X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • numberoneoppa
    • Sep 2009

Question about resitances in inductors.

I am shopping for some Inductors right now and cannot find exactly what I need. The kit is Brian Powers's North Seas.

Click image for larger version

Name:	northseas2.webp
Views:	13
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	943282

According to the schematic, I need:
    Two 1.8mH / 1ohm inductors
    Two .15mH / .23ohm inductors

This is what I've found:
    1.8mH - 0.47ohms DCR
    0.15mH - 0.10 ohms DCR

Can I add resistors in series to make up for the lack of resistance in the schematic or is this trivial?

Thanks!

ps: If you have any cheaper recommendations, I'm happy to hear those, too!
    Last edited by theSven; 27 June 2023, 21:08 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
    -Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.
  • Curt C
    • Feb 2005

I'm sure Brian has the definitive answer, but it looks to me like air core Jantzens should work: 18 ga for the 1.8 mH, and the Jantzen 20 ga for the .15 mH.
    0.74 and 0.23 ohms respectively, and available at PE.

C
    Curt's Speaker Design Works

Comment

• numberoneoppa
      • Sep 2009

Thanks a lot! I didn't look at PE, but I guess that takes a lot of the headache out. I'm going to pull the trigger on these now, and if I need to in the future, I can make changes if I get an answer from Brian (not building for another month).
      -Josh

Comment

• brianpowers27
        • Feb 2009

I used air core but you certainly could try it with iron core. The difference in resistance will affect the tweeter to woofer balance a little. You could adjust the series resistor from 2.7 ohms to a lower value depending on taste. It's likely I used 20 gauge inductors for the original spec. I likely guesstimated the resistance.

Keep in mind that you are building version 1 of the xo. Version 2 is posted below. I'm not going to do a diagram but the layout should be fairly straight forward.
        Want a second or third opinion about your speaker cabinet design or other audio related problem? Post your question or comment on the Technical Discussion Board. Hundreds of technicians, engineers, and hobbyists, nationwide read and discuss electronics related questions each week. We welcome your participation
        --My Speaker building pages http://sites.google.com/site/brianpowers27speakers/
        --Get yourself on this forum member map! This can help everyone find fellow DIYers in the area.
        --The Speaker DIY resource Database

Comment

• numberoneoppa
          • Sep 2009

Thanks for responding.

Actually, I saw version 2 last night about an hour after I ordered the parts for the first design. :P

I'll stick with v1, for now. In your listening, how does v2 stack up against it?

edit: Also, what are you using to drive the North Seas?
          Last edited by numberoneoppa; 11 November 2009, 02:16 Wednesday.
          -Josh

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"