X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mazeroth
    • Nov 2004

In-ceiling speaker options

My wife and I are closing on our first house tomorrow and I can't wait to get started with the audio! The first project I'm going to do is installing in-ceiling speakers in the bedroom, directly above the bed, trying to create the best stereo image as possible. I'm not sure how easy it's going to be getting a good stereo image from the ceiling but I'm going to give it a shot. Our current bedroom has stereo speakers across the room and I'm not much of a fan of listening 90º off-axis so I'm thinking the ceiling route may be the ticket.

I don't recall seeing any speaker designs for in-ceiling speakers, which would use drivers that are suited for a horizontal configuration. Are there any out there? Is cone sag really a big issue with light cones such as the Dayton RS series?

Another option I have is getting Revel in-ceiling speakers like the IC65 or IC80 seen here:

A friend of mine can get me the IC65s for $200/pair and the IC80s for $250/pair, which is almost 70% off retail pricing. They seem to be pretty good speakers and might be worth it to just buy them instead of trying to build ceiling speakers. Don't get me wrong, I would never, ever purchase a speaker again (except for another pair of Maggies) as I love building them but when it comes to a specialty speaker like this I'm thinking the easy way out might be the best option.

Thanks for any input! :T
  • JaxLax
    • Jul 2007

in wall Nat P's

Comment

• timmay1969
      • Dec 2005

That is a really good friend to have!! Revels are awesome speakers from what I have heard.

Comment

• PaulTjam
        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Mazeroth
        My wife and I are closing on our first house tomorrow and I can't wait to get started with the audio! The first project I'm going to do is installing in-ceiling speakers in the bedroom, directly above the bed, trying to create the best stereo image as possible. I'm not sure how easy it's going to be getting a good stereo image from the ceiling but I'm going to give it a shot. Our current bedroom has stereo speakers across the room and I'm not much of a fan of listening 90º off-axis so I'm thinking the ceiling route may be the ticket.

I don't recall seeing any speaker designs for in-ceiling speakers, which would use drivers that are suited for a horizontal configuration. Are there any out there? Is cone sag really a big issue with light cones such as the Dayton RS series?

Another option I have is getting Revel in-ceiling speakers like the IC65 or IC80 seen here:

A friend of mine can get me the IC65s for $200/pair and the IC80s for $250/pair, which is almost 70% off retail pricing. They seem to be pretty good speakers and might be worth it to just buy them instead of trying to build ceiling speakers. Don't get me wrong, I would never, ever purchase a speaker again (except for another pair of Maggies) as I love building them but when it comes to a specialty speaker like this I'm thinking the easy way out might be the best option.

Thanks for any input! :T
        Just wondering if you have the IC80 installed, how does it sound? Thanks

Comment

• Mazeroth
          • Nov 2004

I haven't done anything yet. Other projects have taken priority and I don't see this one getting done for many months, maybe even into the spring.

Oh, the joys of having to prioritize projects when the significant other is involved! :roll:

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"