X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill Blank
    • Sep 2002

Pronto TSU300 vs. Harmony SST-659

I'm trying to decide on a universal remote that's easy to program, easy to use, and doesn't break the bank but controls everything I want it to the way I want it to. Does anyone out there have experience using either of these remotes with their Rotel gear, particularly the Harmony? I'd like to save money and get the half-priced Harmony if it will do everything I need it to.

Thanks,
    Bill

Rotel RSP-1066
    Rotel RMB-1075
    Rega Planet 2000
    Denon DVD-2900
    Mitsubishi WS-55411
    Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v3
    Paradigm Reference Studio CC-470 v3
    Paradigm Reference Studio 20 v3
    Velodyne CT-120
  • Jeff Hartford
    • Jul 2003

Bill-

I just bought the 659 and am excited about all I read. I have had some trouble setting it up, likely because I am a tard. But also the setup menu (you can do it before you buy) is sort of quirky. I have the RSP-985 and the RMB-1095. The problem is my amp is a couple years old and does not have a 12 V trigger, so it cannot be switched with the remote. I also have an NHT for BIamping with the same problem. I will get around this by buying a "power conditioner" than is switched and triggered. My previous thoughts on those units was in the same vein as chiropractors (sorry to the faithful), but I will be using it more for control, and if there is a sonic benefit, gravy.

I cannot comment on the other unit, but all I have come across suggests the harmony is an excellent unit, and their customer service gets raves. How's that for a useless response?

Jeff

BTW- I also have the 2900 but have an Epson TW100- all of which the Harmony supposedly handles with superior convenience and ease

Comment

• DSGCobra
      • Feb 2003

Stay very far away from the TSU-3000. I upgraded to that from a TSU-1000 about 6 months ago. Nothing but problems, very hard to program, it even has a hard time holding a program. I have spent countless nights going over and over the program, usually resulting in only about half of the functions working. I have sense picked up a TSU-6000 and love every thing about it. I have the TSU-3000 in the box in the closit and wouldn't even sell it to someone I didn't like.

RSP-1098
      RMB-1095
      RDV-1080
      Energy C-9
      Energy Vertias V2.0C
      Energy C-3
      Paradigm PS-1200
      Audioquest everything.

Comment

• ejfiii
        • May 2003

I use the Home Theater Master MX800. Cant imagine using a different remote. Its literally the most useful piece of gear I own. The customization available using my computer to program it is incredible. Harmony is very limited in its programming since you have to use their templates and webistes. HTM lets you do whatever you want since the actual program resides on your computer.

www.hometheatermaster.com

E. J.

My HT
        My HT

Comment

• Dmantis
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jun 2004

Shame about the tsu300 huh.I own it as well.I own the Tsu100 and love it more and more I try to get the Tsu300 to work.I have reprogrammed it 3 times and it works when it wants 2.I have it controling my theater gear as well as an array of Lutron Spacer system lighting controls.the tsu1000 I program once and it's set in stone.I buy new gear I replace the codes and awy it work flawlessly.

The MX800 is another remote I feel is really good.It's RF is really good.I feel it's much better then the Prontos RF.I did a job just Friday with the Rf Mx800 and it works over 100 feet outside by the pool.Killer the Pronto RF has problems working in the same room.Sometimes it works and other it don't.

Philips lost it a bit with this next generation of Prontos.It all started with the tsu500 and went down hill from there.

I owuld go for a Mx800.It's probably the best under a grand remote on the market.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

As a custom programmer for pronto remotes I have to agree with the comments above that the current 3000 and 7000 units aren't very good at the moment. They have oodles of potential but the software just isn't very stable or finished for me to recomend them. I do however feel that the 1000,2000 and 6000 units are awesom and given the prices you can find the 1000 and 2000 for on the used market they're an incredible bargin. I have two 1000's units in my home that have served me well for years and I'd be lost without them given the ability to run the CD cataloging software (SNL) on them which gives me one click access to any CD in my jukebox.

