X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jim1961
    • Nov 2012

Speaker Distortion

Need some help. I am getting a sudden distortion peak around 470hz. As I bring up the volume, its suddenly there. Its not there at any lower SPL, and is ever-present at higher. I dont see it in the other speaker.

Things ive tried:

1) Changed amp channels driving the speaker
    2) Made sure all the mounting screws are tight
    3) Tested both near field and far field.
    4) Eliminated anything that could vibrate near the speaker

The graphs were taken near field (about 10" from cone) with tweeter running as well.

Has anyone seen this type of thing before? Ideas?

Click image for larger version

Name:	04 16 15 mid 100db distortion.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	871428

Name:	04 16 15 mid 102db distortion.jpg
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	871429

The driver in question is a Seas W18NX001
    Seek out and destroy early high gain room reflections
  • jim1961
    • Nov 2012

Problem solved. I tightened the midrange mounting screws just a bit more and wha la, all peachy now.

Was going to delete the thread, but on second thought, someone else may have this issue and my post may help them diagnose it.

Comment

• wkhanna
      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

With DIY speakers especially, periodic tightening of driver mounting hardware is part of my regular preventative maintenance routine.

Your post is a good reminder for everyone, IMHO.

Glad to hear you got things all sorted out. :T
      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• jim1961
        • Nov 2012

Originally posted by wkhanna
        With DIY speakers especially, periodic tightening of driver mounting hardware is part of my regular preventative maintenance routine.

Your post is a good reminder for everyone, IMHO.

Glad to hear you got things all sorted out. :T
        Along the lines of reminders, for those that take measurements, be sure to occasionally take them at fairly high listening levels (higher than 80-85SPLdb). This problem didnt show itself until about 90-95SPLdb at the LP

Comment

• ---k---
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2005

Never would have thought...

Some questions to satisfy my curiosity now. Could you hear the distortion or was it only in measurements? Was the screw allowing air to leak and that was the distortion or was it causing a rattling? Do you use a foam gasket or anything and what type of screws/wood?

When my speakers come out of storage this weekend, I'm going to be checking all of them.
          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• jim1961
            • Nov 2012

Originally posted by ---k---

Some questions to satisfy my curiosity now. Could you hear the distortion or was it only in measurements?
            No. But the distortion came into being suddenly around 92SPLdb at the LP. I dont always turn it up that loud.

Was the screw allowing air to leak and that was the distortion or was it causing a rattling?
            A vibration. During slow sweeps, there would just suddenly be extra harmonics once the sweep got to 470hz or so.

Do you use a foam gasket or anything and what type of screws/wood?
            This you would have to ask my brother. He may chime in and tell you. He did the actual build. But this pic may answer your question.

Name:	Jenzen Seas RTR T25 Next 08-19-12.jpg
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	859710

When my speakers come out of storage this weekend, I'm going to be checking all of them.
            Good idea

Comment

• BobEllis
              Super Senior Member
              • Dec 2005

Seems to reinforce the philosophy of giving the drivers a solid mount on a stiff baffle.

I noticed some distortion at higher levels recently. Guess it's time to check the mounting screws. Thanks for this.

Comment

• benthe8track
                • Feb 2008

Could always use one of these guys:

Comment

• sdl2112
                  • Mar 2006

Some questions to satisfy my curiosity now. Could you hear the distortion or was it only in measurements? Was the screw allowing air to leak and that was the distortion or was it causing a rattling? Do you use a foam gasket or anything and what type of screws/wood?

The wood is MDF with Parts-Express barbed inserts as shown in the pic. I used their speaker foam gasket tape as well.

Comment

• ---k---
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Nov 2005

Thanks for the answers.

I usually use wood screws with marine weather stripping (From home depot, next to the regular weather stripping. I think it has better adhesive is all). But I also have a roll of PE gasket tape I use. I usually have the problem that even after taking the screws out, the drive is stuck firm to the weather stripping. I have to pound on the back of the speaker and use a wire hook through the screw hole to try and pull the driver out. A few months back, I was taking my subs apart and had to just prop the sub up face down and let it sit for about five minutes before gravity did it's job and the drive fell out.
                    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Steve Manning
                      • Dec 2006

Thanks for the answers.

