X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Johnny5
    • Feb 2007

Sonotube Sub questions

First off I'm new here to the forum. And I've become interested in making a DIY Sonotube sub. I get the concept of how the sub is built but I have a few questions about a couple of things mainly how to get a correct volume for the tube. I've punched some numbers into a few different programs WinIsd Beta and the Pro Alpha, and Unibox but I'm not really sure what volume of tube I need. I was shooting to find possibly a 24" wide tube to eliminate the height of the tube . The driver I'm interested in using is the DAYTON RSS390HF-4 15" HIGH FIDELITY from PE. The T/S parameters are Specifications: *Power handling: 500 watts RMS/800 watts max *VCdia: 2-1/2" *Le: 1.00 mH *Impedance: 4 ohms *Re: 3.3 ohms *Frequency range: 18 - 800 Hz *Fs: 18 Hz *Magnet weight: 150 oz. *SPL: 90 dB 2.83 V/1m *Vas: 9.55 cu. ft. *Qms: 3.10 *Qes: .49 *Qts: .42 *Xmax: 14mm *Dimensions: A: 15-5/16", B: 14-1/8", C: 6-1/8".

According to WinIsd Beta to tune the box to 17 Hz I need a volume of 18850.2 cubic inches or 308.9 l's with a 6" port 18.5" long

According to WinIsd Alpha to get 17 Hz I need a volume of 648.4 l's with a 6" port and 7.07" long.

I might be punching in some numbers wrong. Thats one of the reasons that I came here because I've been reading a lot of the DIY threads and seen the knowledge that is being shared on the forums and figured this is the place I need to be.

And the second question is what power from an amp should I go for? I was thinking about using a power amp instead of a plate amp. I didn't know if I should match up the power to the RMS value or the Peak Power handling value. I plan on starting the project early summer maybe late spring, right now I am just doing some planning ahead so i know what to expect material wise when I go out and start my project. Thanks in advance for your input and advice
    John
  • Gir
    • Dec 2006

I'll be building a sonosub in the coming months with the exact same driver. I'm going to use a 410 liter enclosure and tune it to ~13hz. For a 17hz tune you should be fine with around 300 liter. With WinISD just play around with the volume size and tuning point and see how it changes the graph.
    -Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Sorry to say but PE doesn't not recommend horizontal mounting for the RSS390HF

This is a good driver if you want something downfiring

Delete WinISD beta from your PC because it's not accurate. WinISD pro or Unibox (recommended) are accurate.

There's nothing gained by using a 6" port with a modest excursion 12" driver, a 4" flared port will work fine.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Johnny5
        • Feb 2007

Thanks for the quick response's. Thanks Thomas for saving me from a potential problem with mounting the driver horizontally. When figuring out the volume do i have to add in for the space that the port is taking up or does that matter at all?

Comment

• WillyD
          • Feb 2006

What Thomas said...and the 15" TC-1000 will be released in the next 5-7 days.

You must take the volume taken up by the port into consideration, yes.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"