X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brian Bunge
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2001

Dayton Aluminum tower/center pics

I thought I'd share some pics of the towers and center channel that I built for my dad. We built a set of these for a customer last year and my dad liked them so much that he decided he wanted a set for himself as well. These are finished in ribbon mahogany veneer with a high gloss poly.

Special thanks to Curt Campbell from the PE message boards for his XO work!

• JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Look very nice, Brian- I bet your Dad is pleased to have these to listen to! I like the color.

~Jon
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Paul H
      • Feb 2004

Nice job finishing those speakers Brian :T

Paul

Comment

• Rudy Jakubin
        • May 2005

It's like Vince's VHT's;

Different tweet. The Vifa Aluminum.
        Could you post the crossover schematic please?
        I'd like to see how Curt managed to tame all that Aluminum.

You sure do a great job on finishing speaker boxes.

Comment

• Brian Bunge
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2001

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it! We built a couple of cabinets for Tumults with ribbon mahogany and my dad really fell in love with the look. Three coats of linseed oil before the poly really helped bring out the contrast in the ribbon mahogany's colors (a little hard to see in the pics). We were both very happy with the outcome.

Yes, they are basically the VHT's with the Vifa tweeter. I also ported the towers for better bass extension. I'll have to see if I can find the XO schematic again.

Comment

• capslock
            • Dec 2004

You oiled the wood and then applied some sort of polymer lacquer? What exactly is poly coat? Acrylic dispersed in water? Alkyde dissolved in gasolin or iso-paraffine? Polyurethane? CN?

Comment

• Curt C
              • Feb 2005

Very nice looking, Brian!

As epitomized by the great Col. John "Hannibal" Smith: "I love it when a plan comes together."

I've probably still have the schematic on my computer if you don't find it.

C
              Curt's Speaker Design Works

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2001

I applied boiled linseed oil mixed 50/50 with naphtha to help with drying time. I applied one coat with 0000 steel wool, let it sit for 30 minutes, then wiped off the excess. After 10 more minutes I made sure it wasn't still seaping out of the veneer. If so, then wipe off again. If not wait until a full hour is up from the initial coat and apply a second coat, repeating the above steps unitl I have 3-4 coats applied and wiped off. You want to make sure that you have the excess oil wiped off so that you don't see any shiny spots due to the veneer is obviously still wet after the final coat. Once this is done, I let it dry overnight and then start applying wipe on polyurethane until I get the sheen I want.

Quick tip: I use blue shop paper towels to wipe off the excess oil. They work a lot better than standard household paper towels.

Curt, if possible, could you post the schematics for me?

Comment

• dyazdani
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Brian Bunge
                  Quick tip: I use blue shop paper towels to wipe off the excess oil. They work a lot better than standard household paper towels.
                  Linting?

Just wondering as I have more standard paper towels than WalMart. I'm planning to do a similar finish when I finally get time to build some speakers.
                  Danish

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Nov 2001

Yeah, you end up with a lot of lint on the veneer. On my big 3-way towers it didn't seem to stick and would wipe of easily with a tack cloth the next day. But on the next cabinets I oiled, it stuck like crazy and I had to sand it off. So from then on, I only used the blue paper towels without any issues.

Comment

• dyazdani
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Oct 2005

Thought so...thanks. I'll have to go buy some shop towels, too bad as I get the others for free. I'll just have to start spilling stuff so I can use them up.
                      Danish

Comment

• Curt C
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Brian Bunge
                        Curt, if possible, could you post the schematics for me?
                        Sorry for the late reply Brian. I don't get over here too much...
                        The link is below:

C

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!
                        Curt's Speaker Design Works

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"