X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eric_C
    • Nov 2006

Array plans?

I currently have a RX-V2600, DefTech 7002's, and the matching $500 center(forget which) and the matching rears, the ones that were 250 a piece.

I have a large room which is perfect for line arrays and I've even demo'd Selah's RS8 in my living room.

I'm trying to make a decision on replacing my current setup with something DIY. I'm very busy during the summer and now with winter here I can start working on a project.

My dilemma is in the cabinets. I tried for MONTHS to get a local CNC shop to do me up some cabinets. They wanted 1K for setup and first set, after that it was material and CNC time which means I could have made the RS8 cabinet for probably about $300 a set.

However I'm getting no luck there and decided to build the cabinets myself. I've picked up all the tools and am just waiting for the circle jig to arrive.

I was pretty set on the Selah's but two things are stopping me. I can understand them not wanting to send out cabinet designs before you pay, but then again I need to know what I am getting myself into before hand. GR Research sent me out plans but no longer sells the unit. Second is the rise in Selah'd price and my additional months of research.

I've seen some amazing work on this site and the DIY site at AVS and think I could do something pretty nice and cheaper than buying a kit from someone else.

Are there any array designs out there? How do they compare to each other?

My room is 20x25x20 and I have room not only for the arrays but for a set of very large subs.

I would say I'm interested in sealed subs for music and I'll just live with them for movies.

I'm completely new except for building a set of BR1's from PE to try out the crossover building and all that.

However I'm patient and don't try to rush things so I'm looking forward to giving this a shot.

I'm also looking for matching rear's and center. I listen to a lot of hi res multichannel audio so the closer I can get to a fuller range speaker in the rear/center the better.

Thanks
  • Jed
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Apr 2005

Have you tried zalytron.com? They have some designs from Orca Design that look interesting, although some are not true line arrays.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Eric_C
      I currently have a RX-V2600, DefTech 7002's, and the matching $500 center(forget which) and the matching rears, the ones that were 250 a piece.

I have a large room which is perfect for line arrays and I've even demo'd Selah's RS8 in my living room.

I'm trying to make a decision on replacing my current setup with something DIY. I'm very busy during the summer and now with winter here I can start working on a project.

My dilemma is in the cabinets. I tried for MONTHS to get a local CNC shop to do me up some cabinets. They wanted 1K for setup and first set, after that it was material and CNC time which means I could have made the RS8 cabinet for probably about $300 a set.

However I'm getting no luck there and decided to build the cabinets myself. I've picked up all the tools and am just waiting for the circle jig to arrive.

I was pretty set on the Selah's but two things are stopping me. I can understand them not wanting to send out cabinet designs before you pay, but then again I need to know what I am getting myself into before hand. GR Research sent me out plans but no longer sells the unit. Second is the rise in Selah'd price and my additional months of research.

I've seen some amazing work on this site and the DIY site at AVS and think I could do something pretty nice and cheaper than buying a kit from someone else.

Are there any array designs out there? How do they compare to each other?

My room is 20x25x20 and I have room not only for the arrays but for a set of very large subs.

I would say I'm interested in sealed subs for music and I'll just live with them for movies.

I'm completely new except for building a set of BR1's from PE to try out the crossover building and all that.

However I'm patient and don't try to rush things so I'm looking forward to giving this a shot.

I'm also looking for matching rear's and center. I listen to a lot of hi res multichannel audio so the closer I can get to a fuller range speaker in the rear/center the better.

Thanks

I don't know of any free DIY line array designs. I worked with Rick about 3 years ago to develop my Omegarrays which are pictured in my avatar. I can tell you that Rick's RS8's woulds be my 1st choice in a line array kit if I were to build a pair today. The RS180's are exceptional drivers in a point source speaker and would be killer in a line array, IMHO. If you add up the parts to build and consider the price increases in crossover components, Rick's kit prices look darn reasonable to me. :T

The only other kit's that I'm aware of besides GR Research would be Raw Acoustics in Canada. I believe Al had some arrays available. Zaltrons designs don't appeal to me. They're some of the early array designs that give line arrays a bad reputation for huge images, bloated sound, etc. Rick's designs are based on Dr. Jim Griffin's research on line arrays and I can tell you from extensive personal experience, none of the issues associated with line arrays are a problem if the array follows Jim's guidelines. My opinion....

HTH

Jim

Comment

• CSS
        • May 2004

Dr Griffin's latest line array is now available as a kit.

