X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • charliemouse
    • Jun 2007

Dipole (orion) Peerless XXLS qts0.44 vs XLS qts0.17

Hi,
    Any comments on using Peerless XXLS (830843) instead of XLS (830452) in twin dipole (e.g. orion)? I know there are a few dipole builders here.

Whilst retaining a high x-max, XXLS has increased Qts from 0.17 to 0.44. This is still below 0.5, but I'm quite aware SL for example recommends a low Qts. Eg compared to SLS, XLS has a long throw, and its very low Qts can be compensated with severe equalisation. Now the XXLS has a long throw, but additional differentiation comes from XXLS having higher Fs (25 instead of 18.9 for XLS) and a huge Qms(9.03) (why, I don't know).

Clearly I would need to use less equalisation: but this would be an easier speaker to drive, and given it is for music use, very low frequencies are not important. Question being: what disadvantages would I have using XXLS, and would it be a less musical speaker (given crossing to a W22 requires it to perform bass in addition to 'sub' duties)?

Thanks!

[Paul - I'm still going with your Mules Mule like creatures - only I'm going to consider XLS,XLS,W22,M,T,M,W22 and scrap the 26s. Can't use 26s for 'bass' section as Xmax too low: hoping XLS musical far enough up :s. If I'm disappointed (how I wish I had the drivers to try both) I'll use XLSs for sub, and get 4 W26s. In an english scale room(!) I'm also worried the W26s would not perform ideally as speakers may be closer to a wall than ideal] That was a long update. I should PM that really.
  • Paul W
    • Oct 2004

Without sub augmentation below it, I agree the W26 is not the best choice. Also, the 830843 should work fine...though I still favor the Aurasound woofers I mentioned before. If you need to stay with European drivers, consider the 830952 (or the 10" if you run out of space)...looks like it has "better" breakup than the 843.
    Paul
    Paul

Comment

• charliemouse
      • Jun 2007

Fantastic Paul, very much appreciated!
      Nice just to have confirmation from someone experienced that there isn't something crucial I'd missed in selecting those.

I did consider the aluminum XXLS as you metioned: I do like the specs on those... but they only come in 4ohm flavour - so parallelled I'm working with 1.5ohm as zmin, which does make the whole design a lot more picky on amplification.

Comment

• AJINFLA
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by charliemouse
        I did consider the aluminum XXLS as you metioned: I do like the specs on those
        I didn't know those were now available. A search found them here BMM on your side of the pond Chuck. No sight of them yet at Madisound, etc.

cheers,

AJ
        Manufacturer

Comment

• charliemouse
          • Jun 2007

Originally posted by AJINFLA
          I didn't know those were now available. A search found them here BMM on your side of the pond Chuck. No sight of them yet at Madisound, etc.

cheers,

AJ
          Yes, not only are they available (I'll probably annoy someone in their marketing now) - they're presently on holiday for a couple of weeks, but when adding things to a basket, I notice they're giving 10% off on any orders made before they return. Ordering from the states, we can get stung with VAT and import taxes and even silly handling type charges if customs are in a foul mood, so it is quite nice we have something you folks don't I'm sure madisound and suchlike will have a crate full shipped over soon, and no doubt despite present exchange rate you'll have a dollar price matching ours in Euros!

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"