X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unkgd
    • Mar 2010

Statement Volume question

Went through all of the posts on the "Official Statements Thread" and still have a question (probably more than that - just don't know it yet!)

I am still going back and forth on sealed versus ported (primarily due to WAF) and looking at various cabinet options. In the various discussions of the speaker cabinet the topic of "speaker cabinet volume" is mentioned in various contexts.

What does this mean? Is it the net free air volume remaining in the cabinet after all of the bracing and speaker volume is subtracted? Or is it the total interior volume? Looking at the work Todd Premo did for the curved Statement cabinet port calculation leads me to think it is the net free air volume but want to make sure.

As the minimum volume for a sealed cabinet per Jim Holtz is 50 liter, the definition of this is critical to outside dimensions.
    Thanks,
    Bill
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Unkgd
    . In the various discussions of the speaker cabinet the topic of "speaker cabinet volume" is mentioned in various contexts.

What does this mean? Is it the net free air volume remaining in the cabinet after all of the bracing and speaker volume is subtracted?
    The box sim programs calculate a 'net' internal volume. It's up to the dersigner to determine the 'gross' internal volume by adding in the space displaced by everything inside the box

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• BobEllis
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2005

One of the "up sides" of sealed boxes is that they are rather forgiving of small errors in volume. So, be fairly accurate, but there's no need to get obsessive about the volume displaced by each internal component. This is especially true of something as large as the statements. Some may say that I am too cavalier about box volume, but to me this is supposed to be fun. I'm not going to calculate how much volume is added by my chamfers around the driver cutouts.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Bob is correct. A few liters one way or the other won't affect sound quality of a sealed cabinet as large as the Statements. 50 - 60 liters sealed works great with (2) RS225-8's.

Do remember the sealed Statements were designed to sit on top of a sub. The ribbon height must match your ears seated listening height for best sound quality. That's pretty difficult to do and keep the depth of the cabinet at 16 1/2" which is important for proper mid tunnel length without having some kind of stand under them or a fake bottom compartment.

HTH

Jim

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

My experience is that sealed or ported there's about a 10% 'fudge factor' when it comes to sizing a box.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Unkgd
            • Mar 2010

Excellent info!

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
            Bob is correct. A few liters one way or the other won't affect sound quality of a sealed cabinet as large as the Statements. 50 - 60 liters sealed works great with (2) RS225-8's.

Do remember the sealed Statements were designed to sit on top of a sub. The ribbon height must match your ears seated listening height for best sound quality. That's pretty difficult to do and keep the depth of the cabinet at 16 1/2" which is important for proper mid tunnel length without having some kind of stand under them or a fake bottom compartment.

HTH

Jim
            All,
            Thanks for the clarification on this, much apprreciated. I must admit that as an engineer I do have the tendency to perhaps be a little too "detailed' at times . Will try not to over work the issue.

Jim,
            I remember your comments about tweeter height and saw Chris's sealed configuration (in gloss Bubinga - absolutely gorgeous ), which looked like they used a 15 inch sub under each one. That example had a much higher WAF than the standard Statements - though she wanted to know if the subs had to be "there". Consequently if I go the sealed route, I am thinking of mounting these on stands rather than subs. Which raises another question - do you need two subs or will one suffice. Outside of absolute SPL, is there a SQ difference. The reason I ask is that the thought used to be,at the low frequencies of a sub, the human ear could not differentiate the source and a single sub was acceptable. That is is how my current installation is configured.
            Thanks,
            Bill
            Last edited by Unkgd; 13 April 2010, 12:56 Tuesday. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Jim Holtz
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Unkgd
              Which raises another question - do you need two subs or will one suffice. Outside of absolute SPL, is there a SQ difference. The reason I ask is that the thought used to be,at the low frequencies of a sub, the human ear could not differentiate the source and a single sub was acceptable. That is is how my current installation is configured.
              Thanks,
              Bill
              Here's my take which I suspect, many will disagree. From a pure music quality standpoint, I've found that either a sub(s) between the mains or dual subs with each located close to the mains integrates well. The Statements have an integration advantage since the appropriate crossover point would be 40 Hz. - 50 Hz. which should put it well down in non localization range. Home theater adds a lot more flexibility and is a different discussion.

FWIW, I'm a sealed main/sealed sub fan with an active 24 db crossover for seamless integration.

Jim

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"