X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trevor Schell
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Spyware Removal Tips/Tools

Unfortunately , my computer is being lambasted with spyware.
    It was recommended to download Adaware which I did.
    However it won't install for me!
    Anyway to get around this.
    I know Kevin will have a solution...;x(

Trevor
    My HomeTheater S.E.
    Sonically Enhanced
    C5
    Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Here's a couple other tools to try:

CWShredder: Download here or from here

Run that, and see if it finds anything. After doing that, try:

AdAware
    Spybot Search & Destroy
    Note that both these programs have online updaters you have to run to update the signatures before you run a scan. Run the scan and let them clean whatever they find.

Then, download and run Hijack This from here, or from here. (Edit, 1st link isn't working right now, but 2nd one is.) Copy it into a folder and then run a scan, and post the results here. I can tell you what else can be removed.

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
    My HT Site

Comment

• Trevor Schell
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Thanks Kevin,,
      I downloaded CW shredder and it found three files to fix..
      I tried Adare, still no go.
      I just downloaded SpyBot , ran a check and found 100 threats.
      They are cleaned up now.
      So I will try Adaware again to see if it takes.
      Tucows is were I had originally downloaded Adaware.
      Basically when I open it, the Blue initilzing box would come up , them disappear immediately , with nothing else happening,,Like it was finished or something.

Trevor
      My HomeTheater S.E.
      Sonically Enhanced
      C5
      Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Trevor Schell
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

funny,,,I still can't download Adaware..:huh:

Trevor
        My HomeTheater S.E.
        Sonically Enhanced
        C5
        Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Kevin P
          • Aug 2000

What version of AdAware do you have? The current is 6.181, I suggest you try downloading and running it. Older versions had some issues removing certain types of spyware.

If you still can't run AdAware, post the Hijack This log like I asked, and then we can see what else is lurking on there.

My HT Site

Comment

• Trevor Schell
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Kevin,,Your Runhijak link is not working, takes me somewhere else.

I don't have Adaware downloaded yet.
            I tried it from the link you gave me.

Trevor
            My HomeTheater S.E.
            Sonically Enhanced
            C5
            Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Kevin P
              • Aug 2000

Try this link for Hijack This. This one works fine.

My HT Site

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Excellent..
                I downloaded Adaware to a file.
                Then tried opening it.
                Previously I was opening it while on line.
                Anyways, I would get the same thing..Initializing
                and it would go blank and nothing would happen.

I clicked agressively on the icon,,about 4 consecutive ckicks, like a madman.
                It opened and installed,,Weird..
                Anyways, I ran a scan and it found 105 problems,,cleaned them up.
                I ran an update which downloaded.
                Ran adaware again and it found 66 more problems,,cleaned them up .

After Spybots, which I now deleted, I also downloaded SpyKiller 2004,
                which I now deleted.
                I have to say that AdAware sure has a nice interface and reminds me of Nortons in feeling confident that it is getting the job done! :yesnod:
                Very nice program for sure. :T

Trevor
                My HomeTheater S.E.
                Sonically Enhanced
                C5
                Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Kevin P
                  • Aug 2000

Cool! You should keep both AdAware and Spybot, as they complement each other well. In most cases, if Adaware misses something Spybot will catch it and vice versa.

Make sure to run the Hijack This and post the log just to make sure there aren't any more lingering bad guys on your 'puter.

KJP

My HT Site

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

OK,,I am going to run it.

Trevor
                    My HomeTheater S.E.
                    Sonically Enhanced
                    C5
                    Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Done!!

Thanks Kevin!!
                      You have been a tremendious help!! :T

Outstanding if I may say so!!!

:banana:

Trevor
                      My HomeTheater S.E.
                      Sonically Enhanced
                      C5
                      Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Kevin P
                        • Aug 2000

Hey, it's what I'm here for. While I'm between jobs I have to keep busy somehow, and with spyware getting so out of hand I could probably just clean that crap up full time!

Glad to be of help. Now let's see if you can keep it from coming back! :-y

My HT Site

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Kevin,,Here are the results of Hijack.

