X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AV-OCD
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by wer4ccsn
    Hello AV-OCD
    Thank you for your help and a quick reply ;x( . I was going to jump and go for the Mini to Toslink cable but taken a closer look at the back of the Desktop, I noticed that I have a free Optical Digital Audio out Port, so I was thinking to go for the Toslink to Toslink cable instead. Which way yields better performance? going Mini to Toslink or Toslink to Toslink? I know it is a dump question and you already answer my question in the first place, :cry: but I just want to make sure I am doing it the right way. You mention something that on Mac’s the 3.5mm phono jack doubles as optical digital connection. What is that means? My apologies in advance for my completely ignorance on this subject. ops: Thanks again
    Carlos
    Hello Carlos -

In your case the simplest solution it to use the free tosliknk on your Mac and connect it to the SSP-800. If you have a newer Mac, the toslink connection is hidden within the 3.5mm phono jack. There is a door on the inside of the 3.5MM jack that opens to expose the red light for the optical digital signal when you insert a special 3.5MM to toslink adaptor. Not all Mac's do this. The bottom line is that you can forget about all that and just use the standard toslink connection on your Mac. The mini toslink and standard toslink have the same performance.

- Tim

Comment

• wer4ccsn
      • Apr 2008

SSP-800 and iTunes

Originally posted by AV-OCD
      Hello Carlos -

In your case the simplest solution it to use the free tosliknk on your Mac and connect it to the SSP-800. If you have a newer Mac, the toslink connection is hidden within the 3.5mm phono jack. There is a door on the inside of the 3.5MM jack that opens to expose the red light for the optical digital signal when you insert a special 3.5MM to toslink adaptor. Not all Mac's do this. The bottom line is that you can forget about all that and just use the standard toslink connection on your Mac. The mini toslink and standard toslink have the same performance.

- Tim
      Thanks again Tim, last question, ops: ops: I though I had free audio in port, but it was an out port. So I guess I have to go with the Toslink to Mini cable. Anyways my question is: the Toslink to Toslink and Toslink to Mini, are both connection will have the same performance? by the way I have a 5 year old power mac g5, I don't have the new ones. Thanks
      Carlos
      ps. if the Toslink to Toslink connections is better I will free up the In Audio port

Comment

• Gump
        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Oddiophile
        Hi all,

The manual (Version 3.1) for the SSP-800 is now available at:

Congratulations to all the SSP-800 owners. I will audition one as soon as my dealer in Edmonton (Premier Audio) has one free. I will make a decision in the new year after the upgrade chip is made available.

Jim
        Thanks for the heads up on the manual, Jim! I'm soaking it up...it's the next best thing to "being there"!

I finally took matters into my own hands and called Classe and B&W today to try and find out the status of my SSP-800. Basically, I was at the caged lion stage of waiting. :crazy: Everyone I spoke to was VERY nice and sympathetic to my plight. The end result is that they were able to pin down where my unit is in the Classe food chain and it is shipping to Buffalo, NY this week and then will be shipped out from there no later than Friday to my dealer who should definitely have it by next week sometime. There's a glimmer at the end of the tunnel! 8)

Comment

• Gump
          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Minardi2
          With all due respect to RebelMan and the others on this thread, why the over the top anticipation for his review? Is his opinion any more valuable than any of the others on this board that offer intelligent, well thought out commentary? Will his review, and his review only, sway you one way or the other?

I suggest you relax, let it go. Listen to one for yourself, make an informed judgement, whatever that is. RM will get to it when he gets to it.

His opinion is not any more valuable than anyone else's, but it might be more informed. The fact is that RebelMan has been monitoring the "process" of this processor since it was just a twinkle in the engineer's eyes at Classe. He is very informed and knowledgable about it and that should be obvious from the detailed information that he provided when he began these SSP-800 threads long before the unit was even available.

So, although his opinion might not be MORE valuable, it is....well, valuable !

Comment

• AV-OCD
            • Aug 2008

Thanks again Tim, last question, ops: ops: I though I had free audio in port, but it was an out port. So I guess I have to go with the Toslink to Mini cable. Anyways my question is: the Toslink to Toslink and Toslink to Mini, are both connection will have the same performance? by the way I have a 5 year old power mac g5, I don't have the new ones. Thanks
            Carlos
            ps. if the Toslink to Toslink connections is better I will free up the In Audio port
            Carlos -

The out port on your Mac is what you want. You send the digital signal OUT of the Mac to a free INPUT on the SSP-800.

