Peerless XXLS 12" DVC (830837)- replacement for PE Dayton 12" DVC 295-185?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tktran
    • Jan 2005

Peerless XXLS 12" DVC (830837)- replacement for PE Dayton 12" DVC 295-185?

Hello,

I've been modelling the new XXLS series to see which model would be a suitable replacement for the Dayton Audio 12" DVC (PE #295-185). It will be used in my current 1.5cu ft sealed cabinet and 250W (4ohm) plate amp with boost (v. similar to PE #300-796, boost settings are perhaps different)

I've simulated the XXLS 830845 (12", rec. for sealed cabinets) as well as the 830847 (12", dual 8ohm voice coils, with DST recommending a vented cabinet).

However, in the 1.5cu ft cabinet, the 830847 seems to model better than the 830845. I get a Qtc=1 for the 830845, but Q=0.75 for the 30847.

Can anyone here confirm/refute my simulations?

I use Subwoofer Designer 2, and the revelant files are at my website:
  • rnoble
    • Sep 2004

TK the two drivers are so similar you are better of trying to build another type of sub. Sub's are not rocket science and you appear to have the ability, go for a little larger cabinet and perhaps a bigger driver too then all you really have is cabinet work to worry about.

EDIT: The Thor is an interesting project - http://www.linkwitzlab.com/thor-estim.htm

Comment

• tktran
      • Jan 2005

rnoble,

Thanks for your reply. I hadn't considered that, but you are right. There may be only a slight difference in performance- and if I was going to pursue a new subwoofer project, it's worthwhile to get a bigger woofer, cabinet and power.

But the reason for the replacement is not for an upgrade, but because there's some damage to my Dayton driver (my fault). It's very expensive to replace here in Australia (replacement cost US$250), and I'll a quite busy with studies over the next 3 months. I'm looking for something I could just wack into the current box and amp.

Maybe Santa will bring me some nice tools to play with, and I'll have some new drivers (Peerless HDS Exclusive and perhaps the 15" Resolution subwoofer) to make cabinets for.

Comment

• rnoble
        • Sep 2004

Ahh ok, I would go for the peerless then, they're a nice woofer, try WES components for a good supplier their prices are pretty cool if you have a trade account.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"