X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Desktop, ATX HTPC Case

I'm sure some of you have come across this but for those people who are looking for a good, quiet case that looks nice too check out the Antec, Lifestyle Series - Overture Model It actually fits regualar ATX boards!

Here's a review with some cool mod's the writer did:http://www.htpcnews.com/main.php?id=overturereview1

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
    Jason
  • Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

These take ATX and microATX as well (I love these cases, it's just the cost):

Available in Canada.

"A RONSTER!"
    Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Well see the Antec's downright affordable, not cheap by any means but I think it about $130 US retail, which ain't bad. Plus while it doesn't look as much like an A/V component as those cases it allows for multiple DVD drives etc on the fron panel. Say one for transport, one for recording etc and it still looks pretty darn good IMO (the blue LED on the power button is just cool :P ).

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
      Jason

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Hey Gordon, any idea how much the divine 4 is? Like how expensive are these beasts? 8O :?

Jason

Jason

Comment

• Gordon Moore
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Feb 2002

This is just local mind you...but it'll give you a jumping off point.

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

While not cheap...that's not as bad as I was fearing... I'll have to look further in to that

Jason

Jason

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

How'd you find it at MLH anyway? Ahanix only lists two distributors in Canada... :?

Jason

Jason

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Feb 2002

How'd you find it at MLH anyway? Ahanix only lists two distributors in Canada...
                Fluke mostly....I check computer stores the way some people check ebay That and I deal with them from time to time so I know what they carry pretty well.

My favorite locals are:

http://www.satsumasystems.com (He's got the LG 8x DVD burner for $165 :T)

====

"A RONSTER!"

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Looks like NCIX is the only local place for me (Or it's Netlink subs) for the Ahanix cases. I hate having only one place to choose from... Oh well. Maybe some other manufacturers will come out with some real competing cases between now and the time I actually get to this....

Jason

Jason

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Almost forgot.... what have you heard about those LG drives. They seem to be a damn good value for the $ especially seen as how they're one of the only drives that can write DVD+/- R/RW AND DVD-Ram. I was looking at the 4X previously but might wait until the rumoured "dual-layer" drives come out.

Jason

Jason

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Feb 2002

Well I hear they work pretty nice...and friend of mine has the 4X and is very happy with it.

Personally I'm waiting on the 8x to sneak down alittle more in price. The LG 8X is 8x only with DVD+R so it's a bit of a marketing msinomer.

NEC has a multiformat frive that is 8x for both DVD+/-R but no DVD-RAM.

Wait and see is all I can say about dual-layered....it's no rumour they are coming in the spring I believe (around April).

Expect prices to be stupid. Media will be stupidly priced as well.

Blue-laser is not dead either....

I think a wiser move would be wait till the 8x hits your acceptable price-point and call it a day.

Our local guy sells the 8x LG's for $165 before tax (no rebate or anything). $35 more than the 4x at FutureShop with rebates (don't forget you pay the tax on the pre-rebate amount, so it's even worse).

I'm waiting till spring. I have a feeling that 8x will be a nice price by then.

Also the dual-layered format will only be supported right now in DVD+R (you may want to double check your home player on which format it supports before you make any decisions one way or the next.

cheers,

Gordo

"A RONSTER!"

Comment

• pepar
                        • Dec 2002

I've got the Antec and it is real nice. Quiet too. However, people should look at the depth dimension (add a few inches for cables/connectors) and the depth of their cabinet/rack. This ATX case is, as I suspect all ATX cases are, a deep mutha.

-
                        "The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." - William Gibson

"I like the future; I'm in it." - Firesign Theater
                        -
                        Home theater renovation underway!

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." - William Gibson

"I like the future; I'm in it." - Firesign Theater

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Luckily depth isn't an issue for me. My Overture case arrived yesterday and it does look pretty good. I just wish the front was all black.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"