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.htguide.com/CFBoards/index.cfm?fuseaction=Threads.listings&forum=27&CFB =1
                          R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = about:blank
                          R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = about:blank
                          R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch = about:blank
                          R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = about:blank
                          R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page_bak = http://www.htguide.com/CFBoards/index.cfm?fuseaction=Threads.listings&forum=27&CFB =1
                          R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
                          R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - - (no file)
                          O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
                          O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - D:\Nortons\NavShExt.dll
                          O2 - BHO: (no name) - {E3215F20-3212-11D6-9F8B-00D0B743919D} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\StopzillaBHO.dll
                          O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - D:\Nortons\NavShExt.dll
                          O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {327C2873-E90D-4c37-AA9D-10AC9BABA46C} - (no file)
                          O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
                          O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nForce Tray Options] sstray.exe /r
                          O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WINDVDPatch] CTHELPER.EXE
                          O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ASUS Probe] C:\Program Files\ASUS\Probe\AsusProb.exe
                          O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NAV Agent] D:\Nortons\navapw32.exe
                          O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb0 4.exe
                          O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Tweak UI] RUNDLL32.EXE TWEAKUI.CPL,TweakMeUp
                          O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
                          O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
                          O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Gainward] C:\WINDOWS\TBPanel.exe /A
                          O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\WINDOWS\Updreg.exe
                          O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTStartup] C:\SBAudigy\Program\CTEaxSpl.EXE /run
                          O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Jet Detection] C:\SBAudigy\PROGRAM\ADGJDet.exe
                          O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelliType] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Keyboard\type32.exe"
                          O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "d:\Quicktime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
                          O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelliPoint] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Mouse\point32.exe"
                          O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TB_setup] C:\DOCUME~1\Trevor\LOCALS~1\Temp\TB_ANI~1.EXE /dcheck
                          O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe
                          O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMJPMIG8.1] "C:\WINDOWS\IME\imjp8_1\IMJPMIG.EXE" /Spoil /RemAdvDef /Migration32
                          O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSPY2002] C:\WINDOWS\System32\IME\PINTLGNT\ImScInst.exe /SYNC
                          O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002ASync] C:\WINDOWS\System32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /SYNC
                          O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002A] C:\WINDOWS\System32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /IMEName
                          O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [STOPzilla] "C:\Program Files\STOPzilla!\Stopzilla.exe" /autorun
                          O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
                          O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BluetoothAuthenticationAgent] rundll32.exe irprops.cpl,,BluetoothAuthenticationAgent
                          O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
                          O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
                          O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NVMCTRAY.DLL,NvTaskbarInit
                          O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BLMessagingIntegration] C:\Program Files\Common Files\PSD Tools\blengine.exe
                          O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpyKiller] d:\SpyKiller 2004\spykiller.exe /startup
                          O4 - Startup: SETI@home.lnk = F:\Back Ups\Back up of D Partition Internet\SETI@home\SETI@home.exe
                          O8 - Extra context menu item: -
                          O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console (HKLM)
                          O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)
                          O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger (HKLM)
                          O16 - DPF: {02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B} (QuickTime Object) - http://www.apple.com/qtactivex/qtplugin.cab
                          O16 - DPF: {166B1BCA-3F9C-11CF-8075-444553540000} (Shockwave ActiveX Control) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/director/sw.cab
                          O16 - DPF: {41F17733-B041-4099-A042-B518BB6A408C} - http://a1540.g.akamai.net/7/1540/52/20021205/qtinstall.info.apple.com/drakken/us/win/QuickTimeInstaller.exe
                          O16 - DPF: {42F2D240-B23C-11D6-8C73-70A05DC10000} - http://64.156.31.70/058492ca.exe
                          O16 - DPF: {4FAE30E1-EE9C-477D-8D06-BF8D3429B60F} (WebIQ Technology Client) - http://webiqonline.com/WebIQ/bin/WebIQ.cab
                          O16 - DPF: {56336BCB-3D8A-11D6-A00B-0050DA18DE71} (RdxIE Class) - http://software-dl.real.com/22462d214dc1cd7b0505/netzip/RdxIE601.cab
                          O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/x86/unicode/iuctl.CAB?37692.6575462963
                          O16 - DPF: {A7532940-DB22-4B10-BE6A-B467E5330745} - http://mojo.com/toolbar/Customtoolbar.CAB
                          O16 - DPF: {CA034DCC-A580-4333-B52F-15F98C42E04C} (Downloader Class) - https://www.stopzilla.com/_download/Auto_Installer/dwnldr.cab
                          O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab

Trevor
                          My HomeTheater S.E.
                          Sonically Enhanced
                          C5
                          Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Kevin P
                            • Aug 2000

Ok Trev, you can run HijackThis again and have it "fix" the following entries:

O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {327C2873-E90D-4c37-AA9D-10AC9BABA46C} - (no file)

O4 - HKLM..Run: [TB_setup] COCUME~1TrevorLOCALS~1TempTB_ANI~1.EXE /dcheck

O4 - HKCU..Run: [BLMessagingIntegration] C:Program FilesCommon FilesPSD Toolslengine.exe

O16 - DPF: {4FAE30E1-EE9C-477D-8D06-BF8D3429B60F} (WebIQ Technology Client) - http://webiqonline.com/WebIQ/bin/WebIQ.cab

O16 - DPF: {A7532940-DB22-4B10-BE6A-B467E5330745} - http://mojo.com/toolbar/Customtoolbar.CAB

Also, delete all files in Cocuments and SettingsTrevorLocal SettingsTemp
                            Also delete the folder C:Program FilesCommon FilesPSD Tools

EDIT: This forum has trouble with backslashes... :roll: Post 'em and it doubles them up, edit the post and it removes them... :

My HT Site

Comment

• barona
                              • Jan 2003

Kevin,
                              What seems to get rid of "CoolWebSearch"??
                              I have it on my computer and it is screwing up my internet explorer to the point that it won't work, I tried uninstalling i.e. and when I try to reinstall it I receive a message that says "a newer version has already been detected and cannot continue." I've gone back and forth with Spybot, Adaware, Hijack This and Spy Sweeper. They all found stuff that I deleted weather it be Adware or Trojan. I reboot each time I run a program and now they don't find anything but something is still on the computer because when I go to task manager > processes something that changes names is always there draining a huge chunk of usage.

Comment

• barona
                                • Jan 2003

Kevin,
                                What seems to get rid of "CoolWebSearch"??
                                I have it on my computer and it is screwing up my internet explorer to the point that it won't work, I tried uninstalling i.e. and when I try to reinstall it I receive a message that says "a newer version has already been detected and cannot continue." I've gone back and forth with Spybot, Adaware, Hijack This and Spy Sweeper. They all found stuff that I deleted weather it be Adware or Trojan. I reboot each time I run a program and now they don't find anything but something is still on the computer because when I go to task manager > processes something that changes names is always there draining a huge chunk of usage.

Comment

• Kevin P
                                  • Aug 2000

Barona, look at the 2nd post in this thread, and download CWShredder from one of the links provided. CWShredder is specifically designed to remove most CoolWebSearch variants. Actually, follow all the steps in that post, and if you still have problems, post a Hijack This log like I had Trevor do.

My HT Site

Comment

• Lex
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Apr 2001

Popping to the top, a good thread for spyware tools.

Lex
                                    Doug
                                    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Kevin P
                                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Lex
                                      Popping to the top, a good thread for spyware tools.

Lex
                                      Even better, I made it a sticky, and changed the title to be more descriptive.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

CoolWebSearch can be a really nasty beast to remove. I had a version installed on my father in laws PC that was next to impossible to get rid off completely.

Comment

• Kevin P
                                          • Aug 2000

Just so you know, even if you have a copy of CWShredder kicking around, it's good to re-download it periodically as there are updates applied to it on a regular basis. Actually, I think it has an update button within, where it will download updates to itself.

