X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hank
    Super Senior Member
    • Jul 2002

A real "why didn't they make this tool before?"

I discovered the Black and Decker Rota-Driver at Home Depot. What a great idea for drilling/screwing in tight areas! I wanted to share with you other DIY-ers. Installing the crossover boards into the back bottom of monitor speaker cabinets is a pain. I screw down the four corners of the board into the cabinet bottom, which means that sometimes I'm in there at the corner intersections at the back of cabinets. It was tough even with my Milwaukee cordless screwdriver, but this new B&D baby, with its rotating collet gets a bit right up into the corners of the workspace. It was $29+ and worth it.
  • John_E_Janowitz
    • Jan 2006

yep, those are pretty nice for the price. I ended up getting this instead:

Bosch Power Tools – Trade/Industry. The professional blue power tools from Bosch are engineered for excellence – meeting the highest standards in speed, precision and robustness for great, professional work results.

It's nowhere near as inexpensive, but has 2 batteries and a 30min charger so by the time one battery is dead, the next is ready to go. You can get it in very tight places and the handle rotates to get different angles. Has lots of power and the clutch starts slow and works up to speed so the bit doesn't slip off screws. I recently used it to put in screws for drywall. I was able to put in well over 100 1-5/8" drywall screws on a single battery.

John

Comment

• Hank
      Super Senior Member
      • Jul 2002

Nice - if I were a pro, I'd consider one of those.
      I was just suggesting an inexpensive tool for casual DIY-eers, not for pro's or cabinet makers. It gets further into tight corners than anything I've seen, including the new "compact" LI battery jobs at HD.

Comment

• Amphiprion
        • Apr 2006

Another alternative is to put rubber adhesive 'dots' at the four corners and just put a screw through a pre-drilled hole in the middle of the XO board for a screw to tension the board down against the rubber dots (which kind of act like stand-offs).

Comment

• Hank
          Super Senior Member
          • Jul 2002

I use neoprene washers on top and bottom of my xover boards, so the screws, and therefore the cabinet are isolated from the xover board.

Comment

• Amphiprion
            • Apr 2006

If you say that's because vibrations would affect the crossover, we're going to have to have a discussion Hank

Comment

• ahaik
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Amphiprion
              If you say that's because vibrations would affect the crossover, we're going to have to have a discussion Hank
              I think the concern is the xover board vibrating on the speaker wall causing an audible buzzing sound.

Comment

• 1Michael
                • Sep 2006

I always use 3 pieces of velcro glued to the boards and they don't rattle and are easily removable.
                Michael
                Chesapeake Va.

Comment

• Hank
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jul 2002

we're going to have to have a discussion
                  And discuss plasma speakers also. Friday night, at my you-know-what event.

Comment

• Amphiprion
                    • Apr 2006

Now now, we can't talk about that except in PM's. And I can't mention I might have to cancel because of a possible party hosted by a hot blonde PhD student at A&M that I went on a date with last weekend

Comment

• Hank
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jul 2002

Kid, you have a PM. :W Regarding plasma drivers, what is your ulitmate high voltage target?

Comment

• Amphiprion
                        • Apr 2006

I actually think I'm giving up the plasma tweeter project, at least for now. The hazards involved and the very, very limited success have me re-evaluating the endeavor. I also blew up the board two days ago (haven't debugged it yet) but the circuit breaker and GFCI don't like it when I plug it in anymore.

Comment

• ---k---
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Amphiprion
                          Now now, we can't talk about that except in PM's. And I can't mention I might have to cancel because of a possible party hosted by a hot blonde PhD student at A&M that I went on a date with last weekend
                          Forum rule: "No Picture, No Project!"

(we all know what the Project is. )
                          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"