Is your Mac right next to your SSP? Most people are streaming audio to their system through an AppleTV via their wireless network so they don't have to have the Mac next to their AV system.

- Tim

Comment

• wettou
              Ultra Senior Member
              • May 2006

Most people are streaming audio to their system through an AppleTV via their wireless network so they don't have to have the Mac next to their AV system.- Tim
              Works well as long as the files are in MP3 otherwise they are too big, look at the ipod with Wadia170i i transport :T
              Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• wer4ccsn
                • Apr 2008

SSP-800 and iTunes

Carlos -

The out port on your Mac is what you want. You send the digital signal OUT of the Mac to a free INPUT on the SSP-800.

Is your Mac right next to your SSP? Most people are streaming audio to their system through an AppleTV via their wireless network so they don't have to have the Mac next to their AV system.

- Tim
                Tim,
                I know, I thought about that too, but it's only 160GB and the media files I have is 210GB and growing. My Mac is about 10 ft from the SSP-800, anyways I made a mistake, it's the Out port that is occupy not the In port. Going back to the same question, if the Toslink to Toslink connections is better I will free up the Out audio port. If it's the same, than I will go with the Mini to Toslink Connection. Thanks Tim, I appreciate your help.
                Carlos

Comment

• AV-OCD
                  • Aug 2008

Tim,
                  I know, I thought about that too, but it's only 160GB and the media files I have is 210GB and growing. My Mac is about 10 ft from the SSP-800, anyways I made a mistake, it's the Out port that is occupy not the In port. Going back to the same question, if the Toslink to Toslink connections is better I will free up the Out audio port. If it's the same, than I will go with the Mini to Toslink Connection. Thanks Tim, I appreciate your help.
                  Carlos
                  Carlos -

Since your Mac is older and has a dedicated Toslink out, I doubt that it also has the mini toslink in the 3.5mm phono jack. You are going to have to free up the toslink output on the mac or go wireless.

Going wireless, the AppleTV does not need to store all of the music on its hard drive. The AppleTV pulls the music from your G5's HD over the wireless network.

On the AppleTV, you have to choose "Sources" from the top menu and "Connect to New iTunes" and wirelessly connect to your iTunes library on your G5. iTunes must be running on your G5 to do this, and must show the AppleTV under devices. Hope that helps.

Comment

• AV-OCD
                    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by wettou
                    Works well as long as the files are in MP3 otherwise they are too big, look at the ipod with Wadia170i i transport :T
                    Not sure what you mean. The lossless files are too big to stream? Many people have successfully streamed lossless files from their primary computer to the AppleTV.

The page you tried was not found. You may have used an outdated link or may have typed the address (URL) incorrectly.

If you have a larger library of songs than an iPod can hold and want to have access to all of them, streaming via AppleTV is a more convenient solution than the Wadia iPod dock.

Comment

• wer4ccsn
                      • Apr 2008

Not sure what you mean. The lossless files are too big to stream? Many people have successfully streamed lossless files from their primary computer to the AppleTV.

The page you tried was not found. You may have used an outdated link or may have typed the address (URL) incorrectly.

If you have a larger library of songs than an iPod can hold and want to have access to all of them, streaming via AppleTV is a more convenient solution than the Wadia iPod dock.
                      Tim, I have a wired Router with 4 ports, can I do the wire connection through the Apple TV? Can it stream all the music files I have store in the g5?

Comment

• AV-OCD
                        • Aug 2008

Tim, I have a wired Router with 4 ports, can I do the wire connection through the Apple TV? Can it stream all the music files I have store in the g5?
                        Yes. If you have an appletv and prefer to run a network cable from your G5 to it to stream music you can. It just isn't as "elegant".

Comment

• garak
                          • Jul 2007

Tim,
                          Carlos
                          Carlos,

There is another option that doesn't require an AppleTV. Instead, you would need an Airport Express ($100) and a mini to Toslink cable. You would connect the mini to Toslink cable from the Airport Express to the Toslink input on your SSP-800.

