Tweeter and midrange distortion solved?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Davey
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2003
    • 355

    #1

    Tweeter and midrange distortion solved?

    I'm not sure how many of you read The $ensible Sound, but there's an interesting quote from Glenn Strauss in the latest issue in his review of the Paradigm Studio 100 v.3 speaker system.

    "As far as distortion is concerned. I only measure bass distortion these days, as I have not found midrange and tweeter units these days to distort significantly - the audio industry seems to have resolved that issue for good."

    Just caught my eye.

    Cheers,

    Davey.
  • Scott Simonian
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2004
    • 216

    #2
    as I have not found midrange and tweeter units these days to distort significantly
    "Significantly" seems to be the key word here. Maybe he doesnt do high SPL distortion testing.
    My Sound Splinter 18's each in 25cuft boxes w/ EP2500

    Comment

    • Davey
      Senior Member
      • Jan 2003
      • 355

      #3
      Yeah, I figured "significantly" was kind of a subjective level in his view.

      Anyways, IME the relative distortion levels of different drivers (tweeter, mid, woof) are pretty similar. (At least when driven at nominal levels they would see in normal use.)

      Here are a couple of Seas tweeters I was testing this evening:



      There's definitely some significant distortion there.

      Cheers,

      Davey.
      Last edited by Davey; 29 June 2006, 09:16 Thursday.

      Comment

      • jkrutke
        Senior Member
        • Dec 2005
        • 590

        #4
        You know, I'd expect nothing less that total idiocy from magazine reviewers. The real problem is that most people read that and believe it.

        Good vs Bad

        His statement might be a little more believable if he had said that generally, designers these days are smart enough to use drivers within a bandwidth that their distortion is lower, but unfortunately I don't think that's the case either. (ProAc Response 2.5 anyone?)
        Zaph|Audio

        Comment

        • Mark K
          Senior Member
          • Feb 2002
          • 388

          #5
          As you can imagine, I don't think much of the statement. It's akin to saying, "well, we've got that FR thing beat." If he means that, in the average 2 way with a 1" dome being crossed at 2.5k to a 7" midwoof, distortion isn't that much of a problem. Well, yes, I suppose that's probably(though not always) true. Of course, if you look at the data, you find a lot more going on than that.
          www.audioheuristics.org

          Comment

          Related Topics

          Collapse

          • sisu
            Solved: Tweeter distortion from my almost-finished Modula NeoD CC
            by sisu
            [Edit] The tweeter distortion problem was fixed by moving the RCA inputs to my receiver to the "CD" input, instead of the "Phono" input.

            This is my first time with DIY speaker building, and I have quite enjoyed the ride.

            After researching and talking about...
            25 July 2009, 09:57 Saturday
          • Talisman39
            RSX-1067: Distortion problems without subwoofer?
            by Talisman39
            Hi all-

            I'm considering an RSX-1067 to go with an NHT speaker set-up (Classic Fours in the front, a 3C center, and two in-wall units for the rears). The Fours have plenty of bass and don't need a sub, and the 3C goes down low enough that it could probably classify as a Large. So that...
            15 July 2006, 21:51 Saturday
          • JonMarsh
            OT - CES coming up, hope to do a personal report
            by JonMarsh
            OK, what I mean by "personal report" is that I'm not going there to try to cover all the things that are happening (impossible!) nor most of the things that might be of interest to audio/video holics at HTGuide (don't have that much spare time). What I will be doing is checking out a few things...
            29 December 2005, 13:38 Thursday
          • Zvu
            Low distortion tweeter for MTM
            by Zvu
            Hi guys,

            Inspired by few projects on this forum i started to think about something that would be the ultimate loudspeaker project for me. Project like that should have flat frequency response, good CSD, lowest distortion possible and possibility to be listened in smaller or larger rooms...
            04 December 2016, 06:35 Sunday
          • Mazeroth
            Measured the new Tang Band ceramic tweeter
            by Mazeroth
            I visited Paul K. recently to listen to his fantastic speakers and while I was there picked up a pair of the new Tang Band 25-1744S 25cm ceramic dome tweeters to measure. I figured this would be a great chance to take some measurements with my new ECM8000 that I had calibrated by Kim Girardin. The tweeters...
            27 September 2008, 14:48 Saturday
          • Loading...
          • No more items.
          Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

            Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

            Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"