Comment

• Ceryeceon
                                            • Jun 2004

I have a bunch of spyware/adware on my computer.. and I think it hijacked my browser... it changed my home page to this link from ewizards, and every site I go to it has a pop up about spyware...
                                            CWShredder, AdAware and SpyBot didn't fix it... here's my HiJackThis Log.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
                                            Scan saved at 11:48:50 PM, on 6/19/2004
                                            Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
                                            MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
                                            C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
                                            C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
                                            C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
                                            C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
                                            C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
                                            C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
                                            C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
                                            C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
                                            C:\Program Files\NavNT\defwatch.exe
                                            C:\Program Files\NavNT\rtvscan.exe
                                            C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsgSys.EXE
                                            C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
                                            C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
                                            C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
                                            C:\WINDOWS\System32\sstray.exe
                                            C:\Program Files\NavNT\vptray.exe
                                            C:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Keyboard\type32.exe
                                            C:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Mouse\point32.exe
                                            C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE\opware32.exe
                                            C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! 3\MsgPlus.exe
                                            C:\Program Files\Ace Utilities\Free Ram Optimizer\fro.exe
                                            C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
                                            E:\Steam\Steam.exe
                                            C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
                                            C:\Documents and Settings\Ceryeceon\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Directory 1 for hijackthis.zip\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = file://C:\DOCUME~1\Ceryeceon\LOCALS~1\Temp\sp.html
                                            R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = file://C:\DOCUME~1\Ceryeceon\LOCALS~1\Temp\sp.html
                                            R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = file://C:\DOCUME~1\Ceryeceon\LOCALS~1\Temp\sp.html
                                            R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = file://C:\DOCUME~1\Ceryeceon\LOCALS~1\Temp\sp.html
                                            R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = file://C:\DOCUME~1\Ceryeceon\LOCALS~1\Temp\sp.html
                                            R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = file://C:\DOCUME~1\Ceryeceon\LOCALS~1\Temp\sp.html
                                            R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,HomeOldSP = about:blank
                                            O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
                                            O2 - BHO: (no name) - {C21CCEF5-9DF7-4B23-9C2B-2B722316014C} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\hddapib.dll
                                            O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
                                            O3 - Toolbar: &SearchBar - {0494D0D9-F8E0-41ad-92A3-14154ECE70AC} - C:\Program Files\MyWay\myBar\1.bin\MYBAR.DLL (file missing)
                                            O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
                                            O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nForce Tray Options] sstray.exe /r
                                            O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] C:\Program Files\NavNT\vptray.exe
                                            O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelliType] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Keyboard\type32.exe"
                                            O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [POINTER] point32.exe
                                            O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Omnipage] C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE\opware32.exe
                                            O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MessengerPlus3] "C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! 3\MsgPlus.exe"
                                            O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Free Ram Optimizer] C:\Program Files\Ace Utilities\Free Ram Optimizer\fro.exe
                                            O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpyKiller] C:\Program Files\SpyKiller\spykiller.exe /startup
                                            O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
                                            O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
                                            O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console (HKLM)
                                            O9 - Extra button: AOL Instant Messenger (TM) (HKLM)
                                            O16 - DPF: cpcScanner - http://www.crucial.com/controls/cpcScanner.cab
                                            O16 - DPF: {00B71CFB-6864-4346-A978-C0A14556272C} (Checkers Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary...r.cab27571.cab
                                            O16 - DPF: {0E5F0222-96B9-11D3-8997-00104BD12D94} (PCPitstop Utility) - http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/PCPitStop.CAB
                                            O16 - DPF: {166B1BCA-3F9C-11CF-8075-444553540000} (Shockwave ActiveX Control) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/s...ctor/swdir.cab
                                            O16 - DPF: {1842B0EE-B597-11D4-8997-00104BD12D94} (iCC Class) - http://www.pcpitstop.com/internet/pcpConnCheck.cab
                                            O16 - DPF: {2917297F-F02B-4B9D-81DF-494B6333150B} (Minesweeper Flags Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary...r.cab28177.cab
                                            O16 - DPF: {39B0684F-D7BF-4743-B050-FDC3F48F7E3B} (FilePlanet Download Control Class) - http://www.fileplanet.com/fpdlmgr/ca...C_1_0_0_41.cab
                                            O16 - DPF: {3E68E405-C6DE-49FF-83AE-41EE9F4C36CE} (Office Update Installation Engine) - http://office.microsoft.com/officeup...ntent/opuc.cab
                                            O16 - DPF: {41F17733-B041-4099-A042-B518BB6A408C} - http://a1540.g.akamai.net/7/1540/52/...eInstaller.exe
                                            O16 - DPF: {54B52E52-8000-4413-BD67-FC7FE24B59F2} (EARTPatchX Class) - http://files.ea.com/downloads/rtpatch/v2/EARTPX.cab
                                            O16 - DPF: {56336BCB-3D8A-11D6-A00B-0050DA18DE71} (RdxIE Class) - http://software-dl.real.com/27e857db...p/RdxIE601.cab
                                            O16 - DPF: {59131903-4A33-40D5-80C2-5242DD365AB3} (MS3DViewerOCX Control) - http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-s...DViewerOCX.cab
                                            O16 - DPF: {75D1F3B2-2A21-11D7-97B9-0010DC2A6243} (SecureLogin.SecureControl) - http://secure2.comned.com/signuptemp...veSecurity.cab
                                            O16 - DPF: {8E0D4DE5-3180-4024-A327-4DFAD1796A8D} (MessengerStatsClient Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary...t.cab27571.cab
                                            O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.co...007.6071412037
                                            O16 - DPF: {A8658086-E6AC-4957-BC8E-7D54A7E8A78E} (SassCln Object) - http://www.microsoft.com/security/controls/SassCln.CAB
                                            O16 - DPF: {C2FCEF52-ACE9-11D3-BEBD-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec RuFSI Registry Information Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/S.../bin/cabsa.cab
                                            O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/s...sh/swflash.cab
                                            O16 - DPF: {F6BF0D00-0B2A-4A75-BF7B-F385591623AF} (Solitaire Showdown Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary...n.cab27571.cab

Hope you can help with this...