I usually use wood screws with marine weather stripping (From home depot, next to the regular weather stripping. I think it has better adhesive is all). But I also have a roll of PE gasket tape I use. I usually have the problem that even after taking the screws out, the drive is stuck firm to the weather stripping. I have to pound on the back of the speaker and use a wire hook through the screw hole to try and pull the driver out. A few months back, I was taking my subs apart and had to just prop the sub up face down and let it sit for about five minutes before gravity did it's job and the drive fell out.
                      Ryan, I found this to work very well, because sooner or later you will need to take a driver out and I've gone though what you described and a few other tricks that did not work very well.

Name:	DSC_0686_resize.JPG
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	859711

Name:	DSC_0690_resize.JPG
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	859712
                      Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• JonMarsh
                        Mad Max Moderator
                        • Aug 2000

And some folks still question or wonder why someone would use LBL bamboo for speaker construction, with it's hugely stiff and well damped behavior, and the way it taps out and locks fasteners in solid... :W

Thanks for keeping the thread up and not deleting- it could certainly be helpful for some others!

Any chance of posting distortion plots from AFTER the fix is in? That would be cool, and educational.
                        the AudioWorx
                        Natalie P
                        M8ta
                        Modula Neo DCC
                        Modula MT XE
                        Modula Xtreme
                        Isiris
                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                        Minerva Monitor
                        Calliope
                        Ardent D

In Development...
                        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                        Obi-Wan
                        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                        Modula PWB
                        Calliope CC Supreme
                        Natalie P Ultra
                        Natalie P Supreme
                        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• jim1961
                          • Nov 2012

Originally posted by JonMarsh

Any chance of posting distortion plots from AFTER the fix is in? That would be cool, and educational.
                          Just for you Jon :lol:

I recreated the same measurement at the same level and mic placement. Only difference is the high distortion (pre-fix) graph has all the stuffing out of the mid cabinet and the new one has the stuffing in (I dont feel like removing all the stuffing again).

Name:	102 mid dis.jpg
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	859714

Name:	102 mid fix.jpg
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	859713

I also put the pointer on the frequency of interest so the distortion numbers at the bottom show the data difference at the frequency where the problem was.
                          Last edited by jim1961; 18 April 2015, 13:34 Saturday.

Comment

• Steve Manning
                            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                            And some folks still question or wonder why someone would use LBL bamboo for speaker construction, with it's hugely stiff and well damped behavior, and the way it taps out and locks fasteners in solid... :W

Thanks for keeping the thread up and not deleting- it could certainly be helpful for some others!

Jon, have you used threaded inserts with LBL? I was wondering how much more difficult, if at all, installing them would be.
                            Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• dar47
                              • Nov 2008

Just as easy as say mdf and would hold the screw type insert better but just a coarse screw in the bamboo facilitates taking drivers out maybe 5 times compared to mdf maybe 2 times. The screws squeak nice and tight.

Comment

• Jonasz
                                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by jim1961
                                Just for you Jon :lol:

I recreated the same measurement at the same level and mic placement. Only difference is the high distortion (pre-fix) graph has all the stuffing out of the mid cabinet and the new one has the stuffing in (I dont feel like removing all the stuffing again).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24035[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24034[/ATTACH]

I also put the pointer on the frequency of interest so the distortion numbers at the bottom show the data difference at the frequency where the problem was.
                                Hi Jim,
                                is the high 3rd order distortion between 1.2-2.2 kHz detectable in listening?

Comment

• jim1961
                                  • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Jonasz
                                  Hi Jim,
                                  is the high 3rd order distortion between 1.2-2.2 kHz detectable in listening?
                                  No. I suppose you would have to take it away to be sure. It is over 50db down, so I am not worried about it.

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"