite a bit of kerfs and it doesn't go that far through? We'll see I suppose. My failsafe is that if something doesn't work out I'll build the square cabinets haha :B.

Comment

• Brian Walter
                                      • Sep 2005

Well, just be sure to check before you veneer the cabinets. MDF is very easy to sand, to you are probably only talking about 5 - 10 minutes of sanding per side to remove any high points if they do exist.

Brian Walter

Comment

• Hdale85
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Jan 2006

Yes I know all about sanding this crap.... Luckily the new random orbital sander I have seems to have a pretty darn good dust collection system.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Jan 2006

Well I finally started putting these together. I've almost got one cabinet completed.

Image not available

Name:	P1010489.webp
Views:	64
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	943149

Name:	P1010490.webp
Views:	67
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	943150

Name:	P1010492.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	943151

Of course the hard part is going to be the sides. I had to battle with some of the MDF splitting as well but got it worked out. Feels pretty darn solid now.
                                          Last edited by theSven; 26 June 2023, 23:32 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• vancityex
                                            • Aug 2008

so any progress did you get the sides done any listening impressions thank....

Comment

• Hdale85
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Jan 2006

Name:	P1010500.webp
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	943152

Name:	P1010501.webp
Views:	68
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	943153

Name:	P1010502.webp
Views:	60
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	943154

Name:	P1010497.webp
Views:	65
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	943155

Name:	P1010496.webp
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	943156

Name:	P1010498.webp
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	943157

Name:	P1010499.webp
Views:	61
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	943158

This is where they sit right now. Hopefully either today or sometime this weekend the wood for the sides will be bought. The side panels I had made didn't end up working out. They started splitting and what not. So I'm going to use multiple layers of 1/8" tempered hardboard or something like that. My friend is supposed to pick it up for me and then we're moving all my stuff to his garage to finish them up.
                                              Last edited by theSven; 26 June 2023, 23:35 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• vancityex
                                                • Aug 2008

hi just wanted to get the update on your build thanks ...and did you do test fire the drivers and any impressions on that... thanks

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Jan 2006

I laid them all out on the ground and tested them and was very impressed There ended up being a small problem with the crossover in my Maxx's and the mids were playing about 10dB louder then everything else. With these even not in the cabinets they sounded very balanced.

Unfortunately I really haven't made anymore progress. The friend that's letting me use his tools and what not is in school doing his Masters in Neuro Science. On top of that last weekend his car died. So we're working on it. Hopefully this weekend or early in the week we will get the wood and get everything over to his place and I can do as much as possible as it's starting to get cold :B

Comment

• vancityex
                                                    • Aug 2008

hi glad to hear that initial testing was impressive to say the least ....so any progress/new project ideas since then ( i mean what are you using for your current HT setup)... thanks

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Jan 2006

This is the build thread I made
                                                      Ok now most of you have seen this in another thread but I decided to make a proper thread since Clearwave is now a forum sponsor. The speakers I am building are the Dynamic 4T's which are MTMWWWW's with the TB W4-1337SA mids Vifa XT25 tweeter and RS180 woofers. More info here http://clearwaveloudspeaker.googlepages.com/home .

And currently I'm using some little KEF speakers.
                                                      Last edited by theSven; 26 June 2023, 23:36 Monday. Reason: Update htguide url

Comment

Working...
                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                      Search Result for "|||"