X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • c019740
    • Jan 2008

Ceiling Speakers CCM 80's

I'm a new member to this forum but usually look at Agon for most of my info. Anyways, I currently have B&W N804's with Cary Audio Tube amp and Preamps. I like it a lot better than s.s.! Much more base and warmer sound. I use this as a 2 channel only for CDs and TT.

Anyways, I venturing off into building an HT system in the family room. Problem is the room is not very big and I dont want obtrusive speakers all over the place. So I figured I would do 5:1 with ceiling speakers. Most likely do the CCM 80's in the front and center channel. (I have 8 foot ceilings) and do the CCM 65's in the rear. I figure one CCM 80's in the front middle might be a good center channel. I figured a good Integra DTR7.8 would be a good choice to run the HT whilst running my outdoor Bose Freestyles. I figured runing a ASW610xp sub. I really did'nt want to go overboard on the equipment because I plan on refacing my fireplace up to the celing and intalling a Sony W series 46 inch LCD above the mantel. Cant use a center channel because of the size of the mantel plus dont want a big speaker attached to the wall.

Anybody got some input on how to improve this system? any ideas, advise. How have the speakers performed for you? I want the components in the basement so I also need some ideas on universal remotes. I want to just turn on the tv and have everythig running, just want to change the channel and that's about it. DVD will be used sometimes I have an old Sony Progressive Scan that used to be a hot item about 5 years ago. Probably used it 10 times.
    Last edited by c019740; 04 January 2008, 11:30 Friday.
  • rmht
    • Dec 2005

As a design/installer my thoughts

I am constantly battling the form/function issues.

In ceiling fronts and rears are fine. Not optimal but.....

The center is an issue for me, you should look to a FPM I believe they are either three flanking the panel as LRC or at least one placed with panel for the center. They are not deeper than the panel and have a great sound for what they are.

Integra is fine

Not to make this too difficult but back boxes for inwall/inceiling speakers in theaters are a must for me.

Missed the part about a remote, my specialty...

Get a good installer that can do this. Money well spent....your B&W dealer should be able to help you find one.

Comment

• dyazdani
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by rmht
      The center is an issue for me, you should look to a FPM I believe they are either three flanking the panel as LRC or at least one placed with panel for the center. They are not deeper than the panel and have a great sound for what they are.
      I agree. The CCMs are great, but not for the center. My parents have CCM 80s for rears and they work really well. I would see if you could get some B&W in-walls (I assume they still make them) and build them into the fireplace modification.
      Danish

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

If you must do three in-ceiling fronts, I was quite impressed with the CCM-817's. If you don't mind the oval grill that bubbles out a bit, the angled drivers help out a lot.

Comment

• rmht
          • Dec 2005

Also Triad and Jamo make excellent angled baffle inceiling speakers that project out as opposed to straight down.

Bonus.....Triad comes with a retrofitable back box as part of unit

B&W forum I know...

Comment

• dyazdani
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Kevin D
            If you must do three in-ceiling fronts, I was quite impressed with the CCM-817's. If you don't mind the oval grill that bubbles out a bit, the angled drivers help out a lot.

http://bwmedia.keycast.com/download/...l2_w0_h0_1.pdf
            Now I haven't seen those...angled would work well.
            Danish

Comment

• c019740
              • Jan 2008

Thanks everyone. mht, I like your idea about he back-boxes, I would assume this prevents sound waves from eminating through the rafters and upper level rooms. I was thinking about stuffing insulation in the joists.

I'm going to the dealer Sunday so I'll ask and auditon the 817's. I'd like to see them, listen to them....just not to keen about protrusion but certainly seems effective. I dont mind spending a little more on center channel since thats where most of the sound comes from most of the time. I'll check out Jamo and Triad but Im partial to B&W.

Comment

• c019740
                • Jan 2008

I went and took a look a the CCM 817's an those are pretty ugly. I could see them in a dedicated theatre room but not in my family room.

Dealer/installer says back-boxes can only be installed during new construction.

The 80's will be fine for a center channel as the tweeter pivots to my satisfaction.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"