• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RebelMan
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Official SSP-800 Owners Thread

Originally posted by sikoniko
    should we start a new thread for ssp-800 reviews?
    How about we make this the place to discuss SSP-800 owner questions, comments and reviews?
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
  • Gump
    • Sep 2005

James,

Don't be too skeptical about the break-in period with the SSP-800. Give it a few months and I'll bet the sound becomes much warmer.

I know that some "expert" opinions view the break-in period merely as a period of time that the listener's ears "adjust" to the new sound. I used to think that as well, but I now disagree with that theory.

I vividly remember my McIntosh gear sounding rather clinical and dry right out of the box (you may recall my state of panic as well :lol: ). Several months later I was amazed at how much fuller and warmer the sound was (is). I am convinced that there was a significant improvement.

It made a believer out of me reference electronics break-in periods. :T

Neil

Comment

• sikoniko
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Gump
      Don't be too skeptical about the break-in period with the SSP-800. Give it a few months and I'll bet the sound becomes much warmer.

I know that some "expert" opinions view the break-in period merely as a period of time that the listener's ears "adjust" to the new sound. I used to think that as well, but I now disagree with that theory.
      Neil,

Its hard to say about the SSP-800. I think there will be a combination of break-in period and adjusting to the change. It is the same but different.

Most systems have a tone, or color to them. The ssp-300 and 600 could be considered warm, perhaps somewhat tube-like. The SSP-800 is not really warm. It is transparent to the degree of believability. I watched the first half of U-571 (hddvd - 96k DTS track) last night and I really got the feeling that I was on or in a sub. Rain, thunder, rocking of the sub in the ocean as the waves hit across the bow and every other sound was incredibly realistic. Surrounds panned seemlessly around me, enveloping me in the movie.

This proc is something special. I had an opportunity to hear it in June in Seattle, and that time did not prepare me for what I would have at home. Arguably, some could say that the system at Definitive was better than mine, but I think I am getting more from the 800 now then I did then.
      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Gump
        • Sep 2005

It is transparent to the degree of believability.
        Hi sikoniko,

I assume that the SSP-800 you heard in Seattle was already well broken-in and now that you have your own you are certainly in a perfect position to evaluate the 800's sound character.

Transparency and believability are certainly great attributes, but I'm a little worried about the missing "warm, tube-like" sound that I consider to be a Classe trait.

Linn electronics are extremely detailed and transparent. I'm curious if the ex-Linn engineer (don't recall his name) that worked on the SSP-800 might have something to do with the change in the Classe signature sound. Just speculation and it doesn't really matter in the long run. I know a Linn fanatic that always criticized Classe for being too warm and lacking transparency.

Maybe Classe reached a happy medium with the SSP-800 that gives us the best of both worlds....that would be nice :T. Only time will tell...

I still am looking forward to hearing what you and James think about the SSP-800's sound in a month or two when it's "settled in" a bit.

Maybe I'll be joining you.... 8)

Neil

Comment

• sikoniko
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2003

Hi sikoniko,

I assume that the SSP-800 you heard in Seattle was already well broken-in and now that you have your own you are certainly in a perfect position to evaluate the 800's sound character.
          Well, to be honest, I got to hear the proc in seattle a couple hours after it was pulled from the box. I had a few hours to myself the day before the "event" occurred.

Transparency and believability are certainly great attributes, but I'm a little worried about the missing "warm, tube-like" sound that I consider to be a Classe trait.

Linn electronics is extremely detailed and transparent. I'm curious if the ex-Linn engineer (don't recall his name) that worked on the SSP-800 might have something to do with the change in the Classe signature sound. Just speculation and it doesn't really matter in the long run. I know a Linn fanatic that always criticized Classe for being too warm and lacking transparency.

Maybe Classe reached a happy medium with the SSP-800 that gives us the best of both worlds....that would be nice :T. Only time will tell...

Neil
          James and I are comparing notes on our observations. It is definately unexpected to say the least what we are finding. I wouldn't go so far as to say it isn't the classe sound. But it is slightly different.

