X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eduardo
    Moderator emeritus
    • Jun 2002

PC Build Story w/Pics

As some of you already know, I finally built my pc. Let me first say thank you for everyone's help and support. :amen:

Being a computer geek since a young age, I have enjoyed building my own PCs. But it had been several years since my last try and so many things have changed, that I needed to learn. I also wanted to build a pc that I would be able to OverClock.

Bing and Gordon were a big help with advice. I found few other forum sites great for research and information;http://www.anandtech.com, http://www.amdmb.com and http://www.amdforums.com. Read the Sticky threads and they will lead you to a plethora of other sites. I ordered the Mother board, CPU, RAM and Case from http://www.newegg.com. The rest was purchased from OfficeMax.

Order from Newegg Asus A7N8X Dlx, XP2500, Corsair Ram and Chieftec case:

I laid everything on the dining room table (wife wasn't to thrilled :twisted: ). And the bottle of Capt. Morgans is for moral support.

I change the FSB jumber on the Mobo and installed it into the case. Plugged all the front connections, installed and connected the drives and video card. On the first try the system booted up but gave a warning the the CPU may be incorrect. The default FSB set in the BIOS is only 100, so I changed it to 166. Rebooted and BAM Barton 2500 and memory at 200 Mhtz. After some Bios tweeking, I changed the memory to match the cpu speed and disabled onboard devices that will not be used, started MS Windows XP Pro installation. Installation went great and loaded all the drivers from mobo cd. the only problem was that the sysytem would not power off; reboot automaticly. This is when I ran into a couple of snags.

During my research I learned of a problem some people were having with thier onboard sound. The easy solution is to disable APIC and re-install XP. I did this but still had the reboot problem plus a BSOD during shut down. (check this thread out - AMDFORUMS thread A crappy feature of XP is a setting to automaticly restart Windows on Error. Once the feature was disable;

Windows XP may encounter a problem during startup that results in a STOP error message. Depending on the system configuration, the error message on a blue screen may not be displayed long enough to record the error information. To gather important information about the STOP error message and to verify the cause:
    Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
    On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
    Click to clear the Automatically restart check box under System failure, and then click OK. The error message on a blue screen should remain on the screen so you can record the error information.
    I was able to see the BSOD and an error with PCI to AGP drivers. I don't have an AGP card so I disabled the driver and the system works perfect. :T

I have done a little OC'ing. Basicly changed my FSB and Memory to 200Mhz X 11 multiplier and running at stock voltage. System is able to successfully get 2.194 Ghtz
    CPUZ

I ran Prime95 for a couple of hours with no problems but runs a little to warm for my taste so I went back to my default setting. I also picked up some wire loom at the local auto parts store. I also moved one of the exhaust fans to the front and that also helped with keeping everthing cooler.

Mods: I have taken on old 40 mm HSF and modified to fit NB chip

Where to go from here: I plan on getting the SLK-800(a) with a Panaflow H1A. 2 more LED fans. Fan controller and a new video card. This will allow me to do the OC'ing.

Wish list and future upgrades: Bios Ugrade; PSU mod - add and change internal fan; passive heat sink for SouthBridge and maybe a couple of CCLs. And of couse a LCD display.

System:
    Asus A7N8X Dlx Rev2.0 bios - 1003
    AMD Barton "333" XP2500 w/OEM HSF
    Corsair TwinX 2x256 PC3200 LL
    ATI Radeon 7200
    Chieftec case w/ 450W PSU (1 intake /1 exhaust)
    WD 120 GB w/ 8MB cache
    52X CDRW/8X DVD/Logitech Elite Cordless Duo

Thanks again for everyone's help and please keep giving me suggestions.

http://home.nc.rr.com/ejimenez
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

luuking Good EJ!! :banana:

Which one was your CPU temp? 50C?

That's actually not bad at all. My friend has a 2500XP overclocked to 200MHZ FSB and is at the same temp with the stock retail cooler. Still I agree with you on getting a bigger better cooler for sustained OC'ing

Great Job :amen:

Bing
    Bing

Comment

• Eduardo
      Moderator emeritus
      • Jun 2002

thanks Bing ... :B I'm very happy with the outcome. The bonus was the refresher course in PC 101. I'm hoping to push the system to at least 2.3 Ghtz if not more.

The 3rd sensor is the CPU diode. It idles around 50c , load around 56c but when I OC it go up past 60c running with a load. and not one of these :toilet: Also look at the RPM of the fan 8500+ 8O

Comment

• SiliGoose
        • Aug 2000

So you didn't even get to have a single drink?

I always grab a beer when I'm about to install Windows...for me something always goes wrong then.

So, I notice there is no AGP card. You're using the nForce video? How is it? I don't think I've ever seen anyone take advantage of it before.

-Sili
        www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Bing Fung
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2000

Sili, the A7N8X-DLX doesn't come with onboard Video, so I suspect Eduardo is using a PCI video card... That or he hasn't installed one yet

Also notice the bottle is almost empty. Rumor has it he cracked the seal when he started. :LOL:

Bing
          Bing

Comment

• Gordon Moore
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Feb 2002

The default FSB set in the BIOS is only 100, so I changed it to 166
            I've been burned on that before...I guess they do it as a safety percaution but it sucks all the same that it won't autoidentify and set FSB correctly for you.

Something like the "Are you sure you want to exit" message.

You've done a great job. Looks grrrrrrrrreat (in my best Tony the Tiger voice). :T

"A RONSTER!"
            Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• SiliGoose
              • Aug 2000

PCI video? What's that?

-Sili
              www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Eduardo
                Moderator emeritus
                • Jun 2002

Well in a moment of dillusion last night, I ordered the thermaright SLK-800, adjustable enermax fan, 2XUV Reactive 80mm Fan w/ Quad UV LEDs - Red, Artic Silver III, Red CCL and red round cables. I can't wait till I get the parts in :dance:

Rumor has it he cracked the seal when he started
                Not to far from the truth. :twisted: Its nice to have a cold Rum & Coke on a hot summer day will sitting on the porch. Aaahhh I can taste the Capt Morgans right now.

Eduardo is using a PCI video
                Right again Bingoroni. Hopefully soon I will be getting a better video card, AGP of course.

PCI video? What's that?
                - hmph, well I never. Ha Ha.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"