X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • neilmaui
    • Oct 2009

Veneer on mini statements

Afternoon all, just about to look into finishing my mini statements. Looking to veneer and wondered if the iron on paper backed stuff from PE is about the best/ easiest option? I've checked all the posts about paint finish and don't think I want that route. So just thinking an iron on veneer with a nice stain would be the best option but any advice as always is greatly appreciated! Also noted that water based stains don't work well on iron on veneer as it buckles the veneer is that right?
    Just want to make sure that as I've done all the hard work don't want to fall at the last hurdle!

Thanks as always!
    Neil
  • PMazz
    • May 2001

Didn't know PE sold real veneer. My only concern would be the tight rolls. Normally vendors ship them with ~16" roll. I guess if you roll them out and let them acclimate you'd be OK.

Water-based stain would probably be OK since it's paper-backed veneer but I usually make it a rule to not use water on anything wood if I can help it. It'll raise a little grain if nothing else but should be minor.
    Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• Paulie
      • Jul 2008

I found the iron on method very easy. I bought 10 mil paper backed veneer from a local lumber store and used Titebond II.

Comment

• john trials
        • Mar 2009

I got my paper backed veneer here (http://www.veneersupplies.com/) and used the iron method with Titebond II. Worked great. I finished my veneer with pure tung oil, which I wouldn't recommend because it takes forever to dry (more than a week per coat). If I was going to do it again, I'd use some kind of processed tung oil or stain and polyurethane.
        Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

• Hank
          Super Senior Member
          • Jul 2002

I suggest a good veneer species with a grain pattern you like - don't stain it. My favorite has always been Rosewood, but it's gotten quite expensive. I also like the 3D look of Anegre, Makore and Sapelle. My fav source has been Tape-Ease: http://www.tapeease.com/10_mil_%20veneer.htm

Comment

• neilmaui
            • Oct 2009

thanks guys, will get to work and post pix when complete!

Comment

• webfeet
              • Apr 2013

Originally posted by PMazz
              ... but I usually make it a rule to not use water on anything wood if I can help it. It'll raise a little grain if nothing else but should be minor.
              The trick with using water based finishing products on wood is to pre-raise the grain. You simply do this with an old (clean) spray bottle. Spray the wood with water. Let the wood dry and sand the now raised grain. Now it apply your water based product. It may be an extra step to using oil based products but you avoid the harmful oil based products and you can use the much nicer stain products from General.
              this

Comment

• neilmaui
                • Oct 2009

Originally posted by webfeet
                The trick with using water based finishing products on wood is to pre-raise the grain. You simply do this with an old (clean) spray bottle. Spray the wood with water. Let the wood dry and sand the now raised grain. Now it apply your water based product. It may be an extra step to using oil based products but you avoid the harmful oil based products and you can use the much nicer stain products from General.
                awesome thanks webfeet, I'll definately be trying this!

Comment

• neilmaui
                  • Oct 2009

and a useful first post too!

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"