X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coconutout
    • Oct 2006

Help me choose a full-range project

having built the statements and one of zeph's mtm in the past, i feel as though i'm ready to take a plunge into the full-range world. however i'm not too sure how satisfied i will be with the lack of bass when my primary listening taste is drum n bass- electronica. a sub could always be an option in the future. having said that, my requirements for the projects are- under $600 in drivers +shipping to china (yes... china...), cabinet size suitable for 15x10, and uh.. oh. thats about it i love the fact that full range drivers are so simple to install provided that the plan is already figured out which is where i'd like your help. right now im leaning toward fostex 167e drivers with the cabinet plan from madisound. 168e is even more interesting but there aren't enough discussion to be found for me to decide if it's a better buy or not. if you think full-range is not the best choice for me simply due to my genre preference, i'm all ears, too.
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

I absolutely think full range is not a good match for your genre preferences.

I think full range is a really fun experiment though. As such, it may be more fun to consider one of the wackier designs - say, a single 3" driver (can you get Hi-Vi locally?) in a horn designed to push its bass performance.

Dennis Murphy's proposed line array of the new Dayton 3" (ex-Aurasound-ish) also sounds really interesting - technically full range but perhaps much better suited to your listening preferences (and more likely to work well with a sub)
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Coconutout
      • Oct 2006

well sir if you say so about the music i'm going to have to change my mind mighty quick. i was hoping to hear that the bass would be somewhat usable but now i'll be turning my head to high efficiency monitors to match my full tube setup. from what i remember my statements had not paired well with a tube amp - too much metallic distortion from tang-band. but ribbon tweeters are always a tempting choice. aurum cantus looks ideal but i'd like to build one and sweat it out- would i be able to buy the parts in china? ...obviously im not in china yet. just waiting and being anxious in a hotel by korean airport.

Comment

• Jed
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Coconutout
        having built the statements and one of zeph's mtm in the past, i feel as though i'm ready to take a plunge into the full-range world. however i'm not too sure how satisfied i will be with the lack of bass when my primary listening taste is drum n bass- electronica. a sub could always be an option in the future. having said that, my requirements for the projects are- under $600 in drivers +shipping to china (yes... china...), cabinet size suitable for 15x10, and uh.. oh. thats about it i love the fact that full range drivers are so simple to install provided that the plan is already figured out which is where i'd like your help. right now im leaning toward fostex 167e drivers with the cabinet plan from madisound. 168e is even more interesting but there aren't enough discussion to be found for me to decide if it's a better buy or not. if you think full-range is not the best choice for me simply due to my genre preference, i'm all ears, too.
        For a full range product you'll need something like the RS270 and even that isn't going to get you down below 25hz in a very large ported box.

Shipping is pretty pricey to china last I checked but it can be done obviously. Just that the shipping budget is almost as expensive as some of the kit pricing. Gotta figure that into the whole package.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"