X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

XP SP2 now available

THis is the big download....the optimized for Windows update is still coming

If you can download 266MB at a decent speed then go for this one:

It's zooming in at 355 KB/sec from Mickeysoft and takes about 9-10 mins for me.

download, software, update, Microsoft, product, computer, PC, Windows, Office, server, MSN, Live, game, Xbox, security, driver, install, trial, preview, demo, popular

This will be handy to have if you ever need to reload Windows or check out the slipstreaming thread for instructions on how to build an XP SP2 ready CD.

Overview of Windows XP Service Pack 2 Security Technologies
    In Windows XP Service Pack 2, Microsoft is delivering several improved security technologies that help protect customers against malware and other risks to their computer. These technologies are not intended to replace periodic security updates as they are released, but rather to help strengthen Windows XP's overall defenses against malicious attacks.

• Network protection. These security technologies help to provide better protection against network-based attacks, like MSBlaster, through a number of innovations, including enhancements to Windows Firewall and a reduced RPC attack surface. These enhancements include turning on Windows Firewall in default installations of Service Pack 2, closing ports except when they are in use, improving the user interface for configuration, improving application compatibility when Windows Firewall is on, and enhancing enterprise administration of Windows Firewall through Group Policy. The attack surface of the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service is reduced, and you can run RPC objects with reduced credentials. The DCOM infrastructure also has additional access control restrictions to reduce the risk of a successful network attack.

• Memory protection. Some attacks by malicious software leverage software security vulnerabilities that allow too much data to be copied into areas of the computer’s memory. These vulnerabilities are typically referred to as buffer overruns. Although no single technique can completely eliminate this type of vulnerability, Microsoft is employing a number of security technologies to mitigate these attacks from different angles. First, core Windows components have been recompiled with the most recent version of our compiler technology, which provides added protection against buffer overruns. Additionally, Microsoft is working with microprocessor companies to help Windows support hardware-enforced data execution prevention (DEP) on microprocessors that contain the feature. Data execution prevention uses the CPU to mark all memory locations in an application as non-executable, unless the location explicitly contains executable code. This way, when an attacking worm or virus inserts program code into a portion of memory marked for data only, an application or Windows component will not run it.

• E-mail handling. Security technologies help to stop viruses (such as SoBig.F) that spread through e-mail and instant messaging. These technologies include default settings that have enhanced security, improved attachment control using the Attachment Execution Service (AES) API. This results in security and reliability enhancements for communications applications such as Microsoft Outlook, Outlook Express and Windows Messenger. As a result, potentially unsafe attachments that are sent through e-mail and instant messages are isolated so that they are less likely to affect other parts of the system.

• Browsing security. Security technologies that are delivered in Microsoft Internet Explorer provide improved protection against malicious content on the Web. One enhancement includes locking down the Local Machine zone to help prevent the running of malicious scripts and fortifying against harmful Web downloads. Additionally, better user controls and user interfaces are provided that help prevent malicious ActiveX® controls and spyware from running on customers’ systems without their knowledge and consent.

• Computer maintenance. A very important part of any security plan is keeping computers updated with the latest software and security updates and understanding the role they play in protecting your computer. Ensuring that you have current knowledge of security attacks and trends is also important. For example, some software updates that mitigated known viruses and worms were available days or weeks before any significant attacks began. New technologies are being added to help the end user stay up-to-date. These technologies include Security Center, which provides a central location for information about the security of your computer, and Windows Installer, which provides more security options for software installation.

Click download and go for coffee. :coffee:
    Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

Thanks Gordon.

Here is some additional information for perusal:

XP Service Pack 2

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I'm running it on my laptop. It's a much more 'finished' product than that of just a few months ago.

If people are going to try it; I suggest doing a complete system backup/image, just in case there are problems.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Gordon Moore
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Feb 2002

With the myriad of issues that people seem to be experiencing AND Microsoft's reluctance to release it to Windows Update still.....I'd say the general consensus is to HOLD OFF until it reaches Windows Update.

Mind you....many of the issues appear to be with the firewall being turned on be default and the necessity to open ports, something the average or beginner will not understand.

Microsoft support is here to help you with Microsoft products. Find how-to articles, videos, and training for Microsoft Copilot, Microsoft 365, Windows, Surface, and more.

and

Microsoft support is here to help you with Microsoft products. Find how-to articles, videos, and training for Microsoft Copilot, Microsoft 365, Windows, Surface, and more.

Answer alot of what a person needs to know.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I installed it on my laptop the other day knowing full well that I'd have to do a clean reinstall anyway (damn thing is hardware issues so its getting yet another motherboard which always means a fresh install for me)...anyway I was curious what it looked like so I went and did the install. One thing that's good and bad is that its constantly prompting you to fix "errors" that it sees if you have the firewall off or no AV software running. Also I think there's still an issue with NAV8 and 2003 not working with SP2 so that could be a problem for me when (if) I get my laptop up and going again

Comment

• Azeke
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2003

Andrew,

I am currently running NAV 8.0.1.425 and I have not experienced any issues at this time.

FYI, I ran the Disk defrag after the patches were installed and Norton Win Doctor v2004.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

It continues to run fine for me.

I received a warning when starting up Nero 6.0 that there were some compatibility issues. I ignored the warning, the program ran fine

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Good to know Azeke

Comment

• David Meek
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

I'm using SBCGlobal (wireless) as my ISP and they sent out a note warning about performance reduction being a possibility due to internal issues when "upgrading" to SP2. I think I'll wait on it to be Windows Update-ready before I dive in.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

How important is it to install this?
                    Do I need it?
                    Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Kevin P
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Trevor Schell
                      Do I need it?
                      It's mainly security enhancements. In particular, it contains a superior firewall (though still not as good as ZoneAlarm), additional security features in IE and OE such as pop-up blocking, and a Security Center that can be set up to monitor your firewall and anti-virus to ensure it's running and stays up to date.

Eventually you should install it, but I'd wait a little bit and surf around to see if anyone else is having issues with whatever software you're using.

BTW... you can now order SP2 on CD from Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...s/default.mspx

This is useful if you need to update several computers, or are on a dial-up connection (or are updating those who are on dial up connections). I ordered mine already.

Comment

• robertwb70
                        • Oct 2003

I just installed it and I got problems-the big one is no PDFs will work now-not from the web or the ones I have on my HD-also had some issues with outlook and firefox "not responding" errors...lots of them-I added another 512 of RAM(I had 512 already installed) and most of these errors went away-(I've only had it 3 days so I don't know how many more problems remain to be found)but the PDF problem remains-I'm coresponding with MS customer service to try and fix it

and I had some residual parts of windows remaining on the desktop after closing anything that the extra RAM seems to have fixed

so I'm thinking that SP2 makes XP even more of a memory hog...oh well the extra memory improved everything -I should have done it long before now anyway
                        =+=+=+=+=+=+=
                        "The appreciation of music is subjective.The reproduction of music isn't."-Bill Dudleston

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

No problems with PDF's on my machine since installing SP2..though I installed SP2 before installing the adobe software so maybe that's the answer?...and I've got 768 megs of ram :B

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Feb 2002

Originally posted by Trevor Schell
                            Do I need it?
                            In 8 months Zeig-heil-o-soft will decide that for you. Everyone will be upgraded to SP2 whether they want it or not....you won't be able to opt out....nice eh' :roll:

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"