X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gimpy
    • Sep 2004

mtm's considered full range?

Are the Nat P's/Mod mtm's considered full range speakers? Or do they need a sub for ht listening/viewing? What about for music listening? I've been considering one of these options for quite some time now. I do plan on having a sub with my speakers, although maybe not initially. I've also recently started looking at dawaro's (and others) 3 ways. Whatever I decide will be replacing my kit 281's and 15 in Quatro Pro sub (maybe/probably). Sooo many questions, options and decisions....?

thx, Frank
  • BobEllis
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

Check some of the MLTL options for the NatPs and you'll see that they can be pretty darned close to full range for most music. The maximum output down low is limited, so you have to watch your volume a bit or put up with distortion. Not a bad choice for "before I get a sub" speakers.

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

For HT unless there are multiple 10"s or 12"s in it, there's no 'fullrange' speaker than doesn't benefit from using a sub

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

What Thomas said applies to classical music as well.

C
        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Marzen
          • Jul 2005

I was pleasantly surprised with my Modula mtm's low end range. I was watching Apocolypse Now Redux w/o the subwoofer on, they really sounded good during the explosions. For two channel music they do seem light on the bottom end.
          Ward
          What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Did you build the "PE" sized box version, or the 50 liter version?
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Marzen
              • Jul 2005

Oops - these were a pair of the 1 cu/ft cabs. I only have a single 50L cab.
              I had the volume at a normal level for dialog & was watching the scene where the Col. wants to go surfing. When the choppers fly in playing Wagner it was still fine, but when the air to ground rockets started blowing stuff up it was uncomfortably loud & surprisingly deep. Much more so than I've ever noticed listening while to music. Perhaps the dynamic range in this movie is a lot greater than the usual jazz cd's I listen to.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

The 50 L versions should be better on Jazz, and much better on HT.

Try it, you'll like it. :B
                the AudioWorx
                Natalie P
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Obi-Wan
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Marzen
                  • Jul 2005

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                  The 50 L versions should be better on Jazz, and much better on HT.

Try it, you'll like it. :B
                  That's on my short list to get to. I'm waiting on the Dayton mid dome to come in before I start making more dust; and I've been skulking around some local cabinet shops trying to score some cultured stone scraps for the front baffles. Besides, the work bench is covered with a mess of wiring, thermocouples, & PID's at the moment as I try & implement some bus features in the brewery.

Gimpy - I'd hang on to the Quatro sub until you have a replacement ready. I don't think you're gonna get the same boom factor during movies even with a 3 way.
                  Ward:beer2:

Comment

• gimpy
                    • Sep 2004

Actually Marzen, I would like to. I really like the sub, but the wife thinks it is too big, so I will have to start looking for something smaller. I haven't decided exactly what yet or how much I want to put into it. I'm really starting to re-lean back towards the Modula's mtm's. I had talked myself into trying to build them but then I started looking at three ways. What are the dimensions of a 50 liter and is there a simple formula for figuring it out? I will build my own enclosure, whatever I decide to build. . That's the fun part for me.

Thomas, cjd, I think you're right. I really like the sub. It has added quite a bit over what I had before (8 inch cheap sub). I guess I need to start saving up to start buying stuff. Maybe after taxes (looking to owe a couple thou this year :cry: :M ). Thomas, do you have any suggestions on a relatively inexpensive, smaller sub that sounds like the Quatro? (everything I've built so far has been sealed, but I think that will change with this next project).

thx, Frank

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Thomas, do you have any suggestions on a relatively inexpensive, smaller sub that sounds like the Quatro?
                      Not really 'small' and 'inexpensive' aren't things I tend to follow with regard to subwoofers

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• JonMarsh
                        Mad Max Moderator
                        • Aug 2000

Also, "small" and subwoofers usually doesn't mean "inexpensive"- look at the Sunfire's.

If I had to do something like that, I'd try it with an RS365HF. Anything smaller than a 10" just won't move enough air.
                        the AudioWorx
                        Natalie P
                        M8ta
                        Modula Neo DCC
                        Modula MT XE
                        Modula Xtreme
                        Isiris
                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                        Minerva Monitor
                        Calliope
                        Ardent D

In Development...
                        Obi-Wan
                        Modula PWB
                        Calliope CC Supreme
                        Natalie P Ultra
                        Natalie P Supreme
                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Marzen
                          • Jul 2005

Frank,
                          I'll post that data on the 50L ported version this weekend. I think it was in the neighborhood of 9W x 13.5D x 40ish H. As for your current sub; what about building a larger cabinet for it? Mine was used as a sofa table behind our love seat; or add some faux drawer fronts to it and place it against the wall as a chest, or add some hinges & a latch & you have a decorative chest.

Ward

Comment

• gimpy
                            • Sep 2004

Thomas, thx, I will remember that, but thought I would ask as you are, at least to me, the "one" when it comes to subs.

Marzen, I will be waiting for the info. As far as the other suggestion, I don't think I will be able to talk the wife into something like that, but it is an option I wish I could consider. Sorry.

Jon, I will keep that in mind, actually I was hoping not to go under 12 inches and have already started "trying to convince" my better half that bigger is better when it comes to subs. I can see/feel a little give in her demeanor, so, here's hoping. By the way, I could not find that specific sub in my PE catalog, but did find a couple of others that might be what you have in mind.

Thx, this will take me some time over the next several months as I hope to completely redo my 5.1 system using the Modula mtm's as the basis, along with possibly the mt's for the surrounds. Hopefully by the end of the year.

thx, Frank

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"