X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • digi128pci
    • May 2014

Amiga Build (europe)

Hi all,

I was looking for a good speaker set for my TV setup ( I have a 2.1 setup Onkyo LS 3100 ATM).

First I was thinking about a bookshelf speaker like setup.
    I found the site of Paul Carmod and found some designs that looked fine, but also noticed the amiga.

So now i was wondering if the amiga would be good to replace my current 2.1 setup?

My livingroom is about 8.5m long and 4m wide.

I red that there is no direct need for a sub?

Also im from Belgium, for those that don't know where it is, it is in Europe .

I took a look at the Amiga BOM:

Dayton RS180S-8 7" woofer 8 Ohm

Vifa DX25TG09-04 tweeter

The dayton RS180S-8 looks impossible to find here in europe ...
    I found the RS180-8, can I use that one? Do I need to make some alterations? XO? Or is there an other supplier were i could buy from without paying 100$ import costs ...?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

kind regards,
  • 5th element
    Supreme Being Moderator
    • Sep 2009

As far as I understand it Dayton are phasing out their shielded drivers as hardly anyone has a CRT these days. From other posts regarding the updated/unshielded versions, they are different, but not vastly so, such that they should be a drop in replacement. There could be small sensitivity differences though that may require adjustment of the tweeter level to get the balance you are after. You could email Paul directly though and ask, I am sure it wont be the first time.

Some of the unshielded RS drivers are quite different. The new RS125 needs a completely different box to the old one for starters, let alone what else has changed, but these are rarely used and I think the RS180/RS150/RS225 are drop in replacements.
    What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
    5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
    Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

Paul designs very nice speakers.
      The Amiga will definitely be a big upgrade over your current speakers. I think you'll be pleased. But, give the size of your room, many crazies would recommend bigger designs if you desire to reach high SPL levels. It really depends on how close you sit and how loud you listen and how picky you are. Pauls' write up eludes to it running out of xmax at 96 - 98 db. If you want to listen to louder, a MTM design such as the NatP found here would be a better choice.

I think this design will give solid bass, especially for music. But, I always recommend a subwoofer, especially for movies. The RS180 is a capable bass driver, but it just can't provide the bass extension and quality of a sub optimum positioned in the room.

Paul also has his Core2 speaker design which is similar to the Amiga, but uses the Dayton RS28 tweeter. My speakers use the RS28a. I really like them. I think it is a more expensive better tweeter that allowed Paul to push the crossover point down. You may want to consider this design too, depending on your budget.
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• 5th element
        Supreme Being Moderator
        • Sep 2009

Personally I'd just say go with a sub as this will give you far more options for the mains. You've got a large listening room, big enough for a large three way to work well in/ be required for high peak SPLs, but this will cost a lot. Going the sub route and high passing the mains will significantly relax the requirements on your typical 6-7" driver and mean you don't have to look at the bass extension of the main speakers as a large design requirement.
        What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
        5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
        Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• digi128pci
          • May 2014

Originally posted by ---k---
          Paul designs very nice speakers.
          The Amiga will definitely be a big upgrade over your current speakers. I think you'll be pleased. But, give the size of your room, many crazies would recommend bigger designs if you desire to reach high SPL levels. It really depends on how close you sit and how loud you listen and how picky you are. Pauls' write up eludes to it running out of xmax at 96 - 98 db. If you want to listen to louder, a MTM design such as the NatP found here would be a better choice.

I think this design will give solid bass, especially for music. But, I always recommend a subwoofer, especially for movies. The RS180 is a capable bass driver, but it just can't provide the bass extension and quality of a sub optimum positioned in the room.

Paul also has his Core2 speaker design which is similar to the Amiga, but uses the Dayton RS28 tweeter. My speakers use the RS28a. I really like them. I think it is a more expensive better tweeter that allowed Paul to push the crossover point down. You may want to consider this design too, depending on your budget.
          thank you all for the usefull comments !

Why do you prefer the RS28 tweeter above the Vifa DX25TG09?

ps Can i use the RS180 as replacement of the RS180S?

Kind regards,

Comment

• ---k---
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2005

I haven't heard that specific Vifa tweeter. I have heard the RS28. I like the RS28 and can recommend it highly. The RS28 is 2x expensive tweeter. Usually the more expensive the tweeter, the better. The RS28 is able to also be crossed much lower, as Paul does in the Core 2. This can be an advantage worth considering. The quality of the RS28 is well documented around the web and testified too by the amount of designs using it.

This isn't saying the Vifa is bad. CJD and I used a different Vifa tweeter in our Ochocinco design. So, I'm not anti-Vifa. I just haven't heard it.

Yes. CJD has done testing and confirmed that the RS180-8 is a drop-in for the RS180S-8
            - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
            CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
            CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

I have done designs with both that Vifa tweeter and the RS28a, and overall I prefer the sonics of the RS28a; especially the clarity it's somewhat lower distortion delivers to my ears.

Of course, all the usual disclaimers apply, YMMV, etc, but I think the extra money is well worth spent. But then, I think the extra money of a Scanspeak D3004/6640 is well worth spending, too. So my opinion may be an outlying data point, depending on your overall concerns and requirements.
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
              Obi-Wan
              Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"