Once you do that, you can use AirTunes to stream music to your SSP-800 from your Mac wirelessly. You would just open iTunes, and in the lower right hand corner, you'll see a drop down box that will allow you to select where to send the music (options would include Computer, Airport Express). Simply choose Airport Express, and you can stream PCM to your SSP-800 wirelessly.

This means you won't lose any quality and the SSP-800 does all of the processing, which will give you the best results. You won't have to free up the optical out on your Mac or run a cable from your Mac to the SSP-800.

The most powerful Mac laptops and desktops ever. Supercharged by Apple silicon. MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, iMac, Mac mini, Mac Studio, and Mac Pro.

Comment

• rogerdn
                            • Aug 2008

Source Set Up Question

Can my stereo and 7.1 music from my CDP be set up as the same source or should they be two diff sources, ie, CDP Stereo (#1) and CDP Surround (#2) ? I have them now as the same with appropriate connectors selected but the spkr balance is very different for the two using the same Configuration.

Or if they are the same source, do they each need different room Configuration set ups ?

Thks in advance for the help.

Comment

• sikoniko
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by rogerdn
                              Can my stereo and 7.1 music from my CDP be set up as the same source or should they be two diff sources, ie, CDP Stereo (#1) and CDP Surround (#2) ? I have them now as the same with appropriate connectors selected but the spkr balance is very different for the two using the same Configuration.

Or if they are the same source, do they each need different room Configuration set ups ?

Thks in advance for the help.

I use my Oppo for both 2channel and Multi-channel. I have created 2 inputs for this one device. Both inputs use the same "connection" (HDMI), but I have a unique "configuration" assigned to each of them. One configuration is for multi-channel playback, and the other is for two-channel playback.

I'm currently looking into media players now, and will only use the oppo for 2 channel a little bit longer.
                              I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• rogerdn
                                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by sikoniko
                                I use my Oppo for both 2channel and Multi-channel. I have created 2 inputs for this one device. Both inputs use the same "connection" (HDMI), but I have a unique "configuration" assigned to each of them. One configuration is for multi-channel playback, and the other is for two-channel playback.

I'm currently looking into media players now, and will only use the oppo for 2 channel a little bit longer.
                                Thanks sikoniko, I have now done the same and set up separate inputs but keeping the SAME Config. But my ctr spkr is still far out of balance, I don't see how setting up another Config would solve this if I adjust the levels all for 75 dB as Classe suggests, why would anything change ? What am I missing ?

Comment

• sikoniko
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Aug 2003

Thanks sikoniko, I have now done the same and set up separate inputs but keeping the SAME Config. But my ctr spkr is still far out of balance, I don't see how setting up another Config would solve this if I adjust the levels all for 75 dB as Classe suggests, why would anything change ? What am I missing ?

I disable speakers in the config for 2 channel only listening and run them full, instead of cross-over. the only reason you'd want to run them crossed over is if you were going to integrate your sub in 2 ch. listening.

Comment

• rogerdn
                                    • Aug 2008

I disable speakers in the config for 2 channel only listening and run them full, instead of cross-over. the only reason you'd want to run them crossed over is if you were going to integrate your sub in 2 ch. listening.
                                    They are not crossed over but full for stereo and surr.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Aug 2003

They are not crossed over but full for stereo and surr.
                                      what speakers do you have?

Comment

• msm
                                        • Aug 2008

I am about to order the SSP-800 or the Integra 9.9, do you guys really feel it is going to be worth the price difference?

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by msm
                                          I am about to order the SSP-800 or the Integra 9.9, do you guys really feel it is going to be worth the price difference?
                                          I'm not trying to sound flip, but only you can answer that. It depends on how important sound quality is to you, how deep your pockets are, how often you like to change out gear, how important things like build quality and industrial design are to you, etc.

For me, I want the best possible sound quality and will pay a premium for that and I want gear that is as beautiful to look at as it is to listen to. AV gear is not a commodity to me that is based on price vs performance.

Comment

• msm
                                            • Aug 2008

I'm not trying to sound flip, but only you can answer that. It depends on how important sound quality is to you, how deep your pockets are, how often you like to change out gear, how important things like build quality and industrial design are to you, etc.

For me, I want the best possible sound quality and will pay a premium for that and I want gear that is as beautiful to look at as it is to listen to. AV gear is not a commodity to me that is based on price vs performance.
                                            That is true, I have Class amps, might as well keep everything in the same line. I change gear a lot, it seems each month I am adding or swapping something.

