Advice on sonotube with a 15" PPI car sub?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cjsmith
    • Nov 2006

Advice on sonotube with a 15" PPI car sub?

I've been reading about the sonotube subs, and I'm wondering if I could build one with a sub that I have lying around. This is an older car audio sub - Precision Power (PPI) Pro 15, flat piston. T/S, that I found from WinISD, are posted below.

One of my concerns is Fs. After plugging into WinISD and pumping up the tube volume and tuning to around 22Hz ... dropoff at 16hz was about -12dB - how would this compare to the other setups?

Any thoughts on whether it would be worth the effort to try and make this thing work or ditch it and go with one of the known good configs?

Qts = .31
    Vas = 108 l
    Fs = 31.0 Hz
    Xmax = .006 m
    Z = 4 ohm
    SPL = 90.51 dB
    Pe = 600W
    BL = 18.73
  • WillyD
    • Feb 2006

I'd be more concerned about the extremely low excursion than the Fs. 6mm is way too low.

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

It's a woofer, trying to make it function as a sub is probably not the best idea

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"