X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

My Rant on Dell

My troubles with my Inspiron 5100 laptop began a few months ago when the CPU was over heating and shutting down the PC. According to the Dell user forum this is a very common issue with this laptop. Anyway since I paid for a 3 year on site warranty Dell sent out a tech to replace the CPU and heatsink. This seemed to fix the issue as my laptop's temp dropped from a max of 77C to temps in the 50's which seemed more normal for a P4 chip. Things were ok for a few weeks then I started to get BSOD's in Windows XP Pro. I tried the usual fix's but kept getting different errors at somewhat random times so I did a reinstall of the OS and thought that would be the end of it....nope no luck. After several more installs and getting no further ahead I called Dell again and this time they replaced the motherboard and ram sodim modual. Since it was a new mobo I did yet another reinstall of XP but it was evident that there was still an issue as the BSOD remained. On top of the OS issues my ethernet port no longer worked on the new board so I called Dell again and complained so they sent the tech back with another motherboard. This one fixed the ethernet port but I can't even do an install of the OS as it BSOD's half way though the install and rebooting it tries to continue but fails again and now will not boot at all (just boots to the BSOD). I've been calling Dell now for over two months trying to get a working laptop and their latest line is that they have to send out a level 2 tech to see what's going on before they can replace it out right (which would have been much cheaper for them and I'd be a happy camper not :M as hell). When they set up the Level 2 tech to come out I was told he'd call within 5 business days...after not hearing anything on day 7 I called and was told he tried to call at 4 the day before and left a message...which is BS since we were home at the time and there's no message on the machine. I'll be calling again on Monday to bitch some more but I'm really getting tired of this run around not to mention having to deal with staff that don't seem to grasp the simple concept of transfering a call properly or even speaking english (they often transfer calls to India which while they're technically proficent communication barriers exist). I actually got transfered to the wrong department 4 times in a row the other day before I just hung up and dialed up the department I needed myself. I won't even start about the "on hold" time I've had to put up with...I think the longest was nearly 1.5 hours before even talking to someone :M

Dell had the oppertunity to make me a believer if they'd simply said that since the first board swap didn't work that they'd just replace it outright. They could have done it sooner given the apparent design flaw surrounding the CPU over heating issue but I'd have been ok with them trying to resolve the issue first...that hasn't happened and its now gone on way to long so this will be my last Dell and given that I frequently recomend systems for friends and co workers Dell will likely loose several systems a year now. Likely nothing they're going to get too worried about but it points to a bigger problem with the way they're doing tech support and that will show up in their sales figures in the not so distant future...actually it already is given they now have dropped to 3rd (last time I looked) in customer satisfaction with IBM and Toshiba ranking above them.
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Dell deserves the rant --

Andrew -

Sorry you've been through Dell Hell. But your experience with Dell and their so-called "support" tracks with what I went through when I had problems with my Dell Inspiron 7000 laptop. Despite having paid for 3 years of "on site service" they never sent anyone out to do anything when its DVD/CD drive cratered. I had to deal with their skeptical telephone and online support people who (to make a very long story fairly short) finally sent me a replacement DVD/CD drive that I had to install myself.

Plus they billed me for the replacement unit in case I didn't return the defective unit to them, along with a really nastily worded threatening letter about how failure to comply with their instructions would not only incur the cost of the drive but would reflect on my credit rating and void any obligation to render future help. Of course if they had sent someone out to replace the drive as they had contracted to do when they charged me extra for the extended warranty, that person could have swapped the units and the defective item would have been in their possession immediately.

They did get the defective unit back and finally agreed it really was defective, but having exercised my warranty once, I apparently hit their support limit. Because when the Inspiron's hard drive started giving me problems, making noises like an aircraft taking off -- so loud that I had to wear headphones to listen to music in the same room (the whine from the hard drive drowned out my Maggies at normal listening volume) -- they gave zero real help even though at the time of my first notification of the problem to them, there were several months to go on the "warranty".

They told me that even though I had paid for an on site service contract/extended warranty, I was on my own to run some diagnostic tests, saying they had to have the results of these "tests" which they emailed me before they could either have someone else look at it or send a replacement hard drive. (Note that they never suggested that a technician would ever make an on site visit to help fix the problem.) It was impossible to comply with their requirement that I use their steps to diagnose the problem because the procedure they sent was for a desk top unit, not a portable. So of course, in addition to the software steps not being applicable, the instructions for visual inspection of the hardware they wanted me to check didn't correspond to what was in my machine either.

