X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jaruiz
    • Sep 2003

Sigma Designs Xcard w/TV capture card?

I originally had planned on basing my upcoming HTPC project on my older Celeron 600@927mhz, until I figured it wouldn't really have enough processing power to do the job. I figurd I'd probably build it around that for the most basic tasks until I could afford to upgrade to a new mobo/cpu (probably a xp2400 or 2500) I wanted to go with a mini-atx board but the more and more I revise my plans I think that solution will leave me short on PCI slots. I came across some guy in europe's website detailing his "mediacenter" which was basically a Higher end P4 server, some MP3 hardware interfaces for his home stereo system, and a 1.0ghz celeron box set up in his rack. He expalined how thew the celeron didn't have enough power for DIVX/DVD decoding and how thi s card was added to take care of those duties. I looked into the card further to find that it took care of all these duties allowing the cpu to run at a%0 load. So I figured it might be a descent approach to reusing my celeron. My only question is whther or not I'll be able to use it with a TV capture card. If anyone has any insight to this I'd really appreciate the feedback. Basically I'm looking for my HTPC to do the following
    1)Playback of DVD's fed to a HDTV monitor
    2)playback of DIVX/SVCD/VCD movies
    3)PVR duties (recording tv shows, time shifting etc)
    4)MP3 playback (maybe...I'm currently using building another Mp3 server using my old p2400)
    5)deinterlacer/scaler for my LD player and other analogue compoanats
  • Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

I'm mis-reading something...

Are you asking if you'll be able to use the xcard and a tv-tuner like WinTV in the same box?

"A RONSTER!"
    Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• Gordon Moore
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Feb 2002

I think this is what you're after and even then they recommend a 1Ghz machine but that's only if you are going to be scaling the image through DScaler.

If not, and you are simply using the decoder available in the Real Magic card then I think you'll be okay.

So it can be done for around 190 U.S. + shipping. Which is actually a pretty good price. Of course this combo is for use with an external tuner pumping the broadcast into you HTPC.

However, if you are good with solder, then, this site tells you how to mod any capture and hook it up to the PDI (parallel digital interface) of the xcard http://www.htpcgear.net/pdi/

"A RONSTER!"
      Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"