Comment

• RebelMan
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

I think "tube like" is an overused and abused description. Tubes and transistors done right should sound identical but in many cases the designers of tube based equipment will deliberately color the sound to taste. I don't think the designers of the CP-700 had similar intentions but the engineering that went into it does make the pre-amplifier more forgiving of the source material than the SSP-800. To me the SSP-800 thirsts for the highest quality sources possible and will make them shine as in the case of my Rumors DVD-A. I will be keeping an open mind (per your recommendation) on the break-in period and I hope with more time that the SSP-800 warms up but not if it means a loss of transparency in the process. I am enjoying this new trait too much. :P

Comment

• Gump
              • Sep 2005

Well, to be honest, I got to hear the proc in seattle a couple hours after it was pulled from the box. I had a few hours to myself the day before the "event" occurred.

James and I are comparing notes on our observations.
              Well, if that's the case then I again gently suggest (at the risk of over emphasis) that no conclusions are jumped to prior to Classe's recommended 300hrs of break-in time is reached----at least 300hrs.

I know you guys are Classe Veterans that know what your doing, but I just can't help believing, based on my own experience, that the break-in time is significant to how that processor will ultimately sound. It will get better! :T

Comment

• RebelMan
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

James and I are comparing notes on our observations. It is definately unexpected to say the least what we are finding. I wouldn't go so far as to say it isn't the classe sound. But it is slightly different.
                Agreed. The sound is very much Classe' only clearer.

Comment

• wettou
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • May 2006

Originally posted by RebelMan
                  I To me the SSP-800 thirsts for the highest quality sources possible and will make them shine as in the case of my Rumors DVD-A. I will be keeping an open mind (per your recommendation) on the break-in period and I hope with more time that the SSP-800 warms up but not if it means a loss of transparency in the process. I am enjoying this new trait too much. :P
                  Hello James

Does it seem that the SSP-800 is not all that it was supposed to be?
                  That would be a disappointment:cry:

I heard that Classé suggested 400h break-in period that would mean, you could turn it on in the morning at 7:00 am leaving for work and turning it off in the evening going to bed :Z at 23:00! That translate into only 25 days 16h/day worth doing!
                  Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• RebelMan
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by wettou
                    Hello James

Does it seem that the SSP-800 is not all that it was supposed to be?
                    That would be a disappointment:cry:
                    Not at all. In fact it's quite strange. I have been so enamored by the 2CH abilities of the SSP-800 that I find myself in no hurry to try MCH cinema sources, which going into this I thought I would have been more anxious for. I have no disappointment but it is a little unexpected of a Classe' product to be this revealing. Bryston is revered for the transparency they breed into their products and if you've done your homework you'll know that I have great admiration for the company and their hardware. The SSP-800 is the first of its kind to equal if not better the neutrality I find in Bryston.

Comment

• wettou
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • May 2006

Not at all. In fact it's quite strange. I have been so enamored by the 2CH abilities of the SSP-800 that I find myself in no hurry to try MCH cinema sources, which going into this I thought I would have been more anxious for. I have no disappointment but it is a little unexpected of a Classe' product to be this revealing. Bryston is revered for the transparency they breed into their products and if you've done your homework you'll know that I have great admiration for the company and their hardware. The SSP-800 is the first of its kind to equal if not better the neutrality I find in Bryston.
                      Ah! I guess I was reading too much in the string of emails, let us know when you are ready with your humble honest opinion.

Do you have SACD Multichannel?
                      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• RebelMan
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

Do you have SACD Multichannel?
                        In my PS3 but its a little noisy. I don't have any SACD discs but I am thinking about (Nora Jones) what to do about it. I never felt the need before. :W

Comment

• sikoniko
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Aug 2003

In my PS3 but its a little noisy. I don't have any SACD discs but I am thinking about (Nora Jones) what to do about it. I never felt the need before. :W
                          I've read more about that Norah Jones Disk. I think you might want to pass on it. Read this quote from an Amazon review:

One of the requirements of SACD releases, as set forth by Sony and Phillips, is that there be at least an SACD (DSD) stereo layer. The surround DSD and hybrid Red Book PCM CD compatible layers are optional. As the previous reviewer mentioned, the stereo DSD layer on this release was taken from the Red Book 16/44.1 PCM master used to make the CD layer. So Blue Note skirted a basic requirement of the format they were releasing on by deceptively scamming consumers into thinking they were getting a true SACD. As far as anyone knows, however, the surround SACD layer was taken directly from the 2 inch multitrack and sampled to DSD, then remixed and mastered to the SACD surround layer. I haven't heard anything to the contrary. As it stands right now, I agree with Fremer that Blue Note should simply apologize, pull the current release, rerelease a proper SACD, and give past purchasers a free exchange.