Comment

• rogerdn
                                              • Aug 2008

what speakers do you have?
                                              Fronts are Wilson Sophias and ctr Watch, surrounds four Vanderstein VSM1's, no sub.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Aug 2003

Fronts are Wilson Sophias and ctr Watch, surrounds four Vanderstein VSM1's, no sub.
                                                ahh. the no sub would be why you don't cross them over, huh?

I'm a firm believer of crossing over speakers for HT. Even if you cross them over at 40, I still like my subs doing the heavy bass. just my opinion. :T

Comment

• merlinus
                                                  • Feb 2008

Upconversion

Does the SSP-800 upconvert RBCD signals to 24/96 before sending them to speakers?
                                                  merlin

Comment

• wettou
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • May 2006

Wettou - Why not just buy a player that does the decoding for HD audio internally to tie you over until the SSP-800 is upgraded. I do this with a PS3 and it works wonderfully. In fact, I really don't care if the DSP upgrade ever comes as i don't need it.- Tim
                                                    Yes I could do that! The thing is that buying a processor that does not have the new codec is like buying some technology that is already three years old.

I can get the new codec with my Integra Research and using analogue on the Sony BDP-S350

So until the Classé SSP-800 comes out with the upgraded board I will wait patiently My concern is that the upgrade never comes!
                                                    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• rogerdn
                                                      • Aug 2008

ahh. the no sub would be why you don't cross them over, huh?

I'm a firm believer of crossing over speakers for HT. Even if you cross them over at 40, I still like my subs doing the heavy bass. just my opinion. :T
                                                      Yes that is the reason, hope to add a sub when my new media room is finished if I have any $'s left after this bloodbath we are in.

Comment

• rogerdn
                                                        • Aug 2008

I have discovered I cannot assign the configuration that I have set up for my room to my CDP when playing a 7.1 source, which explains the out of balance center spkr problem. This config is inactive on the screen.

I see the only connector available is '7.1 bypass', shouldn't there be a '7.1 By-pass Off' option ?

Comment

• wettou
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • May 2006

Yes that is the reason, hope to add a sub when my new media room is finished if I have any $'s left after this bloodbath we are in.
                                                          Blood bath is a kind word, but I digress may be we will start seeing some opportunities as manufacturer might want to keep their companies afloat?

JL Audio F113 or the new F213 check them out they will take care of any thing you throw at them :T

Comment

• beden1
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Oct 2006

Blood bath is a kind word, but I digress may be we will start seeing some opportunities as manufacturer might want to keep their companies afloat?

JL Audio F113 or the new F213 check them out they will take care of any thing you throw at them :T
                                                            It would also be wise to see which companies may have trouble surviving this mess, as warranties and service would be at stake.

It's scary seeing how many different companies have been closing their doors here in Florida, even before the market meltdown during the past two weeks. The audio stores I've talked with are crapping their pants.

The development of new designs and technologies will definitely slow.

I glanced at the ticker last night and saw the Canadian Dollar had the largest drop in value in like 25 years. I didn't see if it fell below the dollar?

It's definitely going to get ugly. Thank God I exited the stock market over a year and a half ago and went into tax free municipal bonds and seven day auction zero coupons.

The last ones standing will have cash.

Comment

• wettou
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • May 2006

Originally posted by beden1
                                                              The last ones standing will have cash.
                                                              That is if inflation doesn't become like in Brazil!

Comment

• beden1
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Oct 2006

That is if inflation doesn't become like in Brazil!
                                                                There won't be inflation with the prices of all commodities dropping like stones. Prices will continue to decline from a lack of demand.

Comment

• rogerdn
                                                                  • Aug 2008

There won't be inflation with the prices of all commodities dropping like stones. Prices will continue to decline from a lack of demand.
                                                                  Until all that money pumped into the system starts to work, buy your gold now.

Comment

• rogerdn
                                                                    • Aug 2008

Have not listened to the JL's but read reviews, will check them out when ready.

Comment

• Gump
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                                                                      Get an Oppo 980, set it to output PCM via HDMI and connect that to the SSP-800.

