X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

stupid laptop vid question

Ok, if you have an XGA or SXGA display, what does that mean in terms of pixel resolution? Both are TFT now, I presume.

Also, if you have a 32 mb or 64 mb ddr NVIDIA GeForce Go5200 AGP 4x Graphics option, will it make any difference to have 64 mb option with XGA? Or will you only realize a difference with SXGA?

I'm looking at a Dell 5150 laptop, and trying to determine what the option differences make on video. I don't want to drive the price up, but I'd still like to have a decent machine.

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

XGA is 640x480 or 1024x768 with up to 65,535 colors (IBM standard, I'm sure newer XGA laptops support 16.7 million colors).

SXGA is 1280x1024. I'd go SXGA over XGA.

To display 1024x768 w/16.7 million colors (XGA), you need approximately 2.4 megabytes of video RAM. In SXGA, you need approximately 4 megabytes. 32 or 64 MB video RAM allows multiple video pages or layers to be loaded simultaneously, which improves performance in gaming and other motion-video intensive operations.

My 3 year old Dell has SXGA and (I think) 32 MB on an ATI card. It works great and looks great, but I'm not a gamer.

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Doesn't Dell only do Pentium processors?! :naughty:

Jason
      Jason

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by aud19
        Doesn't Dell only do Pentium processors?! :naughty:
        What does that have to do with video specs? :

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Hey, let's hear it for WIDE XGA (1280X768/800) and AMD processors!

Wooooooo Woooooooo!

~Jon

Hmmmm, someone must have spiked my soda at lunch time....
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by JonMarsh
            Hey, let's hear it for WIDE XGA (1280X768/800) and AMD processors!

Wooooooo Woooooooo!

~Jon

Hmmmm, someone must have spiked my soda at lunch time....
            Hell ya :T (on both comments ) :lol:

Jason
            Jason

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Doug for what its worth I have the Dell 5100 with the 1024 screen and like it a lot. Sure higher resolution and widescreen would be cool but for me they aren't needed since i just plug in my CRT display and run it as an extended desktop at any resolution I like (which is handy for testing websites)

The 5150 is more or less the same laptop as mine only with the upgraded video card. I'd recomend buying a single stick of 256 ram and then adding some 3rd party 512 meg stick afterwards to keep costs down. Also spring for the internal Wi-Fi card and you'll be good to go.

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Doug, Dell's website has pixel specs for resolutions if you look at the details. I just bought my 9100 with WSXGA+, which is 1280 by 1050, or something like that. It's plenty fine for resolution, even though I could have gone one step higher to WUXGA and ensured full 1080i/1080p compatability. But on a small screen like that (15.4" for me) that's not completely necessary.

For me, the important thing is that the 9100 has a DVI output, and the ATI video card can support two monitors, so I can set the resolution to WHATEVER I want on the DVI to send to my theater projector, even more than the laptop screen capabilities.
                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                - Pleasantville

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

Doh, well, I don't even try to keep up anymore, that's pretty obvious. I think I had a brain fart, about XGA, SXGA, but at any rate, am really only looking for a decent laptop for casual use. I don't plan to launch any rockets, or even look at any blastoffs in HGTV. I have a Plasma HD capable set, and 2 projectors, and don't do much traveling, so I'm really good on portable DVD. I have a Sony Picturebook that does a just fine job with DVD, and has the advantage of a separate DVD unit for holding heat down.

Anyway, I just need a surfing machine, as my daughter it seems is taking over my Sony I bought a year or so ago. Sigh, lol.

Well, for a laptop, as long as it's a good processor, It's fine. a Pentium 4 is just fine with me for a laptop. Dell has the advantage that I get 5% off their higher ed sales prices, or 10% off sale prices with 3-4 year warranty. Not to bad really. I've never owned a Dell, but am not really all that hip on any other brand anyway. Sony is ok to me, not an HP fan anymore really.

Andrew, I am not even certain if the internal wireless are all compatible with each other. I have linksys, and don't plan to change the base unit.

Lex
                  Doug

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

...am really only looking for a decent laptop for casual use. I don't plan to launch any rockets, or even look at any blastoffs in HGTV
                    Blah, blah, blah. Nevermind all that... :B

Doug, this is your laptop buddy!

Find the latest drivers, downloads, and help for all your Gateway, Packard Bell, and eMachines products.

The Road Warrior
                    Slim, trim, stylish and gloriously mobile, the M6809 notebook has a passion for excellence and goes above and beyond the basics. Featuring the most advanced, fastest PC processor for notebook computing, the Mobile AMD Athlon™ 64 processor, it's built with your current needs in mind: personal computing, DVD movies, games, digital photography and other demanding 32-bit multimedia applications. And it's ready for the next generation of 64-bit software applications. eMachines is proud to be the first major PC company to offer this leading-edge technology. You'll also be able to access the Web at all the hotspots worldwide with 54g™ wireless LAN. Other features include: 512 MB memory, 80 GB hard drive, ATi 9600 Graphics card, 6-in-1 digital media manager, DVD +/- RW drive and an ultra-wide 15.4" screen - all backed by eMachine's world-class support. For the ultimate in power, performance, graphics and connectivity, choose the road-ready M6809. Take it anywhere and everywhere
                    Jason
                    Jason

Comment

• Lex
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Apr 2001

That is a nice box for the money Jason. Hmmm, e-machines. I remember the el cheapo pos machines they made, that sticks in my mind. Not sure I could get past that to buy one of their products now. Maybe. They do put on a good presentation for the web site. Very professional, and the laptop certainly a contender for power and capability with that box. Just about any Dell you add anything onto at all is 12-1500.

Lex
                      Doug

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"