Comment

• RebelMan
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Mar 2005

Hmm, one of my favorite groups is about to release a new cut on SACD. Maybe this is a sign?

Comment

• Hberg
                              • Apr 2008

Bob James ...

Hmm, one of my favorite groups is about to release a new cut on SACD. Maybe this is a sign?
                              Bob James and crew make for beautiful sound! I've been a huge fan of Bob James for many years.
                              "If 'A' equals success, then the formula is 'A = _ X + Y + Z.' 'X' is work. 'Y' is play. 'Z' is keeping your mouth shut." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

• sikoniko
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Aug 2003

Neil,

Its hard to say about the SSP-800. I think there will be a combination of break-in period and adjusting to the change. It is the same but different.

Most systems have a tone, or color to them. The ssp-300 and 600 could be considered warm, perhaps somewhat tube-like. The SSP-800 is not really warm. It is transparent to the degree of believability. I watched the first half of U-571 (hddvd - 96k DTS track) last night and I really got the feeling that I was on or in a sub. Rain, thunder, rocking of the sub in the ocean as the waves hit across the bow and every other sound was incredibly realistic. Surrounds panned seemlessly around me, enveloping me in the movie.

This proc is something special. I had an opportunity to hear it in June in Seattle, and that time did not prepare me for what I would have at home. Arguably, some could say that the system at Definitive was better than mine, but I think I am getting more from the 800 now then I did then.

OK, I finished watching the movie. Outside of the clarity, I wanted to comment on the Proc.

There are different levels of surround sound proc/receivers. What seperates them is how well they do surround sound. I know that sounds weird but think about it. Have you had your system setup and watching a movie and wondered if anything was actually coming from your surround speakers? You found the front sound stage so involved and dynamic, but lackluster performance around you? That is what I mean. That is what seperates a good surround sound processor from a bad one.

When it comes to the SSP-800, it excels at surround. The most subtle nuances are represented in a very believable way. There are scenes where the crew is talking in the hull of the sub, and I hear water leaking into the ship from behind me. The best word I can think of to sum it all up is immersive.

The SSP-800 is by far the most immersive SSP I have heard to date. It is clean, clear, accurate, quick, 0 background noise, and immersive.

I have a 7.1 system, and at this time am only able to play back hi-res in 5.1. The SSP-800 system makes 5.1 sound so dynamic, I can't tell that my rear speakers are not playing. (7.1 playback is fixed for production release, just not pre-production models). The SSP will make a 5.1 system excel to the point of making a 7.1 system possibly unnecessary.

Comment

• Gump
                                  • Sep 2005

The SSP-800 is by far the most immersive SSP I have heard to date. It is clean, clear, accurate, quick, 0 background noise, and immersive.
                                  I don't want to belabor the Linn connection theory, but these are all terms the Linn Nut I know would use to describe his Linn gear. He would claim that the clarity, detail, speed and accuracy of the Linn gear made it so involving and engaging, etc....

A little bit of the Linn flavor mixed in with the traditional Classe sound would make for an awsome combination....Sounds like a winner! :td:

Comment

• wettou
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • May 2006

sa-cd.net is the site I go to check out SACDs I have about 50 multichannel SACD and fortunately only three that are mediocre.

The ratings are very useful, I am curious to hear your perspective with SACD and Classé SSP-800

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                      • Aug 2008

I think "tube like" is an overused and abused description. Tubes and transistors done right should sound identical but in many cases the designers of tube based equipment will deliberately color the sound to taste. I don't think the designers of the CP-700 had similar intentions but the engineering that went into it does make the pre-amplifier more forgiving of the source material than the SSP-800. To me the SSP-800 thirsts for the highest quality sources possible and will make them shine as in the case of my Rumors DVD-A. I will be keeping an open mind (per your recommendation) on the break-in period and I hope with more time that the SSP-800 warms up but not if it means a loss of transparency in the process. I am enjoying this new trait too much. :P
                                      As someone that was turning to Classe to get away from the dry, revealing nature of my Lexicon MC-12HD, your comment about the SSP-800 being "less forgiving" has me concerned. I listen to plenty of imperfect recordings and I was hoping to tame the edge and digititus I hear on these.

