X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

In Da House

Msi TvAnywhere Master...due to overwhelming response :roll: I went out and got the MSI card....

While I was there, I figured, Hey conversion needs as much horsepower as you can throw it....so I picked up a Barton 2800XP+ (and some Arctic Alumina) as well :twisted:

With my current HSF it's pretty good....(I'm running a really slow fan on a SK-7...so I'm giving up some heat for quiet) it idles at 40C and at load climbs to (so far) as high as 58C. I'm playing with fan positioning to see what results I get. Right now the CPU fan is drawing air away from the heatsink because it sits under my Antec TruePower dual fan. I figured why fight convection currents?

I'm going to see what my results are reversed and then I'm going to play with building a CPU dedicated duct... Maybe I'll take a page from Eduardo and lap the heatsink we'll see if I find the time to do that.
    I'll keep you posted.

Nothing special, just thought I'd share

"A RONSTER!"
    Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Congrats on the purchases :P I too am a dedicated AMD fan :T

MSI seems to be the one people prefer if you're getting a seperate card. (ATI AIW's for the one card solution.) I'd love to hear your thoughts on it's DVR capabilities and any other thoughts after you've got it going for a while.

As you know from my thread, I'm building the machine for my friend next month or so. It's got me seriously considering building one for myself in the next year or so. My biggest concerns so far are:

1-The case. I want basically a standard size ATX case turned on it's side. All the desktop models I've seen seem to only be big enough for micro ATX boards and don't have large enough spaces for big (ie:slow) fans and can't handle as many components (boards, hard drives etc.)

2-Playing nice with my cable providers STB. I currently have a digital cable box with plans to upgrade to a HD STB at some point in the future. There seems to be no simple approach to getting them to play together in a user-friendly manner. Ideally the cable companies would have a "plug-in" chip that you could connect to co-operating video card manufacturer's cards to utilize your computer as the box but..... good luck with that.. :?

Other than that, I think the noise concerns would mostly be addressed if I can figure out a solution for #1...

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
    Jason

Comment

• Gordon Moore
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Feb 2002

Well even on the not so great to "only okay" WinDVR bundled software....I'll tell you my initial impression of TimeShifting is that it's the greatest thing since sliced bread :T

TV in the desktop (your whole desktop becomes the current tvshow) is a neat-o feature to wow your friends but not very practical.

I'll post a screenshot or two when time permits.

"A RONSTER!"

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

I assume you just have a straight cable feed to your PC, no satellite or cable box to contend with...?

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
        Jason

Comment

• Gordon Moore
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Feb 2002

No, no digital cable box or Sat feed.

I don't see how the tuner would be of any use (or any of the PVR capabilities)...There's probably a way but I'm not sure exactly how...you may need a different card?

Mind you, you could just use the capture portion of things and s-vid into the card and use the external boxes for channel changing. Everything else would function the same I imagine. For use as a high end scaler for cheap

"A RONSTER!"

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

There are ways. There are apparently a few (and I emphasize few) STB's that have serial ports that some folks have had luck connecting to their PC's and hence controling the STB that way. You can also try IR blasters. But IMO neither of those options (if they work at all) are user friendly. Plus the HD STB that my cable company offers does scaling for the analog channels to your preffered setting and the digital HD channels to your preffered setting (ie: 720p, 1080i etc). I would imagine a HTPC could probably scale better but it would likely only be a small improvement for a fairly substantial cost...

Without a way to: record digital, compressed HD from a STB, have (user friendly) PVR capabilities from a STB and with the HD STB already doing scaling, it'g getting harder to justify a HTPC :cry:

Jason

Jason

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"