Comment

• Kevin P
                                              • Aug 2000

Reboot your PC, then run Hijack This and have it delete the following entries:
                                              R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = file://C:\DOCUME~1\Ceryeceon\LOCALS~1\Temp\sp.html
                                              R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = file://C:\DOCUME~1\Ceryeceon\LOCALS~1\Temp\sp.html
                                              R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = file://C:\DOCUME~1\Ceryeceon\LOCALS~1\Temp\sp.html
                                              R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = file://C:\DOCUME~1\Ceryeceon\LOCALS~1\Temp\sp.html
                                              R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = file://C:\DOCUME~1\Ceryeceon\LOCALS~1\Temp\sp.html
                                              R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = file://C:\DOCUME~1\Ceryeceon\LOCALS~1\Temp\sp.html
                                              R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,HomeOldSP = about:blank
                                              O2 - BHO: (no name) - {C21CCEF5-9DF7-4B23-9C2B-2B722316014C} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\hddapib.dll
                                              O3 - Toolbar: &SearchBar - {0494D0D9-F8E0-41ad-92A3-14154ECE70AC} - C:\Program Files\MyWay\myBar\1.bin\MYBAR.DLL (file missing)
                                              O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Free Ram Optimizer] C:\Program Files\Ace Utilities\Free Ram Optimizer\fro.exe
                                              O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpyKiller] C:\Program Files\SpyKiller\spykiller.exe /startup
                                              If you don't know what these are, delete them as well. If you need any of them, IE will download them again.

O16 - DPF: cpcScanner - http://www.crucial.com/controls/cpcScanner.cab
                                              O16 - DPF: {1842B0EE-B597-11D4-8997-00104BD12D94} (iCC Class) - http://www.pcpitstop.com/internet/pcpConnCheck.cab
                                              O16 - DPF: {59131903-4A33-40D5-80C2-5242DD365AB3} (MS3DViewerOCX Control) - http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-s...DViewerOCX.cab
                                              O16 - DPF: {75D1F3B2-2A21-11D7-97B9-0010DC2A6243} (SecureLogin.SecureControl) - http://secure2.comned.com/signuptemp...veSecurity.cab
                                              Reboot again afterward, and then delete the following folders:

C:\Program Files\Ace Utilities
                                              C:\Program Files\SpyKiller
                                              C:\Program Files\MyWay
                                              C:\DOCUME~1\Ceryeceon\LOCALS~1\Temp\ (delete files and folders within, but don't delete Temp itself)

If you have any issues, feel free to post back. Also, post another Hijack This log afterward so we can make sure all the bad stuff is gone.

Oh, one more thing, what is E:\Steam\Steam.exe?

Comment

• Lex
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Apr 2001

Ok, I cleaned up good with Spybot and Adaware, now hijack finds these, what should I delete from my work PC, if anything? Obviously some of these I know are not a problem, but I left the whole list for now anyway.

thanks,
                                                Lex

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://education.dellnet.com/
                                                R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://education.dellnet.com/
                                                R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://education.dellnet.com/
                                                R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
                                                R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Int ernet Settings,ProxyOverride = localhost:49213;127.0.0.1;<local>
                                                O1 - Hosts: 160.36.178.72 A06TM62D.UTKSNA.UTK.EDU
                                                O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
                                                O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
                                                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIModeChange] Ati2mdxx.exe
                                                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
                                                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] C:\WINDOWS\System32\qttask.exe
                                                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\evntsvc.exe -osboot
                                                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
                                                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
                                                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NDPS] C:\WINDOWS\System32\dpmw32.exe
                                                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NWTRAY] NWTRAY.EXE
                                                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [McAfeeUpdaterUI] "C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\UpdaterUI.exe" /StartedFromRunKey
                                                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ShStatEXE] "C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\SHSTAT.EXE" /STANDALONE
                                                O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
                                                O4 - Global Startup: Cisco Systems VPN Client.lnk = C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\VPN Client\vpngui.exe
                                                O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
                                                O4 - Global Startup: Symantec Fax Starter Edition Port.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\1033\OLFSNT40.EXE
                                                O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
                                                O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
                                                O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
                                                O16 - DPF: {31B7EB4E-8B4B-11D1-A789-00A0CC6651A8} (Cult3D ActiveX Player) - http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/resources/cult3d/cult.cab
                                                O16 - DPF: {41F17733-B041-4099-A042-B518BB6A408C} - http://a1540.g.akamai.net/7/1540/52/...eInstaller.exe
                                                O16 - DPF: {88D969C0-F192-11D4-A65F-0040963251E5} (XML DOM Document 4.0) - file://C:\WINDOWS\msxml4.cab
                                                O16 - DPF: {a2001dd0-c7bd-11d4-a3e1-00c04fa32518} -
                                                O16 - DPF: {CAFECAFE-0013-0001-0009-ABCDEFABCDEF} (JInitiator 1.3.1.9) -
                                                Doug
                                                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Kevin P
                                                  • Aug 2000

I only see a couple of entries that need to be removed there Doug:
                                                  O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NDPS] C:\WINDOWS\System32\dpmw32.exe
                                                  O16 - DPF: {a2001dd0-c7bd-11d4-a3e1-00c04fa32518} -
                                                  This next one is optional, it's part of MS Office but doesn't need to be in the startup, as it's a resource hog. It's up to you whether you want to delete or not:
                                                  O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
                                                  Lastly, anything under O16 (downloaded ActiveX objects) that you know you aren't using can be deleted as well. If you delete one you need, you'll be prompted to download it again when you hit a site that requires it.

ALSO, after cleaning these entries with Hijack This, make sure to go into your Windows\System32 folder, tell Explorer to view hidden/system files, and then delete the file dpmw32.exe.