IMO a sense of transparency comes from balancing the extraction of detail against listenibility. Push it too far and the piece goes from transparent to analytical. It's one thing to find a component that makes you want to see how much better hi-rez will be, and it's another altogether to feel all you can listen to are the best recordings. Where does the SSP-800 fall into this equation so far?

I have Revel Ultima2's and they are already revealing to the point that they border on the analytical. I was hoping to balance this against the "warm tube like" sound of the Classe.

I would also like to mention that I have had a different experience with well designed tube gear vs solid state than what you have described. Bad tube gear has its faults as does bad SS, but the best of both still sound quite different IME. For instance, I recently listened to a fully tubed Audio Research front-end connected to a pair of Watt Puppies, and Oh My God! it was phenominal! Super expansive, lush, and immaculately detailed but in a completely natural and listenable way. Much closer to "real" than any SS gear I have heard, but I admit that my exposure is limited and I haven't heard the Omega line of amps yet.

Off topic a bit, but I see in your profile that you have both the CAM400's and the CA5100. I'm torn as to whether to go with the CAM's for 2CH or just the 2200, with a separate 3200 for 5.1. What sort of improvements are gained by stepping up to the CAMs?

Cheers,

- Tim

Comment

• sikoniko
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by AV-OCD
                                        As someone that was turning to Classe to get away from the dry, revealing nature of my Lexicon MC-12HD, your comment about the SSP-800 being "less forgiving" has me concerned. I listen to plenty of imperfect recordings and I was hoping to tame the edge and digititus I hear on these.

IMO a sense of transparency comes from balancing the extraction of detail against listenibility. Push it too far and the piece goes from transparent to analytical. It's one thing to find a component that makes you want to see how much better hi-rez will be, and it's another altogether to feel all you can listen to are the best recordings. Where does the SSP-800 fall into this equation so far? - Tim
                                        analytical, or sterile are words that I would not classify the ssp-800 as.

Comment

• style
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Feb 2006

Hi,

Question over Classe..not the SSP but CA5200:

The manual say 300hours the have the best rom the ampli....(stand-by is valid too?)

After running the 300 hours you have heard a difference?
                                          (audible from a MAN? - not machine?)

For the SSP800 the running time is so important like in one ampli or is the same? (power ampli will delivery the sound, ok the ssp make a great job, but if the input is no good don't can make/do its work OR?!)

thanks Omar

Comment

• Shakespeare
                                            • Mar 2008

My dealer tells me that he should take delivery of my SSP 800 1 week from now. Having said that, I'm not sure which Classe CD player would work best with the new SSP. Will the CDP 202 do a better job of conversion than the SSP 800? If the DACs on the SSP will be used instead of the DACs in the CD player, will any old transport ultimately produce the same sound?

Comment

• Orb
                                              • Aug 2008

Belden,
                                              was it you who moved up from the CA-2200 to the CAMs?
                                              I know a few have.
                                              Cheers
                                              Orb

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Orb
                                                Belden,
                                                I know a few have.
                                                Cheers
                                                Orb
                                                Not to speak for Belden, but I did a search on the CAM amps last night and he went with a pair of CAM350's.

Comment

• rompower
                                                  • May 2008

Originally posted by Shakespeare
                                                  My dealer tells me that he should take delivery of my SSP 800 1 week from now. Having said that, I'm not sure which Classe CD player would work best with the new SSP. Will the CDP 202 do a better job of conversion than the SSP 800? If the DACs on the SSP will be used instead of the DACs in the CD player, will any old transport ultimately produce the same sound?

Good question before throwing 7000 for the cdp202
                                                  cdp102? cdt-300? Same results with ssp-800?

Rebelman, do you still have anything to compare to cdp-202? I know you did a comparison between cdt-300 and cdp-202 but well.. with the ssp-800, would be interesting to hear any comments

Thanks

Comment

• skuzzyb
                                                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by style
                                                    Hi,

Question over Classe..not the SSP but CA5200:

The manual say 300hours the have the best rom the ampli....(stand-by is valid too?)

After running the 300 hours you have heard a difference?
                                                    (audible from a MAN? - not machine?)

