X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gremal
    • Apr 2007

Taking my HT seating in a new direction

I've been using a black leather loveseat that I bought about 12 years ago and it has survived six moves and countless beverage spills and other mishaps. It's grungy and not as supportive of my lower back as it was when I bought it. I've been thinking about replacing it for a while now, but it took me a long time to figure out what direction to take. Don't laugh (this will actually fit in well in my room) but here's what I decided to get.

Part of the reason for getting this is because it lets me get away with a 90+ inch sofa while the backrest is not that long and will not get in the way of my rear wall-mounted surrounds that are actually bookshelf-size width and height, and at ear level. The other issue is my HT space. It's a tiny room. The speakers and most of the components are black. It just felt cramped before. I ordered the sofa in all white, like my carpet to really open up the room and make it feel bigger and more fun to hang out in. Also, the leather gets cold in the winter and hot in the summer. It's uncomfortable. The new sofa is a microfiber material that I think I will like more.

Most HT furniture has an emphasis on armrests and separation from other seats that I find inhibiting and uncomfortable. I like to be able to change positions while I'm watching a long film, and with no armrests and the addition of a good throw pillow or two, this sofa will let me do that. But yeah, just from this photo it does look a bit odd, especially for HT, so I'm expecting some "why would anyone buy that" comments. Too late now--I have been eyeing this for months and it finally was marked down several hundred $$ for the holiday sale. This baby is on its way.
    Integrated 7.1 HT and Two-Channel System
    Pioneer KRP-600M | VAC Phi Beta 110i | to be determined front end
    B&W 802D | B&W HTM1D | B&W ASW-825 | B&W N805 | B&W SCM1
    VPI Scout | Oppo BDP-95 | Tivo Series 3 | Integra DTC-9.8
    Audio Refinement Multi-5 | PS Audio Premier | Goertz and Electra Glide cables
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Wow, tre chic! Looks like it should be in Home Entertainment Magazine! :banana:
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Gremal
      • Apr 2007

Thanks! When I have everything set up in the room, I'll snap some photos.

Comment

• wettou
        Ultra Senior Member
        • May 2006

New chairs:

[img]file:///Users/wettouati/Desktop/img1625_150x150px.jpg[/img]
        Attached Files
        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Gremal
          • Apr 2007

looks comfy!

Comment

• Gremal
            • Apr 2007

I took the afternoon off work because the shipper scheduled my sofa for delivery today after 3:00. Sure enough, the truck showed up around 4:30. The driver looked around at his inventory and announced my shipment wasn't on the truck. :M

I called the shipper and demanded they send it on a different truck, but couldn't get them to budge. Now I need to go to my boss and beg for tomorrow afternoon off, the last time I have to wrap things up before our office shuts down for the holiday. Dammit, what a horrible SNAFU.

Comment

• Gremal
              • Apr 2007

Much better.

Comment

• cdika17
                • Oct 2008

Looks good!
                Chase

---------------------------------------------------
                Rotel RSP-1570, Rotel RMB-1575, B&W N805's, B&W Nautilus HTM2, APC H15, Mitsubishi HC7000 PJ, 110" Carada Brilliant White, SVS PCUltra 13, SVS AS-EQ1 Subwoofer EQ, Wadia 170i transport. Stay tuned, HTPC build coming!

Comment

• Gremal
                  • Apr 2007

Thanks. I just bought a pair of these throw pillows on ebay to function as sofa arms.

As Lebowski would say, they'll really tie the room together.

Comment

• Dmantis
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jun 2004

Is it comfortable??? My wife loves that kind of furniture but to me always seems to be a lack of comfort for cool styling. I'm liking the look but if it's uncomfortable, it's gotta go.

Comment

• Gremal
                      • Apr 2007

I think it's perfect in terms of comfort, but your mileage may vary. The material has some give to it although it is very firm, which is great for my lower back. If you like very soft/squishy sofas that swallow you or give you an upper back and head rest, you will not like this. If I was a big guy or overweight I would consider the sofa too small. The one I bought is Alphaville's "petite" version of Noguchi's original design (below), which I would have bought if I had room.

Comment

• Gremal
                        • Apr 2007

One more shot now that I have daylight.

Comment

• Gremal
                          • Apr 2007

The little throw pillows I got off ebay were trashy but the $20 cost may have been worth it just to realize small geometric design pillows will not work. I looked around and ordered a couple of these.

Really enjoying the sofa!

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"