X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bbcmp1979
    • Dec 2009

Worth the upgrade from the Nat P?

So I have sometime over the weekend to play with a 2.5way design using a 4 Rs180s-8, rs28f, and 3way design with 4 rs180s-8, tb w4, rs28f. I also did a quick comparision between the 2.5 vs NatP, 3way vs NatP, and a 3way vs 2.5way.

Here's the SPL comparision, it is very rough as I only entered the spl values at the gridline.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Comp.webp
Views:	31
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	941783

Here's the 2.5way

Name:	25sumresponsechart.gif
Views:	11
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	941784

Name:	25Impedancechart.gif
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	941785

Name:	quadRS180schematic.webp
Views:	31
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	941786

Here's the 3way

Name:	3waySPL.gif
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	941787

Name:	3wayimpedance.gif
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	941788

Name:	3waytransferfunction.gif
Views:	10
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	941789

Name:	Wooferresponsefor3wayrs180tbw4rs28f.gif
Views:	10
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	941790

Upgrading to the 2.5 ways would cost $100 worth of xover parts and enclosure material

Upgrading to the 3ways would cost $$$ for xover parts and 4 tb w4 + enclosure material

I'm tempted to go upgrade to the 3ways right the way but this being a hobby, i should take it one step at a time. What I really meant is waiting for a big sale for the W4???
    Last edited by theSven; 23 June 2023, 21:13 Friday. Reason: Update image location
  • fbov
    • Jun 2008

A couple questions. (And please consider a logarithmic axis; linear looks funny until you realize it's linear)

You have lots of design data on the 2.5-and 3-way. Are they your designs? I don't see any mention of measurements, and you talk about plotting "values at the gridline." That leads me to ask if this is a theoretical exercise, based on modeling results? Any chance the data's from your actual drivers?

All 3 designs are quite accurate (+/- 2dB). What I'm getting at is that when designs are this close, driver variation in T/S parameters could flip the order. In addition, both the 2.5- and 3-way have an overall downward FR trend compared with NatPs. They would sound different, but if they're your designs, that's when the tweaking begins.

The biggest question is your goal; more sound or better sound? You seem to be looking at one of each.
    - 4 drivers will play louder than 2, but unless you use lots of BSC, and/or a downward FR trend, the tweeter will limit overall sensitivity.
    - a lot of folks think drivers sound better when producing a narrower range.

Have fun,
    Frank

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"