For the SSP800 the running time is so important like in one ampli or is the same? (power ampli will delivery the sound, ok the ssp make a great job, but if the input is no good don't can make/do its work OR?!)

thanks Omar
                                                    Omar, from my experience, I think there is something to be said about the "break in period," I have just replaced my SSP600 with one from my dealer as mine had to go back to Classe for repair. My SSP had about 150 hours on it versus the dealer demo which is over two years old and has clocked several thousand hours. I noticed right off the bat what a difference it made. Keep in mind that the only thing I changed was the processor and it was a world of difference. I am left wondering if I had noticed the difference so profoundly if I had just let the sound evolve over time as it passed the 300 hour mark. Now I am very curious and a bit bewildered how the SSP will sound when it gets back from Classe and will I be a bit disappointed with mine.

I also had changed out the dealers 2200 for mine as he loaned me his as well and could hear an audible difference between the new and the used one.

I have every plan on upgrading to the 800 in a year or so when they have the new board in as I like everyone else is in pursuit of the ultimate sound (for a price of course).

Comment

• rogerdn
                                                      • Aug 2008

Why New Thread ?

I'm new to HTG, why was a new thread started ?

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by rogerdn
                                                        I'm new to HTG, why was a new thread started ?
                                                        The purpose of the original thread was really for tech spec's and Q&A on the product. It makes more sense to do reviews in a different thread. If someone wants product info, they can read the other thread. if they want reviews they can come here.

Comment

• rogerdn
                                                          • Aug 2008

The purpose of the original thread was really for tech spec's and Q&A on the product. It makes more sense to do reviews in a different thread. If someone wants product info, they can read the other thread. if they want reviews they can come here.
                                                          Got It

Comment

• wettou
                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                            • May 2006

Originally posted by skuzzyb
                                                            I have every plan on upgrading to the 800 in a year or so when they have the new board in as I like everyone else is in pursuit of the ultimate sound (for a price of course).
                                                            I am with you, I am also waiting for the SSP-800 to be upgraded with the new board that will decode all new codecs Dolby Tru HD and DTS HD Master Audio :T Hopefully no later than January 2009

Comment

• skuzzyb
                                                              • Mar 2006

Wettou, the reality is that the decoding is not really needed as the players should do it fine, even if there is some debate as to whether the sound quality is different doing in in the player versus the processor. I do not understand why the SQ would be different as technically it should not matter.

My bigger beef is having to disconnect everything, remove it from my equipment rack and send it off to be serviced (assuming it is not done in the field). Once I put it in I have no intention of moving it again. It is a royal pain to have to unload my rack as I discovered having to send my 600 off, interestingly enough it has been over a month and nothing from Classe, good thing I have a loaner.

I am quite pleased that Rebelman and Sokinoko have been the trailblazers because by the time I get one all the kinks will be ironed out. Congrats by the way guys.

Rebelman, do you know if the same IR implementation is done like the SSP600 where I need the IR interface box? Also, do you know when Classe will create an XCF (philips remote file) similar to what they did for the 600, actaully it was a CCF but imported just fine.

thx
                                                              skz

Comment

• beden1
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Oct 2006

I am with you, I am also waiting for the SSP-800 to be upgraded with the new board that will decode all new codecs Dolby Tru HD and DTS HD Master Audio :T Hopefully no later than January 2009
                                                                But, by that time, my SSP-800 will have been broken in and sounding amazing, and yours will still be at the starting gate!

Comment

• beden1
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Orb
                                                                  Belden,
                                                                  I know a few have.
                                                                  Cheers
                                                                  Orb
                                                                  I'm not sure if you're referring to me, but I did add the most recent version of the legacy CAM-350's to drive my 803D's a couple of months ago. I was using my CAV-150 bi-amped before to power these speakers, and now use it to power my HTM2D and sourrounds.

I am very pleased with the results.

Comment

• beden1
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Oct 2006

My bigger beef is having to disconnect everything, remove it from my equipment rack and send it off to be serviced (assuming it is not done in the field). Once I put it in I have no intention of moving it again. It is a royal pain to have to unload my rack as I discovered having to send my 600 off, interestingly enough it has been over a month and nothing from Classe, good thing I have a loaner.
                                                                    thx
                                                                    skz
                                                                    My CP-500 has also been in for Classe service for over 6 weeks now. I'm not thrilled about it, and was told the service techs were also tied up working on the SSP-800, so I guess it was bad timing sending it in when I did. My amp came back in just over four weeks.

