X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Glen
    • Dec 2003

done it myself av stand

Well, I needed to get my gear up off the floor - so I decided to build something to fit my needs. My audio room is a small 12 x 13 spare bedroom in the basement. There's not alot of room, so I wanted it to take up as little floor space as needed. Being I had to do it on the cheap - looks took second place over function. I can not corner place my subwoofer, so I needed to have the stand come over and around it and the center speaker ( placed on top of the sub ). I also didn't want a big boxy thing in the room that would affect the accoustics. I hate having to reach behind units to hookup wiring - so I designed it on wheels so that it could be rolled away from the wall when wiring/tweaking needed to be done. It also had to be strong to support the weight of eveything and be sturdy. I decided to go with an open design using 2x6's. Using some handy hardware from work, I was able to use only bolts to assemble the unit ( no screws or nails ), so I could take it apart easy if ever needed.

Here is the progression of assembly ( sorry for the quality of the pictures, my camera isn't that great ).

Its not finished yet. I still have to put shelves on either side of the TV, and drawers ( for cd's and dvd's) to go on either side of the sub. At least everything up off the floor.

After this, its on to sound proofing the room and adding some acoustic panels inside the room (decorating will be last).

Let me know what you think.
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Well it appears to be very solid 8O Can you pull those speakers out into the room a little? Even a little might help your imaging a lot.

Comment

• Glen
      • Dec 2003

There about a foot from the back wall and 1 1/2 feet from the sides right now. I designed the unit around where I already had them placed ( which is where they sounded best ).

Comment

• Bing Fung
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Aug 2000

Nicely done!

Now if you could make those in bulk, and ship them out 8)

Bing
        Bing

Comment

• Glen
          • Dec 2003

Thanks Bing!

Comment

• Eduardo
            Moderator emeritus
            • Jun 2002

Good job Glen. What are your future plans with the TV? Will you be able to upgrade the design to accommodate a larger TV?

http://home.nc.rr.com/ejimenez

Comment

• Glen
              • Dec 2003

Eduardo.

I built it so I could easily change things around if I needed too. Rather than putting in a larger TV, I hope to someday get my hands on a SE 2HD projector. The width of the unit would allow for a 92" diag pull down screen to be mounted to it. (although I'd have to move the rear wall back to increase the veiwing distance when I do that )

I'd leave the direct view TV there for regular TV. I don't have cable TV, so the 4 channels I can pick up with rabbit ears would look pretty bad on a PJ. The PJ would be just for DVD's (till the kids get older and we get back into cable TV ).

Comment

• John Holmes
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Nicely done Glen. Great job!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
                "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Glen
                  • Dec 2003

Thanks John!

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"