X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amesrs
    • Mar 2006

A Question For The Cabinet Builders -Help

I plan on building some really nice speaker cabinets for my DIY kit and I want to use some rosewood veneer over an MDF shell. I also want to use some hardwood banding on the cabinet to protect all the corners and use a 3/4" radius for the front baffle. Do I:
    1) Route out the dados in the perimter
    2) install the veneer ((flush trim)
    3) install the banding
    4) flush cut the banding
    5) then route for the 3/4"raduis?

My concern is that I don't want to fray the veneer when it's flush trimmed by my router and I want to minimize any glue stains on the veneer because I will need to to deepen the veneer's color a bit to match the finish on my sub.

Ps: Also looking for some good sources for veneer (and best type to use) that's not rediculously priced. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • PMazz
    • May 2001

Safest way would probably be to make the solid wood stock slightly larger than the rabbet. If you want a 3/4" radius, rough the solid stock 1/32" heavy. Route the final radius and just sand the overhang down to the veneer. You may need to route again. Be careful when glueing and clean off excess glue with a damp rag several times.

Tape-ease
    Premium Natural Wood Veneer 46 in or less. All veneers are natural, raw, unbacked, and sliced, in sequence, from the log. Excellent choice for highly decorative boxes, accessories, instruments, or any project.

Pete
    Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

We keep Pete on retainer so he can answer those questions requiring professional counsel.

Thanks Pete... :T

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• PMazz
        • May 2001

Retainer? I must've missed those payments.

Your package went out Friday BTW.

Pete
        Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• Hank
          Super Senior Member
          • Jul 2002

Pete's right. Go for it and enjoy!

Comment

• amesrs
            • Mar 2006

Thank you Pete for your advice and references. Got a followup.

Can I use a veneer trimmer to flush trim the veneer to the rabbited corners or use a router bit (such as in spiral downcut)? If I do need one, who sells a good quality bit?

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

While I'm nowhere near Pete's class, as far as bits 'n blades are concerned, I'm VERY partial to Freud.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• PMazz
                • May 2001

Originally posted by amesrs
                Thank you Pete for your advice and references. Got a followup.

Can I use a veneer trimmer to flush trim the veneer to the rabbited corners or use a router bit (such as in spiral downcut)? If I do need one, who sells a good quality bit?
                A good router bit will yield a better edge, especially on the cross grain cuts. If you're comfortable with a sharp trimmer, it'll work tho.

Amana makes decent quality bits. Unless you plan to use it a lot, save your money and buy mid-range quality. MLCS is another cheaper alternative.

Eagle

MLCS

Ridge

Tool King

Tools Plus

Pete
                Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• amesrs
                  • Mar 2006

Thank you all for your help. :T

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"