Kal
                                                                      How much am I losing out on having the OPPO-981 instead of the 980? Apparently, the 981 doesn't have Direct Stream Digital (DSD) via HDMI as a feature, but the 980 does (according to their web site comparison). A lot of owners seem to be quite excited over the SSP-800's multi-channel abilities including RebelMan who told me that he is amazed at the sound of multi-channel SACD's from the 800.

So, am I gonna have to spring the $169.00 for the 980 or is the difference between the two marginal? I have several SACD's and definitely want to fully enjoy this format on the SSP-800 (when it arrives) if it's as amazing as I've been told.

So, what'cha think?

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Gump
                                                                        How much am I losing out on having the OPPO-981 instead of the 980? Apparently, the 981 doesn't have Direct Stream Digital (DSD) via HDMI as a feature, but the 980 does (according to their web site comparison). A lot of owners seem to be quite excited over the SSP-800's multi-channel abilities including RebelMan who told me that he is amazed at the sound of multi-channel SACD's from the 800.

So, am I gonna have to spring the $169.00 for the 980 or is the difference between the two marginal? I have several SACD's and definitely want to fully enjoy this format on the SSP-800 (when it arrives) if it's as amazing as I've been told.

So, what'cha think?
                                                                        if its just for SACD or DVD-A playback there is no sonic improvement in the 981 over the 980. The 980 is a must have...go for it.

Comment

• Gump
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Vancouver
                                                                          if its just for SACD or DVD-A playback there is no sonic improvement in the 981 over the 980. The 980 is a must have...go for it.
                                                                          I re-read my post and realized I might not have been clear. I already OWN the OPPO-981 player. I'm just trying to determine if the "sonic improvement" of the 980 (with DSD), combined with the SSP-800, over the 981 player is worth my time and the extra coin to exchange. The OPPO web site indicates that the 980 is superior to the 981 from an audio standpoint....I'm trying to get an opinion from the experts on DSD and the 980 if it's $169.00 superior or if it's just marginal.

Thanks for the input, Vancouver.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                            • Mar 2006
                                                                            • 2109

I re-read my post and realized I might not have been clear. I already OWN the OPPO-981 player. I'm just trying to determine if the "sonic improvement" of the 980 (with DSD), combined with the SSP-800, over the 981 player is worth my time and the extra coin to exchange. The OPPO web site indicates that the 980 is superior to the 981 from an audio standpoint....I'm trying to get an opinion from the experts on DSD and the 980 if it's $169.00 superior or if it's just marginal.

Thanks for the input, Vancouver.
                                                                            Cannot help as I have never used the 981. However, I do not see where the SSP-800 can decode DSD and, therefore, will require the PCM output anyway.

Kal
                                                                            Kal Rubinson
                                                                            _______________________________
                                                                            "Music in the Round"
                                                                            Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
                                                                            http://forum.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Comment

• Gump
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Sep 2005
                                                                              • 522

Cannot help as I have never used the 981. However, I do not see where the SSP-800 can decode DSD and, therefore, will require the PCM output anyway.

Kal
                                                                              Good point.

I'm still curious, though, if the 980 sounds any better than the 981 based on the Oppo web site claiming they emphasized audio and catered to the "audiophile" when designing the 980.

I can say that I was NOT happy with SACD played on the 981 with my McIntosh MX-135 pre/pro. Very grainy and static-y to the point that I thought it might have been faulty. Instead of sending it in for repair, I took the easy path and just stopped playing SACD's on it. RBCD's and DVD-A were fine.

$169.00 isn't THAT much to roll the dice with. I'll probably get the 980 too and do my own comparison then sell the least desirable one.

Thanks Kal.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • Mar 2006
                                                                                • 2109

Good point.

I'm still curious, though, if the 980 sounds any better than the 981 based on the Oppo web site claiming they emphasized audio and catered to the "audiophile" when designing the 980.
                                                                                I had planned to feature a few intriguing new products I saw at CEDIA's Expo 2007 held last September in Denver, but I did that on the Stereophile website. Instead, I'll just tell you about the only big audio trend I saw there: HDMI.

In January, I reported on my experiences with the Integra DTC-9.8 preamplifier-processor, which I found to be outstanding with digital sources. That assessment was due, in no small part, to the performance of the Audyssey MultEQ XT room-correction system, which is included in the DTC-9.8. With only a little serious effort, MultEQ opened up the entire soundstage, making possible a better appreciation of the hi-rez sources now available on all sorts of discs. I have no doubt that any careful user can achieve similar satisfaction.