I was told by my dealer and by Classe, that the upgrade board on the SSP-800 will be performed at the local dealers. The dealer said their techs have a lot of experience doing upgrades for several of their manufacturers, so I'm not too worried about it.

Comment

• skuzzyb
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by beden1
                                                                      My CP-500 has also been in for Classe service for over 6 weeks now. I'm not thrilled about it, and was told the service techs were also tied up working on the SSP-800, so I guess it was bad timing sending it in when I did. My amp came back in just over four weeks.

I was told by my dealer and by Classe, that the upgrade board on the SSP-800 will be performed at the local dealers. The dealer said their techs have a lot of experience doing upgrades for several of their manufacturers, so I'm not too worried about it.
                                                                      That should not be too bad, I still will have to unpack the rack though. Mine may have been caught up in the SSP800 workings as well, maybe they will just change the innards and make it a 800.... wait, I just woke up from that good dream.

I am keen to hear how it sounds but the importer said they would not be bringing any into the country before next year unless someone orders one... I guess it will be easier to wait, plus by then it will have the new boards. Not like I have any BD software to decode anyway, my BD player has been sitting gathering dust!

Comment

• wettou
                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                        • May 2006

Same issue here I don't like to have to plug and unplug every thing all the time but in addition I like to have a finish =ed product and with out the new board it is not finished!

I find interesting that your 600 has been in service for so long how old was it?

I have had an Integra Research RDC7 for 7 years now and it has never been in service! Sam with my Sony Ta-E9000ES Pre/Pro which is 11 years old and works like a charm

It makes me worry about Classé may be the quality is not that great? Good thing they have a five year warranty!
                                                                        Last edited by wettou; 22 August 2008, 19:12 Friday.

Comment

• beden1
                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                          • Oct 2006
                                                                          • 1676

I guess it will be easier to wait, plus by then it will have the new boards. Not like I have any BD software to decode anyway, my BD player has been sitting gathering dust!
                                                                          I know right! I fell in love with the OPPO DV-983H I'm using, and I have not been missing the Blu-Ray player. I still have a hard time paying up for the Blu-Ray discs when the DVDs are cheaper and look great on the Oppo.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                            • Mar 2005
                                                                            • 3139

Your concerns are noted. I do not observe any "digititus" with the SSP-800 whatsoever but I also do not find the SSP-800 to be relaxed either. The SSP-800 neither hides nor enhances what is played, it simply tells it like it is without suppression or exaggeration.

IMO a sense of transparency comes from balancing the extraction of detail against listenibility. Push it too far and the piece goes from transparent to analytical. It's one thing to find a component that makes you want to see how much better hi-rez will be, and it's another altogether to feel all you can listen to are the best recordings. Where does the SSP-800 fall into this equation so far?
                                                                            I agree completely. I would say the SSP-800 removes itself to let the music be what it is. For instance, I ran a few tests using high quality lossy music files ripped straight from the CD that was used to play the same songs and I could clearly identify the "loss" that is inherent in compressed music files but not often or readily detected (that being dry presentation and collapsed soundstage). The SSP-800 does not put a spot light on the problems incurred with lesser recordings or their transcriptions to other portable/compressed formats but it does highlight the areas where they falter. I am perfectly complacent with CDs but now I also have a desire to acquire higher quality sources despite the futility I see in the effort.

I have Revel Ultima2's and they are already revealing to the point that they border on the analytical. I was hoping to balance this against the "warm tube like" sound of the Classe.
                                                                            The SSP-800 is revealing but not in an unpleasant way. My comfort zone has generally been in the 72-76dB SPL region. I am finding that levels of 10dB in excess to be sublime and I haven't experienced any urge to stop listening. I catch myself listening to tracks that I generally have no interest in just because they sound so good. I also find that I am listening all the way through each and every song I pick which before was not always the case. I forget and have to remind myself that I am listening to a pre-amplifier/processor and that there is more I need to explore but I don't feel compelled to break away. This is a first for me as I have always been split between listening to music and watching movies. The more I listen the more I want to listen.