Comment

• Juan Cortez
                                                    • May 2003

Well I got everything working Kevin thanks again. Ya I ran hijack this it found files on that I search tool bar I was telling you about in the PM, it deleted them and it got rid of the bar. Here is the other stuff I am not sure on. Its funny after I ran hijack this and CWsredder and removed a few things I new I could remove, I went back to the site and I was able to download them . So far everything seems to be in order. Just for Spy bot there is this one thing that keeps popping back up, it deletes it but comes back. I will run it again and post what it is.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.0
                                                    Scan saved at 9:30:09 PM, on 7/15/2004

Running processes:
                                                    C:\Program Files\TGTSoft\StyleXP\StyleXPService.exe
                                                    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
                                                    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
                                                    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
                                                    D:\NORTON~2\NORTON~3\GHOSTS~2.EXE
                                                    D:\Norton Internet Security Pro 2004\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
                                                    C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
                                                    C:\PROGRA~1\Logitech\MOUSEW~1\SYSTEM\EM_EXEC.EXE
                                                    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Keyboard\type32.exe
                                                    C:\WINDOWS\System32\devldr32.exe
                                                    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
                                                    D:\Norton Internet Security Pro 2004\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
                                                    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
                                                    C:\WINDOWS\System32\bvzcxaxp.exe
                                                    D:\NORTON~2\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\NOPDB.EXE
                                                    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
                                                    C:\Program Files\WindowsSA\omniscient.exe
                                                    C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! 3\MsgPlus.exe
                                                    C:\PROGRA~1\mail clock team\internetdashup.exe
                                                    C:\Program Files\TGTSoft\StyleXP\StyleXP.exe
                                                    C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
                                                    D:\Hijack This\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.msn.ca/
                                                    R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - _{1C78AB3F-A857-482e-80C0-3A1E5238A565} - (no file)
                                                    R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {1C78AB3F-A857-482e-80C0-3A1E5238A565} - (no file)
                                                    F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=C:\Windows\System32\wsaupdater.exe,
                                                    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
                                                    O2 - BHO: FordAtomManager - {224317C1-9A90-4F2D-8B61-F001C4074951} - C:\PROGRA~1\AXISNO~1\joyproc.dll (file missing)
                                                    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - D:\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
                                                    O2 - BHO: NavErrRedir Class - {5D60FF48-95BE-4956-B4C6-6BB168A70310} - (no file)
                                                    O2 - BHO: QuickSearch Search Bar - {82315A18-6CFB-44a7-BDFD-90E36537C252} - C:\Program Files\QuickSearch\QuickSearchBar1_27.dll
                                                    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {83DE62E0-5805-11D8-9B25-00E04C60FAF2} - (no file)
                                                    O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - D:\Norton Internet Security Pro 2004\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
                                                    O2 - BHO: IE Redirector - {C68AE9C0-0909-4DDC-B661-C1AFB9F5AE53} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ieredir.dll
                                                    O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - D:\Norton Internet Security Pro 2004\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
                                                    O3 - Toolbar: QuickSearch Search Bar - {82315A18-6CFB-44a7-BDFD-90E36537C252} - C:\Program Files\QuickSearch\QuickSearchBar1_27.dll
                                                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EM_EXEC] C:\PROGRA~1\Logitech\MOUSEW~1\SYSTEM\EM_EXEC.EXE
                                                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
                                                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb0 1.exe
                                                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
                                                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
                                                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
                                                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
                                                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [URLLSTCK.exe] D:\Norton Internet Security Pro 2004\UrlLstCk.exe
                                                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Advanced Tools Check] D:\NORTON~1\NORTON~1\AdvTools\ADVCHK.EXE
                                                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
                                                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DAEMON Tools-1033] "E:\Damon tools\daemon.exe" -lang 1033
                                                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [90ae34.exe] 90ae34.exe
                                                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gsfgalrdn] C:\WINDOWS\System32\bvzcxaxp.exe
                                                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows SA] C:\Program Files\WindowsSA\omniscient.ex
                                                    Jason

Comment

• Kemp
                                                      • Nov 2003

Kevin,

I have done all the above scans. I would appreciate it if you can look at the log and see if all seems fine.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
                                                      Scan saved at 09:28:01 PM, on 2004/09/30

Running processes:
                                                      C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe
                                                      C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
                                                      C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
                                                      C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
                                                      C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~2\SPEEDD~1\nopdb.exe
                                                      C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
                                                      C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
                                                      C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
                                                      C:\Program Files\FinePixViewer\QuickDCF.exe
                                                      C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
                                                      C:\unzipped\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.absa.co.za/
                                                      R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=3274
                                                      O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
                                                      O2 - BHO: (no name) - {206E52E0-D52E-11D4-AD54-0000E86C26F6} - C:\PROGRA~1\FRESHD~1\FRESHD~1\fdcatch.dll
                                                      O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
                                                      O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
                                                      O2 - BHO: CNavExtBho Class - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
                                                      O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
                                                      O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
                                                      O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SiSUSBRG] C:\WINDOWS\SiSUSBrg.exe
                                                      O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
                                                      O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Advanced Tools Check] C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\AdvTools\ADVCHK.EXE
                                                      O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
                                                      O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE NvQTwk,NvCplDaemon initialize
                                                      O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
                                                      O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [REGSHAVE] C:\Program Files\REGSHAVE\REGSHAVE.EXE /AUTORUN
                                                      O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SmcService] C:\PROGRA~1\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe -startgui
                                                      O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
                                                      O4 - Global Startup: Exif Launcher.lnk = ?
                                                      O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
                                                      O4 - Global Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
                                                      O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
                                                      O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
                                                      O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
                                                      O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
                                                      O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
                                                      O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
                                                      O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
                                                      O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
                                                      O16 - DPF: {F58E1CEF-A068-4C15-BA5E-587CAF3EE8C6} (MSN Chat Control 4.5) - http://chat.msn.com/bin/msnchat45.cab

Thanks
                                                      Marius

Comment

• Kevin P
                                                        • Aug 2000

Kemp, remove the following two entries.

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {206E52E0-D52E-11D4-AD54-0000E86C26F6} - C:\PROGRA~1\FRESHD~1\FRESHD~1\fdcatch.dll

O4 - Global Startup: Exif Launcher.lnk = ?
                                                        If your browser's default home page is supposed to be www.absa.co.za, leave this entry in place, otherwise remove it, or just change your browser's home page:
                                                        R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.absa.co.za/
                                                        This next one is optional, you can speed up your startup a bit by removing this next one, at the expense of some Office apps loading slower:
                                                        After removing these entries, exit from Hijack This, reboot your PC, and run Hijack This again to make sure the entries are gone and that no new ones got inserted.