They went around and around with this through numerous iterations, always sending another version of the wrong thing, and always keeping me on hold for a seeming eternity before someone would glibly state that all I had to do was follow the checklist they sent me (even though in every case it was the wrong checklist). They managed to drag this out until the warranty had expired and then basically said "too bad -- it's not our problem since the warranty is no longer in force" even though the problem had been identified to them well within the warranty period and it was their own lack of effective response that pushed the problem past the warranty expiration date. I have since replaced the laptop's hard drive with one that works reliably and QUIETLY and you can be sure I didn't buy it from Dell.

I'm with you on NEVER buying another Dell product again myself and steering anyone who asks for a PC recommendation to a different brand. If they keep up this lousy "service" and the word spreads, all the cute and clever ads in the world won't bring pissed off former customers (and all those they influence) back to be fleeced again.

Burke

PS -- the views expressed in this post reflect my personal experience as a dissatisfied customer of the PC manufacturer in question and are NOT an official position of site management nor are they to be construed as a statement of site policy

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

That sounds all to familar Burke :roll:

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

I've never liked Dell. Knowing a few things about PC's myself I always saw their units for what they were and just built my own. A couple years ago while researching a server for my work, I called numerous companies including Dell for information/pricing. Dell was about the least helpful bunch of nitwits and sorriest excuse for customer service I've come across in ANY company. Needless to say I did not used to, don't now and likely never will recomend Dell to anyone.

BTW if either of you are looking for a good lap top, I just got one for our work from futureshop a few months back. An eMachines and it's been fast, quiet and problem free from the get go. Haven't had to deal with eMachines directly at all so I can't say how their customer service is though.

Jason
        Jason

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

Really unfortunate personal experiences there. I'd considered a Dell, but reading this sort of makes me rethink it...

I'm not so sure at the best deal isn't:

pick up a PC with 3-4 year local warranty from Best Buy or such. That way at least you have a real person to scream at. :argue: and no more o this hone: At the end of the warranty period, enjoy it as long as it lasts, then if it breaks, throw away, go get another one with similar warranty... Stick with cheaper PCs too, it's less to throw away. Let's face it, even the cheapest of new PCs or laptops today are capable of doing most jobs we need to do.

Lex
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

We "used" Dull computers for a few years here at work, which was a major headache for me, becuase I couldn't get my aging IBM laptop replaced. Why? Because one of my main accounts is HP, including in Houston, and the last thing you can do at HP is go in with a Dell laptop.

Well, we've had so many problems with Dull computers, especially the laptops, that we're no longer using them any more.

So, maybe I'll get a new work laptop this next fiscal year. My six year old IBM is a little long in the tooth. But of three other guys in our group, two have had their Dull laptops replaced once already- and the only reason the 3rd hasn't, is because he, being the manager, insisted on an IBM laptop instead of a Dull. But IBM's are pretty dull in their own wayl; but at least they work.

You have my condolences...

~jon
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

Yeah, I've used the desktops with pretty good luck at work. I have no laptop experience with them though. It's sad to say, sometimes, it depends who you are what kind of service you get. The University gets Grade A service from Dell, because they don't want us going back to Gateway, that we used previously.

Lex
              Doug

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

at work we've been true blue IBM for a very long time...but recently tried Dell for one year...total disaster and we're back with IBM

Interestingly enough when I got into the office this morning the Dell level 2 tech had left several messages on my work phone which is why I never got them...I don't know why he tried that number since they have my home number of file as my primary contact...but at least he did try to call.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Talked with the Level 2 guy today on the phone and he's sending me a new hard drive to try out since its really the only thing that hasn't been replaced yet. We'll see if that fix's it or not... :stupidpc:

Comment

• Shane Martin
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Apr 2001

It's unfortunate you ran into these issues. My experiences with Dell have been QUITE the opposite. My father bought one(no problems, great support), and my mother bought one(same thing). In both cases, I don't have to be the support anymore because they do a fine job of it already(and the PC's work..).

The other time I called them up and told them my friends' sound card was bad. The next day at 8am the guy showed up with the board and had it working within the 1/2 hour.