Bob

Comment

• gitarretyp
          • Oct 2006

I second Rick's work as my current speaker are his design, but Danny also has two current production line arrays that he's introduced recently, the LS-6 and LS-9. There's lots of info over on Audiocircle. I think they're circa $2k in kit form and av123 will be selling completed version in the near'ish future.

Comment

• Eric_C
            • Nov 2006

Thanks for the reply's.

I liked Jim's stuff but as I get more and more into this I am more motivated to do it a bit more DIY than even Jim's kit.

I have a thing about understanding how things work. No matter what I read I get a far greater idea from doing it myself and understand component comparisons A to B.

When I heard the RS8 it was not under the most ideal circumstances, with proper subs and an amp.

I could not find anything about the newest Griffin Line Array, is this the Linus III that Jim apparently is selling but not on his website?

Last I heard the LS6 and LS9 were still not in production but I'll take a look.

Comment

• Ray Collins
              • Mar 2006

Bob,
              Jim told me that you would be offering a driver kit for his new Line Array using the WR125's and G3i's using a passive crossover. When will you price it?

Ray
              Wine is constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy.
              BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Ray,

Those types of questions are best asked and answered offline.

Thanks

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Eric_C
                  • Nov 2006

I'm sorry I just realized I boo boo'd.

When I said "Jim's stuff" and was referring to him I was talking about Rick.

oops

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Eric,

If you want to duplicate something like the RS8, it's 8 of the Parts Express RS180 midwoofers. I don't know for sure my guess is he's using the Fountek NeoCD2 ribbons.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Rick Craig
                      • Jul 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
                      Eric,

If you want to duplicate something like the RS8, it's 8 of the Parts Express RS180 midwoofers. I don't know for sure my guess is he's using the Fountek NeoCD2 ribbons.
                      Yes, they are the CD2.0M except I apply magic dots to them that improve the rhythm and pace :lol:

Comment

• Rick Craig
                        • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Eric_C
                        Thanks for the reply's.

I liked Jim's stuff but as I get more and more into this I am more motivated to do it a bit more DIY than even Jim's kit.

I have a thing about understanding how things work. No matter what I read I get a far greater idea from doing it myself and understand component comparisons A to B.

When I heard the RS8 it was not under the most ideal circumstances, with proper subs and an amp.

I could not find anything about the newest Griffin Line Array, is this the Linus III that Jim apparently is selling but not on his website?

Last I heard the LS6 and LS9 were still not in production but I'll take a look.
                        I'll be happy to send anyone the cabinet plans - just drop me an email. How much more DIY do you want in comparison to the kit? You could go active and use something like the Behringer or DEQX.

Comment

• Hank
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Jul 2002

Improved rythm and pace - now 'das what I'm talkin' 'bout! ops:
                          Sorry, I could not resist - yes, I'm bad and know I'll regret it. It's late, I've bee up since 4:45AM, so cut me some slack, please.

Comment

• Rick Craig
                            • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Hank
                            Sorry, I could not resist - yes, I'm bad and know I'll regret it. It's late, I've bee up since 4:45AM, so cut me some slack, please.
                            When I see those words in a review I always get a good laugh. :lol:

Comment

• JonMarsh
                              Mad Max Moderator
                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Hank

Yeah, Hank, when you get to be our age, Rythm and pace (regularity?) means something different than it did 20 years ago.... :rofl:

And what are you doing up at 4:45 AM? Emails to some farflung portion of your empire? I've spent much too much time actually working at hours like 3:30 in the morning this last year- I've got to figure out a way to put the kabosh on that. This internationalization of business has gone too far.
                              the AudioWorx
                              Natalie P
                              M8ta
                              Modula Neo DCC
                              Modula MT XE
                              Modula Xtreme
                              Isiris
                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                              Minerva Monitor
                              Calliope
                              Ardent D

In Development...
                              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                              Obi-Wan
                              Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                              Modula PWB
                              Calliope CC Supreme
                              Natalie P Ultra
                              Natalie P Supreme
                              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Xmax BR
                                • Jun 2006

Dears,

After read this paper (Jim Griffin's):

I finished this speaker whith only USD 350,00:

I use in bi-amp mode, plus subwoofer, the sound is very good, hi resolution, excelent image... for classical music, nothing is better

Ps. My english is to bad for write

Tks,

Renato

Comment

• Paul H
                                  • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Xmax BR

Ps. My english is to bad for write

Tks,

Renato

Your english seems fine ..

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"