Comment

• Kemp
                                                          • Nov 2003

Thanks Kevin, I have done so and it didn't load new entries. This has been a very helpful thread. My computer is working quite faster now. :T
                                                          Marius

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                            • Sep 2002

Kevin,

You're a Godsend.

My wife's computer is having all sorts of problems. Each time she uses Adaware and spybot, the spyware shows up again immediately. Can you help?

Here's the read:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
                                                            Scan saved at 8:06:22 PM, on 10/7/2004

Running processes:
                                                            C:\WINDOWS\System32\winlogon.exe
                                                            C:\Program Files\Norton Personal Firewall\NISUM.EXE
                                                            C:\Program Files\Norton Personal Firewall\ccPxySvc.exe
                                                            C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
                                                            C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
                                                            C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
                                                            C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\nopdb.exe
                                                            C:\Program Files\Common Files\WinTools\WToolsS.exe
                                                            C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
                                                            C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\dpps2.exe
                                                            C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\WinTools\WToolsA.exe
                                                            C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
                                                            C:\WINDOWS\System32\RUNDLL32.EXE
                                                            C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~2\PSFree.exe
                                                            C:\Program Files\Linksys\WMP11 Config Utility\WMP11CFG.exe
                                                            C:\Program Files\Common Files\WinTools\WSup.exe
                                                            C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
                                                            C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
                                                            C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\UXTMBUP8\HijackThis[1].exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://www.websearch.com/ie.aspx?tb_id=40
                                                            R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.bestbuy.msn.com/
                                                            R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.bestbuy.msn.com
                                                            R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,SearchAssistant = http://www.websearch.com/ie.aspx?tb_id=40
                                                            R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,CustomizeSearch = res://C:\PROGRA~1\Toolbar\toolbar.dll/sa
                                                            R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://www.websearch.com/ie.aspx?tb_id=40
                                                            R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch = res://C:\PROGRA~1\Toolbar\toolbar.dll/sa
                                                            R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {8952A998-1E7E-4716-B23D-3DBE03910972} - C:\PROGRA~1\Toolbar\toolbar.dll (file missing)
                                                            O2 - BHO: (no name) - {00000010-6F7D-442C-93E3-4A4827C2E4C8} - (no file)
                                                            O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Companion BHO - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\ycomp5_3_16_0.dll
                                                            O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
                                                            O2 - BHO: (no name) - {87766247-311C-43B4-8499-3D5FEC94A183} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\WinTools\WToolsB.dll
                                                            O2 - BHO: (no name) - {8952A998-1E7E-4716-B23D-3DBE03910972} - C:\PROGRA~1\Toolbar\toolbar.dll (file missing)
                                                            O2 - BHO: CNavExtBho Class - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
                                                            O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
                                                            O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Companion - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\ycomp5_3_16_0.dll
                                                            O3 - Toolbar: &Search Toolbar - {339BB23F-A864-48C0-A59F-29EA915965EC} - C:\PROGRA~1\Toolbar\toolbar.dll (file missing)
                                                            O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Pop-Up Stopper] "C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\dpps2.exe"
                                                            O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
                                                            O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TBPS] C:\PROGRA~1\Toolbar\TBPS.exe
                                                            O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinTools] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\WinTools\WToolsA.exe
                                                            O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WkDetect.exe
                                                            O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
                                                            O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
                                                            O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NVMCTRAY.DLL,NvTaskbarInit
                                                            O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe
                                                            O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PopUpStopperFreeEdition] "C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~2\PSFree.exe"
                                                            O4 - Global Startup: Wireless PCI Card Configuration Utility.lnk = C:\Program Files\Linksys\WMP11 Config Utility\WMP11CFG.exe
                                                            O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
                                                            O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
                                                            O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
                                                            O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
                                                            O12 - Plugin for .mp3: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin3.dll
                                                            O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.bestbuy.msn.com
                                                            O16 - DPF: symsupportutil - https://www-secure.symantec.com/tech...upportutil.CAB
                                                            O16 - DPF: {14B87622-7E19-4EA8-93B3-97215F77A6BC} (MessengerStatsClient Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary...t.cab30149.cab
                                                            O16 - DPF: {15AD4789-CDB4-47E1-A9DA-992EE8E6BAD6} - http://public.windupdates.com/get_fi...4b3ff0a00bdda3
                                                            O16 - DPF: {6CB5E471-C305-11D3-99A8-000086395495} - http://toolbar.google.com/data/en/bi.../GoogleNav.cab
                                                            O16 - DPF: {8E0D4DE5-3180-4024-A327-4DFAD1796A8D} (MessengerStatsClient Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary...t.cab30149.cab
                                                            O16 - DPF: {8EDAD21C-3584-4E66-A8AB-EB0E5584767D} - http://toolbar.google.com/data/GoogleActivate.cab
                                                            O16 - DPF: {B8BE5E93-A60C-4D26-A2DC-220313175592} (ZoneIntro Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary...o.cab30149.cab
                                                            O16 - DPF: {C02226EB-A5D7-4B1F-BD7E-635E46C2288D} (Toontown Installer ActiveX Control) - http://download.toontown.com/sv1.0.8.8/ttinst.cab
                                                            O16 - DPF: {CA034DCC-A580-4333-B52F-15F98C42E04C} (Downloader Class) - http://www.stopzilla.com/_download/A...ler/dwnldr.cab
                                                            O16 - DPF: {E5D419D6-A846-4514-9FAD-97E826C84822} (HeartbeatCtl Class) - http://fdl.msn.com/zone/datafiles/heartbeat.cab
                                                            O16 - DPF: {E77C0D62-882A-456F-AD8F-7C6C9569B8C7} (ActiveDataObj Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/tech...ActiveData.cab
                                                            O16 - DPF: {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} (Yahoo! Companion) - http://us.dl1.yimg.com/download.comp...io5_3_16_0.cab
                                                            O16 - DPF: {F6BF0D00-0B2A-4A75-BF7B-F385591623AF} (Solitaire Showdown Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary...n.cab30149.cab
                                                            O18 - Protocol: tpro - {FF76A5DA-6158-4439-99FF-EDC1B3FE100C} - C:\PROGRA~1\Toolbar\toolbar.dll (file missing)

Again a heartfelt thanks for any help you can provide.
                                                            Keith

Comment

• Kevin P
                                                              • Aug 2000

Danbry39,

You have Wintools spyware, which can be a beeyotch to remove. :twisted: You'll need to boot XP into Safe Mode to remove it successfully. Hit F8 just before the XP splash screen appears, and you'll get a menu. Choose Safe Mode, and run Hijack This from there.

