• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dlneubec
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Unique 3way measurement problems

:sos: How would you measure this?

I have a unique 3way that I need to take design measurements for. This is my first 3way and only my second complete design. My application is unique in that it is omnidirectional and all the drivers are firing up or down, so the listening axis is what would normally be considered 90º off axis.

There are two RS225’s firing at each other, centered about 15-3/8” above the floor. They are 4-1/4” apart and have a diffuser separating them. There is a single RS52 mid that sits in a cut down 8” PE waveguide that fires up into an 8" concave cone shaped diffuser. That diffuser holds a Dayton ND20FB in a 6.5” MCM waveguide firing up into a 7.5” concave cone diffuser. There is about 19-7/8” from the center of the woofers to the mid’s WG/baffle and 3-3/16” from the mid to tweeter WG/baffle. Attached is a pdf of the plans.

Since all drivers are omnidirectional throughout their range and are playing in 4pi space throughout their range, it is my understanding that I do not need to worry about making any baffle step adjustments. Also of interest is that the drivers have their VC’s and acoustic centers time aligned to the listening axis at 37” and 12’ away.

So, the question is what is the best ways to take design measurement for these? For a typical two-way, one might simply do gated farfield measurements at one mic position, say 38” high and 1m away for both the woofer and tweeter, and then splice in a nearfield on the woofer to better represent the bottom end. For these, I could see where one mic position, centered between the mid and tweeter might work for those two drivers, but the distances would be off for the woofers, not to mention serious floor bounce issues with them only 15” or so above the floor, requiring the gated window width to be be very short. Also, since the drivers are time aligned at 37”/12’ they will not be time aligned with the mic at any position closer than that, which will ness with the phase accuracy. Of course, I will need to do a nearfield on the woofers, perhaps at the front edge of the speakers, but that won’t help me determine the spl level match with the mids and tweeter. I need something that I can merge the nearfield into that represents the spl level and phase that is comparable to the mids and tweeters.

My initial thought is to set the mic level at the tweeter baffle height, about 38.5” and 1m away. Measure the tweeter output. Elevate the box about 3” and measure the mid. Then elevate the box another 20” and measure the woofers. This way, I can remove the floor bounce cancellation from the woofers and by raising the box, all the speakers are measured at the same distance, so there should not be any phase related issues. I’m thinking I can use the same gated window for all these measurements and that they can be done inside. I would also merge a nearfield on the woofers to better represent the bottom end below 400-500hz or so. Another approach might be to do a ground plan farfield on the woofers, with the distance adjusted so it matches that used for the mid and tweeter

BTW, my projected crossovers are expected to be around 600hz and 4200hz or so. Also, according to BoxyCad2, for a at 37” listening height and 12’ listening distance, the midrange floor bounce null at 396hz and woofers are at 890hz, with a recommended optimum crossover point of 594hz.

Does this seem like a valid approach?

Does anyone have any other approaches I should consider?

I’m very concerned that I’m overlooking something. BTW, I’m using SoundEasy.

Thanks for any comments!
    Attached Files
    Dan N.
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

What really matters is what the farfield looks like at the listening position- splicing in the low frequency nearfield just pretties up the measurement and hides issues with room loading and poisitioning. Better to discover those issues sooner, rather than later.

As for BSC, I think you're going to be a little surprised when you do those measurements- whether you fire those woofers up, down, sideways, or inside out, each woofer on each baffle will transisiton from true 4pi space loading at very low frequencies to something else at higher frequencies- it's just a function of the baffle size they're mounted on.

I'm curious to see how this all turns out and how happy you are with them, but on a fundamental "religious" basis, I'm not in favor of omnidirectional loudspeakers- you've probably figured that out if you've read any of my posts regarding dipole designs.

You might want to do a boundary mode analysis of the room interaction with your low frequency sources (see Evil Twin in the reference threads), this will give you some ideas about where you need to position your speakers to get the flattest in room response, and then just do your measurments (time gated and not) on the planned listening axis.

I have some experience with baffles and diffusers located close to a radiating cone; you're going to see some intersting effects on the frequency response.

~Jon
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• dlneubec
      Super Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by JonMarsh
      What really matters is what the farfield looks like at the listening position- splicing in the low frequency nearfield just pretties up the measurement and hides issues with room loading and poisitioning. Better to discover those issues sooner, rather than later.
      Hi John,

Thanks for the feedback. Good point about nearfield. With my listening position approaching 3m, how would you do in room measurments at that distance without significant reflections? Or, is that not what you are suggesting?

As for BSC, I think you're going to be a little surprised when you do those measurements- whether you fire those woofers up, down, sideways, or inside out, each woofer on each baffle will transisiton from true 4pi space loading at very low frequencies to something else at higher frequencies- it's just a function of the baffle size they're mounted on.
      I was advised during the design of my fist omni project that this was not the case the up and downfiring RS180's in that omni, (by John K.) so now I'm thoroughly confused on the BSC issue. 8O

I'm curious to see how this all turns out and how happy you are with them, but on a fundamental "religious" basis, I'm not in favor of omnidirectional loudspeakers- you've probably figured that out if you've read any of my posts regarding dipole designs.
      I can only say that I prefer my first omni project over my open baffle dipole MTM's (NaO Mini's in my avatar), albeit with sealed stereo subs as bases (actively crossed at 100hz). The soundstage seems much more extensive, side to side, front to back and more open, IMHO. I'm hoping to improve on that design with this one. :T

You might want to do a boundary mode analysis of the room interaction with your low frequency sources (see Evil Twin in the reference threads), this will give you some ideas about where you need to position your speakers to get the flattest in room response, and then just do your measurments (time gated and not) on the planned listening axis.
      Thanks, I will search for that.

I have some experience with baffles and diffusers located close to a radiating cone; you're going to see some intersting effects on the frequency response.

~Jon
      I've actually done a lot of measurments with diffusers etc. on my disrt omni project and on this new project (see this thread Mentor2 Omni thread). What I have found is that diffuser height, position, and shape are very important, but if all are done carefully, they can extend the natural off axis roll off considerably, flatten it, and generally reduce the peaks and valleys of the breakups. In this case I've done a lot of testing with wavegiudes, diffusers, diffuser heights, etc. Attached is the preliminary measurements I have for drivers I've settled on, the RS52 (blue) and ND20FB (black) in the waveguides with the proposed diffusers, very roughly configured on cardboard box baffles, etc. Also shown are the two RS225 in their current configuration, with the baffle in between them, and measured at 1m, with the box lifted up to around 37" mic height, IIRC. I did do a nearfiled and splice it into the farfield on the RS225's for this plot.

The second graph below is show just the RS52 and ND20FB, but these are in the actual design configuration as shown in the plans with the final WG and diffusers in place on actual baffles, etc.

I'd be extremely interested in your thoughts on these and the results posted in the omni thread.

Thanks!

Click image for larger version  Name:	RS225x2_baffle-betwn_RS52_8inWG- diff_ND20-65wg-8diff.gif Views:	101 Size:	90.2 KB ID:	847879

Click image for larger version  Name:	RS52_8inWG- diffuser_ND20-65wg-8diff_3-31.gif Views:	108 Size:	97.7 KB ID:	847880
      Last edited by theSven; 17 August 2023, 01:59 Thursday. Reason: Update htguide url
      Dan N.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"