X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

La Crosse Technology RF switcher

As some will know, all my X-10 modules stopped working when I installed a whole house surge supressor. And unlike Mr Pratt, I'm not a wealthy guy , so I can't afford a Lutron system.

What to do? What to do? ....

On the IB forum a member needed remote switching for their power amp. Someone suggested the La Crosse Technology RS-204U-CS. Now it doesn't offer the flexibility of the Lutron or X-10 systems. This means it doesn't dim or offer hardwired box mounted switching, etc. The remote control simply toggles On/Off whatever device is plugged into the remote outlets. Each remote outlet can handle up to 30 amps or 3600 watts

The unit has an operational range of ~80', it operates on a wireless frequency of 433MHz.

A single remote can operate an unlimited number of outlets on each of 4 separate channels. Multiple remotes can control one or more outlets. Each remote has a master On/Off switch that will control all outlets at once.

Price of admission is $40 for one remote and 2 outlets.

I have one of these systems on order. I'll will update this thread when the unit arrives and I start using it.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson
  • Bent
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2003

Thomas, Leviton makes a whole home surge suppressor that doesn't eat X-10.

the 51120-1 transient surge suppressor isn't supposed to foil X-10.

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Since the whole house surge unit is integrated into the new main breaker panel, what other mfgrs are offering is pretty much a moot point.

Also, long before putting in the new panel with the surge protector, 1/2 of my X-10 units stopped operating. I changed controllers, changed out modules and still no go. I spent hours talking with the tech support people at X-10 and they couldn't diagnose the problem. So after using X-10 products for more than 10yrs I gave up on them

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

For those of us that are X-10 or Lutron impaired, this is a really nice low cost option.

Operation is pretty straight forward. Add batteries to the remote and enter a 4 number code (choices are limited to using a combination of the numbers 1,2,3,4). The remote is now ready to use.

Next plug in one of the receptacles and push the On/Off button on it. That tells it to learn the command from the remote. Push any of the 1-4 "on" buttons from the remote and that receptacle is now locked to 4 number code being broadcast from that remote.

Repeat proceedure for each receptacle being used......

Different remotes can be used in different rooms if those remotes have different number codes. If you want one remote to control multiple outlets there's a command for that as well.

These are so cool, I ordered 2 more .... :wink:

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

And unlike Mr Pratt, I'm not a wealthy guy , so I can't afford a Lutron system.
          :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The Maestro units I use cost less then that unit Still those look like nice units :T

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"