Remove the following entries. Also, delete the folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\WinTools and everything within. Also delete C:\Program Files\Toolbar and everything within.

Originally posted by Danbry39
                                                              R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://www.websearch.com/ie.aspx?tb_id=40

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,SearchAssistant = http://www.websearch.com/ie.aspx?tb_id=40

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,CustomizeSearch = res://C:\PROGRA~1\Toolbar\toolbar.dll/sa

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://www.websearch.com/ie.aspx?tb_id=40

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch = res://C:\PROGRA~1\Toolbar\toolbar.dll/sa

R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {8952A998-1E7E-4716-B23D-3DBE03910972} - C:\PROGRA~1\Toolbar\toolbar.dll (file missing)

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {00000010-6F7D-442C-93E3-4A4827C2E4C8} - (no file)

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {87766247-311C-43B4-8499-3D5FEC94A183} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\WinTools\WToolsB.dll

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {8952A998-1E7E-4716-B23D-3DBE03910972} - C:\PROGRA~1\Toolbar\toolbar.dll (file missing)

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TBPS] C:\PROGRA~1\Toolbar\TBPS.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinTools] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\WinTools\WToolsA.exe

O16 - DPF: {15AD4789-CDB4-47E1-A9DA-992EE8E6BAD6} - http://public.windupdates.com/get_file.php?bt=ie&p=758d335511d936e75c5797bc23720 9bd8d17338cea17528cf96cc2ce45c1b4a96a2e1637c086e41 622383aacc1ed7cbe6ae86f5a6c23750fb510dd3bbffe2e092 c:0c14c6f7bda31a23934b3ff0a00bdda3

O16 - DPF: {C02226EB-A5D7-4B1F-BD7E-635E46C2288D} (Toontown Installer ActiveX Control) - http://download.toontown.com/sv1.0.8.8/ttinst.cab

O16 - DPF: {CA034DCC-A580-4333-B52F-15F98C42E04C} (Downloader Class) - http://www.stopzilla.com/_download/Auto_Installer/dwnldr.cab

O18 - Protocol: tpro - {FF76A5DA-6158-4439-99FF-EDC1B3FE100C} - C:\PROGRA~1\Toolbar\toolbar.dll (file missing)
                                                              If you don't want MSN Messenger to start up when you boot Windows, remove this entry:
                                                              O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
                                                              Removing this next entry is optional. It'll make Windows boot up a bit faster, but cause Office applications to load slower:
                                                              After removing the entries with Hijack This, reboot into normal mode and rerun Hijack This and make sure the entries you removed (especially the Wintools ones) are gone.

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Sep 2002

Keven,

I again can't thank you enough. You da man.
                                                                Keith

Comment

• JOY DIVISION
                                                                  • Aug 2004

The best thing for Cool Web Search not showing up in your PC is to stay away from PORNO sites.

Comment

• Steve Goff
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Feb 2002

Since my change over from IE to Mozilla Firefox, I've seen no data miners or malware in my sweeps with Adaware.
                                                                    Steve Goff

Comment

• Kevin P
                                                                      • Aug 2000

The latest version of Spybot Search & Destroy will remove tracking cookies from Firefox as well as IE, just so you know.

Comment

• SteveA
                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                        • Dec 2004

Spybot and CW Shredder

My old PC has slowed to a crawl. Downloaded AdaWare (sp?) and "fixed" the 77 problems it found. I downloaded and installed Spybot which finds 80+ problems but any attempt to "fix" them send this POS into grid lock (not responding); several attempts to run the fix but to no avail.

I attempted to download and install CW Shredder from the links listed in this thread but when I attempt to unzip I get a response that the file is corrupted (from either link).

Any suggestions for a puzzled chemist (besides trashing this thing).

Thanks,
                                                                        SteveA

Comment

• Nick M
                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                          • Nov 2004
                                                                          • 5959

This time I screwed my comp up! I'm under attack!

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
                                                                          Scan saved at 2:44:00 AM, on 4/10/2005
                                                                          Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
                                                                          MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
                                                                          C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
                                                                          C:\WINDOWS\System32\PROMon.exe
                                                                          C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTHELPER.EXE
                                                                          C:\Program Files\ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
                                                                          C:\PROGRA~1\VERIZO~1\SMARTB~1\MotiveSB.exe
                                                                          C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
                                                                          C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
                                                                          C:\Program Files\Verizon Online\bin\mpbtn.exe
                                                                          C:\WINDOWS\System32\NMSSvc.exe
                                                                          C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
                                                                          C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
                                                                          C:\Program Files\ATI Multimedia\MAIN\ATIMMC.EXE
                                                                          C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe
                                                                          C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
                                                                          C:\WINDOWS\system32\atlqr.exe
                                                                          C:\WINDOWS\sysxv32.exe
                                                                          C:\WINDOWS\system32\iphu.exe
                                                                          C:\Documents and Settings\Nicholas Mosher\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Directory 2 for hijackthis.zip\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\khvxf.dll/sp.html#37049
                                                                          R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\khvxf.dll/sp.html#37049
                                                                          R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = about:blank
                                                                          R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\khvxf.dll/sp.html#37049
                                                                          R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\khvxf.dll/sp.html#37049
                                                                          R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\khvxf.dll/sp.html#37049
                                                                          R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\khvxf.dll/sp.html#37049
                                                                          R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by Verizon Online
                                                                          R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Int ernet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1
                                                                          R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
                                                                          O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
                                                                          O2 - BHO: (no name) - {1FF55FF8-18EB-46CA-A1B0-6EB9E0AC0883} - C:\WINDOWS\sysxv32.dll
                                                                          O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
                                                                          O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WINDVDPatch] CTHELPER.EXE
                                                                          O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Jet Detection] C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy\PROGRAM\ADGJDet.exe
                                                                          O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTStartup] C:\Program Files\Creative\Splash Screen\CTEaxSpl.EXE /run
                                                                          O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [InCD] C:\Program Files\ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
                                                                          O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Motive SmartBridge] C:\PROGRA~1\VERIZO~1\SMARTB~1\MotiveSB.exe
                                                                          O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
                                                                          O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
                                                                          O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [atlqr.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\atlqr.exe
                                                                          O4 - Global Startup: Verizon Online Support Center.lnk = C:\Program Files\Verizon Online\bin\matcli.exe
                                                                          O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
                                                                          O16 - DPF: {56336BCB-3D8A-11D6-A00B-0050DA18DE71} (RdxIE Class) - http://software-dl.real.com/291945fe...p/RdxIE601.cab
                                                                          O23 - Service: Network Security Service ( 11Fßä#·ºÄÖ`I) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\iphu.exe
                                                                          O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
                                                                          O23 - Service: iPod Service (iPodService) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
                                                                          O23 - Service: Intel(R) NMS (NMSSvc) - Intel Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\NMSSvc.exe
                                                                          ~Nick

