X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Matt Broeska
    • Nov 2000

sega's holographic arcade game

now someone has to remember this! i'm trying to convince my coworkers that sega had an arcade game in the early 90's which was a small table top with a dome back. projected on the table top was the video game and it was all holographic. you were a cowboy i believe and you traveled through time for some reason or other. i told the guys i work with about this and they look like they're giving me the benefit of the doubt, but i know they really don't beleive me.

does anyone know what this game is called? any idea where i can find info about this on the net? couldja supply a link if you do know where there are pictures or info on the net?

thanks in advance...
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
  • Joey Millison
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Here you go Matt, just so they don't think you're going crazy, here's some proof I remember exactly what you're talking about:

Time Traveler, Sega, 1991. Developed by Rick Dyer, Time Traveler was the first of two "Hologram" games that Sega produced. The game characters appeared to be holographically projected onto the playing area. Time Traveler contained a laser disc player and a T.V. monitor that was aimed into a curved mirror. The 2-D image was reflected through the surface glass and produced an illusion of depth. The images seemed to have dimension, but the game didn't truly produce holograms.
    Screenshots:
    Picture 1
    Picture 2
    Picture 3
    Picture 4
    Picture 5
    Picture 6
    Picture 7

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Matt and Joey,
      This brought back some great memories. I was really shocked that anyone else recalled the exsitance of this ultra cool for it's time game. Thanks!8)

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• SiliGoose
        • Aug 2000

Joey to the rescue! Nice find. Do you keep that pic on your HD or did you locate it on the net?

There was a one-on-one fighting game that used this "holographic" technology as well. Unfortunately, both games were...shall we say, NOT VERY GOOD.

Certainly brings back memories though. Remember when games in the home could never match the graphic quality of those in the arcade? The only reason I go to Dave & Busters is for the beer...and the women, of course.

-Sili
        www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Joey Millison
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Sili,
          I have to admit, I went lookin' for it But it was pretty easy to find
          I remember playing this game, it had controls a lot like Dragon's Lair (another game that, in it's time, amazed SO many people), to where you would react by moving left, right, etc, when prompted.
          There was a COOL ass game that I can't remember either...you were a Ninja, and the game's screen was three screens combined lengthwise, and as you took damaged you looked more like a robot. Can't remember the game, I but I remember spending a fair share of my allowance on that sucker

Comment

• P-Dub
            Office Moderator
            • Aug 2000

I remember this game, nice find Joey. Never did play it as I thought it looked pretty lame.

I do recall playing something that was a fighter/bomer type game with realistic type terrain and stuff.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
            Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Matt Broeska
              • Nov 2000

joey you rule! i knew i wasn't crazy! thanks so much.

Comment

• Matt Broeska
                • Nov 2000

actually, i just found one on ebay right here.

only 5 days left inthe auction...

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"