Recently, I got an e-mail from a colleague at another audio magazine complaining about the paucity of new SACD hardware. We've been hearing about the slowing pace of new SACD releases, and about Sony's neglect of a format they themselves developed, but I now realize that, apart from the High End (footnote 1), machines that can play SACDs have been fast disappearing from the middle of the market.

Kal
                                                                                Kal Rubinson
                                                                                _______________________________
                                                                                "Music in the Round"
                                                                                Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
                                                                                http://forum.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Comment

• beden1
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • Oct 2006
                                                                                  • 1676

http://www.stereophile.com/hirezplay...tr/index1.html
                                                                                  In January, I reported on my experiences with the Integra DTC-9.8 preamplifier-processor, which I found to be outstanding with digital sources. That assessment was due, in no small part, to the performance of the Audyssey MultEQ XT room-correction system, which is included in the DTC-9.8. With only a little serious effort, MultEQ opened up the entire soundstage, making possible a better appreciation of the hi-rez sources now available on all sorts of discs. I have no doubt that any careful user can achieve similar satisfaction.

Recently, I got an e-mail from a colleague at another audio magazine complaining about the paucity of new SACD hardware. We've been hearing about the slowing pace of new SACD releases, and about Sony's neglect of a format they themselves developed, but I now realize that, apart from the High End (footnote 1), machines that can play SACDs have been fast disappearing from the middle of the market.

Kal
                                                                                  I agree with your review of the Oppo DV-983H, with the audio not being in the same league as my Sony SCD9000ES. I find the audio on the Oppo as too forward and bright with most recordings and genres. The Oppo is great with HT video, yet the audio is still on the in-your-face side.

I read about Oppo coming with a blu-ray player, but I will probably go with the new Sony ES unit that is coming out . . . as the audio will probably be easier to listen to.

Comment

• Gump
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Sep 2005
                                                                                    • 522

http://www.stereophile.com/hirezplay...tr/index1.html

Kal

Thanks for the links, Kal. I had already perused these articles when they were originally published (I'm a subscriber of course :T ). But, it was nice to re-read them and remember some of the finer points of your thorough reviews. Definitely gives me some food for thought.

I think I'll stand pat for now with the 981. I'm getting a PS3 at Xmas and I'll check out the SACD quality from that as well.

Thanks again!

Neil

Comment

• Gump
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Sep 2005
                                                                                      • 522

I agree with your review of the Oppo DV-983H, with the audio not being in the same league as my Sony SCD9000ES. I find the audio on the Oppo as too forward and bright with most recordings and genres. The Oppo is great with HT video, yet the audio is still on the in-your-face side.

I read about Oppo coming with a blu-ray player, but I will probably go with the new Sony ES unit that is coming out . . . as the audio will probably be easier to listen to.
                                                                                      beden1,

Yes, I am also intrigued by the new Sony ES players on the horizon. They have some serious potential based on the heritage of the 9000ES. They are definitely on my list to scrutinize once they're released.

It'd be cool if Kal could synchronize the SSP-800 and new Sony ES SACD player together for a simultaneous review....HA!

Neil

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                        • May 2006
                                                                                        • 3389

It'd be cool if Kal could synchronize the SSP-800 and new Sony ES SACD player together for a simultaneous review....HA!

Neil
                                                                                        Too bad the SSP-800 does not accept DSD!!

Comment

• garak
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Jul 2007
                                                                                          • 310

Does anybody know if the SSP-800 uses the same remote as the SSP-600?

I'm considering a Logitech Harmony 1000. However, their website states that they don't yet support the SSP-800, but they do support the SSP-600. But if it's the same remote, then, when programming harmony, selecting the SSP-600 should be fine right?

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                                            • Aug 2003
                                                                                            • 2299

Originally posted by garak
                                                                                            Does anybody know if the SSP-800 uses the same remote as the SSP-600?

I'm considering a Logitech Harmony 1000. However, their website states that they don't yet support the SSP-800, but they do support the SSP-600. But if it's the same remote, then, when programming harmony, selecting the SSP-600 should be fine right?
                                                                                            I am using a harmony one with my SSP-800. For general stuff (power on/off, volume up/down, and input selection) you will be fine.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"