Comment

• Dmantis
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jun 2004

Andrew,
              I'm as well a Pronto Programmer for 4 1/2 years now.It's a shame about the 3 and 7 thousand.Cool new tricks like the back button ability.This allows me to jump to my Lutron page to make any adjustments in the light of the room and jump right back to wherever I was.I love that feature.But the fact remains yes I agree it's so unstable.I have programmed 100's of them and I have had to return to fix it.Sometimes 2 to 3 times.Today they are the best they have been since there release date,but still not up the standard set by the orignal....Maybe one day they will get it right.I hope so.

Dan

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Great to see a fellow programmer on board and someone else I can refer people to when I'm swamped:T

This allows me to jump to my Lutron page to make any adjustments in the light of the room and jump right back to wherever I was.I love that feature.
                What I do to get around that on the TSU1000 is I put the power macro's and Lurtron on the Macro side and the rest of the gear on the devices side. That way its very easy to toggle back and forth between the two. That and I use tab's a lot so there's a jump to the lights page on each device so its easy to get to that page...and to get back you just need to tap the devices side.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Oct 2003

Bill,

I have the TSU-3000 and with the latest firmware and editor it is still a bitch to program - but way way better than before...

It is also remarkably flexible. www.remotecentral.com has lots of templates for it that do most of the work... But you do need a lot of time to get used to it's quirks..

That asside - Now that is programmed- I love it and so do my family... It controls all my Rotel gear etc.

It's the first few days / weeks that are tought to understand just what the thing is trying to do... (The scarily - it becomes natural...)

No doubt though - if I was short of time - I would go do a second hand TSU-1000 or TSU-2000 - the predefined interface (while more fixed) is easier to get up and running...

Geoff

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

I have a client using a CRT projector that the 7000 refuses to work with even though his 6000 is perfectly fine with it. It seems the newer remotes can't handle the upper freq's that some remotes use. Philips has said they're going to look into it but its been several months now and still no solution :M

Comment

• Dmantis
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jun 2004

The Mx800 by Theater master is a really nice alternative to the pronto.I'm gonna pick on up for myself.

The Tsu1000 yes is so flexable and rock solid.

Comment

• Kingdaddy
                        • Jan 2004

I like the Pronto TSU2000 and SNL to operate my CD jukebox as well, but I have mine modified and broken down to song level so i can use my 400 disc CD changer like a real jukebox. By using one of Lyndel Mcgee's "Track" command and adding the Sony Program button and a few other’s to the Alphabet page, I can go through the list of songs touching one at a time, which adds them to the play list. At any time during the creation of the play-list you can start playback of the list and still add songs while playing (up to 32 songs or discs), 3 lists can be saved at a time so that’s up to 96 songs or discs, very cool, has changed my music listening habits for the better. This works with the TSU2000 and any newer Sony Mega Changer, the TSU1000 wont have enough memory to do more then 100 discs, I have about 300 CD broken down on my TSU2000 and there is still room, however the emulator wont run when you fill it up that much, so you just have to test it the hard way.
                        My Center Channel Project

Comment

• SayersWeb
                          • Dec 2002

Tsu-3000

You guys have me worried! I just ordered a TSU-3000 to replace a TSU-1000. :cry:

The dedicated hard buttons for the direction pad were the main reason for purchasing the TSU-3000. I cannot comfortably use the TSU-1000 with my DVR. The directional pad takes up too much real estate on the small screen.

Fingers crossed that it will work ok for my application.... :stupidpc:
                          Sayer - Musical Creations and Home Page

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Good luck :W

Comment

• Blazar
                              • Feb 2004

I've had extensive experience with the first Pronto remote. Great device and still does everything you can imagine.

At this point however, I am leaning towards making my next remote a Home Theater Master like some of the others above. A LOT can be said for not having to look at the remore in order to use it.

A good point was made earlier about Jukebox changers... The pronto can be very useful if you want to be hardcore about programming your discs into the remote. Realistically though, you could just use the sony juke "Group" function to do most of the navigation. THis would allow you to easily use an HTM remote like the mx-800
                              Blazar!
                              (HTPC/Panasonic SA-XR55/B&W 802D/HTM-1/SCMS)

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

I have all my CD's grouped in to one of 8 groups and we do utilize the random playback within a group a lot...but where SNL shines is the ability to get access to a single CD by name...you just can't do that on any other remote at this time.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"