Tools on a tight budget, the bare essentials and then...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lateapex
    • Jul 2006

Tools on a tight budget, the bare essentials and then...

Welp I'm on a limited budget, have $600 total to split between tools and my first Subwoofer build (other thread). So I'm coming up with a list of the barebones essentials I'll need so I don't cut too far into the sub budget. Just FYI I'm lucky enough to be less than 20 minutes from a Harbor Freight retail location and have 3 or 4 Home Depots within a 10 minute drive.

Here's the list:

HAVE:
    *** Jig saw, circle saw, mitre(spelling?) box, belt sander, tons of sandpaper, files, drills, dremel tool soldering iron... and a truckload of sweet automotive tools that are of no use for working with wood
    - GF says in laws may have a router... but that may be more hassle than its worth.

NEED:
    *** Sawhorses and a strong piece of wood for a work stand should be ok I think.
    I saw some decent sawhorses for cheap at Home Depot that would do the trick

*** Clamps. I'll need a bunch of these I'm sure. should 8-10 do
    Probably get from harbor freight and if the break I'll return / exchange em.
    These two are a little more expensive but seem to have more contact area.
    Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

Cheaper ones

*** Jig blades

*** lung protection. this I absolutely wont skimp on

or http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=44113
    anyone have an opinion if the straps are worth it?

NICE TO HAVE:
    *** Router
    Is this one junk? I know its underpowered but at $40 I don't have that much to lose. But if it would be essentially the same as trying to use my dremel then I'll forget it.
  • topp
    • Dec 2005

A router comes in handy when building a sub. Is it necessary, no. I build quite a few car subs with just a circular saw, jig saw, and drill before I bought one. Now I wouldn't build a box with out them. I use it for about every thing I make. I don't think I would go with HF router. I would get one that at least has a 1/2 collet. Also, I would not limit my self by buying one at just HF or HD. There are a lot of good internet-based stores that have good sales once in a while. What I have found is that buying cheap tools isn't always the cheapest route.

Comment

• yousuredo2
      • Jun 2006

check out amizon.com...
      they have a ton of tools always on sale...
      I have seen the several routers (Retail$200-400) sale for $159 or less their...
      Clamps, bits and evetything else too...

Also if you have a Northern tool, or something simular, they have bit clamp, ect...for dirt cheap...

But remeber you do indeed get what you pay for...(except when it is on SALE...)
      My System
      ~ BenQ w5000 DLP 1080p Projector
      ~ Sony Bravia SXRD KDS-60A3000
      ~ Onkyo tx sr805
      ~ Sony PS.3
      ~ Xbox 360
      ~ Natalie P's Main L/R
      ~ Polk Csi A6 -Center
      ~ Polk RTi6 Rears
      ~ Behringer ep2500
      ~ Behringer Fbq 2496

Comment

• Martyn
        • Feb 2006

In my opinion it's always worth buying a decent router - a couple of horsepower plunge router with a 1/2" bit (assuming that you're going to do any woodworking at all during the rest of your life). A good one will serve you well for a very long time as a hobby tool; a bad one will frustrate you for the same length of time (or until you toss it and buy a good one).

For a work bench, go to your local builders' supply merchants and ask them whether they have any damaged solid-core doors. It usually takes only cosmetic damage to make them unsaleable, so you should be able to find one at a bargain price. They make great bench-tops on top of sawing horses.

The only time I ever buy cheap tools is when I have a problem that must be solved NOW, and I'm prepared to accept that this might be a single-use purchase!

Comment

• cjd
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Dec 2004

Clamps - pipe clamps are versatile and cheap, though not always the best option, on a budget they're hard to beat. ~$100 to $150 here should get you a LOT.

A good circular saw and a sawboard (which you can make) ~$150 for a good one.

A good router - 2+HP and variable speed. ~$160 for a 3+ HP Hitachi seems to be still around.

Huh, lookit that. It's only ~$450.

Maybe a palm sander (I prefer random orbit, but hey). Don't forget router bits - 1/4" spiral upcut is really good to have, maybe a big 45 chamfer bit and a 3/4" roundover. That might be ~$80 from MLCS.

C
          diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• gimpy
            • Sep 2004

lateapex, $600 sounds like a lot of money until you start looking at speaker building/woodworking and tools, then it is not very much.

What are you thinking to start off with, maybe a 50-50 split towards a sub (all depends on what/how big, etc. you are wanting) and tools? For subs, if you haven't already an idea, I would look at the Quatro Pro 15 inch plus 240 watt amp combo that is a pretty hot item on different boards, right now. You can get those two items for about $225 or so, then plus wood (mdf), paint, glue, screws (I recommend "hurricane nuts) etc, another $50 to $70 or so. (I have a 3 cu. ft. sealed version).

I like using H.D. for things you have mentioned. They are around and close and do have a very good exchange policy on their tools (if you don't like it, take it back and exchange it). I understand H.F. is that way, too, but don't have any experience with them returning items.

Look strongly at a plunge, 1/2 inch collet, 2 hp or so router. I would look at the one from Ryobi/HD, the 180pl or something. Can get it for around $100, I think.

This leaves you with about $150-$200 range to play with/buy better/extra tools or maybe better sub.

I can also give you a couple of internet sites for router bits that I have used. Also, if you have the money (in the very near future), look at the Ryobi "BT3100" table saw. It is a discontinued item now at H.D., but can still be found at a $50 or so discount. A nice saw for the money (about $250).

