X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • obsidian231
    • Dec 2010

Q on full range speaker build.

I was going to purchase a speaker set then decided to do a diy setup. I was thinking of designing a 2 or 3 way system with crossovers etc but seemed a lot of work. then i came across single full range speaker setups in what they call bass reflex boxes. This is where my research has brought me too using full range speakers. right now i am just concerned with good mids and highs and will be getting a powered sub also. This is what i have and what i am thinking of doing.......First off i have an older aiwa receiver that outputs 175 watts rms 8 ohms per channel in stereo from 40h-20kh. What i am thinking of doing and would like your input here is using 4 hifonics full range 90h-10kh 8" square speakers rated at 200 watts rms 400 peak. using 2 per side L/R channel. these speakers are fairly new they just came on the market with being the first almost full range high output speaker for the car audio market. These speakers are 8 ohm a piece at 98.5 db sensitivity so i thought 2 in each side wired down from 16 ohm to 8 ohms would work wonderful. The question i have is will it work and what would the problems be if not? I understand that there is another 10k or so in the upper freqs that will be missing but will i really miss it? and when i wire these down for 8 ohm rating for my amp what happens with the wattage rating in each speaker? will each speaker set then handle more rms or less?

http://www.hifonics.comAre your speakers being drowned out by your bass? If so, you need the new Hifonics Triton HF8SQ! The Triton 8" square handles a hefty ...
  • BOBinGA
    • Mar 2009

I'm afraid you are on your own with these speakers. The web site for Hifonics has no specs for the drivers, so we could not even begin to guess what size box you would need or how to tune it. I doubt that anyone else that frequents this forum is familiar with them either. You might try one of the car audio forums and see if anyone there has experience with these drivers and has measured some specs for it.

Sorry,
    Bob
    -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
    My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
    The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

Comment

• obsidian231
      • Dec 2010

Thank you for the reply. I understand and have already emailed the company to see if i can get some kind of specs. I have already tried going through car audio forums and there is not much on these just a few people reviews that are very happy how loud these go that's it. from what i can gather October 2010 was roughly the release date on these so it hasn't been that long of a time. Hoping that i will get a response from them fairly soon and not weeks from now. Do you think these speakers look interesting or should i go towards a different direction?

Comment

• obsidian231
        • Dec 2010

Also what i was thinking unless i am on the wrong page is the reason speakers sound the best in a round enclosure is because they put off circular sound pattern but these are square so thinking they would match a square/rectangle box better for sound. Not sure on this just makes sense to me that it might work that way.

Comment

• numberoneoppa
          • Sep 2009

Two in each side? the whole point of those full range drivers is to be a point source. Also, they're often best in front/rear-loaded horn configuration as opposed to a standard bass reflex cabinet.

edit: Isn't that a car audio brand? I thought you were talking about a true full range driver...
          -Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.

Comment

• obsidian231
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by numberoneoppa
            Two in each side? the whole point of those full range drivers is to be a point source. Also, they're often best in front/rear-loaded horn configuration as opposed to a standard bass reflex cabinet.

edit: Isn't that a car audio brand? I thought you were talking about a true full range driver...
            Yes they are a car brand but think it might be suitable. I am going to get one and play around with it i think before i go all out. maybe just 1 per side like a smaller bookshelf type enclosure. maybe i'll switch receiver to surround down to 120 watts rms x4 and fill my room with sound. not bad for $79 for being able to go that loud if it sounds decent and i'm sure my neighbors will not like me if it is successful.

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Generally speaking it's best to avoid anything but round speakers if one is looking for the best sound quality. Reason being any shape other than round results in uneven pressure/stresses on cone from the suspension. This uneven pressure creates less than optimal (non-linear) cone motion

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• obsidian231
                • Dec 2010

yeah I might be scratching this idea. just got excited when i seen the speaker and my head started going a mile a minute figuring out different possibility's i could do. I guess all it really is a loud mid bass speaker which looks to have a higher excursion than most or a decent guitar speaker really.

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                  • Sep 2009

Originally posted by obsidian231
                  yeah I might be scratching this idea. just got excited when i seen the speaker and my head started going a mile a minute figuring out different possibility's i could do. I guess all it really is a loud mid bass speaker which looks to have a higher excursion than most or a decent guitar speaker really.
                  Happens to all of us. Look around here a bit more and maybe you'll get inspiration enough to do something else.
                  -Josh

Comment

• neuro
                    • Oct 2007

If you are set on a full range speaker, there is the new Parts Express Dayton PS220.
                    Want a second or third opinion about your speaker cabinet design or other audio related problem? Post your question or comment on the Technical Discussion Board. Hundreds of technicians, engineers, and hobbyists, nationwide read and discuss electronics related questions each week. We welcome your participation

If this is your first DIY home audio effort, you will probably get the most happiness for your dollar and effort by picking a proven design. This forum is a great place to look (try the Mission Accomplished sub-forum). You are correct in that designing a 2 or 3-way crossover would be a lot of work, but just assembling an existing crossover is much more a sure thing (and still enough work that you can feel some accomplishment and pride in your creation). You'll blow anything you can purchase out of the water value wise (modulo a great deal on used gear) and you can leverage the design experience of someone who has created many many speakers.

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                      • Sep 2009

I'm thinking about doing a TL with said driver.^
                      -Josh

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"