Comment

• Kevin P
                                                                            Member
                                                                            • Aug 2000
                                                                            • 10808

Hey Nick, I could just drive to your house and fix it myself, we live close enough together. We'll have to plan a New England HTG meet sometime soon!

Anyway, I assume you ran the usual tools: CWShredder, AdAware, Spybot S&D, updated virus scans, etc. If you didn't, please do and post another HJT log. In the meantime, you can remove the following entries (I recommend doing so in Safe Mode):

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\khvxf.dll/sp.html#37049
                                                                            R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\khvxf.dll/sp.html#37049
                                                                            R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = about:blank
                                                                            R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\khvxf.dll/sp.html#37049
                                                                            R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\khvxf.dll/sp.html#37049
                                                                            R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\khvxf.dll/sp.html#37049
                                                                            R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\khvxf.dll/sp.html#37049
                                                                            R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Int ernet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1
                                                                            R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
                                                                            O2 - BHO: (no name) - {1FF55FF8-18EB-46CA-A1B0-6EB9E0AC0883} - C:\WINDOWS\sysxv32.dll
                                                                            O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [atlqr.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\atlqr.exe
                                                                            O16 - DPF: {56336BCB-3D8A-11D6-A00B-0050DA18DE71} (RdxIE Class) - http://software-dl.real.com/291945fe...p/RdxIE601.cab
                                                                            O23 - Service: Network Security Service ( 11Fßä#·ºÄÖ`I) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\iphu.exe
                                                                            Delete the following files, if they still exist:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\khvxf.dll
                                                                            C:\WINDOWS\sysxv32.dll
                                                                            C:\WINDOWS\system32\atlqr.exe
                                                                            C:\WINDOWS\system32\iphu.exe

Reboot in normal mode and run another HJT log to make sure the entries didn't get re-created somehow.

Comment

• Nick M
                                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                                              • Nov 2004
                                                                              • 5959

#39
                                                                              This time I got a bunch of different ones on hijack. My computer also won't let me delete some of those files in my system folder. It says they are in use and access is denied..

*searching for XP disc for 2nd reformat this month...* :rant:
                                                                              ~Nick

Comment

• Nick M
                                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                • Nov 2004
                                                                                • 5959

#40
                                                                                Damn, I've got this down to a science. Reformat, install windows, drivers, dsl software, paste my old desktop files, re-enter bookmarks.

2hrs. :B :M

Ah well...
                                                                                ~Nick

Comment

• Kevin P
                                                                                  Member
                                                                                  • Aug 2000
                                                                                  • 10808

#41
                                                                                  I could have saved you that aggravation... all you had to do was post another log...

Were you in safe mode when you deleted the entries?

Comment

• Nick M
                                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                    • Nov 2004
                                                                                    • 5959

#42
                                                                                    Nope... I guess I read right over that. Does XP have a safe mode?

My comp also wouldn't let me delete some of those files you said to snipe. Spybot was also hanging when I told it to delete the crap it sniffed out.

Aside from re-entering bookmarks in my browser, reformatting has become a cathartic experience for me... :rofl:

Kind of like when I hike. As I exert myself and go over all the crap I have tumbling in my head, I reduce eveything to simply one foot in front of the other, and then emerge from the woods a new man. :B

Oh boy, what a day... :P
                                                                                    ~Nick

Comment

• Glen B
                                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                                      • Jul 2004
                                                                                      • 1106

#43
                                                                                      Originally posted by Nicholas Mosher
                                                                                      Nope... I guess I read right over that. Does XP have a safe mode?

My comp also wouldn't let me delete some of those files you said to snipe. Spybot was also hanging when I told it to delete the crap it sniffed out.

Aside from re-entering bookmarks in my browser, reformatting has become a cathartic experience for me... :rofl:
                                                                                      Link to "How to start Windows in safe mode.": http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/h...t_failsafe.asp

I have used McAfee antivirus/firewall kept up-to-date with the latest virus definitions, for several years now. Knock on wood, my PC has never been disabled by any kind of attack. I just recently upgraded to McAfee's Internet Security Suite and also run AdAware regularly.

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                        • Sep 2002
                                                                                        • 1584

#44
                                                                                        Well, my computer at work got a nasty similar to the one my wife had. I called the tech people in to clean it up, but they failed miserably. Didn't want to bother Kevin too much, even though he's always so generous in this regard. Lived with it, but the same crap kept on showing up each time I did scans with Spybot and Adaware. And, all the popups all the time I ran my computer. I knew that there was an exe. file buried somewhere, but I'm no computer whiz.

I decided to give the new Microsoft Antispyware beta edition freeware a shot and, wow, it did the job.

Might be something for all to consider in addition to the usual suspects.

Here's a link for those interested.
                                                                                        Keith

Comment

• Patt
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Feb 2005
                                                                                          • 922

#45
                                                                                          Gosh Nick,

You are one lucky dude to have someone like Kevin to help you out like that :T
                                                                                          ......Pat

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"