Good luck, Frank

Comment

• cjd
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Dec 2004

Oh boy, I missed that the budget was for both tools and sub.

I also missed a flush-trim bit.

Not being a believer in cheap tools, ever, I guess I'll hold my tongue.

C
              diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• FlashJim
                • Apr 2006

That's a tiny router. I kind of like it. It's about the size of my Bosch Colt, but with a plunge base. I wouldn't use that as my main router.

Get a good used 1.5HP+, preferably something in the 2 1/2HP range. Those are powerful enough to do most anything and still light enough to control.

Better yet, find someone to help out with the woodworking. They already have the tools and knowledge. Most wood geeks love to help people get started. I'd be willing to bet that if you showed a genuine interest, they'd even give you some tools to get started. The people in the hobby are extremely generous.
                Jim

Comment

• Brian Walter
                  • Sep 2005

I think you've already got everything you need except a sawboard or at least a good long scrap of plywood or mdf to use as a straight edge. More or better tools only make the job easier, but you can do it with what you have. Admittedly a couple of pipe clamps would make assembly a lot easier, but if you glue and skew you can get by without clamps.

From a practical stand point I'd say it always pays to buy good tools, but I started off with a $130 table saw and a $20 router (well it was on close out for $20, normally $40), $30 skill saw, $20 jig saw, a few clamps and an electric drill that served me for over 20 years. I was able to finish off my basement, built a dining room set, a microwave stand, a bedroom set for my son and several sets speakers with those tools. I now have much better tools and doing a good job is much easier, but if you take your time you can do a good job with minimal tools.

My suggestion is to start off by buying 4 pipe clamps (pipe lengths as necessary for your speakers) and a couple ratchet tie-downs to rap around your box. Build a sawboard to use with your circular saw and get a decent blade for the saw. I'd also buy a cheap plunge router, I think Ryobi has one for about $100 that should serve you well for many years. Also get a 1/4" up cut spiral bit (for cutting speaker holes) and a 1/2" straight bit and a flush trim bit (bearing on the bottom). If you want to round over the edges of the box, get a 3/8" round over bit with a bottom bearing. If you have money left over consider buying a random orbit sander and a Jasper Jig. You really don't need the router to build a subwoofer box, but it helps to trim up rough saw cuts and trim butt joints smooth. If you decide to build other speakers you will really appreciate the router. I always try to factor in one new tool for every project, eventually you'll have a shop full of tools and no space to build anything. Then it's time for the new shop :-)

Brian Walter

Comment

• Martyn
                    • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Brian Walter
                    I always try to factor in one new tool for every project, eventually you'll have a shop full of tools and no space to build anything. Then it's time for the new shop :-)

Brian Walter
                    Here's a strategic qualification to the above:

I always seem to have an almost infinite list of projects in abeyance. They fall into three broad categories:

(1) Those that simply can't be ignored any longer - these provide excellent reasons for buying almost unlimited quantities of new tools.
                    (2) Those that I really want to do - new tools can be hard to justify.
                    (3) Those that my wife really wants me to do - these provide excellent reasons for buying almost unlimited quantities of new tools.

The problem with (1) is that it delays the execution of (2), thus it is important to buy tools that greatly increase your productivity (fast, reliable, accurate, with minimal set-up time). It's also important that the tools will not be sufficient to achieve (3). Here's why:

Since (1) and (3) inevitably take priority over (2), it's important that you choose projects from List (3) that will require the same new tools as List (2). You can then execute some of your List (2) projects on the grounds that you need to practice with the new tools before committing to the much more important list (3) projects.

Of course, you have to tread carefully and pay great attention to the feedback you're getting, but overall I find that this approach allows me to get some of the List (2) stuff done. It helps if you provide frequent up-dates on the problems you're experiencing - this substantiates the need for "practice" projects prior to embarking on the more important ones.

Have fun

Comment

• oxcartdriver
                      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Martyn
                      (3) Those that my wife really wants me to do - these provide excellent reasons for buying almost unlimited quantities of new tools.
                      How true, how true.

I built the TMWW towers and center channel posted under the completed projects with just a hand circular saw, router/jasper jig, and hand sander.

It can be done with limited tools, but since I bought a table saw for another project (see #3 above) I completed all the cuts for the Modula MTM cabinets in about 1.5 hours (table saw being 4-5 times faster than a hand circular saw).

Comment

• lateapex
                        • Jul 2006

Thanks for all the replies guys been very helpful. I decided to try looking at some used stuff online (craigslist) since I will be able to get some decent stuff and actually found a lot of things available in my area. Even found contractor that is closing up shop and is blowing out MDF, Plywood, and Sonotube. Hopefully I'll find some good deals.

Comment

• opt-e
                          • Nov 2004

Sorry to bring this thread up from the dead, but any opinions on this table saw:

Or is it worth it to spring for a nice Delta one:

Also looking at the Ryobi BTW20R:

Comment

• PoorboyMike
                            • Oct 2005

I played around with that Delta at Lowes and didn't care for the fence at all. I'm sure it wasn't set up right though but it still didn't seem very accurate.

I really like the Ridgid that I have and the portable one uses the same style of fence. You can pick up a reconditioned one for $350 HERE

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"