Like any big company, not everyone is satisfied in the end =/

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

I think that so long as they work Dell's support isn't that bad. They do generally get parts out to you fast enough so that's not the issue...its just that when things do go wrong they don't seem to have the ability or infrastructure to just replace the PC out right. I was talking with a senior tech yesterday (very nice guy) and he said that its very seldom that they will do a full out right replacement since the warehouse doesn't stock PC's and they have no way of dealing with used systems coming back to them...they'd rather just keep sending out new parts and staff to fix the old unit regardless of how much sense that makes.

I'm supposed to be getting yet another motherboard and a new hard drive today so this really should fix the problem since it'll be pretty much a new PC other then the optical bay and LCD screen...neither of which should be the issue.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Well to continue the saga Dell's tech was out again last night and they installed yet another motherboard. Still got the same errors with the tech there so he called into Dell and guess what they're solution is? Yup you guessed it they're sending a 4th motherboard :roll:

Comment

• Kevin P
                          • Aug 2000

I'm beginning to think it isn't the motherboard... have you swapped the RAM? Did the BSODs start before or after the CPU swap? You might have a bum CPU. Maybe a bad power supply (sounds odd for a laptop but it can happen). Did they swap the hard drive? How about your XP disc? Maybe it's bad? Is it an original or a burned copy?

Maybe if you can get the tech to stay after the swap during your XP install to see if (when?) it crashes again.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

I'm beginning to think it isn't the motherboard...
                            :rofl:

have you swapped the RAM?
                            Yes

Did the BSODs start before or after the CPU swap?
                            No

You might have a bum CPU.
                            Already being replaced.

Maybe a bad power supply (sounds odd for a laptop but it can happen).
                            Doubtful we've gotten the errors on both the battery and PS

Did they swap the hard drive?
                            That's in the mail as we speak. Though the Dell diagnostics says the HHD is fine.

How about your XP disc? Maybe it's bad? Is it an original or a burned copy?
                            Its the original Dell XP disc that's worked fine in past...also got BDOD's with my own XP Pro disc.

Comment

• Azeke
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2003

Just a quick thought, has Dell tried upgrading the BIOS software on the motherboard?

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Kevin P
                                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Andrew
                                Originally posted by Kevin
                                Did the BSODs start before or after the CPU swap?
                                No
                                What I meant is, were you experiencing the BSODs before you had the high-temp CPU replaced? Or did they only start happening with the replacement CPU?
                                Doubtful we've gotten the errors on both the battery and PS
                                Maybe a voltage regulator within the laptop (the part that controls the power coming from either the battery or the AC). I don't know if that's on the MB or a separate piece on the Dells.

Also, have you tried Memtest86?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

Just a quick thought, has Dell tried upgrading the BIOS software on the motherboard?
                                  Yes I've been running either the very latest or the second highest code available.

Kevin it could be the regulator but I think its all integrated onto the board. The memory's being replaced once and I think its slated to be replaced again. As for the errors they started to occur shortly after the first CPU/heatsink was replaced. They then swapped the CPU again and still have the same issues.

Comment

• Lex
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Apr 2001

Geesh, why not just replace the entire laptop and be done with it. :M

Andrew seconds that motion. Dell seems to be "dellbent" on making this thing work even if the case and screen are all that aren't new.

Lex
                                    Doug

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2000

Couldn't agree more Doug...had they done that not only would I be likely to buy another dell product I'd be singing their praise on the forums instead of warning others to stay away!

Got the "new" hard drive tonight..its a fugitsu and a refurb to boot...its replaceing a nice Hitatchi Travelstar that was highly rated :roll:

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

Installed the new hard drive and tried to reinstall XP only to get a BSOD half way though...same old same old :roll:

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2000

I'm typing this message on the laptop having had all the internal parts replaced again this morning. The only item that hadn't been replaced before today was the modem daughter card so maybe that was the culprit...anyway so far its been stable enough to let me install the OS, office, all the updates and NAV so at least for the time being it looks like we're good to go again.

Comment

• JOY DIVISION
                                            • Aug 2004

Dell patches your call to India sometimes just what like Gateway do.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Aug 2000

Yes and that's one of the biggest frustrations...waiting on hold for an hour only to have to hang up b/c you can't understand the guy on the other end of the phone :roll:

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"