I would also like to mention that I have had a different experience with well designed tube gear vs solid state than what you have described. Bad tube gear has its faults as does bad SS, but the best of both still sound quite different IME. For instance, I recently listened to a fully tubed Audio Research front-end connected to a pair of Watt Puppies, and Oh My God! it was phenominal! Super expansive, lush, and immaculately detailed but in a completely natural and listenable way. Much closer to "real" than any SS gear I have heard, but I admit that my exposure is limited and I haven't heard the Omega line of amps yet.
                                                                            Not so different is our experience. The true test is how long you can stand to hear what you are listening too in the situation you described. I get the same feeling with the SSP-800 and a pair of 800D but I can also stand to listen to it for hours upon hours, literally, and never ever once feel the need to calm it down. No squinching of the face or tightening of the ears I just accept what is sent my way. I find no need to fiddle with volume control at any time. I couldn't say that before.

Off topic a bit, but I see in your profile that you have both the CAM400's and the CA5100. I'm torn as to whether to go with the CAM's for 2CH or just the 2200, with a separate 3200 for 5.1. What sort of improvements are gained by stepping up to the CAMs?
                                                                            The CA-M400s ability to control bass for modest SPLs (~82dB) was the most notable difference I saw between it and the CA-2200. Other areas saw subtle to unnoticeable change.

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Aug 2008
                                                                              • 568

#39
                                                                              RebelMan -

Thank you for such a detailed and thoughtful response.

Based on some of your earlier posts, I wasn't sure if I needed to read between the lines, as the term "transparent" can be code for a component being revealing but not all that pleasant or listenable. This certainly doesn't seem to be the case here. In fact, I would love nothing more than to have the experience you have described in my own system.

I would love to achieve a truly transparent sound, but if a sytem errs I will take warm and relaxed over cold and analytical.

How do you have your CD player connected? Have you compared the sound of analog out from the player to the digital connection?

Thanks again,

- Tim

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                • Mar 2005
                                                                                • 3139

#40
                                                                                Originally posted by Shakespeare
                                                                                The Jury is still out but even at this early stage in the deliberations I can say unequivocally that the SSP-800 does a superb job of handling the digital signals.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                  • Mar 2005
                                                                                  • 3139

#41
                                                                                  Thank you for such a detailed and thoughtful response.
                                                                                  My pleasure.

I would love to achieve a truly transparent sound, but if a sytem errs I will take warm and relaxed over cold and analytical.
                                                                                  Understood. I am with you on this point.

How do you have your CD player connected? Have you compared the sound of analog out from the player to the digital connection?
                                                                                  I am running three scenarios. The CDP-202 is connected as a player through the XLRs and as a transport through the TOSLINK (optical) interface. I also have a Sonos music player streaming uncompressed AIFF files through an optical connection into the SSP-800. Comments to follow.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                    • Mar 2005
                                                                                    • 3139

#42
                                                                                    Omar, from my experience, I think there is something to be said about the "break in period," ...
                                                                                    My SSP-800 only has 56 hours on it so it's still early in the game but I am inclined to agree that maybe there is more than passing validity on this subject (for non-moving and amplified parts). I won't say that the SSP-800 has warmed up, I still don't detect a hint of color, but it does seem to have opened up a bit more.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                      • Mar 2005
                                                                                      • 3139

#43
                                                                                      I am quite pleased that Rebelman and Sokinoko have been the trailblazers because by the time I get one all the kinks will be ironed out. Congrats by the way guys.
                                                                                      Thanks

Rebelman, do you know if the same IR implementation is done like the SSP600 where I need the IR interface box? Also, do you know when Classe will create an XCF (philips remote file) similar to what they did for the 600, actaully it was a CCF but imported just fine.
                                                                                      Good point I will check into it.

Comment

• rompower
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • May 2008
                                                                                        • 241

#44
                                                                                        "My SSP-800 only has 56 hours on it so it's still "
                                                                                        for the break-in, do it have to be 300 straight hour or we can put in on standby isntead of letting it plays 24/24 ?

Rebel, anxious to see your comments about the cdp-202 and digital connection

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                          • May 2006
                                                                                          • 3389

#45
                                                                                          Originally posted by rompower
                                                                                          "My SSP-800 only has 56 hours on it so it's still "
                                                                                          for the break-in, do it have to be 300 straight hour or we can put in on standby instead of letting it plays 24/24 ?
                                                                                          The dealer was saying music 24/7 at low volume like at 30-35db straight is best, and in about a month it will be broken-in!! It is about 720 hours that should do it and then some. The only issue is to make sure it is well ventilated and watch out for that electric bill

He mentioned that standby doesn't do it.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"