• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dlneubec
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

New 3way: Need help/advice

Hi,

I'm a relative Noob, having done just a pair of matching subs, front 2.5way MTM's (set on the subs) and a center and surrounds. Here are the MTM's and subs.

Image not available

I'm using an HK AVR240 receiver to power everything but the subs, which use plate amps, currently fed by the LFE out. I use the system equally for HT and music. I listen to all types of music, but wanted to expereiment with new 3way mains, using other than a metal midwoofer.

What I originally was thinking of building was a modified version of these:
    Asterion
    with the Astorius bass module for a 3way combination, here:
    Astorius Bass module

Roman has a modified crossover for the RS225 bass module to match the Vifa XG18/OW1 combination and has one with the 22TAF/G as an alternative in the works.

Here is what I currently have to work with. I have already purchased 2 RS22's, 2 XG18's (I picked them up used) and no tweeters. I'm interested in the OW1 or the 22TAF/G. Also, these 3ways must sit on top of the existing subs, so I'm limited to about 33" height for them. I'm concerned about overall sensitivity and how these will match and what is the best configuration. I can do what I originally planned, a WTM (with the M on top so that the tweeter is closer to ear level). However, all the RS 3way threads have me wondering about whether I should be adding a second RS225 for a WWTM or possibly using two extra XG18's (already have the two extra's) and do a WMTM.

So, first I need help determining what the best combination of drivers is. Eventually I'll have to see if I can get some help from Roman to modify his crossover or from someone here to do the same to fit any added drivers.

I was planning on having the TM or MTM section in a separate box from the bass. I know I can get around 54L in the bass section and 25L in the MT section. Below is a look at the general idea of what it would look like in a WWTM.

The bracing probably looks a little odd, but I have plans to potentially use the same basic cabinet, with dadoes slotted in the sides and a removable bottom and back. I can slide in solid panels or open bracing into the slots from the bottom, so I can experiment with sealed, ported and TL versions for the bass bin, before I settle on a final design. I would use just one RS225 for the ported or TL version, and possibly 2 RS225's in the sealed version. The TM section is planned to be ported, but also could be made, sealed or as a TL.

My plan is to use the reciever to cross the sub at probably 60Hz to 250w plate amps in the subs (with 6db bass boost at 30Hz). Subs are sealed at about 40L, 45ยบ downfiring, like the old Allison 9's.

Any feedback, help or suggestions would be very much appreciated!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by theSven; 25 June 2023, 23:06 Sunday. Reason: Remove broken image link
    Dan N.
  • Jed
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by dlneubec
    Hi,

Any feedback, help or suggestions would be very much appreciated!
    It seems like you really have a good idea what you want based on the drawing, but here's what I would do. Forget 2 RS225 woofers if you want to do one of Roman's designs. The crossover and system is designed for 1 woofer and adding a 2nd woofer really won't gain you much since you are going to use a subwoofer anyway. Also, forget the MTM idea if you are wanting to use a 3/4" dome tweeter. The small OW1 or Seas tweeters like being crossed over around 3K so MTMs would be a no-no because of the Center to Center spacing issues and vertical lobing etc. Also the MTM would force you to place the tweeter up even higher. Not a good thing. So my vote would be to go for the MTW setup. I think Roman has a crossover for that already too. As for the tweeters, the metal dome will probably be cleaner in the lower treble.

Jed

Comment

• dlneubec
      Super Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

Hi Jed,

Thanks for the feedback.

I was very close to starting on the MTW, and started seeing all the posts about the RS 3ways, with the two RS225's, so I was second guessing the deicision to go ahead. I have the plans already drawn up with the RS225 is centered in the bass box. I should probablt bite the bullet and start them.

I'm using the 22TAF/G in my center channel and surrounds, so I can pull two of them to test with the system and only have to invest in the crossover components that would not be used in the OW1 version, to see if I like the metal dome version. If I like the MTW 3ways, I still have two xg18's left over that I can use to redo my CC to match the new mains.

One other question. Roman's design has the MT box ported. Would it be worth considering a straing taper TL for the mid? I suppose the TL makes the crossover slope change, so maybe that would be a problem with the existing network design.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Dan
      Dan N.

Comment

• Jed
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by dlneubec
        Hi Jed,

Thanks for the feedback.

I was very close to starting on the MTW, and started seeing all the posts about the RS 3ways, with the two RS225's, so I was second guessing the deicision to go ahead. I have the plans already drawn up with the RS225 is centered in the bass box. I should probablt bite the bullet and start them.

I'm using the 22TAF/G in my center channel and surrounds, so I can pull two of them to test with the system and only have to invest in the crossover components that would not be used in the OW1 version, to see if I like the metal dome version. If I like the MTW 3ways, I still have two xg18's left over that I can use to redo my CC to match the new mains.

One other question. Roman's design has the MT box ported. Would it be worth considering a straing taper TL for the mid? I suppose the TL makes the crossover slope change, so maybe that would be a problem with the existing network design.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Dan
        Dan,

I probably know Roman's designs a bit better than most on this board since I've actually been to his house and listened to them.
        Anyway, about the TL comment. I believe Roman sealed the Asterion box when he tried the 3-way version, so that is what I would do, and yes a TL box for the midrange would change the response a bit, so it would require some new crossover modifications. My guess is if you build the Asterion 3-way you will be happy with them. You can see my review on his webpage.

If you have any more questions just let me know.

Jed

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"